Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Gives Green Light to 2011 335i GT Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Post BMW Gives Green Light to 2011 335i GT Hatchback

MUNICH, Germany — BMW has confirmed its plans for a 3 Series hatch called the 335i Gran Turismo, which follows in the footsteps of its bigger relative — the 2011 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo. It's slated to hit the streets in 2011.

Like 5 Series GT, the 335i GT will carry a price premium, settling in between the standard 3 Series and 5 Series. It is meant to rival Audi's A4 Avant lineup as well as the new Q3 SUV, which is an interesting point considering the compact X1 crossover is similar in size to the 335i and already set to come to the States in 2011.

With comparable models like the X1 and 5 Series GT, BMW offers proof that a global recession is not hindering its production plans: "We haven't cancelled the crossover of the 3 Series, as it is considered a volume builder with which we can earn good money," said BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer.

Like the 5 Series Gran Turismo first shown at this year's Geneva auto show, the 3 Series GT will have a unique two-stage tailgate, giving owners the option of opening just a small part of the trunk or the complete tailgate (including the rear window) if more space is desired. Remember, BMW does sell a wagon version of the 3 Series in the U.S., so the Gran Turismo will bring the model's body style count to five (coupe, convertible, sedan, wagon and the GT five-door).

Sources also tell us that two seating configurations will be offered, a four-seat or a more practical five-seat setup, and BMW's latest turbo and diesel engines will be offered. As far as we know no M3 version is planned.

Inside Line says: Seemingly, the slow sales of the X6 haven't changed any minds over in Munich, as BMW continues its commitment to this low slung five-door body style. At least in the near term. — Mike Lysaght, Correspondent

http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121816&bi...cleId%3D151786

Old 07-02-09, 08:16 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone, please call BMW and tell them to stop smoking.

5 series GT, X1 and now this?!
Old 07-02-09, 08:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

They have a 328 wagon, why not just offer the 335 wagon here?
Old 07-02-09, 08:21 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope other companies don't follow BMW's lead on this styling.
Old 07-02-09, 08:33 AM
Koma

So many models I've lost track. While I don't care for it and I think it is ultimately a mistake, at least unlike some brands they are offering more options. This however is just options that'll lose them money.
Old 07-02-09, 08:33 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care for it.

Is it just me or is the line between car, wagon, SUV, "SAV", and hatch becoming more and more blurred?
Old 07-02-09, 08:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty soon BMW will offer more models in North America than Ford, GM, or Toyota.

Is almost seems as if they are trying to liken their presence in the American market to that of Europe. Instead of being a premium, prestigeous automaker, they are going for an almost mainstream approach of "something for everyone".

Not so say they won't still have luxurious, premium models like the 7 Series, but as they continue to diversify the bottom end of their portfolio, it just makes the brand accessible to more and more people.
Old 07-02-09, 08:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Pretty soon BMW will offer more models in North America than Ford, GM, or Toyota.

Is almost seems as if they are trying to liken their presence in the American market to that of Europe. Instead of being a premium, prestigeous automaker, they are going for an almost mainstream approach of "something for everyone".

Not so say they won't still have luxurious, premium models like the 7 Series, but as they continue to diversify the bottom end of their portfolio, it just makes the brand accessible to more and more people.
Considering you can't find a BMW on a dealer lot for under 30 grand, and most are over 40 grand... I'd say they haven't made much progress in terms of accessibility. Acura, Audi, and even Lexus have a more accessible low end of the spectrum than BMW.
Old 07-02-09, 08:46 AM
Koma

That's one thing BMW doesn't have going for them in the US. They don't have a low-end brand except for Mini which is two models.
There was rumor a long time ago that they'd resurrect Rover auto to be their mainstream car line (Toyota competition).
Old 07-02-09, 09:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like crap, will linger in the back of lots if sold in US.
Old 07-02-09, 09:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Considering you can't find a BMW on a dealer lot for under 30 grand, and most are over 40 grand... I'd say they haven't made much progress in terms of accessibility. Acura, Audi, and even Lexus have a more accessible low end of the spectrum than BMW.
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. 1 Series are abound here in Atlanta- they're literally everywhere. Consider the coming X1 and it just seems like a whole new low for a "premium" auto maker. Then consider these new, rumored versions of the 3 series and it just seems odd that BMW, a premium brand here, is doing so much to diversify the bottom end of their portfolio. Admittedly, part of this is probably due to the coming CAFE standards as well.

BMW lacks a serious sports car while Audi has the R8, Mercedes has the coming SLS, and Lexus has the LFA. They were also supposed to be coming out with an 8 series, too. Where are those products? It seems that BMW has decided to cater to the bottom end of the luxury class while Audi and Lexus aim higher. Mercedes seems steady.

There was some talk a few years ago, about BMW struggling to remain profitable because they did not have the economies of scale that Lexus or Audi do with their parent companies. One of the proposed solutions was to build more models that could use more common parts to help lower costs across the line. Looking at the explosion of models in just the last 5-6 years, this does seem to be the case. They are likely trying to diversify and expand at the bottom end because it has the highest volume of sales and has the potential to earn the most money, while helping to lower common costs on common parts for all BMW vehicles.

At the end of the day, it is what it is, and the company has to do what it takes to survive. I am not trying to make it sound like BMW is in dire straits, but they are doing what is required to stay alive and profitable. It seems to me that in the midst of this "shift" the image of BMW is changing in America. It's hard to look at a brand that sells something the size of a Fit for $30K as as premium and exclusive as Mercedes, Jaguar, or Lexus, which don't. Unfortunately it sounds like Audi is preparing to follow BMW with the new A3, and a new A2.
Old 07-02-09, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
BMWs sells to people based on monthly payment. They ask for a reasonable down and since they continue to subsidize leases, you can get in a BMW for nothing. THe MSRP means nothing on the car. Add in free maintenance and its a no brainer for a lot of people.

You can look at any metropolitan newspaper and you can lease a 5 series for IS/C class/TL/ES money.

Old 07-02-09, 10:01 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who the hell took over after bangle left?
Old 07-02-09, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
who the hell took over after bangle left?
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...sign-director/

Adrian van Hooydonk will take over as Director of BMW Group Design with immediate effect. He succeeds Chris Bangle and will be responsible for design development for the BMW, Rolls-Royce and MINI brands.

The new Z4 was designed by women by inside and out FYI.

Old 07-02-09, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think that looks pretty ugly...... totally remind me of the freaking x6

Quick Reply: BMW Gives Green Light to 2011 335i GT Hatchback