Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Mercedes E550

Old 07-01-09, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Mercedes E550

By CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Mercedes E550

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/?utm_s...=E550W&yr=2010

In a Nutshell: A BMW 550i for slightly less-sporting drivers.

(Sorry that some of the shots are undersized.....I couldn't find any normal-sized Google ones of these particular shots)

Seems to be some CL interest in the new 2010 E550 (I got a couple of formal CL-member requests for a review), and, as they are now being introduced to the D.C. Metro area, it was off in my Outback this morning to write up a new 550. In general, a pleasant car to drive, but with some quirks, which you will see below.

The Mercedes E-Class has been the company's bread-and butter line in the American market for some time now, although, of course, the smaller, less-expensive C-Class makes the marque available to more people. And, even in the area of reliability, where Mercedes products have ranked very low for over 10 years now, the E-Class models have been a little better than their company siblings, and even that seems to be improving in the last couple of years or so. Several Mercedes products, including the E-Class, are now up to average in reliability, and are back once again on Consumer Reports' recommended list.

The last generation E-Class developed a good reputation, both among owners and in the auto press, for good chassis engineering, a good ride/handling combination, a smooth drivetrain, torquey V6 and V8 engines, an absurdly powerful and expensive 500 HP E63 AMG version (which I reviewed last year), and, of course, the traditional long list of Mercedes safety features. The new, 2010 version generally continues that legacy, though not all versions have been introduced yet. The only real complaint with the last version (besides the less-than-prefectly reliable electronics) was with the quirky, numb-feeling electro-hydraulic braking system, which Mercedes has since dropped.

For 2010, we once again have an all-new E-Class, which, in the American market, is sold, for now, in three basic trim lines and two body styles. 4-door sedans come in E350, E350 Bluetec (Diesel), and E550 lines. Coupes come in E350 and E550 lines.....no diesel coupe is offered (a mistake, IMO, as the Bluetec diesel is a superb engine). E350 models come with a 3.5L V6 with 268 HP and 258 ft-lbs. of torque. E550 models come with a 5.5L V8 with 382 HP and 391 ft-lbs. of torque. Bluetec diesels get a 3.0 V6 with 210 HP and 400 ft-lbs. of torque. Only one transmission is offered....the ubiquitous Mercedes 7-speed automatic with Sport/paddle shifts. Sedans are classified as Luxury or Sport sedans; Coupes come with the Sport-package standard and, like the sedans, have Premium-package options. As I understand it, the new E-Class high-performance AMG is not here yet (it will be offered later), and the AWD 4MATIC option will be delayed until September. The brochure and the Mercedes people don't agree on the AWD availability/delays, though. The brochure says that the E350/E350 Bluetec AWD is delayed; the Mercedes people at the shop waid it was the E500 version that will be delayed.....so that's all I can give you at this point. If you are interested in an AWD 4Matic model, check for latest details.

E550s, right now, are not plentiful, but, unlike the new Chevy Camaro and Toyota Prius which are very difficult to find unsold, are generally available at dealerships......the Mercedes shop I was at this morning had 4 available ones. I reviewed and test-drove a gray E500 4-door Sport Sedan with Black leather interior, as sedans are generally more available right now than coupes. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Mercedes E550 Sport Sedan.

Base Price: $56,300

Options:

Palladium Silver Metallic Paint: $720 (a classic ripoff)

P01 Premium Package: $4400

Destination/Freight: $875 (a slight ripoff; most manufacturers charge around $700)

List Price as Reviewed: $62,295

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudional-mounted 5.5L V8, 382 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque, 391 Ft-lbs. @ 2800-4800 RPM,
7-speed automatic transmission with Sport-shift and paddle shifters.

EPA Mileage Rating: 16 City, 24 Highway

Exterior Color: Palladium Silver (actually a medium gray)

Interior: Black Leather with Black Ash polished-wood trim

PLUSSES:

Extensive safety features.

Improving reliability record.

Smooth, quiet, torquey V8.

Butter-smooth, positive 7-speed transmission (but 7 speeds may be a little overkill).

Sport-Package, Dual-adjustable suspension settings both give relatively good ride comfort.

Smooth, superlative, right-now brake-pedal feel.

Good wind and road noise isolation.

Slick, ultra-smooth paint job.

Nice, classy stand-up hood ornament (these are becoming harder and harder to find nowadays).

Good interior fit/finish.

Interior trim materials better-done than before.

6 potential interior leather/M-B Tex colors available, depending on specific model.

Available dual sunroof option.

Multi-adjustable hood struts.

2-for-1 sun visors.

Semi-scalloped front seatbacks aid rear legroom.

Good front/rear legroom.

Power tilt-telescoping steering column.

Killer Harmon-Kardon stereo.

Clear gauges.

Nice, semi-soft-textured dash materials.

Nice-feeling headliner.

Well-done, traditional-Mercedes door-mounted power-seat controls.

Nicely-done steering wheel.

Standard First-Aid kit in the trunk.

MINUSES:

Rather pricey.

Extra-cost metallic paint colors a classic ripoff.

Unimpressive (by luxury-car standards) 4/50 warranty, even on drivetrain.

AWD 550 4MATIC option delayed (?) until September 2009.

OK, but not quick steering response.

Small but noticeable body roll.

(Mostly) super-dull exterior paint colors.

Rather low ground clearance from the lower-body panels.

Absurd underhood layout.

Temporary spare tire an insult in this price class (but most cars have them these days).

Hard-to-remove spare-tire cover.

Mediocre cargo area fit/finish for this price class.

Rear-folding seats an option; no pass-through available.

OK but unimpressive seat leather (AMG models are much better)

Front seat width/comfort marginal for wide, portly people.

Clearly-marked but complex NAV/stereo buttons/**** controller.

Awkward-adjusting inside mirror.

Poorly-located, confusing turn signal/cruise control stalks.

Mediocre exterior hardware.

Awkward, step-on parking brake.

Engine START/STOP button an option; should be standard.

Tight rear-seat footroom.

Awkward column-tab transmission lever.

Cheap-feeling, hard, sun-visor materials.

EXTERIOR:

Although this is, of course, an all-new E-class, the exterior styling, as you first walk up to it, is not much different from the rest of the Mercedes sedan/coupe family. Like the former E-Class did, it has strong styling ties to its corporate brothers, particularly the slightly smaller C-class, and also shares some strong front and rear-end cues with the Hyundai Genesis sedan. That's not to say that it is unattractive by any means...IMO, I find it a rather handsome car, though I personally would prefer a more squared-off roofline and a less swept-up wedge look towards the rear. As expected in a Mercedes product, the sheet metal feels substantially strong (maybe slightly less so for the trunk lid) and the doors all close with a reasonably solid thunk. The paint job, though not entirely free from some slight orange-peel, is, nevertheless, superb, and is polished slicker and smoother than an Obama press conference. But the extra-charge for metallic colors, a common practice on European-nameplate vehicles) is, IMO, just another rip-off....in this case, $720. In general, with a couple of rare exceptions, American and Asian-nameplate automakers don't do that. As I said, the quality of the paint job is superb (some consolation for that extra $720). Three of the exterior colors: Mars Red, Diamond (Pearl) White and Quartz Blue, I find reasonably nice, (the sedan and coupe share some exterior colors, but not all of them), but, IMO, the others would make a Wall Street buisness suit look flashy in comparison. The ground clearance, from the design/shape of the lower-body/door panels on each side, though not as low as a typical sports car, is a little on the low side, necessitating some care over speed humps and driveway ramps. The twin outside mirror housings, like most M-B products, have integrated turn-signals in them (in fact, Mercedes invented that feature), but don't feel particularly solid, in spite of the rather thick plastic used. The exterior hardware, in general, is not the best I've seen, and a couple of E350s and E500s I looked at showed some slight looseness in the way the exterior door handles and body-color trim were attached. The chrome, however, is first-rate, and a VERY nice touch is the spring-loaded, stand-up chrome Mercedes-Star hood ornament. Stand-up hood ornaments are something that is rapidly disappearing from today's cars, and something I miss. Pedestrian-impact standards in Europe have killed off some of them, but this shows that they can be safely designed, and not be a hazard to pedestrians hitting the hood.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid hood, and a nice set of struts and insulation pad greets you.....no cheap prop-rod. The dual gas struts are nicely-designed, and allow you to set the hood up at any one of several different angles for accessability. Unfortunately, the term "accessability" here doesn't mean much, because there is very little to access. The underhood/engine layout is awful; almost as bad as the new 2010 Lexus RX. A huge plastic engine cover, a generally tight engine fit (this is a relatively big V8), and a number of smaller plastic covers covering components on the side, block almost everything but a few filler caps and reservoirs. Oil dipstick? Sorry...you trust your engine's lifeblood to a couple of sensors. I remarked to the Mercedes people there what an absurd layout it was, and they agreed, but remarked that it was deliberately done for that reason....they don't want owners servicing their own cars, period. I suspect the real reason was to also make it difficult for independent repair shops, so you have to bring it back to the Mercedes shop for their notoriously expensive parts and service (when it is is not free or warranty-covered).

INTERIOR:

The interior, though not free of quirks, seems to be, in general, a step up from the previous E-Class, especially in the quality of trim and hardware. The polished wood trim (Burl Walnut, or Black Ash in the Sport sedan) is well-done, though the Black Ash color doesn't seem to offer much contrast to the black leather.....in general, as with many vehicles, I liked the beige interior with the lighter Burl Walnut wood trim. 6 different leather and M-B Tex colors are potentially available, depending on body syle and model. As with other Mercedes products, I did not like the M-B Tex at all.....to me, it looked and felt rough and cheap, although Mercedes claims that it is actually more durable than leather. The "leather" in my test car looked and felt nicer than the M-B Tex, but it still was not what I would call slick, smooth, real leather......for that, you have to move up to the Mercedes AMG models. Again, this may (?) be another cost-cutting move with some manufacturers. I notice that Audi and BMW do the same thing....they only put real leather in the top-line M, S, and RS models. The reason I think it is just cost-cutting is that the nice leather that is NOW only in top-line models used to be in ALL their models with leather seats.....then they replaced the leather in the lower-line cars with synthetic materials like M-B Tex, and downgraded the leather in all but their most expensive models, maybe (?) hoping the public wouldn't notice. Well, I noticed.

The front seats themselves are fairly comfortable, though larger butts like mine are just about on the limit of the comfort zone of the cushion-bolstering. The 14-way, profile-type power-seat controls on the door panels are superb (another feature that Mercedes invented) and can be operated by feel alone. The headliner is a nice soft material, and there is adequate front headroom for tall persons under the sunroof with the seat cushions adjusted down. A second, rear sunroof is an additional option. The hard-material sun visors look and feel cheap, but offer an unusual 2-for-1 feature that few other cars have. Pull the outer visors out and flip them to the side, and a second, inner pair remains under them to block out glare from both ahead and to the side....a nifty idea. And, of course, they have flip-open vanity mirrors in them. The general interior trim and fit/finish is a noticeable step up from the previous E-Class, with a better-quality feel. The dash materials, for instance, are nicely-textured, seem durable, yet have a semi-soft feel. The parking brake is an awkward, step-on design with a pull-out tab. The primary gauges, behind the steering wheel, are simple, clear and easy to read, although I've never particularly liked the "floating needle" design that Mercedes uses in their speedometers. The stereo/NAV buttons are clearly marked, easy to read, but, due to the complexity of the system, are not easy to use....neither is the I-Drive-Like **** controller on the console that also controls some of those functions. The NAV screen is clearly marked but very complex....I don't recommend this as a car for people just learning to drive. The Harmon-Kardon stereo sound quality is superb; a real killer...........just perfect for Quiet Riot's Kevin DuBrow hollering and screaming away with "Mama, We're all Crazy Now" and "Bang Your Head". Ah, the joys of 80's Heavy Metal. The steering wheel was well-designed, beefy, and had a nice smooth leather wrapping where you couldn't feel the stitches at all (too bad they won't use that kind of leather much on the seats any more). Like most Mercedes products, there are many electronic safety features inside......I can't describe them all here in detail in just one paragraph, although some of them border on being Nannys and can be irritating.

Headroom is also OK in the rear, as is legroom, due to the edge-scalloping of the front seat backs, but footroom was very tight trying to get my big size-15 clown-shoes in and out the space between the door jamb and the edge of the seat. The rear seats in my test car did not fold down.....you must buy that as a separate option. As in other cars with stubby, transmission-shift tab/levers, I did not like the one that stuck out from the right side of the dash. You push it up for Reverse, Down for Drive, and punch a small button for Park...but then it snaps back to the center "Neutral" position, regardless of what gear you are in. Your only indicator of what gear you are in is the digital readout on the dash....not in the lever. Manual Sport-shifting is done with nice paddles on the steering column............more on the transmission, of course, below. The inside mirror, at the top of the windshield, felt as bulky to hold as a small cereal box, and was difficult to move and adjust smoothly.

But my chief complaint inside, as with other Mercedes-Benz products, is with the two stalks mounted on the left side of the steering-column. The stalks themselves seem durable and well-made, unlike those on many other German-designed cars. But their design and placement is awful. The smaller, upper one is for the cruise control; the larger, bulkier one underneath it is the turn-signal lever. The problem is that the lower one, with the turn signals, is simply too low...even with my large hand and fingers, you have to reach way down to flip it. What usually happens (and I've complained about this in some other M-B products), is that, when you go to signal a turn, you tend to flip the cruise-control lever up or down instead, increasing or decreasing the car's cruise speed. the turn-signal lever is simply mounted too low, and the cruise-control lever is too close to it. The cruise lever should be shifted to the right side of the column, and the turn-signal lever raised about an inch and a half. In my experience, this is not something that you get used to and compensate for in a couple of miles, either, but an ongoing problem. Even the sales people told me they didn't like it....and their job, of course, is to sell the car. Mercedes had a chance to redesign it on this all-new E-Class, and didn't. A big mistake, IMO.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the fairly solid trunk (it doesn't feel quite as solid as the hood), and you are greeted with a fairly roomy cargo area, and an OK but rather mediocre trunk finish for a car of this price. The black carpeting used to cover the trunk floor and walls is rather thin and unsubstantial-feeling. The design and shape of the trunk lid itself, despite the encroachment of the rear roof-line, doesn't interfere much with loading or unloading. A temporary spare tire (way out of place in a $60,000 car) likes under the trunk floor, and, to get to the tire, you must pull out an additional thin panel underneath the regular trunk floor cover......that additional panel is very hard to untab and yank out. I suspect most owners with a flat will just give up and call AAA or Mercedes roadside service (which usually, is AAA-contracted anyway). And, last, as I mentioned above, the rear seats don't fold down (or have a small pass-though) for additional space.....to get those, on the sedan, you must buy them as an individual option, but they appear to be standard on the coupe. I also didn't see a cargo net, for holding packages, a small convienence that many cars in this price range have. But the trunk did have a little First-aid kit, tucked away in a small right-wall compartment.....a tradition with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and some other luxury-nameplate vehicles.

ON THE ROAD:

The new E550 is a very impressive car on the road, though it is not quite the Drivers' Car the competing BMW 550i is. Start it up with a block-shaped transponder "key" stuck into a dash slot and turned (a Keyless GO option with a push-button is optional), and the big 5.5L V8 turns over and idles smoothly and quietly, with only a very faint hint of exhaust noise. Adjust mirrors and seat belts, punch the stubby, awkward shifter into gear, warm it up a couple of blocks, and take off. And this engine WILL take off. Though not as powerful as the E63 AMG, the 391 ft-lbs. of torque, even in this relatively large, heavy car, will pin you to your seat and shove you forward (the Bluetec diesel has even more torque, at 400 ft-lbs). Mercedes claims a 5.2 second 0-60 time for the RWD model. Though I didn't take it to grossly illegal speeds or redline it, I took it briefly, high enough, on the D.C. Beltway, to see that it's obvious this engine will cruise effortlessly at speeds high enough to claim your license. Probably not surprising, since this car is designed for the no-speed-limit German Autobahn. The exhaust noise increases a little with acceleration, but nothing like your ears are assaulted with, say, on a Porsche, Corvette, or Mustang.

The 7-speed automatic was quiet and smooth as butter, whether in full-automatic or manual/paddle-shift mode, though I thought that, like with the 8-speed Lexus LS460 and IS-F automatics, having all those gears was (maybe) a little overkill and just makes the transmission heavier and more complex. For most American roads and speed limits, you probably won't need 7th or even 6th gear, but, I guess, if you're doing 150 or 160 MPH on the German Autobahn (speeds which I'm certain this car is easily capable of), 7th might come in handy to keep from red-lining it. The transmission also has a tendency to downshift very quickly (but still smoothly and seamlessly) under braking, which gives the impression that the brakes are dragging when you lift off the brake pedal....more on the superb brakes below.

The chassis is very well-engineered, though not quite to BMW standards. My car had the Sport Package and SPORT/COMFORT adjustable suspension damping. Ride comfort, over bumps, as expected, was slight softer in the COMFORT setting, but there was little difference either way. There also seemed to be little difference in steering response in the two settings. In general, the steering response was not as quick or tactile-sensing in feel as in the average BMW, but the steering action, like the drivetrain, was butter-smooth, and in both settings, accompanied by a small amount but noticeable body roll. Wind noise and road/tire noise were both well-damped, though not quite to the isolation of a typical Lexus.

Brakes, like the chassis, drivetrain, and chassis, were superb. The pedal had right-now action, with zero-sponginees or mushiness, a butter-smooth yet positive feel, effective deceleration, and evenness of modulation....a far cry from the previous quirky Mercedes brakes that were the source of so many owner complaints. The pedal, besides its superb feel/action, was located so my big shoes didn't hang up on it, either, going from gas-pedal to brake......a problem I sometimes encounter.

THE VERDICT:

While not quite as responsive or telepathic in the steeering or handling department, the E550 is a clear alternative to BMW 5-series V8s, and, when the AWD 4Matic versions debut this fall, will also compete very well with mid-range Audi Quattros. Its butter-smooth (yes, I know....I've used that term several times) engine, transmission, chassis, and brakes are all very impressive, as is the power and torque. Interior comfort is also high, and the interior trim/material quality is a step up from the previous E-Class. The paint job, stereo, sheet metal, numerous safety features, and power-seat control layout are all first-rate.

But this mechanical and engineering excellence does not come cheap. Though there are less-expensive E350 gas-powered V6 versions available, my car listed for a healthy 62K, which is a lot of cash, even when the new-car tax incentives and dealer-bargaining are figured in. There is also some question (?) whether the interest rate-deduction for financing will be available. The Mercedes people (though they are not necesarily tax experts, and their word can't be taken as Gospel) say the sales-tax deduction remains in the Stimulus Bill, but the interest-rate deduction got taken out. But many cars in this class, of course, are leased, rather than bought outright..........leasing has basically kept both Mercedes and BMW dealerships in buisness for years, though some of the lease programs have been trimmed back lately due to money losses at those automakers.

But the car has negative sides as well. The confusing, cross-purpose, twin-stalk layout on the left-side of the steering column is awful, and so is the basic underhood layout.....both need an extensive redesign, and should have got one with this new E-Class, but didn't. The M-B Tex seat upholstery is unimpressive, as is the leather in all but the top-level AMG versions (that's judging by last year's E63 AMG.....I haven't seen the new 2010 E63 yet). At this price, several features that are options or not available, like folding rear seats and a real spare tire, should be standard. The NAV screen and controls, despite clear markings, are complex to to operate. And the 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper and Drivetrain warranties (a hallmark of German automakers) are not particularly impressive, especially compared to the much longer drivetrain warranties found in some cheap, entry-level cars.

So the question, of course, is........is the E550 worth what it costs? For my money, no......but, for me, so would be the BMW 550i. Though not poor by any means, I am not the kind of person who regularly spends the kind of money on a car that the E550 and 550i run. But not everyone, even in in today's recession, is standing on the corner with a tin cup, and, for those who can part with this kind of cash without going bankrupt, and desire a powerful, refined, smooth German semi-sports sedan (and can get used to its few quirks), the E550 would be a wise choice.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-09 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 09:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review Mike.

The fact that this thing "only" costs $62,000 makes it a relative bargain in comparison to the 550i and XF 5.0, and really makes the GS 460 look like the lame duck that it is. The GS had some appeal when it was thousands less than the E, but now that advantage has been removed and you would be hard pressed to come up with good reasons for buying the Lexus over it. I don't think I would...

I really have to hand it to MB with this car...considering all of the upgrades and improvements with a price DROP, I just don't know if the E Class can possibly be beat
Old 07-01-09, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nice review Mike.
Thanks.

The fact that this thing "only" costs $62,000 makes it a relative bargain in comparison to the 550i and XF 5.0, and really makes the GS 460 look like the lame duck that it is. The GS had some appeal when it was thousands less than the E, but now that advantage has been removed and you would be hard pressed to come up with good reasons for buying the Lexus over it. I don't think I would...
I don't remember the exact price of the last BMW 550i I reviewed, but I think it was pretty close to the E550's.....around 63K.

I don't know about the GS460 being a "lame duck", though. Mike (1SICKLEX) has a new GS460H and loves it. Of course, the 460 Hybrid costs more than the regular model.

I really have to hand it to MB with this car...considering all of the upgrades and improvements with a price DROP, I just don't know if the E Class can possibly be beat
The 550i beats it in some areas of steering feel/response and ride/handling combination, but, in general, you are correct.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 09:50 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review as always

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 550i beats it in some areas of steering feel/response and ride/handling combinaton, but, in general, you are correct.
That's the thing with the E550 vs 550i scenario. If you want more luxury go for the MB, if you want more sportiness go for the 550. Both cars are superb, the final decision comes down to personal preference (sportiness or luxury).

I can't wait for your review of the new 5 series V8 when it comes out. Have you done comparisons yet, e.g. 5 series vs. E class? It would be interesting to do that when someone as knowledgeable as you reviews comparable cars.
Old 07-01-09, 09:54 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Great review as always.
How did you like the build quality? How solid is the interior? How is the plastic quality?
Old 07-01-09, 10:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to see briefly the new E-Class coupe and was impressed overall from the stance, design, interior of it. I believe the Coupe is actually underpinned the C-Class Chassis.

As far as 7/8 speed transmissions being heavier, the Lexus 8 speed automatic is actually lighter than the transmissions it replaced due to more aluminum.

The E-Coupe was pricey though.. base price $48K, Package 2 and a sport package bump it close to $58K. And that's still the V6.
Old 07-02-09, 04:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Nice review as always
Thanks.

That's the thing with the E550 vs 550i scenario. If you want more luxury go for the MB, if you want more sportiness go for the 550. Both cars are superb, the final decision comes down to personal preference (sportiness or luxury).
Pretty much the same comparison it's always been with Mercedes vs. BMW.

I can't wait for your review of the new 5 series V8 when it comes out. Have you done comparisons yet, e.g. 5 series vs. E class? It would be interesting to do that when someone as knowledgeable as you reviews comparable cars.
Thanks. I'll put the new 550i on my review list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 04:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Great review as always.
Thanks.

How did you like the build quality? How solid is the interior? How is the plastic quality?
All three seem a step up from the previous E-class, except for a few exterior hardware and plastic trim pieces. As I stated in the review, my main complaints were with the underhood layout, confusing left-hand column stalks, complex NAV/stereo buttons, and rear footroom for big shoes. I also thought that the cargo area was rather poorly-finished for a car of this price, and Mercedes needs to go back to the real leather that they once routinely used across the board, instead of the M-B Tex stuff and restricting the true leather to the top-line AMG cars now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 04:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I was able to see briefly the new E-Class coupe and was impressed overall from the stance, design, interior of it. I believe the Coupe is actually underpinned the C-Class Chassis.
Yes, M-B sometimes does that......basing coupes and two-door designs on a smaller chassis than the four-doors. It wouldn't be the first time.

As far as 7/8 speed transmissions being heavier, the Lexus 8 speed automatic is actually lighter than the transmissions it replaced due to more aluminum.
Perhaps so.....the specs don't break down the weight of individual powertrain components. But, for most American roads and driving conditions, there is probably little use for the 7th and 8th gears anyway...they would just make the engine lug at too low an RPM, and, in full-automatic mode, be constantly downshifting on the slightest hills and grades.

The E-Coupe was pricey though.. base price $48K, Package 2 and a sport package bump it close to $58K. And that's still the V6.
It's a shame that, for that kind of money, you can't get the superb Bluetec diesel on the coupe either.....Mercedes, here in the American market, restricts it to the sedan. The diesel, at low rpm, offers the V8's torque, but with far better fuel mileage (albeit it on somewhat more expensive fuel).

I also think that the new E-Class coupe is somewhat better-looking than the CLS with its tiny, peep-hole windows and too-low, humpback-whale roofline. The CLS is a four-door that tried to imitate a coupe effect, and, IMO, blew it. The new E-class simply dispenced with the two rear doors and did a much better job to start with.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-09 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 05:23 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I really enjoyed this review, thank you for doing it!

Looks like MB delivered the car we've been reading about. From your review I agree they moved forward and made a good car even better with this new model.

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I did see your comments about the i-drive (or I think MB used to call it Command?) and I also noticed from the dash pics there are a fair amount of buttons on the dash. Did you happen to notice if most of the 'everyday' features in the car (radio, A/C etc) can be used with just the buttons on the dash?
Old 07-02-09, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
I really enjoyed this review, thank you for doing it!
Sure. Anytime.

Looks like MB delivered the car we've been reading about. From your review I agree they moved forward and made a good car even better with this new model.
I certainly enjoyed driving it.

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I did see your comments about the I-drive (or I think MB used to call it Command?) and I also noticed from the dash pics there are a fair amount of buttons on the dash. Did you happen to notice if most of the 'everyday' features in the car (radio, A/C etc) can be used with just the buttons on the dash?
The majority of them can (and most, if not all, of the climate-control functions)......but, as these systems tend to be rather complex (and I'm not a computer technician), I'm not sure about all of the others. Some stereo and car-phone functions, like other vehicles, can be done through the steering-wheel controls. And, of course, you have the quirky console-mounted ****-controller.
Old 07-02-09, 07:15 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Good review.

As an E class driver I should be interested in the new one but I'm not. It's a great-looking machine, probably the sexiest E class ever in my opinion but I think all that luxury it offers is just overkill for a relatively simple guy as myself. A few years ago I would have loved all the features, but now, I question some of them!

Wow, Europe has changed me!

I'm actually quite content with my E230. The comfort is amazing, the performance and fuel economy are quite good and the car is spacious. It's an excellent and well-balanced family-friendly vehicle. I can only imagine that the new E class completely surpasses mine in every possible way. That's good news. I guess what I am saying is that I'm happy with mine.

Yet, I find myself lusting for a C class again. My original plan was to purchase a Citroen C5 as a private car, but I am finding extremely good deals on the internet regarding second hand W204 C classes (and estates). My current situation is that I'll be working in Europe for years to come and my wife and I are definitely interested in children. A Citroen C5 or Mercedes C class estate, so I feel, are the perfect cars for us. We'll see how it will work out.

By the way, the placing of the signal and cruise control stalk isn't weird, really. It's a question of how often you drive the car because eventually you will get used to it. I had the same problem initially when I began driving Mercedes' but now I it isn't problem at all. It's simply a matter of getting used to it.

Also, the lack of a spare tire is because studies have shown that you rarely need them. A spare tire adds weight and this affects fuel economy. Plus, most people neglect the spare tire so when the time comes and you really need one the tire pressure is not what it should be. Most cars these days come with run-flat tires that can bring you to the next gas or service station where a tire can be "quickly" fixed (these days).
Old 07-02-09, 07:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Excellent review Mike and I think you hit it right... I have looked at this too but it's not quite the "sporting" sedan for serious drivers....
Old 07-02-09, 07:45 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Solid Review.
Old 07-02-09, 08:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, many of the 550i's that I have seen reviewed were priced at or over $70K.

A base 550i, as per BMWUSA.com, starts just $1K less than the E550 Mike reviewed - $61,225.

To that I added the value package, COMFORT access system, seats with lumbar support, fold down rear seats, premium audio, rear side impact air bags, 18" wheels, and sat. radio for a grand total of $68,350.

A $6K difference isn't bad but that doesn't include the upgraded automatic transmission, M sport package, 19" wheels, and some other goodies that a good number of people would want. Also, you could have probably added a few more things to the E550 above, but all in all, it seems like when similarly optioned, the E is a noticeably cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Mercedes E550