Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you take 10 minutes to do so?
Not with the motorcycle.

I was spoiled with the 2IS because I had a reverse camera and parking sensors. With the SC430's high butt and lack of parking assistance, it is a bit more difficult to maneuver. Not 10 minutes difficult, but difficult...
Old 08-03-09, 10:26 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Camera and Parking Sensor Rant

No offense to anyone but what happened to plain knowing your vehicle. I can see needing sensors and cameras for a car that you are not used to or a RV where there is no visibility but your own car?

I backed into (light bump) another cars bumper once about 30 days after getting my first car. Since then I have learned my cars to the point where I can put them through very tight spots and back into any space with no fear of contact. I pride myself on this and now I sound like I am bragging so I will stop but keep in mind people have been backing up and parallel parking cars much longer then cameras and parking sensors have been around.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-09, 10:30 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99% of the time when I reverse park, it's in my driveway to make getting groceries in a little easier (stop the back of the car right next to the walk). Sometimes if I go to a car meet I will reverse, but I normally feel like doing it is a "Look at me!" sort of thing, which I'm never into. But I'm pretty damn decent at it, even without backup cameras etc. Mirrors are your friends!
Old 08-03-09, 10:59 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- I've never thought people reversed for cosmetic/show off reasons. Well... I guess I can see how in some cases they would but I think 98% of reverse parked cars aren't parked like that for anything related to how cool they think their car is.

- Nearly every single time I see somebody back into a parking space I'm 99% sure they'd spend less time total with coming and going if they just pulled straight in. In almost every situation on the planet you can back out of a space easier than you can back into one, and most people are at least somewhat if not MUCH more accurate with lining up inside the lines when they go the front way.

There are a few parking situations where it's safer to back in first and drive forward when leaving, but most people that park backward seem to do it every time they park.
Old 08-03-09, 11:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

im fine with it, but i think i would be annoyed with a teen trying to impress people while taking 15 minutes to park

I usually do this in busy areas where backing out would be impossible. but if im ever in the greater atlanta area, ill avoid doing this

and yes, backup camera's and tilt downs are your friend
Old 08-03-09, 11:53 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is why i hate going to meets and having to park next to the Lexus guys in reverse...

bc I SUCK AT PARKING IN REVERSE lol. It sucked even more in Japan b/c you had to park like that since the parking garages are so friggin small.
Old 08-03-09, 11:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reverse parker here as well, with my car and my bike.
I do it for a faster getaway.
Old 08-03-09, 12:13 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

For me, reversing is very useful usually when the space is tight.

And I don't take 10 minutes.
Old 08-03-09, 12:20 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
No offense to anyone but what happened to plain knowing your vehicle. I can see needing sensors and cameras for a car that you are not used to or a RV where there is no visibility but your own car?
Nothing happened to knowing your vehicle, but the addition of sensors, a rear-visibility camera, and tilt-down mirrors have made it easier-- which is quite understandable. Being able to see more of your car and its surroundings doesn't hurt, and in some cases, becomes more efficient. When switching to another vehicle, it takes time to readjust to the process, is all, since you have less sensory aids. It's not a lack of skill, moreso than the discipline involved; combine the two for the best of both worlds, is what I say.

Also, for the sake of my vehicle when others are parking, I'm glad these features exist, since for some, you've gone far enough only when you've tapped the car in front or in back of you.
Old 08-03-09, 12:30 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Also, for the sake of my vehicle when others are parking, I'm glad these features exist, since for some, you've gone far enough only when you've tapped the car in front or in back of you.
Agreed. My car got bumper parked into a couple weeks ago. Not very happy about it, the paint is fine but there's this little bend in the plastic, not sure that can even be fixed? Another time with another car I came back to my car with a minivan basically on top of my car. The bumpers were still touching and because my car was lower, some of van was hanging over the rear bumper. So since he'd already done the damage and I couldn't easily get out of the spot anymore, I put it in reverse and moved the van.
Old 08-03-09, 12:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I freaking hate the majority of reverse parkers. If you can't get it on the first try every time then you just shouldn't be doing it. It holds people up trying to get around you, you look like a tool and really so what if it's quicker getting out of the spot when it clearly takes 3 times+ as long backing your **** into a spot. Sorry my little rant for the day, but in general parking areas, reverse parking should be banned. It's NOT cool no matter what you think.
Old 08-03-09, 12:53 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

When I was overseas it was regulation that you reversed park in case something went down and you had to make a quick move. Combat parking is what they called it. When I got back home in 07 it was pretty much standard procedure even for reservist and national guardsmen. But when I see civilians do it I do roll my eyes but at the same time it does help out when you are ready to leave your parking spot.
Old 08-03-09, 01:33 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's not because of aesthetics, it's just easier to leave (and safer compared to backing up into traffic).
+1 here, I don't like backing up to where I can't see past the douchebag's Excursion and can't tell if there is a car coming from there or not.
Old 08-03-09, 02:16 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you take 10 minutes to do so?
Yup.. this is not directed towards Phil or any CL memeber, but I always wonder the same thing when I see ppl reverse park. Cops do it for a good reason (so when they got shot in the head they can still go after the bad guys), but I don't see anyone else needing to waste the 280-point-turn, brake pads (here's a dust pan for you) and half a tank of gas. Hot import night is in Atlantic City this week folks, not here not tonight.
Old 08-03-09, 02:19 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For Health & Safety reasons a lot of companies I visit now require all employees and visitors to reverse park their vehicles. Forget, and often the receptionist will politely request you go out and turn the car round.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park