Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hs250

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 07:43 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota has forgotten the fact that they were trying to distinguish between Toyota's and Lexus' design language. The HS looks like the love child of the Avensis and the Corolla.
I'm hoping that the 1-series competitor does not suffer the same fate as the HS. And if they manage to ruin my beautiful GS, I'll never forgive them
Old 07-20-09, 07:57 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

let's just say nobody will find this car to be "Beautiful", except maybe corolla owners...
this car is FAIL in my book also, no matter which way you cut it. They should just create ES hybrid like the Camry hybrid and call it a day.
Old 07-20-09, 08:01 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't driven the HS but I would consider it. It looks like it would be a very good city car: just enough power + pretty good handling + safety + hybrid drive to turn off the engine at a light.

If it really does handle the way autoblog describes it, I think it will be a bigger hit than many are expecting. There are a lot of people who really don't need power....

After driving it in the hills surrounding Los Angeles, the handling gets a thumbs-up from us. The HS uses MacPherson struts up front (with all of its parts completely different to the Prius) and a double wishbone rear suspension. The steering rack is not mounted on rubber bushings to keep the line of feedback undulled, and the electric power steering is speed sensitive. If you get the Touring Package, the suspension is tuned for even sportier handling. And if the truth be known, the package added up to a car that we thought handled better than the rear-drive IS Convertible. In fact, we drove them back-to-back just to make sure. We're not saying it could outperform the IS 350C, but in terms of meeting our expectations for cornering, steering, and feedback – sheer handling enjoyment– the HS wins.
Old 07-20-09, 08:09 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I think Lexus priced the car right. Starting at $30K would be much too low with all the technology.

Whether the HS looks like a Corolla can be debated. Unfortunately, we can all agree that it's not good looking by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were running the show at Toyota, I would have Lexus come out with a sporty 2-seater hybrid version of the Prius. That would have given eco-friendly buyers another option and given Toyota a wider range of cars to sell.

I think people with cross shop the Prius and HS and decide if they want to pay the premium. A sporty 2 seater Prius would have introduced potential enthusiasts to more hybrid technology.
Old 07-20-09, 08:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check out all the comments at the various auto blog sites.

look how many people say it looks like a corolla
Old 07-20-09, 08:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm tempted to change the title as its caused a flame fest and we don't need that.

I don't like the HS styling much, have to wait to see it in person. I do think for the PRICE its a tech marvel. Nothing is close.

man. don't change the title. it's fun.

nothing like a heated discussion.
Old 07-20-09, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack

Congrats. Now check Acura ZDX comments.

The fact is a lot of people (and I mean A LOT) on the internet
1. Hate Lexus
2. Don't read (so they think its based on the Corolla and have no idea what an Avensis is, goes to next point)
3. Can't point Germany on a map
4. Automatically say ANY Lexus looks like a Toyota so this car stood no chance with those people
5. Hate hybrids

All the while Lexus continues to rack up awards, sales and do well. These people wouldn't buy a Lexus ANYWAY.

Old 07-20-09, 08:39 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

All the while Lexus continues to rack up awards, sales and do well. These people wouldn't buy a Lexus ANYWAY.
Can't say it any better myself and most of them likely drive either Honda Civics or Mazda3s but think they are driving a "poor man's BMW"... Well, whatever floats their boats...

The HS250h will sell regardless what the internet trolls and haters say and that's the bottom line.

Old 07-20-09, 08:41 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like it or hate, think it's worth the price or not... whatever. But it DOES look an awful lot like a Corolla, as evidenced by the OP's pictures. To those who reacted so violently against that evidence, even stooping to personal attacks on the OP, I can only say that you must be blind sheep Lexus fanboys! *inside joke alert*
Old 07-20-09, 08:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, is this how things have to play out on CHIT CHAT..., jeezzzzzzzzzzz

But not to single out CL, this isn't unusual on the internet is it.

So the HS is ugly, I think it's well designed for its intended market.
Old 07-20-09, 08:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

The fact is a lot of people (and I mean A LOT) on the internet

2. Don't read (so they think its based on the Corolla and have no idea what an Avensis is, goes to next point)

this is where all the misunderstanding lies.

people are NOT saying the HS is based on the corolla.

they are merely saying it LOOKS like a corolla.

look. overlayed. near exact match nose angle, A and C pillar, and roof line, and butt.
proportionally, only the wheel bases are different.
If any of you can't see this, then i have a good optometrist friend I'd like to recommend.

frankly, the interior is overkill. semi-aniline leather...... which is not even available for the IS or GS...
boooooo

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-20-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 09:11 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

After seeing it in person the I don't think it look likes a corolla very much at all. But if you want to look at the car in 2 dimensions all the time than the internet is the place to go. Maybe have a carboard cut out pic of the car stuck to the side so you can't see it in different angles.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 07-20-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 09:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

frankly, the interior is overkill. semi-aniline leather...... which is not even available for the IS or GS...
should be available on the GS. I mean the ES has it and thats based on the camry, why cant the HS have it? The RX has it too.

as for the overlay, yes both have an A and C pillar... LOL
the entire roofline is different, headlights different, and trunk is obviously different.
Old 07-20-09, 09:27 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Besides both having lower body cladding, they are in different shapes. Headlights different, lower facia different, grill different

besides proportions, the cars dont look similar

Last edited by RXSF; 07-20-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 09:45 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I can't see jack except a Corolla in the overlayed picture...

Quick Reply: Hs250