Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Kia Soul

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Kia Soul

By general CL interest, a Review of the 2010 Kia Soul.

http://www.kia.com/#/soul/explore/

In a Nutshell: Obvious competition for the Nissan Cube and Scion XB, with (apparant) good build quality and an impressively low price.

(Two-tone interior shown)

Kia introduced the all-new 2010 Soul hatchback this year, as its answer to Scion's very successful xB. When Scion introduced the xB several years ago, with its shoebox styling (for space efficiency), barn-door aerodynamics, and annoying center-stack gauges, it was, admittedly, by Scion's own marketers, aimed at young people. In fact, the name "Scion" means "Youth". Yet, the xB turned out to be just as attractive, if not more so, to not-so-young people....in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and even with some retirees. Older people (if they could put up with the cheap/goofy center-gauges) found the xB to have good gas mileage, Toyota quality (Scion being a Toyota division), loads of space efficiency (pun not intended), and, just as important, a low price. The original xB had a 1.5L engine, but the second-generation xB got significantly larger, more complex, and went to a 2.4L engine.

So, this year, enters Kia's all-new Soul, and Nissan's transplanted Cube from its home Japanese market. As this is not a Cube review, I won't say much about it, except to say that it is shaped roughly like the Soul and xB (a two-box design), somewhat smaller, and more utilitarian in nature, having been essentially a mini-handyman's van back home in Japan. The Soul, for the most part, picked up where the first-generation Scion xB left off. It's about the same size as the first-generation xB, has a much more conventional dash/gauge panel, and has a similiar low price. And, unlike the first xB, it has a gimmicky, light-show audio system upgrade....more on that below.

I did not receive a specific or personal request for a Soul review, but noted the general CL interest in it, and after consulting with a respected CAR CHAT member, we decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and review it. I'll do a full review of it now, since my other CL review requests are still on hold until those models are released in this area; he may (?) do a Soul review later if he has a chance to. I ended up doing the review at a local Dodge/Kia dealership that had just recently lost their Dodge franchise as a result of the Chrysler bankrupy. They were one of the 1000-plus Dodge/Chrysler franchises that got axed. So, of course, they are now relying on Kia sales to keep the place in buisness. The salespeople there told me that, despite no current factory incentives, the Soul is currently the top-selling Kia at that dealership, so, naturally, they had a number of them in stock. Kias, BTW, in the American market, rarely have their own exclusive dealerships; they almost always share facilities with other franchises, so my guess is that the loss of the Dodge franchise there will eventually be replaced with something else.

In the American market, four versions of the Soul are offered....Soul, Soul Plus (+), Soul Exclaim (!), and Soul Sport. A limited-production Soul Denim model will also be offered, though the "Denim" name will not mean Levi's Denim material inside like on the 1973 AMC Levi's Gremlin. It will be esentially special paint, trim, and wheels. Base Soul models come with a 122 HP, 1.6L four and a 5-speed manual transmission. The other models come with a 142 HP, 2.0L four and a choice of the five-speed manual or non-Sportshift 4-speed automatic. An AWD option would be ideal in a vehicle of this type, but, unfortunately, is not offered........you have to move up to the Kia SUVs to get it. And, with the automatic transmission, I was not impressed with the 2.0L's power...more on that below.

After briefly looking at a number of Soul models, I thought the Plus (+) model was one of the best values for the dollar (although they all have generally low pricing). So, for the review, I chose an automatic Plus model painted an interesting greenish color called Alien (more on that below). It was one of my more pleasant review experiences, with some super-nice people there, though the vehicle itself is not particularly exciting to drive, and has rather mediocre performance. But, like other newer Hyundais and Kias, it exhibited generally good build/assembly quality, though, of course, as a first-year design, its long-term reliability is a question mark. Many of its chassis and powertrain components, though, come from other, more proven Kia products, and it does, of course, include the superb Hyundai/Kia 10/100 limited powertrain and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranties.

On with the review. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Kia Soul 2.0 Automatic Plus (+)

Base Price: $15,900

Options:

Audio Upgrade Package: $400

Carpeted Floor Mats: $95

Destination/Freight: $695 (about average for a smaller vehicle)

List Price as Reviewed: $17,090

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted 2.0L in-line 4, 142 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 137 Ft-lbs @ 4600 RPM,
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 24 City, 30 Highway (for both manual and automatic)

Exterior Color: Alien (yes, that's what Kia calls it)

Interior: Black (Soul logo) Cloth

PLUSSES:

Low, affordable price.

Superb Hyundai/Kia 10/100 and 5/60 waranties.

Same good EPA mileage for both transmissions.

Nice firm power-steering feel, with little numbness.

Body roll well-controlled.

Short turning radius.

Nice brake-pedal action.

Nicely-done paint job for the price.

Some interesting paint colors.

Nice automatic transmission fore-aft shifter lacks the annoying zig-zag.

Well-done, protruding side body mouldings.

Solid exterior hardware.

Slick-as-butter snap-folding side mirrors.

Superb underhood layout....one of the best.

Nice stereo sound, but the light-show package somewhay gimicky.

Front-door storage pockets unusual in this price class.

Plain but durable-feeling plastic interior trim.

Solid interior hardare.

Excellent, clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Good turn-signal-flashers location on the dash.

Easy-to-use, clearly marked, solid-feeling bottons/controls.

Good headroom, front and rear.

relatively good legroom, front and rear, for a vehicle this size.

Nice fabric headliner.

Well-finished cargo area for a car of this price (with one notable exception).

MINUSES:

Wimpy torque, even with the larger 2.0L engine.

4-speed automatic transmission blunts some performance.

AWD not an option.

Rather slow steering response.

Rather firm, noisy ride over bumps, even with non-Sport tires/suspension.

Skimpy sound insulation.

High road/tire noise on rough/coarse pavement.

OK but mediocre exterior sheet metal.

Odd-looking red-plastic cubby-linings.

Hard, unpleasant sun-visor material.

All-hard-plastic interior and door panels have virtually no padded surfaces.

Uncomfortable (IMO), hard, flat, unsupportive seat cushions.

So-so seat fabric quality.

Gimmicky stereo-rhythm lights.

Cargo-area cover not standard, but an accessory.

Dated ignition switch.

Underhood prop-rod (but OK, maybe, in a car of this class)

No separate manual Sport-shift-gate or paddles for the automatic transmission.

Relatively thick, chunky D-pillars impede rear vision slightly.

Brand-new design means (yet) unproven reliability.

No current factory cash incentives outside of the Government Cash-for-Clunker program.

EXTERIOR:

The Soul, as you walk up to it, can't really be mistaken for anything else on the road. Though its classic two-box design is strongly similiar, in general profile/outline, to both the Nissan Cube and the Scion xB, you won't likely confuse it for either one of its two competitors....and you sure won't confuse it with any other American-market Kia product. The Soul's headlights, grille, taillights, D-Pillar, and semi-oval/square hatchback shape are noticeably different from the xB and Cube. The sheet metal solidness is OK, but I've seen better. Doors close reasonably solidly, but fall short of a Mercedes/Volvo bank-vault "thunk". The paint job was well-done for a car of this price, with a good gloss and reasonably smooth texture (some orange peel shows through). There are 8 exterior colors offered, depending on the model. I liked the Java (coffee brown), bright red, and the Alien Green on my test car, which was a rather dull but interesting cross between a muted grass-green and lime-green. All of the exterior hardware was solid and well-done, and the twin outside mirrors not only had good, solid-plastic housings but snap-swiveled buttery-smooth into and out of their locks....better than on some luxury cars I've seen. The twin body side-mouldings were mounted rather low down the side of the doors, but were large, thick, and protruded out far enough from the doors that they looked like they would be pretty effective in warding off door dings in parking lots. There was no protective body cladding on the bottom of the vehicle to protect the paint from damage from road debris; nor were there any standard splash guards. The black cladding on the lower-front-end and lower-rear-end (why didn't they put it on the lower sides instead of in front and back?) was well-done, though, felt solid, and didn't look particularly cheap. The black, shiny windshield A-pillar trim added a little touch of class.....other trim around the window frames was a less-classy flat black.

UNDERHOOD:

The rather thin sheet metal hood opens up with a prop rod and a lack of gas struts to hold it up, and lacks an underhood insulation pad, but of course, that is understandable at the car's low price. Under the hood is a superb, open, uncluttered layout.....I wish all vehicles could be like this today. The transversely-mounted, 2.0L four fits in extremely well, with NO annoying plastic engine cover and plenty of room to reach things on all sides of the engine and transmission. The battery is to the right of the engine, completely open and exposed like the engine itself. So is just about everything else under the hood. A traditional, simple, easy-to-unscrew radiator cap lies right in front of you, with dipsticks, filler caps, and reservoirs equally simple and accessable. I have noticed this on other four-cylinder Kia products as well, so it is not just limited to the Soul. If only Mercedes and Lexus would do their underhood layouts like this.....they (and some others) can be a nightmare.

INTERIOR:

The Soul Plus interior on my test car didn't have the two-tones or the bright-colored accent trim that some other upper-level Soul models did. It had, in general, a little too much solid black and dark gray for my tastes. There was solid plastic literally everywhere, with virtually no padded surfaces of any kind. The door panels, likewise, were solid black plastic trim, but had handy cubby-pockets and cupholders at the bottom for carrying things. Headroom was excellent both front and rear (my car didn't have a sunroof, which often cuts headroom). Legroom was good in front and, with the front seat adjusted for my frame, good in back too. Rear footroom was good, even for my big shoes getting in and out the door-seat opening....a tight point in many vehicles. The headliner was a fairly nice but thin fabric; the sun visors were hard and unpleasant-feeling. The steering wheel was well-designed and the rim, to my tastes, has a good feel. All of the interior hardware was solid and well-done, and the *****/controls were well-designed, solid, clear, and easy to use. The primary gauges, set in circular tunnels, were clear and easy-to-read. The green-arrow turn-signal flashers are cleverly set a little lower than usual....in the middle of the speedometer circle, instead of higher up on the panel where they are sometimes hidden by the steering wheel. I found the seats rather unimpressive, with hard, flat cushions that were a little uncomfortable, lacking in side support, and with black fabric that felt loosely-woven and not very durable. The upper part of the seats, in the specific trim level I had, were a little lighter gray with "Soul" logos stitched in the fabric. Something rather odd (I had never seen it in vehicle before) was the red plastic mouldings that formed the structure inside the glove box and top-dash flip-compartment. It is not visible when the doors are shut, but is rather garish and noticeable when they are open. The rather thick D-Pillars, in the back, do cut into some of the rear visibility, but not seriously. Even though the interior, I felt, was over-plasticized (common in low-priced vehicles), the plastic, like on the new all-plastic Subaru Impreza/Outback Sport interiors, felt durable and solid. It did not feel flimsy or poorly-made, like in some cars, although the one small exception, the center-console flip-up cover, could have been a little more substantial.

The stereo sound was quite impressive for a 17K car....but that seems to have been intentional, as the Soul is aimed at young, music-oriented drivers. The $400 Audio Upgrade package, which my test car had, includes a sub-woofer, speakers literally everywhere, and a gimmicky, circular set of red-orange demon-lights in both front-door speakers that glow/pulsate with the music intensity....the red-orange lighting of the stereo readout screen matches the color. A circular **** on the dash can adjust the intensity, rhythm, and (thankfully) turn the demon-lights off if desired. A circus gimmick, IMO......but some young people might like its effect while listening to Hip-Hop or Rap music (hopefully keeping their eyes on the road while driving). Satellite radio, unusual in a car of this class, also comes with the package.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area was fairly well-trimmed for a car in this price range, with plastic walls on each side, but a nice fabric headliner like in the cabin, and thin but fairly plush-feeling black carpeting on the floor. The hatch opened and shut with a slightly more solid feel than the doors and hood, and the high, boxy roofline added to space efficiency inside and the ability to carry tall things. There was not a lot of fore/aft horizontal cargo space with the split-rear seats up, but they both drop for added cargo space at the push of two solid-feeling buttons on the seatbacks. The release buttons are fairly easy to reach from the back of the vehicle, so remote buttons in the rear of the cargo area are not needed. A temporary spare tire and jack, instead of a real spare, lies in the usual place under the trunk floor, but I won't complain much about that in a vehicle this inexpensive...at least it beats a bottle of Fix-a-Flat. Yes, Mercedes omitted even a temporary spare and put a bottle of Fix-a-Flat in the $94,000 E63 AMG I reviewed last year. Go figure.

What I WILL complain about, however, in the Soul's cargo area, as I would in any vehicle, regardless of cost, is the lack of a standard cargo cover to hide your valuables in back. This is a serious matter, and, IMO, is NOT the place for automakers to be decontenting and cutting costs. Kia is not alone in doing this, as I see it on a number of vehicles, some costing a lot more than a Soul. True, automakers, if it is not standard, usually make one available as an option or a dealer-installed accessory, but, even on entry-level vehicles, one should not have to choose between that and having to throw a blanket or sheet over what you carry in the trunk. Even a blanket, to a potential thief or someone who would break ito a car, is a giveaway that there is something under it that you don't want him or her to see, and could arouse curiosity. Automakers have discovered, though, that they can make one or two hundred extra dollars (or more) at either the factory or dealer level by making it a stand-alone option, part of an option-package (which can bump up the price even more), or a dealer accessory.

ON THE ROAD:

An OK-driving vehicle, but more appliance-like than Sport-like. Start up the 2.0L four, which is also used in some other small Kia products, with a traditional metal key/fob and an old-fashioned, side-column ignition switch. The four fires up and idles reasonably smoothly and quietly, but not quite as refined as Honda and Toyota fours. On the road, it has adequate power for normal, sensible driving, but its rather wimpy torque level (only 137 ft-lbs. at a rather high 4600 RPM) doesn't handle the rather inflexible 4-speed automatic transmission very well. I can understand why Kia will not sell the automatic with the even smaller and less-powerful 1.6L four on the base Soul, and restricts that engine to the 5-speed manual transmission. I complained earlier that AWD was not available on the Soul, but I can see that, with an automatic, this engine would not be able to handle the extra weight/drag of AWD. To do so, Kia would have to put in a larger or turbo engine, and then (perhaps) the superb, roomy underhood layout would be compromised. The FWD 2.0 and automatic, though, is OK as long as you are on fairly level ground, drive sensibly, and aren't loaded up to the hilt. Engine noise under acceleration is not bad, and there is some, but not a lot of exhaust noise. Gas mileage, on the other hand, is quite good for a conventional gas-engine vehicle, with both the manual and automatic coming out at 24/30. Kia's sticker says that up to 36 MPG, on the upper range, can actually be achieved, 6 more than the official EPA numbers. I tend to at least partially agree, as I myself, on trips, in my own cars, have done better than the EPA numbers......even the older, less accurate ones.

The 4-speed automatic transmission, as I pointed out above, is somewhat inflexible and, especially with the A/C on, tends to blunt some of the engine's performance, but, otherwise, shifts smoothly and has a nice, slick-feeling fore-aft shifter action where you don't have to screw around with those annoying zig-zags. There is no manual Sport-shift gate; nor are there sport-type steering wheel shift paddles, but, of course, this is a rather mediocre drivetrain and does little to encourage sport-driving to start with. If desired, like for engine braking on downhills or added power uphill, the transmission can be downshifted conventionally from fourth through the lower gears by simply pulling the lever back through its regular gate the old-fashioned way.

The chassis/suspension is OK, but, of course, a ways off from BMW. The best part of it is the nicely-weighted steering that gives a smooth, somewhat heavy feel (I like that; I've never liked numb, ultra-light, overboosted power steering). The wheel doesn't self-center well, but gives you a pretty good idea, by feel, of what the front tires are doing. Steering response is a little on the slow side, though body roll is fairly well-controlled. The rather slow steering response feels, to me, more like the simple ratio in the steering rack more than the suspension itself. Ride comfort, while not harsh, was distinctly firm over most bumps, but perhaps that was also a factor of the car's tires, before my review, having already been warm from a previous drive that morning and also having sat in the sun.........that drives the tire's PSI up a little. I always check, before a review, with my own tire gauge, to see that the tires are at or close to the recommended PSI's, but, if they have been out in the sun, normally you shouldn't bleed them........higher PSIs are then usually normal. Wind noise, from the rather low insulation level, was not bad, but there was marked road/tire noise on coarse or rough asphalt and concrete. The tires were fairly quiet only on glass-smooth asphalt roads. I didn't actually measure it, but the car's turning radius seemed quite short, and low-speed manuverability for parking was good.

Brakes, IMO, were one of the car's best points. I liked the way the pedal felt, with smooth, immediate response and little or no sponginess. If the chassis and steering didn't come quite to BMW standards, the brakes, for the most part, did. The stopping distance was not Porsche-quick, but the brakes were generally a pleasure to use. Their action was linear, progressive, and pedal pressure matched the response. In addition, the brake and gas-pedal placement was such that I didn't have any problems with my big circus-clown size 15 shoes hanging up on the bottom of the brake pedal like what happens
with some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

As is obvious by now, I had mixed feelings about the Soul. Considering its price, it is not a bad vehicle, and, like other Hyundai-Kia products, generally gives you your money's worth (and, for not much money at that). Its warranty is excellent (and partially transferable). The paint job (and colors) are generally well-done. It is tightly built, with no squeaks or rattles. Steering is slow but has a nice feel. Brakes, likewise, are smooth and pleasant to use. Headroom and space efficiency inside is excellent. The underhood layout is superb......something found on few new vehicles nowadays. Material quality inside, though stark-looking, is generally high. And, even with no current Kia factory incentives, with the Federal Cash-for-Clunker program, a new Soul could be a very inexpensive deal to trade up to, especially if you are trading in a older, gas-guzzler. Its high EPA mileage is likely to get you a $4500 credit if your old car gets at least 10 MPG worse.......a $3500 credit if your old vehicle gets 4 MPG or more less. Added to that, of course, is the fact that state sales tax on a new car is now deductible, though it is unlear at this time if the interest on the car loan (if you finance it) will also be.

But the Soul has its quirks and failings, too. The interior, in some versions, is rather stark-looking. The fabric seats are unimpressive. Handling is OK but also rather unimpressive. The 2.0L engine could use a few more horses, and the four-speed automatic another gears. The rather firm, bumpy ride, high road noise level, and uncomfortable seats make this car, IMO, much better suited for short stop-and-go trips for shopping than for long, extended stretches on the Interstate. The demon-eyed audio system, especially at night, is more suited for a haunted house than for driving conditions in an automobile. Putting a simple cargo-cover in the rear isn't asking too much. And last, this is an all-new vehicle, with no previous reliabilty record, although many of the most important and expensive parts in the drivetrain are taken from other already-proven Kia products.

So, is it worth what it costs? Probably yes, especially if you don't plan to use it to drive long distances and don't overload the engine. You are not getting a luxury vehicle by any means, but then, of course, you're not paying for one either. The interior is stark compared even to other low-priced Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but then the customer base that the Soul is intended for by Kia's marketers is generally not concerned with interior plushness. So, once again, the Koreans have come up with another value-winner in the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nice review so overall which one would you pick say for a college student / graduate?

cube
xB
soul
Old 07-29-09, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
nice review
Thanks.

so overall which one would you pick say for a college student / graduate?

cube
xB
soul
If reliability was the main factor, I'd probably pick the xB, providing that the student didn't mind the silly center-mount gauges. If dollar-for-value is taken into account, it's hard to beat the Soul, although, to be fair, I have not reviewed a Cube yet.

Also, for a first-time new-car buyer, which a college student is likely to be, Scion's simple, no-haggle deals (like Saturn's) make first-time car buying a whole lot simpler and easier. Of course, that prevents any factory or dealer discounts, so the price will be higher than the Soul's for that reason as well.

College students, though, who might want to try their hand at traditional haggling and negotiating, might want to look at the Soul.....under the right circumstances, they could get a heck of a deal. The Soul's superb, simple underhood layout is also a good starting point for a student who would want to do routine service like oil changes, spark plugs, filters, etc.......

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-09 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very thorough review, Mike.

I have driven the Kia Spectra and Rio for rentals before, and I was actually quite happy with the performance of the engines and transmission, but hated the noise insulation and use of hard plastics. Seems like such issues are the same with the Soul (your general quips about build and material quality), although the ride of the Soul seems more sport-like oriented (read firmer) for a younger market appeal.

However, I'm not sure if the Soul will attract a younger market. Sure, it's quirky and different, but not as appealing as the Honda Civic or Scion brand as a whole. I think that the Soul will appeal to the same masses that were appealed to the first-gen xB, which are older folk that want a bargain car, gas efficiency, low insurance costs, and functionality. Too bad that Kia's vehicles have very poor depreciation rates when compared to its competitors such as the Civic and xB; both have avid fan bases that won't be swayed by the Soul's gimmicks.
Old 07-29-09, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Very thorough review, Mike.
Thanks.

I have driven the Kia Spectra and Rio for rentals before, and I was actually quite happy with the performance of the engines and transmission, but hated the noise insulation and use of hard plastics. Seems like such issues are the same with the Soul (your general quips about build and material quality), although the ride of the Soul seems more sport-like oriented (read firmer) for a younger market appeal.
For some reason, the Rio and Spectra did not get quite the same interior quality as their Hyundai Accent and Elantra cousins. The difference is quite noticeable. The Soul is obiously aimed at a market that cares little for interior plushness or ride comfort.

However, I'm not sure if the Soul will attract a younger market. Sure, it's quirky and different, but not as appealing as the Honda Civic or Scion brand as a whole.
Price-wise (and perhaps size-wise), the Soul is probably more comparable to a Honda Fit than a Civic, although the Soul's 2.0L engine is a little larger than the Fit's. The Civic line does not have a 5-door hatchback in the U.S. either (it does overseas)

I think that the Soul will appeal to the same masses that were appealed to the first-gen xB, which are older folk that want a bargain car, gas efficiency, low insurance costs, and functionality. Too bad that Kia's vehicles have very poor depreciation rates when compared to its competitors such as the Civic and xB; both have avid fan bases that won't be swayed by the Soul's gimmicks.
Kia vehicles have a bigger depreciation rate than they deserve. That depreciation rate reflects the former poor quality of Kia products, and their former undesirability on the used car market. Today, that poor quality is no longer the case, but, for some reason, their used-car values just haven't followed suit. Granted, the Soul has some shortcomings in interior comfort, noise level, and trim, but it seems to be a well-constructed car that is not going to break down every time it's raining.

I also did not list poor depreciation in the Soul's "MINUS" column because, being an all-new product, it may not go that same route as its predecessors did. Only time will tell. At the Kia shop I was at today (as I explained in the review) they told me the Soul was currently their best selling vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-09 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 10:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Kia vehicles have a bigger depreciation rate than they deserve. That depreciation rate reflects the former poor quality of Kia products, and their former undesirability on the used car market. Today, that poor quality is no longer the case, but, for some reason, their used-car values just haven't followed suit.
The same can also be said for Hyundai.

Most of their products, even the well acclaimed Sonata and Veracruz, are about 50% of their original value after only two years. I'm actually interested to see how the Genesis will look like two years from now.

Bargain finds for the savvy consumer, but a bad rep for Hyundai...
Old 07-29-09, 10:37 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review Mike.

Last edited by bruce van; 07-30-09 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

well done. The review was great. I like this car and hope to see more on the road. Just another alternative for young buyers ( or the parents of young buyers).

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-30-09 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

If reliability was the main factor, I'd probably pick the xB, providing that the student didn't mind the silly center-mount gauges. If dollar-for-value is taken into account, it's hard to beat the Soul, although, to be fair, I have not reviewed a Cube yet.

Also, for a first-time new-car buyer, which a college student is likely to be, Scion's simple, no-haggle deals (like Saturn's) make first-time car buying a whole lot simpler and easier. Of course, that prevents any facory or dealer discounts, so the price will be higher than the Soul's for that reason as well.

College students, though, who might want to try their hand at traditional haggling and negotiating, might want to look at the Soul.....under the right circumstances, they could get a heck of a deal. The Soul's superb, simple underhood layout is also a good starting point for a student who would want to do routine service like oil changes, spark plugs, filters, etc.......
awesome feedback mike! i always get people asking me what cars good for college student, i always wonder which one of these 3 is good
Old 07-30-09, 12:53 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The alternatives are massive in this class. It must be hard to shop in this class
Old 07-30-09, 03:47 AM
LexFather

Damn Mike that was quick. We talked about it and he got it done! Great review Mike when I have time I'm going to check one out as well.

If the price was higher, with more spec, do you think its still a good deal?

Old 07-30-09, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Nice review Mike. Just one question, why would you consider short turning radius a minus?
Thank You. That was a good catch on your part ....and a typo on my part. I corrected it, and shifted it to the PLUS column.

I put a lot of attention into my reviews, but errors sometimes still get through.
Old 07-30-09, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome feedback mike! i always get people asking me what cars good for college student, i always wonder which one of these 3 is good

Thanks, Henry. There are, of couse, other good choices in this class as well. One of my favorites is the Suzuki SX-4, which, believe it or not, includes a three-position FWD/AWD/4WD Lock switch for roughly the same price as these vehicles. SX-4's start around 16K or so, and include standard AWD. The sedan version comes with FWD only.

Another, of couse, is the Subaru Impreza Hatchback/Sportwagon, with its long-proven AWD system, but the Impreza runs slightly more....starting at 18-19K and running into the low 20s.

AWD may not be much of an issue in your SoCal area but it is very useful in many parts of the country....pssibly as close as some of the mountains surrounding L.A.
Old 07-30-09, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The same can also be said for Hyundai.
Currently, though, the public seems to be coming on to Hyundai a little more, overall, than Kia.
Old 07-30-09, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The alternatives are massive in this class. It must be hard to shop in this class
They are. Never mind just reviews......whole books could be written on the entry-level market.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Kia Soul