Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automakers scrap diesel plans (Six automakers kill plans for diesels in the U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 04:17 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automakers scrap diesel plans (Six automakers kill plans for diesels in the U.S.)

Mainstream carmakers have put the brakes on nine diesel-powered vehicles that had been scheduled for 2010.

Honda, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Nissan and Toyota have halted diesel programs because of spiraling costs and other problems.

Financial problems halted the programs at some companies. Others, like Toyota Motor Corp., are looking elsewhere for fuel economy. "We are banking heavily on hybrids," said Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister.

Only German automakers--Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and BMW--have followed through with plans to launch U.S. diesels on time. Most German diesels are in premium vehicles similar to vehicles built in large numbers for Europe and other markets. That volume reduces development and production costs per vehicle.

A diesel engine typically delivers fuel economy 20 to 30 percent better than that of a gasoline engine. But a diesel can add between $3,000 and $8,000 to a vehicle's price. Costly components include the turbocharger, the high-pressure fuel injection system and the complex emissions system, which is filled with precious metals. That cost seems to be a barrier for the mass-market brands.

Still, the new German diesels are selling well. The price of diesel fuel may be a factor. It has dropped from its high last summer of $4.85 per gallon--considerably more than gasoline--to $2.63 last week, a few pennies less than a gallon of regular gasoline.

'Cost-benefit' problem

Bernd Bohr, chairman of the automotive group at Germany's Robert Bosch GmbH, knows costs have to come down. Bosch, the world's largest supplier of diesel fuel injection systems, supplies all the new German diesel-powered vehicles in the United States.

"It's always a question of the cost-benefit relationship," Bohr told Automotive News recently.

Just one part of some diesels' emissions system--urea injection--can add $1,000 to the cost of the vehicle. A turbocharger, high-pressure fuel injection system and diesel particulate filter pump up the price, too.

Bohr said Bosch is attacking the cost problem in at least two areas: reducing the amount of oxides of nitrogen, or NOx, produced in the engine--which means a smaller amount of expensive precious metals are needed in the emissions system--and standardizing parts for larger production runs.

Bohr thinks manufacturers eventually will be able to sell vehicles with six-cylinder diesel engines of about 3.0 liters profitably and in high volumes in the United States.

"Maybe some of the projects our customers had in the past, maybe V-8s, were a little oversized in today's world," he said. "They are now looking at six-cylinders, maybe 3.0-liter diesel engines. That could be something very much worthwhile for the American market."

Bias toward hybrids?

Kevin McMahon, a partner at the Martec Group, a consulting firm, says the way the EPA calculates fuel economy and carbon dioxide standards gives gasoline-electric hybrids an unfair advantage over diesels.

In 2006, the EPA revised the way it determines real-world, "window sticker" fuel economy to reflect U.S. driving patterns. The EPA's new sticker rulemaking assumes Americans drive 43 percent of their miles in city conditions and 57 percent on the highway.

But under fleet average standards for corporate average fuel economy and CO2, vehicles are certified using 35-year-old test weighting of 55 percent city and 45 percent highway driving.

"Diesel vehicles that perform very well at high-load and high-speed driving--where most of America's fuel is used in the real world--are penalized," says McMahon. "Meanwhile, vehicles that perform very well in stop-and-go driving, like hybrids, are overrewarded."

The image of the diesel engine may be one reason Toyota has halted its plans. Says McAllister: "One of the obstacles of the diesel is the aged perception that the diesel is smoky and stinky. It's hard to change the mind-set of consumers. Hybrid technology has such a clean halo to it."
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/906299987
Old 06-29-09, 04:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Only German automakers--Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and BMW--have followed through with plans to launch U.S. diesels on time. Most German diesels are in premium vehicles similar to vehicles built in large numbers for Europe and other markets. That volume reduces development and production costs per vehicle".

Diesels certainly are a safer bet or business decision for the German car companies.
Old 06-29-09, 05:08 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For somebody who enjoys driving, thank god I can have my cake and eat it too. These Hybrids have way too many compromises, namely they are built by Honda and Toyota, two Japanese car makers who put much more effort on value and cost reduction than they do overall road composure. I really have nothing against hybrids, but why should the steering wheel have to feel like a weightless drone (yes Prius, you) for the sake of 50mpg? Doesn't make sense to me. Lastly, diesels really have nothing on "turbo-diesels" as far as complexities are concerned.

I really honestly believe Honda and the others are shooting themselves by leaving the Germans to monopolize the diesel market for the time being. Toyota will be fine, they are already heavily entrenched with Hybrids. Honda can't even sell them to sales goals, so good luck. You have VW and Audi both making clear statements about their intent to grow in the US market, about selling a third of their cars as diesels, and you think Toyota is going to suffer? Yeah right, it's going to be Honda and Acura.
Old 06-29-09, 05:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree. I am confused as to why they would pull theplug already. The Germans will just get ahead in this arena. I think its a mistake. Look at the VW polo with its tiny diesel engine and 74 mpg
Old 07-01-09, 03:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Six automakers kill plans for diesels in the U.S.

Diesel's near-term prospects in America took a huge hit with the revelation that nine diesel-powered 2010 models are on hold. Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have put the kibosh on rolling out more oil burners due to cost and perception issues.

Toyota's obviously on a hybrid run and doesn't want to expel the effort or expense of investing in diesel for the American market -- and having to overcome America's dirty diesel perceptions. The others, as mass market manufacturers, simply need more justification for the cost and complexity of oilburners in order to make the case for consumers to spend more.

Additionally, diesel's benefits are weighted differently according to EPA or CAFE standards. The EPA mileage numbers present diesels well, but CAFE's differing fuel mileage equation makes gas-hybrids look better than diesels, and CAFE is something all automakers are looking at. However, you'll notice that German brands aren't mentioned -- their price premium and European diesel volumes make a worthwhile case for diesels, so those diesel Jetta Sportwagons won't be going away any time soon.
source: autoblog
Old 07-01-09, 03:53 PM
LexFather

This guy is very unhappy

Old 07-01-09, 04:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This guy is very unhappy

He should be.
Old 07-01-09, 04:29 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I think Toyota has put the Tundra Diesel on hold. The Tundra is selling at about 60k per year....pathetic...how many Tundra Diesels does one think Toyota will sell?

Last edited by pagemaster; 07-02-09 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 07:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Diesel = best fuel economy with a MT. Americans = dislike for MT. Americans = big dislike for a low taching diesel MT.