Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda President: No need for RWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 11:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda President: No need for RWD

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/honda-...wd-sedans.html

Front-wheel drive cars, no matter how well-engineered, are always a compromise when it comes to being fast. They do enjoy some advantages in terms of packaging and efficiency, however, and Honda's new president Takanobu Ito is firmly behind the continued absence of RWD cars in the company's lineup.

The move is especially curious with regard to the premium end of the market, where RWD sedans continue to dominate at brands like Mercedes-Benz, BMW and even Lexus. Still, Ito is sticking to his guns on the issue.

"It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have been doing for more than five decades," Ito said of a front-engine, rear-drive car, according to an Automotive News report.

Instead, Ito wants to continue pushing into new territory in terms of packaging, technology and efficiency, with new engines and transmissions for its medium and large-sized sedans - especially hybrids. A first step in this direction was the announcement last fall of a manual transmission available in the SH-AWD 2010 Acura TL alongside a pair of new V6 engines.

This leaves Honda's premium Acura brand on similar ground to Audi, with front-drive sedans supplemented by AWD, though Acura hasn't fully embraced AWD the way Audi has with its quattro system.

Will Acura be able to compete against the upper echelon of the luxury market with primarily front-driven, highly-efficient sedans? Or is the dynamic advantage of RWD simply too important to overcome? Let us know in the comments section below.
Old 07-20-09, 11:07 AM
LexFather

Me to Mr. President-no need for Acura

I should feel better as I've stated it won't happen for years...yet, the "I told you so" doesn't feel appropriate.

Hyundai>Acura

That sounds better

Old 07-20-09, 11:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I try not to get too consumed in the Acura-bashing that seems like a popular past time here, but it's hard not to laugh at this. A few months ago the company announced that they were killing the NSX, then later announced the termination of the plan to build a V-8, and now we have this news. The Acura fans must be mad.

This really reinforces the fact that Acura is more of a top-shelf Honda trim level, not so much an independent brand
Old 07-20-09, 11:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This really reinforces the fact that Acura is more of a top-shelf Honda trim level, not so much an independent brand
I agree and this type of leadership will lock them into current market position.
Old 07-20-09, 11:13 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese cars are past the days of cheap/flimsy reputation. Honda NSX, Honda Legend (this may need a renaming for the US), Honda Integra would probably do just fine imo, although a new Integra/RSX would conflict with the Civic Coupe.

Given the pressing times, I'm not surprised that pure sports cars are on the backburner.

Last edited by superchan7; 07-20-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 11:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I dont know myself if theres a need for RWD. I find AWD systems much superior.
Old 07-20-09, 11:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree and this type of leadership will lock them into current market position.
I don't even know if they will be that lucky. Infiniti has chased Acura down in recent years and they are showing promise with the next M, soon to be shown at TAS. Even though the EX and FX are semi-fails, the brand still has a bright future IMO.

Audi continues to gobble up market share, Hyundai is coming with RWD, V8s, and luxury features that no Acura has ever had, while brands like Cadillac and Jaguar continue to show signs of life.

Considering all of this, I really think Acura is going to be facing an uncertain, bleak, and quiet future. The competition is way too strong, and the brand is showing no signs of trying to regain it's former competitiveness.

There is something to be said for "dancing to your own tune", and another for being utterly ignorant.
Old 07-20-09, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well I dont know myself if theres a need for RWD. I find AWD systems much superior.
This announcement basically means they will remain all Accord based vehicles and some will have AWD optional. That is what he is saying without saying it. They feel what they are doing now is fine, amazingly.

Old 07-20-09, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

And here I was praising the Takanobu Ito. I take back what I said.
Old 07-20-09, 11:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

And to really make sure we understand that he means it, this is the last year for Honda's sole RWD car...the S2000.
Old 07-20-09, 11:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well I dont know myself if theres a need for RWD.
Which of the two would you prefer?

Old 07-20-09, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Which of the two would you prefer?

Here is a company that can make the NSX and S2000 hang with the best of them and its not like they chose FWD. They KNEW RWD was the only way to go.

They simply REFUSE to invest in the cost and tech for RWD, V-8s etc while everyone else has.

Then again, this is the same company who's luxury brand offers an ancient 5 speed auto so we can't be surprised.

Old 07-20-09, 12:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate motorbikes with a passion
Old 07-20-09, 12:09 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Me to Mr. President-no need for Acura

Haha, I also thought this.