Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forget the EPA- Consumer Guide Auto gives it's real world MPG numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 08:48 AM
LexFather

The RX and Prius have the new hybrid tech and its apparent here. I know when I drive like a bat outta hell my h can get MPG in the high teens and low 20s..but thats if I do it the entire gas tank and that never happens.

Old 07-21-09, 10:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The RX and Prius have the new hybrid tech and its apparent here. I know when I drive like a bat outta hell my h can get MPG in the high teens and low 20s..but thats if I do it the entire gas tank and that never happens.
I was waiting for your input here...I didn't believe the GS460 vs GS450h MPG numbers.

what's your average MPG?
Old 07-21-09, 10:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let Mike give us his actual, personal info with his car but my experience has been that the GS 460 has a decent lead on the highway, but the 450h has a sizeable advantage in stop-and-go driving.

The 460 can easily go over 30MPG on the highway...the 450h I drove for a while could not go over 27. In the city the 450h could do somewhere around 23 or 24, while a 460 probably dips into the high teens or very low 20s.

I would imagine that they are very close to breaking even with eachother, but the advantage of one or the other lies in which type of driving you do most often.

Mike can probably shed more light...
Old 07-21-09, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
My 09 IS F EPA is 16 City/24 Highway. I just achieved a 26.4 average going 80 most of the way on my trip back from San Francisco. The EPA numbers are definitely underestimated most of the time.
Yes, I agree that the EPA numbers can be beat....I sometimes do so myself. But, is the 26 MPG you got with the IS-F in a constant 8th gear? If so, the engine, despite its abundant torque, may be lugging, even at 80 MPH.

(By lugging, I mean near-idle speeds, which, in higher gears, can stress the crankshaft and main bearings some).

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-09 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 12:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'll let Mike give us his actual, personal info with his car but my experience has been that the GS 460 has a decent lead on the highway, but the 450h has a sizeable advantage in stop-and-go driving.

The 460 can easily go over 30MPG on the highway...the 450h I drove for a while could not go over 27. In the city the 450h could do somewhere around 23 or 24, while a 460 probably dips into the high teens or very low 20s.

I would imagine that they are very close to breaking even with eachother, but the advantage of one or the other lies in which type of driving you do most often.

R & T saw 34 MPG Hwy in their 450h. Either way, the GS and LS hybrids need to get the updates that RX and Prius got. I am still in awe of the 30/28 rating that the RX450h has.
Old 07-21-09, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, is the 26 MPG you got with the IS-F in a constant 8th gear? If so, the engine, despite its abundant torque, may be lugging, even at 80 MPH.

(By lugging, I mean near-idle speeds, which, in higher gears, can stress the crankshaft and main bearings some).
No lugging lol, the high number of gears/ratios (8 vs. 6) was intended for close ratio effect in the IS-F application, not to give even a greater overdrive effect. 80mph in 8th will be turning over 2000 rpm, way above idle speed.

Impressive mileage for the IS-F considering performance capabilities.
Old 07-21-09, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
I was waiting for your input here...I didn't believe the GS460 vs GS450h MPG numbers.

what's your average MPG?
Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I'm still learning my car but there are a few factors involved. For one I tend to drive the h differently, more cruising and watching my MPG, totally opposite the 430 or anything else. Thus I may have higher MPG htan most b/c I am paying attention. I have gotten as high as 32-34 on the highway and I've gotten 27 and 28 to a tank.

On the other hand I have done some speeding or if I am cruising at 80 with the windows down Its getting about 23-24 MPG. I have seen a tank average in the 22 and 23 range.

The 450h really PREFERS the highway. Cold starts and stop and go around the town hurts it.

For instance I get better MPG in Atlanta cause the roads are big and I'm driving on the highway compared to when I'm in Athens which is a small town and I'm driving within a 5-7 mile radius.

What the article fails to mention is
-450h is quieter
-450h is faster
-450h is cleaner SULEV
-450h has class leading passing power

I can only imagine the NEXT GS 450h might hit 30 MPG average like the RX. That would truly be something!

Old 07-21-09, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No lugging lol, the high number of gears/ratios (8 vs. 6) was intended for close ratio effect in the IS-F application, not to give even a greater overdrive effect. 80mph in 8th will be turning over 2000 rpm, way above idle speed.
In that case, I agree that 2000 RPM is enough to prevent lugging, at least on fairly level surfaces that are not hilly. I reviewed an IS-F when it first debuted, but I didn't remember all the specs in the gear ratios. Usually, the higher the gear after about 4th-5th or so, the greater the overdrive. I'll take your word that the IS-F is an exception. And, given the vehicle's sporting character, it would make sense.
Old 07-21-09, 06:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I can only imagine the NEXT GS 450h might hit 30 MPG average like the RX. That would truly be something!
It would really be something if Toyota could incorperate cylinder deactivation like the Accord hybrid did. If an Rx hybrid can do 28 MPG Hwy without that tech., I don't see why it couldn't hit 30 with it.
Old 07-21-09, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It would really be something if Toyota could incorperate cylinder deactivation like the Accord hybrid did. If an Rx hybrid can do 28 MPG Hwy without that tech., I don't see why it couldn't hit 30 with it.
It doesnt need cylinder deactivation and that tech has really not proven too useful. THe entire engine can turn off/on at will and you NEVER notice the change. Its quiet amazing.

Its so funny people remarking "Is it on" With the 430 with the L-tuned exhaust its "I can here u coming a mile away"

Old 07-21-09, 06:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

It doesnt need cylinder deactivation and that tech has really not proven too useful. THe entire engine can turn off/on at will and you NEVER notice the change. Its quiet amazing.
I am well aware of the workings of a two mode hybrid. But the fact is that a 6 cylinder hybrid could run on 3 cylinders as its already augments by electric motors. Thus the 255 HP Accord hybrid recieved a 35 MPG Hwy rating. Recall that under the same system of rating the 197 HP Altima, a full hybrid, was rated for 36 MPG Hwy.
Old 07-21-09, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I am well aware of the workings of a two mode hybrid. But the fact is that a 6 cylinder hybrid could run on 3 cylinders as its already augments by electric motors. Thus the 255 HP Accord hybrid recieved a 35 MPG Hwy rating. Recall that under the same system of rating the 197 HP Altima, a full hybrid, was rated for 36 MPG Hwy.
http://www.honda-accord-guide.com/Accord_Hybrid.html

The revised ratings are 25 City, 33 Highway and a 28 Average.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Shame Honda didn't stick with offering it.

Old 07-21-09, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It doesnt need cylinder deactivation and that tech has really not proven too useful.
Agreed. Chrysler uses cylinder deactivation on the non-SRT Hemi, and Honda uses it on some V6's, but the difference in fuel mileage really isn't that much. That's because the cylinders still getting fuel have to work harder for each one to do their share of the load. In other words, the laws of physics don't change; they are just redistributed among fewer cylinders.
Old 07-21-09, 07:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

http://www.honda-accord-guide.com/Accord_Hybrid.html

The revised ratings are 25 City, 33 Highway and a 28 Average.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Shame Honda didn't stick with offering it.

Exactly. It could run on 3,4, or 6 cylinders as needed. This really was a good powertrain for an Acura model. Stupid Honda. A second gen. Accord hybrid is coming, but if its anything like Honda's current 4 cylinder hybrids Ill pass. I still can't believe they cancelled the Accord hybrid in the first place when the Camry hybrid sells 40,000 units a year.
Old 07-21-09, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cylinder deactivation is completely useless, if anything it does more harm then good. The Accord hybrid was rated under old EPA system.

Cylinder deactivation only means that the "deactivated" cylinders are not getting fuel. They are still moving and going through a compression cycle, so when you have lets say 300hp 8 cylinder engine running on 4 cylinder, it means that the other 4 cylinders are spinning a 150hp compressor. It just adds complexity and additional wear and tear on one bank of cylinders, injectors, spark plugs, etc.

Quick Reply: Forget the EPA- Consumer Guide Auto gives it's real world MPG numbers