Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 01:56 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All debate aside; bring it on, I'd buy one...
Old 07-09-09, 02:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well we still don't know much about the Equus including how it drives or what it will be priced at, but I can personally attest to the Genesis being an extremely impressive value, as I've gone on two test drives and really thought about getting one to replace my 335i. I ended up getting an Aura instead due to the ridiculous incentives GM was offering me on it, but that's another story.

The one reason I decided not to go with the Genesis was that the dealer seemed like a ghost town and seemed to treat the Genesis as a foreign object... something they'd be happy to sell you but really had no idea what to do for you from there. Hyundai needs to heavily revamp their dealer network and service standards... at least in my area. Especially if they intend to sell the Equus.
Old 07-09-09, 02:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hyundai still has no originality. and that Equine looks ugly.

they're basically saying..... if you want a sprinkle of lexus, audi, bmw, mercedes.... all in one car, buy ours.

they got MMI, I drive, komand, all rolled into one.
Old 07-09-09, 02:47 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^Even if the design ques were *exactly* the same, (which they aren't) it doesn't mean Hyundai gets them for free. Hyundai still has to design the car themselves. As close as it might look to several other cars, the design doesn't come free. Hyundai is saving no money my mimicking the look of other cars. Hyundai, BTW, is not the only car company that does this. I don't know why so many people dish on Hyundai for it.
The truth is somewhere in between. Try making a sketch of your car without any references. Now try again while looking at a picture of your car. Much easier right? You still have to put in the work to make the sketch, but it's much quicker and far more accurate.

A lot of times, coming up with the fresh ideas that actually integrate well with engineering is the hardest part. By taking ideas from other companies, Hyundai knows that those elements are tried and true, and will work properly. That saves tons of money, which is why they can undercut other car companies.

Say what you will about how much/little Hyundai copies other cars, but when someone can point out specific parts of a car and say "Oh this taillight is from this car, and this console is from another car", then it's definitely problematic.

There is indeed a fine line between imitation and inspiration, and the judgment is obviously subjective. Personally I'm hesitant to support a company that is more imitation than inspiration at this point.
Old 07-09-09, 03:10 PM
LexFather

But everyone copies!!! Every car maker from Japanese to German to Italian to Sweedish copies!

THESE DESIGNERS GO TO THE SAME SCHOOLS!!! Think about that.

Its RARE for something to come totally new or fresh or that breaks the mold. What we have seen of late (IMO) are uglier and uglier cars, SUVs, etc. To Hyundai's credit while they are taking forms from different companies they are actually pulling it off well. Its quite amazing to think they are taking 3 or 4 different designs and blending it well.

In the Equus at least it does look and have the proportions of a luxury vehicle. I don't mean to pick on the RL but that is Honda/Acura's flagship vehicle and it looks like an Accord, period. Giant front overhang and no luxurious proportions. The Equus and Genesis follow a very nice RWD short overhang look. So I would much rather a luxurious looking copyish Hyundai than an Accord looking luxury badged car. The 3GS is no trend setter either, that goes to the 2GS. It at least keeps luxurious proportions and details so when you see it you think "hey thats nice, is that a Lexus"?

Jaguar just released their new XJ. It doesn't look like anything else in class but like Hyundai, you can see other styling elements in it.

Old 07-09-09, 04:16 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi, in recent years, have "come into their own" and begun to create a look, feel, and flavor that is very distinctively unique to each brand.
Sorry but Audi has been doing this for decades. The Japanese have just started.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But everyone copies!!! Every car maker from Japanese to German to Italian to Sweedish copies!

Its RARE for something to come totally new or fresh or that breaks the mold. What we have seen of late (IMO) are uglier and uglier cars, SUVs, etc. To Hyundai's credit while they are taking forms from different companies they are actually pulling it off well. Its quite amazing to think they are taking 3 or 4 different designs and blending it well.
This is a cop out, perhaps an attempt to shield the Japanese automakers from the obvious fact that they lacked design inspiration and fluid language for decades (where Hyundai is today). It's all too easy to write off a blatant copy with the line, "so what, everyone does it", but that's both illogical and untrue. The reality is the Japanese were styling bland and tasteless designs during the last two decades. It wasn't until L-Finesse that Lexus finally broke the Toyota connection of boring, vanilla, unoriginality.
Old 07-09-09, 05:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL

This is a cop out, perhaps an attempt to shield the Japanese automakers from the obvious fact that they lacked design inspiration and fluid language for decades (where Hyundai is today). It's all too easy to write off a blatant copy with the line, "so what, everyone does it", but that's both illogical and untrue. The reality is the Japanese were styling bland and tasteless designs during the last two decades. It wasn't until L-Finesse that Lexus finally broke the Toyota connection of boring, vanilla, unoriginality.
I think we know that Japanese style was never a super strong suit. On the other hand the media and the "Status quo" are unwilling to give them credit when due. SC 300/400 anyone? Nothing was shaped like that in 1992. The NSX looks timeless today. The LS might have copied the Germans but didn't look like a cheap Nissan sentra like the E-class or 5 series did with EXPOSED rubber bumpers.

Lets see here, with Lexus we had a bunch of different looking cars with the same emblem selling like hotcakes. We had the Germans making their vehicles all look the same but they were different sizes.

The Germans took a page from Lexus and now all their vehicles look different instead of the one box, 3 different size mentality.

BMWs now have huge Accordish overhangs, Ford "New Edge" features. Benz took SUV features with its fender flares.

Audi still insists on making all their sedans look identical the last 20 years. The R8 and TT are their different looking cars. Audi has never been known for great exterior design in the industry outside the TT. Tasteful but not "wow".

Please, get the wool out your eyes.

Old 07-09-09, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with 1SICKLEX on this one..........and we have discussed this issue in other threads. If you are going to design and style a body or four wheels, there are only so many practical shapes that you can come up with before you end up copying SOMEONE else, somewhere. Even Webster's Dictionary, for example, has a finite number of words in it. And, since the auto industry as we know it is some 120 years old, dating back to the 1890's, there's not a whole lot of new possible body styles left if you want to still make something practical for carrying several people around.
Old 07-09-09, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL

1SICKLEX is correct with this one....I don't see it as a cop-out. Besides, what's under automotive skin is often far more important than the skin itself.

Originally Posted by FKL
I wouldn't use Audi as an example. Granted, they can do some nice interiors, but their oversize grilles, IMO, are as ugly as Acura's new ones. Both companies, IMO, should have left the old ones on.

Originally Posted by FKL

The reality is the Japanese were styling bland and tasteless designs during the last two decades.
Would you consider this a tasteless, bland design? This is the Lexus SC400 from the late 90's. In my book, it is a beautiful car.....and, yes, Japanese.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-09 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:10 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
While Audi has been in the business for decades, I don't really think they had a solid direction on design theme until the A4 came out in 1996 or so. I don't argue they have some history in the way of neat cars before that, like the Audi Quattro back in the 1980's and the Audi version of the original VW golf even before that. From a technical standpoint, the Audi Quattro laid the ground work for the company, but stylistically the A4 defined the new image of Audi and their future.

I think what 1sick was getting at though, is that the Audi as we know it today started with the A4 and the soon following A6, A8, and TT. That was the point where Audi really walked out on to the stage and said this is who we are, and where our future is going.

The next 5-7 years will be vital for Hyundai to see how they approach it. Sooner or later, they need to find a unique niche besides "cheaper than the others"
Old 07-09-09, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
While Audi has been in the business for decades, I don't really think they had a solid direction on design theme until the A4 came out in 1996 or so. I don't argue they have some history in the way of neat cars before that, like the Audi Quattro back in the 1980's and the Audi version of the original VW golf even before that. From a technical standpoint, the Audi Quattro laid the ground work for the company, but stylistically the A4 defined the new image of Audi and their future.

But, with the Quattro, they didn't need a style or design theme. People bought Quattros for their traction and handling, not for the body styles or interiors. Of course, Audi went on to eventually do some of the best interiors in the buisness.

I think what 1sick was getting at though, is that the Audi as we know it today started with the A4 and the soon following A6, A8, and TT. That was the point where Audi really walked out on to the stage and said this is who we are, and where our future is going.
Even today, though, some people still consider Audis to be rebadged VWs. You and I know, of course, that is usually not the case (though they share some drivetrains). So, true or not, it shows that the so-called Audi "direction" has not been entirely successful.

The next 5-7 years will be vital for Hyundai to see how they approach it. Sooner or later, they need to find a unique niche besides "cheaper than the others"
Hyundai is not a niche, per se.......nor does it need one. They have become (as I understand it) the sixth-largest automanufacturer in the world (perhaps fifth now, with GM's bankrupcy), combining value, quality, nice interiors (except for the Genesis coupe), and a fairly wide range of vehicles. I, personally, also like the fact that a number of Hyundai products still have some ride comfort and (again, with the exeption of the Genesis Coupe), have not given in to the stiff-suspension/low-profile tire craze that has gripped so many manufacturers today.
Old 07-09-09, 08:42 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with 1SICKLEX on this one..........and we have discussed this issue in other threads. If you are going to design and style a body or four wheels, there are only so many practical shapes that you can come up with before you end up copying SOMEONE else, somewhere. Even Webster's Dictionary, for example, has a finite number of words in it. And, since the auto industry as we know it is some 120 years old, dating back to the 1890's, there's not a whole lot of new possible body styles left if you want to still make something practical for carrying several people around.
As a designer, I agree that there are only so many designs given the constraints of engineering. However, I disagree that the end result is copycats. There is a difference between being inspired by a trend or scheme, and copying a design. It's a fine line, but it's definitely there.

Here is my "subjective" idea of what constitutes as inspiration vs. copying:

This is inspiration (Bangle butt):

This is copycat (Taillights + Exhaust tips):

Old 07-09-09, 08:42 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai is not a niche, per se.......nor does it need one. They have become (as I understand it) the sixth-largest automanufacturer in the world (perhaps fifth now, with GM's bankrupcy), combining value, quality, nice interiors (except for the Genesis coupe), and a fairly wide range of vehicles. I, personally, also like the fact that a number of Hyundai products still have some ride comfort and (again, with the exeption of the Genesis Coupe), have not given in to the stiff-suspension/low-profile tire craze that has gripped so many manufacturers today.
Hyundai is actually the 11th largest auto manufacturer in the whole entire world.

1. Toyota Motor
2. Volkswagen
3. General Motors
4. Ford Motor
5. Diamler
6. Honda Motor
7. Fiat
8. Nissan Motor
9. Peugeot
10. BMW
11. Hyundai Motor
Old 07-09-09, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Hyundai is actually the 11th largest auto manufacturer in the whole entire world.

1. Toyota Motor
2. Volkswagen
3. General Motors
4. Ford Motor
5. Diamler
6. Honda Motor
7. Fiat
8. Nissan Motor
9. Peugeot
10. BMW
11. Hyundai Motor
Depends on which list you're looking at. Some show Hyundai 6th, some 8th, and this one 11th. Most of the ones I've seen show them sixth, if you include Kia with them, which is now Hyundai-owned.
Old 07-09-09, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
My first Lexus was a pre-owned 93 LS400. I traded it when it had over 90K miles and without a single problem during my ownership. A new Hyundai Genesis 4.6 is over $40K. I would get a pre-owned low mileage LS430 instead of a new Hyundai. In addition, Hyundai is still no Lexus
deja vu. rewind 20 years.

Originally Posted by gs400998
My first Mercedes was a pre-owned 83 S class. I traded it when it had over 90K miles and without a single problem during my ownership. A new Lexus LS400 is over $40K. I would get a pre-owned low mileage S class instead of a new Lexus. In addition, Lexus is still no Mercedes

Quick Reply: Hyundai:The New Lexus Competitor