Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 11:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Gojirra99

Surely you are not comparing a quarter million dollar Ferrari Enzo to a $100000 Lexus

You guys up North pay more for for all brands of cars, I guess its due to the smaller market.
Old 07-10-09, 05:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Gojirra99

Surely you are not comparing a quarter million dollar Ferrari Enzo to a $100000 Lexus

You guys up North pay more for for all brands of cars, I guess its due to the smaller market.
The point still stands that they do make limited production cars regardless of the price with firm production limits, they refused to add even one single unit of 600hL production after they have filled out the 150 units/year Canadian allocation, which disproves your assertion that they will just build more and sell as many as they can to make more money if they have more orders than their pre-determined production limit.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-13-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-13-09, 09:40 AM
stringman5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at Genesis

I have had LS's and GS's since '95, and I put 200,000 miles on all of them. My wife has an '05 RX. I was going to trade my 2000 LS (195,000) and get the new loaded 4.6 Genesis. I took one home for a test drive, and hated the ride. Also, it looked a little cheap inside. But the biggest reason that I didn't get it was that the Hyundai dealer is also the Ford dealer. I knew that when I needed service, the shop was likely to have a Ford mindset or lower end Hyundai mindset. Also. I felt that I probably not be happy in anything other than another Lexus. I ended up with an '07 LS460 with 19,000 miles, and am glad I chose the Lexus.
Old 07-13-09, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by stringman5
I have had LS's and GS's since '95, and I put 200,000 miles on all of them. My wife has an '05 RX. I was going to trade my 2000 LS (195,000) and get the new loaded 4.6 Genesis. I took one home for a test drive, and hated the ride. Also, it looked a little cheap inside. But the biggest reason that I didn't get it was that the Hyundai dealer is also the Ford dealer. I knew that when I needed service, the shop was likely to have a Ford mindset or lower end Hyundai mindset. Also. I felt that I probably not be happy in anything other than another Lexus. I ended up with an '07 LS460 with 19,000 miles, and am glad I chose the Lexus.
thanks for your write-up. just wondering, why did you 'hate the ride' of the genesis?
Old 07-13-09, 11:24 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyundai these days looks good, but when entered the Genesis four-door, the interior was tacky
Old 07-13-09, 12:18 PM
Epik151
Driver

It better be tacky, if the interior was any good, it'd be better than Lexus all-around except for residuals and dealer service.
Old 07-13-09, 04:12 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Hyundai these days looks good, but when entered the Genesis four-door, the interior was tacky
The Genesis interior looks much nicer than the GS interior so I don't know where you get "tacky". The leather in the 4.6 is really nice, much nicer to the touch that Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. All of this in a car about the price of a loaded ES. Tacky?
Steve
Old 07-13-09, 07:04 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks good in the pictures, but I feel the plastic materials are a bit cheap. I don't know I think it's me.
Old 07-13-09, 07:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Genesis interior looks much nicer than the GS interior so I don't know where you get "tacky". The leather in the 4.6 is really nice, much nicer to the touch that Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. All of this in a car about the price of a loaded ES. Tacky?
Steve
I don't think its tacky either, I think its done well. I do prefer my GS interior though. The optional leather dash is nice but I wonder how it will hold up over time. This is their first luxury car.

Old 07-17-09, 09:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I dont like the Hyundai interior either, its not tacky, but it just looks like a .....well it looks like a Hyundai interior
Old 07-17-09, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
It looks good in the pictures, but I feel the plastic materials are a bit cheap. I don't know I think it's me.
You are simply not going to get away from plastic interior parts today. I don't necessarily like it any more than you do, but, like it or not, it is a fact. It has simply become the norm for virtually all mass-produced vehicles. Some vehicles have more plastic inside than others.....some, much more. But, all vehicles, today, have a fair amount. Cost-cutting and weight reduction ae the two main reasons why.

However, not all interior plastic is cheap or flimsy. The new Subaru Impreza and Forester, for example, are almost all interior plastic, except for the padded door armrests, but it is a thick, solid, durable plastic. Some Dodge/Chrysler and Mitsubishi interior plastics, on the other hand, are flimsy junk.
Old 07-21-09, 10:31 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Epik151
It better be tacky, if the interior was any good, it'd be better than Lexus all-around except for residuals and dealer service.
According to KBB, the 2009 Genesis sedan is predicted to have much better residuals than the M35/45 and even slightly edges out the 2009 GS (granted, it's a prediction).

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
All this talk of how it looks and good the interior looks ect, but what about where a serious amount of money is spent in regards to safety. In my eyes the low cost of these cars has to have a place where the hyundai is skimping on and that would have to be the safety element. Ask yourself, what tires do these cars come out with, what is the quality of the steering and brake components and how do they fair in crash testing ect, ect. They still have a long way to go before you can start comparing the two brands IMO.
Huh?

Hyundai is known for making many safety equipment standard (such as ESC) unlike most other mainstream manufacturers.

The higher trim Genesis coupe has Brembo brakes, the steering is said to have a BMW feel and has LSD (which the G37 does not).

As for crash tests - pretty much all the newer Hyundai/Kia models are at/near the top (for instance, the Kia Soul bests the Honda Fit on the NCAP crash test).

The other hot topic is copying other car manufacturer's design and the fact that there are only many design that is original. I can say that there is a big difference in a direct copy than two companies who are going in the same direction design wise. There is nothing original in that Hyundai, everything is a copy. It’s almost like buying a pair of knock off designer jeans or a fake Rolex. Almost every luxury car in this price range have something original about it, BMW's Halo lights, Audi's LED or oversize grill, Lexus logo or MB's front grill.
BMW's "eyelid" lights were first done by the Buick Rendevous.

Audi's oversized grille is just Audi's take of Chrysler's oversized grille (and Mitsu, w/ the Lancer, just took Audi's grille and inverted it).

As for the MB grille, just add a divider down the middle and many Lexus, Infiniti and Acura models' grilles would look like the MB grille.

For the most part, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura models have had either vertically slatted grilles or horizonatally slatted grilles (ooh, how original!) in order to make their models fit the "lux" mold (only recently have they begun to split from that, most notably Acura).

One can easily say the models w/ vertically slatted grilles for Lexus and Infiniti copied the look of Buick/Jag grilles.

And while the grille for the Genesis has the divider down the middle, one can't say that the grille is the same since MB doesn't have the waterfall/Klingon effect.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hyundai still has no originality. and that Equine looks ugly.

they're basically saying..... if you want a sprinkle of lexus, audi, bmw, mercedes.... all in one car, buy ours.
That's what people used to say about Lexus (and many still do - w/ the few original Lexus designs being regarded as ugly).

LS430 = S Class

2nd Gen GS = E Class w/ Buick/Jag grille

Originally Posted by FKL
The reality is the Japanese were styling bland and tasteless designs during the last two decades. It wasn't until L-Finesse that Lexus finally broke the Toyota connection of boring, vanilla, unoriginality.
1st off, have to separate out the Equus since it was design for the Korean domestic market - a market which likes its luxury sedans to be "traditional" (much like the Japanese market).

As for the Genesis, Hyundai knew the design was derivative, but they did it on purpose, since entry/acceptance into the lux market is predicated on looking like a luxury vehicle (i.e. - like other vehicles in its class).

Only recently have Lexus, Infiniti and Acura felt the freedom to stray from their earlier conservative designs.

As for the L-Finesse (at least w/ regard to the LS), I'd argue that it hasn't yet shown originality - the LS went from a S Class clone (LS430) to a toned down version of the Bangle 7 Series (which is why the toned down new 7 looks eerily similar to the LS from the side and rear).

Originally Posted by primecut
As a designer, I agree that there are only so many designs given the constraints of engineering. However, I disagree that the end result is copycats. There is a difference between being inspired by a trend or scheme, and copying a design. It's a fine line, but it's definitely there.

Here is my "subjective" idea of what constitutes as inspiration vs. copying:

This is copycat (Taillights + Exhaust tips):

Uhh, many models (even some econoboxes) have similarly shaped taillights.

And there are some taillight shapes/designs that have been used on many more manufacturers - such as the one that has been used on a previous gen Camry and many other makes (the Civic's taillight shape is eerily similar to that of the A4 and even Ian Callum's new Jag's taillights/trunk design, unfortunately, looks like a mash of the Hyundai XG350 and the Kia Amanti).

As for the exhaust tips, it has already been established that the LS wasn't the 1st.

Last edited by YEH; 07-21-09 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:54 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs400998
My first Lexus was a pre-owned 93 LS400. I traded it when it had over 90K miles and without a single problem during my ownership. A new Hyundai Genesis 4.6 is over $40K. I would get a pre-owned low mileage LS430 instead of a new Hyundai. In addition, Hyundai is still no Lexus.
The LS is at a class above the Genesis.

Lexus in Japan until recently was "just a Toyota" and the top of the line Toyota/Lexus is still a Toyota, the Century (even the Crown Majesta was considered "higher" than the Celsior, aka the LS).

I think we have gobe thru of this already in another thread, every single aspect of that Hyundai is a copycat of some other car. That is why it is so cheap, they save on design cost.
Whether they "copy", it still costs the same to hire the designers (I guess Lexus must have saved $$ when designing the LS430 and the 2nd gen GS).

I guess Mercedes must heading for a period of copying (aside from the new E Class) since they hired Joel Piaskowski, Hyundai's former head of its Cali design center.

Really, this is such a silly claim.

Anyway, Hyundai really isn't a Lexus competitor until it establishes a separate luxury make for the US market.

As it is, Hyundai is very much like what Toyota is in Japan, a full-line auto manufacturer/brand.

I would hold off arguing about prices until the car actually goes on sale. There were rumors that Genesis would cost under 30k with v8 fully loaded. That isnt the case now, is it?
Och - it would help if you got your facts right.

The under $30k set price was for a particular trim of the Genesis sedan, the trim w/ the 3.3L V6 engine which is available in SKorea; Hyundai prudently decided, ultimately, not to bring that variant to the US.

And yes - Lexus did emulate Mercedes w/ the LS430 (w/ the greenhouse/C-pillar and rear).

Last edited by YEH; 07-21-09 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
The higher trim Genesis coupe has Brembo brakes, the steering is said to have a BMW feel and has LSD (which the G37 does not).
genesis steering with bmw feel?! i don't know what "higher" trim is that, but the genesis i drove, the steering feel was far from anything like bmw. if anything it's probably more like lexus, with even slower response time
Old 07-22-09, 07:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with rominl, Genesis' steering feels more like a Lincoln MKS. It lacks feedback and responsiveness. And to the poster above with the picture of a black Genssis park next to the black MB e-class in the driveway, your neighbors must get a good laugh from Hyundai commerical in your driveway

Quick Reply: Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor