Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The beak returns! 2010 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 11:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Believe me, the new MDX is not a soft rider and it is a 7 seater, much bigger than the RX. The MDX is generally cross shop with the GX470.
The MDX is not a soft rider but it is not as firm as the RDX and not as sporty or driver oriented as the RDX although its performance and handling are very impressive, especially for a fairly large SUV.

GX470 is truck based, much more geared toward serious offroading(even though owners never take them off road), does not handle very well nor is it sporty, only offers a v8, is a good deal more expensive, does not sell in large numbers, and gets terrible fuel economy. Yes some buyers do cross shop the MDX and GX470 and they are occasionally compared in comparisons but they are very different types of vehicles and most buyers cross shop the RDX and MDX.

The Volkswagen Toureg, Caddilac Escalade, Land Rovers/Range rovers, and maybe Tahoe, are a little more in line with competition for the GX but the LX470 also sometimes gets compared with those vehicles and I am sure LX/GX are also compared but because of the size, power, 7 seat, price, yes the MDX is sometimes also compared to the GX but the RX is still the MDXs main competiton and they share more in common. The MDX because of its size, impressive performance/handling also sometimes gets compared and cross shoped with the BMW X5 or Infiniti FX despite them being based on rwd platforms, offering v8s, and being more expensive.

The RX and MDX are both car based, both use v6s, both are geared more towards mainly comfortable competent driving on paved roads with some light offroad capability(MDX has better offroad capability), when optioned similarly both are priced not too far from each other, both sell in very large numbers and are one of the if not the top seller/moneymaker for each brand, both get decent fuel economy for their size/power(RX gets better especially with the fwd model and hybrid but is smaller then the MDX). The MDX focuses more on sport/handling/size/more seating while the RX focuses more on comfort and a softer ride and appeals much more to women.

Either way a RDX, X3, EX, Q5 are more or less niche vehicles in a very different segment then the larger and softer riding more utilitarian RX that occupies a much broader and more popular segment which is why the RX and MDX sell so well compared to the smaller more niche RDX, X3, EX, Q5. Unless someone hits a giant home run, the small sporty lux SUV/CUV is not going to be very popular or have huge sales like vehicles in the RX/MDX segment.
Old 08-19-09, 04:53 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb 1st Drive

2010 Acura RDX FWD 1st Drive Review
BY STEVE SILER
August 2009
Less money, less weight, same personality.

Three years ago, the compact-luxury-SUV segment had but two entries: the BMW X3 and the Acura RDX. Now, of course, the segment has gotten rather crowded, so the time is right for the originals to get freshened. The X3 is due for a full-scale redesign soon, but the RDX is receiving a mid-cycle refresh for 2010. The RDX has always represented a strong value, and that’s the case now more than ever, as heavier and pricier entries push the limits on what people will spend for small utes. ($50K-plus for a well-optioned BMW X3 is a stretch, even for the most ardent Bimmer-philes.) To really hammer that point home, Acura presents a lighter, thriftier entry in the form of the new front-wheel-drive RDX.

Now, front-wheel drive is hardly our favorite arrangement for anything that attempts to combine luxury and sport. But at a claimed 3750 pounds (add 10 pounds or so for the Tech Package), the two-wheel-drive RDX saves roughly 200 pounds over the all-wheel-drive version—previously the only available arrangement—making it one of the lightest compact luxury SUVs around. In the process, Acura says the front-to-rear weight distribution shifts forward a bit compared with the all-wheel-drive version (59/41 versus 57/43), but fuel economy goes up by 2 mpg to 19/24 from 17/22 and the price is exactly $2000 lower, starting at $33,330 for the 2010 model year. Acura expects this to be a trade-off many will be willing to make, particularly in the Sun Belt, where all-wheel drive is seen primarily as an off-road-only thing.
Specifications
VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door wagon

PRICE AS TESTED: $36,430 (base price: $33,330)

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 140 cu in, 2300cc
Power (SAE net): 240 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 260 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 104.3 in Length: 180.7 in Width: 73.6 in Height: 65.2 in
Curb weight (est): 3750 lb

FUEL ECONOMY (MFR'S EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 19/24 mpg
Does Front-Wheel Drive Kill the Fun? Nope

Is it a trade-off, however, that enthusiasts will be willing to make? Does the RDX still have that sporting edge that we’ve liked in the past? And beyond the drivetrain, how else has the RDX benefited from its mid-cycle refresh? Well, after a first spin in the new front-driver—with an all-wheel-drive model on hand for comparison—we came away convinced that Acura has been able to preserve the delicate balance of technology, value, and dynamic prowess offered by its little ute.

We expected a truckload of torque steer with all 240 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque channeled through just the front wheels, but it simply wasn’t there. We even let go of the steering wheel during a couple of full-throttle launches—something we would never do in a Saab 9-3 or even Acura’s own front-wheel-drive TSX V-6—and found little tugging to the right that wasn’t immediately straightened out on its own. And this RDX feels as quick as ever, but we’ll have to wait until we can run numbers on a front-driver to see if it can near the 6.4-second 0–60 run our long-term 2007 RDX AWD turned in at the end of its stay with us. Steering feel seemed mostly unfazed by the concentration of power at the turning wheels, although we admit we didn’t get a chance to do much hard charging in the twisties.

What we can say, however, is that the most troublesome of the RDX’s earlier issues has been rectified, that being a painfully brittle ride. Today’s RDX offers an excellent balance of feel and composure, while still keeping body roll in check. All RDX models now feature redesigned center-stack controls and a new standard rearview mirror with integrated rear camera display. Additional ambient lighting and standard Bluetooth and USB connections have been installed, although all told, the interior still doesn’t match the sense of occasion presented by the Mercedes-Benz GLK or the Audi Q5.

The same can be said for the exterior, which wears new front and rear bumpers, subtly revised lighting elements, and the new corporate beak, as well as new 10-spoke 18-inch wheels. However, for just $36,430 loaded, the front-drive RDX is a terrific bargain that you don’t have to live in the Sun Belt to appreciate.
Old 08-19-09, 08:36 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start this post with a bit of back ground. I really dislike SUVs, I prefer a nice low slung coupe or sedan. That being said I have been driving a 2008 Acura RDX for about one year now, and I LOVE IT! Before getting the RDX I had a 2008 MDX, don't get me wrong the MDX was a great vehicle but after driving an RDX for the first time I knew I had to have one. So I traded down.

The thing I love most about this car is the way it handles, it handles better than any SUV ever should. The MDX had the sport suspension and the RDX will out handle it any day of the week. The ride is firm, but not offensive.

It is surprisingly quick as well, I think one magazine managed to pull a 14.9 in the 1/4. The gas mileage is good as well, as long as you stay out of boost. The car has never had to be serviced for anything but routine maintenance.

I am not trying to argue with any of the people on here who hate the RDX for whatever reason. I am just giving my opinion of the car after driving it for over a year!

-Josh
Old 08-19-09, 08:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CLNSC3
Let me start this post with a bit of back ground. I really dislike SUVs, I prefer a nice low slung coupe or sedan. That being said I have been driving a 2008 Acura RDX for about one year now, and I LOVE IT! Before getting the RDX I had a 2008 MDX, don't get me wrong the MDX was a great vehicle but after driving an RDX for the first time I knew I had to have one. So I traded down.

The thing I love most about this car is the way it handles, it handles better than any SUV ever should. The MDX had the sport suspension and the RDX will out handle it any day of the week. The ride is firm, but not offensive.

It is surprisingly quick as well, I think one magazine managed to pull a 14.9 in the 1/4. The gas mileage is good as well, as long as you stay out of boost. The car has never had to be serviced for anything but routine maintenance.

I am not trying to argue with any of the people on here who hate the RDX for whatever reason. I am just giving my opinion of the car after driving it for over a year!

-Josh
Thanks for sharing, glad you like it, thats what matters.

Old 08-26-09, 01:55 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Squaaaak!!!!
Attached Thumbnails The beak returns! 2010 RDX-squwak.jpg  
Old 08-26-09, 02:17 PM
LexFather

Dude, NWS warning...that thing got uglier.....

Old 08-26-09, 02:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura outdoes itself with an even more goofy front end, wtf.
Old 08-27-09, 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I recently considered the TL for my wife and I thought it was a great car but it was over priced and I couldnt deal with the grille. They are painting them and they look much nicer.
Old 08-27-09, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

OMG, that beak looks awful in a red car.
Old 08-27-09, 08:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

What's with those bright fog lamp bezel surrounds.............
Old 08-27-09, 08:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Thats Acura's attempt to draw attention away from that ugly grill
Old 08-27-09, 01:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It's a last generation Saturn View thing. As if it wasn't sealed before, Acuar's fate is now for sure in the dump.
Old 08-27-09, 01:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's a last generation Saturn View thing. As if it wasn't sealed before, Acuar's fate is now for sure in the dump.
I knew I had seen that ugly crap before, thanks for reminding me.... I think.
Old 08-27-09, 08:08 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Squaaaak!!!!

Wow, the grill on the new one is 100x uglier than the older models!
Old 08-27-09, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CLNSC3

I have to agree. The RDX is one of the sportiest-driving SUV's I've seen yet. It lacks the sheer power of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, but has FAR better build quality, incorporates the first use of a Honda/Acura 4-cylinder turbo in the American market, and has something very few other Honda/Acura fours do......good torque at low RPM's.
I also agree with the comment about the ride quality.....firm, but not harsh. Still, though, a little too firm for my tastes.

Quick Reply: The beak returns! 2010 RDX