Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar adds yet another V8 variant of the XF (it has 4 V-8 options)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Jaguar adds yet another V8 variant of the XF (it has 4 V-8 options)

Jaguar today announced the introduction of the fourth and newest member of its acclaimed XF lineup, the 2010 XF Supercharged sedan. Joining the 4.2L and 5.0L naturally aspirated models and the range-topping XFR super-saloon in the U.S. market, the new XF Supercharged comes with a 5.0L force-fed engine pumping out a 470hp (351kW) and 424lb-ft (574Nm) of torque - a 12% increase in power over the 4.2L 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged.

This bump in output is courtesy of the new 5.0-liter supercharged AJ-V8 Gen III engine that debuted at this year's Detroit Auto Show. However, it’s not just about more power. The new XF Supercharged also gets Jaguar’s latest ‘Adaptive Dynamics’ variable suspension damping system and the ‘Active Differential Control’ electronically controlled rear differential as standard.

The end result is a 0-60mph time of 4.9 seconds – just 0.2 seconds off the pace of the 510hp (380kW) XFR.

Other features include uprated ventilated disc brakes, 20in wheels, contrasting color twin needle stitching on the instrument panel and door top rolls, a unique Rich Oak veneer, a 440W Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system, HD radio, and a heated steering wheel.

The XF Supercharged will go on sale this October and will be priced from $68,000. As for the rest of the lineup, the 300hp (225kW) 4.2L naturally aspirated XF is priced from $52,000, the 385hp (287kW) 5.0L naturally aspirated XF Premium at $57,000 and the aforementioned XFR at $80,000.

Sadly, we Americans still miss out on one other XF variant, the XF Diesel S. This super frugal sedan is limited to European markets and is powered by a 3.0L commonrail turbodiesel returning 34.5mpg (6.8L/100km) in fuel economy.

Jaguar already has more V8 variants of the XF than any other competiton- are 4 V8s really necessary?

IMO the 4.2L is outdated and should be tossed out. Leave the 5.0L and XFR, and add a V6 version. No sense for the 4.2L, 5.0L. 5.0L S/C, and XFR. Seems saturated already, IMO.
Old 06-29-09, 10:42 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Variety is the spice of life hahaha. My wife has the SC'ed offering in the XF and that car is a JOY to drive!
Old 06-29-09, 11:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by duboseq
Variety is the spice of life hahaha. My wife has the SC'ed offering in the XF and that car is a JOY to drive!
XF SC is one of my favorites. I was admiring one at my tennis club yesterday, looked great sitting on the stock 20" wheels.
Old 06-29-09, 11:10 AM
LexFather

I actually think its wonderful they offer so many V-8s. It also shows how ridiculously lame Acura is by not having at least one.

The XF is really a superb car and Jag is putting some FANTASTIC effort and focus into it. BRING THE DIESEL TOO JAG!!!

I LOVE TATAs!!!

Old 06-29-09, 06:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its one of my favorites as well. the lines of the car are just amazing. It is sleek and sharp. Just looking at the car you can tell its expensive
Old 07-01-09, 12:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to say the new generation Jag is really growing on me, and the XJ sedan the have coming out next will mae this new one look like a plane jane sedan. I like what I am seeing from Jag. I hope they dont go under.
Old 07-05-09, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Saw another with 22s, it really looks good on the move...

Old 07-05-09, 02:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I actually think its wonderful they offer so many V-8s. It also shows how ridiculously lame Acura is by not having at least one.

The XF is really a superb car and Jag is putting some FANTASTIC effort and focus into it. BRING THE DIESEL TOO JAG!!!

I LOVE TATAs!!!

i love big tatas too.
Old 02-17-10, 03:52 PM
LexFather

Post Review: 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged is the Goldilocks of Q-ships (470hp)

Long Live the V-8!! The XF offers 4;
300hp
385hp
470hp
510hp

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/17/2...harged-review/

CN: new 2010 XF Supercharged is ultimate sleeper, looks like the non supercharged version, but has slightly detuned version of XFR 5.0L DI V8 supercharged, 470 hp and 424 ft/lb tq compared to XFR 510 hp motor...all for about $12000 less. Also a big improvement from the older 4.2L SC V8 which only put out 400 hp

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/17/2...harged-review/

Quote:
There have been very few cars like the 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged, and that's a shame. Yet it's difficult to explain why this car is so special, so let's just start by describing what it is. You can order Jaguar's S-Type replacement in four flavors (more if you live in a diesel-friendly part of the world). The first and least expensive comes with Jag's tried-and-true 4.2-liter V8 for $52,000, although we're told that the 4.2-liter is now out of production, so get 'em while they're hot. For $5,000 more, you can get the company's new direct-injected 5.0-liter V8 with 385 horsepower, which is most assuredly worth every penny.

Skipping ahead one, the fourth and final flavor is the top cat XFR, equipped with a 510-hp supercharged and monsterized version of the 5.0-liter V8 for $80,000. Put another way, that's $23,000 for an extra 125 horsepower. Worth the stretch? Honestly, when are we not going to tell you to buy a 510-hp vehicle? However, there is a third flavor and it's called the XF Supercharged. Starting at $68,000, the XF Supercharged comes with the same 5.0-liter supercharged V8 as the XFR, albeit "detuned" down to 470 hp and 424 lb-ft of torque.

We know we shouldn't be shocked, but come on. We are living in seriously miraculous times if 470 hp and 424 lb-ft of torque is the detuned version of anything. That's quite nearly Nissan GT-R power, and Godzilla is a supercar killer. Oddly, Jaguar has decided not to make a big deal out of the release of this car (i.e. no launch) and that's a shame, because as you've probably surmised by now, the engine alone makes the XF Supercharged pretty special. Keep reading to learn why this is the Goldilocks of the XF range. In other words, just right.
In 2006, BMW changed the Q-ship game when they released the sneering E60 M5. Gone were the subtle cues that softly announced the previous E39 M5 (a couple of extra pipes, a large intake, a badge), replaced instead by a whole new level of heavily-vented visual audaciousness. Translation: The former King of the Sleepers was now anything but. The new M5 loudly announced to the world that a monster of a motor lurked just underneath its taught, flame-surfaced skin. Since the E60 M5 debuted, competitors have been following suit.

Take Jaguar's own XFR – it looks like it just geezed up on steroids. Gulping, chrome-ringed air intakes, scalloped hood vents inlaid with the word "Supercharger" and low hanging side sills that simply scream "I'm a very fast car indeed!" The XF Supercharged, however, doesn't have any of that. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to notice any differences between it and a "lesser," naturally aspirated XF. The Supercharged model gets bigger wheels, a body-color matched rear fascia and four tailpipes instead of two. Visually, that's about it, save a lone "Supercharged" badge on the trunk. Think of it like this: From the view afforded by your rearview mirrors, there's nothing to indicate that the nice looking kitty cat has the potential to badly embarrass whatever you're driving. This Jag is more than just a credible sleeper; it's the new king of the Q-ships.

Old 02-24-10, 11:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I LOVE TATAs!!!
8 Months later but I had to bump this one for the TATAs, lol. Even my wife is a fan of the new Tatas ........Seriously though I love the direction that Jaguar is headed. I'm actually considering one now along side your GS Hybrid. A cousin of mine who's a long time Lexus guy bought one XF SC and is still in love with that thing.
Old 02-24-10, 11:36 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Niiice...I gotta admit, I'm totally impressed with Jaguar's resurgence. They are truly back from the dead now. And let's not even discuss the XJ. Plus Hova co-signing it put the stamp on it.
Old 02-25-10, 07:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The XF is the best of the TATA's IMO.
Old 02-25-10, 08:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really lovin' the XF right now.

Such a huge jump from the S-Type...
Old 02-25-10, 11:36 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Sick!!!
Old 02-25-10, 12:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think that they should offer a 6 cylinder or a small (3.0 to 3.5L) V8.

Quick Reply: Jaguar adds yet another V8 variant of the XF (it has 4 V-8 options)