Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 LS 460 "Sport"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 10:59 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Would you make you feel better if the S-class sold a V-6 S350 (we don't get here) for the same price as a V-8 LS? If they brought it over, it would be the same price as the LS base. lol
Actually rumor has it that MB is bringing the S350 over here soon...
Old 06-23-09, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Look we know you hate the LS 460, no need to make up stuff and rehash those comments in here.
lol it's ok, i just wanted a laugh

who said this ls sport will START at 100k anyway? and who's going to get a s class at starting price? pointless

i owned a ls460l, and i was this close from getting the s550. both are good cars. but i can easily give 5 points where the s class is "inferior" to the ls. doesn't matter, this is the internet

Last edited by rominl; 06-23-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 11:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Actually rumor has it that MB is bringing the S350 over here soon...
And Lexus has the LS350 up their sleeve...
Old 06-23-09, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

95% of drivers who shell out the money for the LS will not want a sport version. It seems like an oxymoron to me. I like the aftermarket kits and wheels for the LS, but I dont think Lexus really needs to massage the car to produce a me too model to appease the ex-customers of Mercedes and BMW.

I like the direction Lexus is going but the need to focus on the GS before they go messing with the LS.
Old 06-23-09, 11:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
95is going but the need to focus on the GS before they go messing with the LS.
This might be the most sensible post of this thread...very good point.
Old 06-24-09, 06:49 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

This car sooooo needs some dna, some energy, some excitement. It's just a nice large sedan, but that's it. It's NOT an exciting sedan by any means. Like there's no soul to it and at times I see it lost amongst other cars in traffic and parking lots. Sigh.
Old 06-24-09, 07:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Please understand what I say takes nothing away from the S-class. It is to me, the standard of this class still and it just a dream vehicle. Now...

Oh really? Every single expert/automotive review in the world sees them as competitors. Top Gear chose the LS as their saloon of the year. They are in the same class. PERIOD. Does the S have more prestige/varients? Yes. The LS still in competition with the S-class. If anything, the PREVIOUS models were not true S-class competition.

Don't get caught in MSRP, S-class has had giant discounts since day one. For the past few months they offer 1.9% financing for up to 36 months then 2.9% up to 66 months. Lexus will not match that offer.
The S wins almost every category, really?
Both do 0-60 in identical time.
The LS has a larger trunk
The LS has better gas mileage
The LS has one more gear
THe LS weighs less
The LS makes 380hp with 4.6 liters. The S-class makes 2 more hp with 5.5 liters, nearly a liter more.
Both offer more tech than most cars sold today. The S-class interior looks like a 7 series interior. The LS at least looks original.

Both are sensational and DIRECT competitors. To say otherwise really destroys credibility as a poster. Sorry.

Would you make you feel better if the S-class sold a V-6 S350 (we don't get here) for the same price as a V-8 LS? If they brought it over, it would be the same price as the LS base. lol

The LS is by far the bargain of this class while offering the same kind of car. QUite an amazing feat.
The current S-class starts higher because they don't send the smaller V8 (S450 which is available to other parts of the world) to the U.S. anymore, whereas the previous S-Class is available with the S430, which is also available in SWB. Yes they even made the S350 available in the U.S. in it's final model year. So you could get a S-class for about $70K in the previous generation, but the S500 can easily be $100K+ loaded, just like the current S550.

We have the S450 available with SWB in Canada, & it's about $15K less than a S550(available in LWB only) in base price. If you compare engine size, the LS460 is much closer to the S450 than the S550, but the S450 only makes 340hp wheras the LS460 makes 380hp, the S550 makes 382hp but the engine is bigger by almost one litre.
Now you can always ask why Lexus doesn't offer a bigger engine for the LS, or just put the 5.0 V8 in the non-hybrid LS (a LS500), that's their choice, maybe they think they can sell enough cars with the 460 engine, and the vast majority of their target customer do not want or need a higher power LS.
Actually it's true for the S-class too, the V12 only make up a few percent of the S-class sales, & that's in the U.S. It should be an even smaller percentage in most other parts of the world where gas prices are higher or much higher.
With Lexus/Toyota, they always have making a good business case as top priority when deciding whether to offer certain models, if they think the market for them is too small, they most likely won't bother doing it, they won't build a super powerful sedan just for the sake of having it and bragging about it. Some of us may not like this philosophy, but it seems that's the way they are, they care about efficiency in their operations more than anything.
Old 06-24-09, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The S-Class starts at $89k....LS460 starts at $63k.

S-Class is in a higher class than the LS460....S-Class doesn't need more power, it already feels like a $100k car. The LS460 feels just about where it starts at.
I want to make something clear here, and I know that the S vs. LS points have already been rehashed like mashed potatoes.

The LS starts at $64,000 for the standard wheelbase version. Mercedes does not offer a standard wheelbase version of the S Class in the USA.

The LS 460L, which is the most direct competitor to the S Class (because Mercedes only sells the LWB version in the USA) starts at $74,000.

And since when does power, especially 2hp and 24lb-ft of torque in the S Class' favor, contribute to the "feel" of a car?
Old 06-24-09, 08:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That is one hot looking ES 350!!!!!!

Wait, is that an LS? Dang! I can't tell them apart nowadays.

Old 06-24-09, 08:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Additionally, for all of the people who think the LS is just some wallowy yacht of a vehicle...have you forgotten about the Touring model?

From TTAC, of all publications:

Having thoroughly dissed the LS’ driving experience in my last LS review, I have a shocking revelation: the Touring edition is fun to drive. It’s almost as engaging as the latest Mercedes S Class.

Starting out with the suspension in comfort mode reminded me why I don’t like Japanese luxury sedans: they tend to wallow only slightly less than late ‘70’s American luxobarges. A quick switch to the sport mode neatly transformed the LS into a European-like sedan. The ride quality became firm yet absorbent. The dynamic capabilities ascended from one-handed yachtsmanship to two-handed Teutonic corner carver.

The tweaked LS’ steering now has something approximating heft; you can [even] sense what the front tires are doing during cornering. I don’t get what Lexus are talking about with their “high friction brakes,” but the anchors are plenty powerful and easy to modulate.

Now that I could get past and yes enjoy the LS’ driving experience, I could better appreciate the sybaritic touches.

The luxury package includes the finest, softest leather ever made by hand of man (presumably). The leather on the steering wheel has been buffed to such a creamy, buttery consistency it feels like it’s been slathered with foie gras. The “ecsaine” headliner made me feel like I was encapsulated within a lamb’s belly. The executive class seating package had me clamoring for warmed nuts and champagne.

The Mark Levinson reference audio system– with enough memory for 2k songs– is astounding. If I owned this car, I’d probably spend more time parked, sitting in the backseat listening to the sound system, than driving it.

I’m not sure how I feel about the infrared sensors that monitor rear-seat passenger’s body temperature, and then adjust the AC to suit. Are brainwave sensors far behind? Scary stuff.

More to the point, what will my fellow pistonheads think of me now? First Porsche’s navigation system makes me pine for BMW’s iDrive. Now, a Lexus LS 460L touring edition tickles my fancy. Oh God, have I become my parents? Listen up Lexus; you need to make these touring packages optional across your line. Even German car lovers will be seduced.
Old 06-24-09, 08:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

^^What they need to do is allow you to combine the Touring Package with the rear-seat upgrade and the Executive Package options. Right now, they don't allow you to do that, You can only have one or the other, so you can never build the "perfect" loaded LS.
Old 06-24-09, 08:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^What they need to do is allow you to combine the Touring Package with the rear-seat upgrade and the Executive Package options. Right now, they don't allow you to do that, You can only have one or the other, so you can never build the "perfect" loaded LS.
I recall hearing that because of the rear suspension setup on the Touring, they cannot add the executive package. I think it had something to do with the rear stabilizer bars interfering, but I am not sure.
Old 06-24-09, 08:21 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

My grandpa was so excited, he had a heart attack after I told him about the news.
Old 06-24-09, 08:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I recall hearing that because of the rear suspension setup on the Touring, they cannot add the executive package. I think it had something to do with the rear stabilizer bars interfering, but I am not sure.
Even if this is true, what about Touring Package with the rear-seat upgrade, that's probably what I would have chosen if they allow me to build one, instead of the Executive Package. And I am sure they can work around it if they had planned to combine those all in one package right from the beginning when they design the car. The flexibility in options packaging is one of the things that make choosing the S550 better, you can have the AMG Sports package and Active Body Control, & still can have all the rear-seat upgrade luxury options. Lexus have the APSSS but isn't even offered as an option for the LS460's.

I don't agree that a car is better if it's sportier, especially for this class of cars, it's a matter of preference, not which is better, but I think as a flagship, you should have the flexibility to offer the customers the choice of getting EXACTLY what they want in options.
Old 06-24-09, 08:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
This car sooooo needs some dna, some energy, some excitement. It's just a nice large sedan, but that's it. It's NOT an exciting sedan by any means. Like there's no soul to it and at times I see it lost amongst other cars in traffic and parking lots. Sigh.
I totally agree with that statement, the LS have such a nice power train, it can be so much more of a car. Sounds like this sport version will be another half ares attempt to make a full size sport saden. Lexus need to either get serious about getting into the mid size and full size sport sedan market or just stick to their luxury ride theme.

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 "Sport"