Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 LS 460 "Sport"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 07:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I have no doubt that the highway mileage for both these car will be very close, but you are comparing apples with oranges. My wife gets incredable mileage out the IS-F where as I get almost half of what she does when I drive it.(she raily drive the LS so I can't make that comparrison) So you really seriously can't expect to state those figures an say that the 600hL has worse fuel ecconomy, can you?
My point is that the highway mileage for these two cars is actually not close at all.

At this time my coworkers' mother who lived in Sarasota, FL was sick and she and her husband (both coworkers of mine) were going down to visit her every weekend. One weekend they took a promo LS 600hL down to see her. The next weekend, driving the same route, they took their LS 460L. Both trips were with the same two people on the same roads, driving the same speeds. Doesn't really get any closer than that, ya know?
Old 06-23-09, 07:47 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My point is that the highway mileage for these two cars is actually not close at all.

At this time my coworkers' mother who lived in Sarasota, FL was sick and she and her husband (both coworkers of mine) were going down to visit her every weekend. One weekend they took a promo LS 600hL down to see her. The next weekend, driving the same route, they took their LS 460L. Both trips were with the same two people on the same roads, driving the same speeds. Doesn't really get any closer than that, ya know?
Just for the record, I have gotten about 23 MPG and I am a terrible driver when it comes to saving fuel so I find numbers somewht skewed, especially when I have driven and LS460 quite a bit.

Look I don't want to argue but, your story has now changed from what you originaly said, one was with the wife driving and the other with your other co-worker. I could not care if they left at the same time of day and the exact same cars were on the road, two different people drove the car from what you said and you can't compare that. Like I said before, if I took a trip to Tokyo and drove and then my wife did the same trip I GARRENTEE you different mileage from the both of us.

So I am going to agree to disagree with you and bow out of this conversation, as it is going no where.
Old 06-23-09, 07:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Just for the record, I have gotten about 23 MPG and I am a terrible driver when it comes to saving fuel so I find numbers somewht skewed, especially when I have driven and LS460 quite a bit.

Look I don't want to argue but, your story has now changed from what you originaly said, one was with the wife driving and the other with your other co-worker. I could not care if they left at the same time of day and the exact same cars were on the road, two different people drove the car from what you said and you can't compare that. Like I said before, if I took a trip to Tokyo and drove and then my wife did the same trip I GARRENTEE you different mileage from the both of us.

So I am going to agree to disagree with you and bow out of this conversation, as it is going no where.
That is fine, though to clarify:

- LS 600hL was driven by him with her in the passenger seat (promo car)
- LS 460L was driven by her with him in the passenger seat (her personal vehicle)

At the end of the day, the difference between these two really comes down to how and where you drive. I think that the hybrid system significantly benefits the 600hL in the city giving it superior mileage to the 460L, though its additional weight bogs down the efficiency on highway driving, giving the 460L an edge.

To each his own, and at least we couldn't be talking about two finer automobiles
Old 06-23-09, 08:01 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

To each his own, and at least we couldn't be talking about two finer automobiles
I agree completely.
Old 06-23-09, 08:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"SZ" just doesn't sound right.

LS460 SiZzler.
Old 06-23-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

LS460 Fo-Shizzle.
Old 06-23-09, 08:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lexus better add about a 100hp for the LS sport to warrant a $100k price tag.
interesting, i don't see 100 extra hp on the s550 which is at 100k?

and between 600hl and 460l, the 600hl will win in any mid range pick up speed. the tq and pick up of that car is just insane in any local or freeway speed. 0-60 is sooo overrated these days
Old 06-23-09, 09:20 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting, i don't see 100 extra hp on the s550 which is at 100k?

The S-Class starts at $89k....LS460 starts at $63k.

S-Class is in a higher class than the LS460....S-Class doesn't need more power, it already feels like a $100k car. The LS460 feels just about where it starts at.
Old 06-23-09, 09:50 PM
LexFather

The S-Class starts at $89k....LS460 starts at $63k.

S-Class is in a higher class than the LS460....S-Class doesn't need more power, it already feels like a $100k car. The LS460 feels just about where it starts at.
Look we know you hate the LS 460, no need to make up stuff and rehash those comments in here.

Old 06-23-09, 09:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look we know you hate the LS 460, no need to make up stuff and rehash those comments in here.
What? He "only" hates the LS460?

That's news to me...
Old 06-23-09, 10:02 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I am not making stuff up. I don't hate the LS460...I just think it could be a little better. The LS460 was far ahead of the last gen S-Class and even the LS430 was ahead of the old S-Class as well...but this S-Class is nicer...that is why the starting prices are so off...some would say the LS is not even in the S-Class category and should not be compared. I say they should be and the S-Class wins in almost every category.
Old 06-23-09, 10:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
What? He "only" hates the LS460?

That's news to me...
I have no problem with the RX, GX, LX...so far the upcoming HS...the IS interior is excellet but I am not a fan of the ES, GS and LS is ok....oh yeah...the SC430 is fine...but will soon be killed off.
Old 06-23-09, 10:12 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Why not put the 5.0 litre hybrid/ISF engine? Then I don't mind the $100k pricetag.
Old 06-23-09, 10:24 PM
LexFather

I am not making stuff up. I don't hate the LS460...I just think it could be a little better. The LS460 was far ahead of the last gen S-Class and even the LS430 was ahead of the old S-Class as well...but this S-Class is nicer...that is why the starting prices are so off...some would say the LS is not even in the S-Class category and should not be compared. I say they should be and the S-Class wins in almost every category.
Please understand what I say takes nothing away from the S-class. It is to me, the standard of this class still and it just a dream vehicle. Now...

Oh really? Every single expert/automotive review in the world sees them as competitors. Top Gear chose the LS as their saloon of the year. They are in the same class. PERIOD. Does the S have more prestige/varients? Yes. The LS still in competition with the S-class. If anything, the PREVIOUS models were not true S-class competition.

Don't get caught in MSRP, S-class has had giant discounts since day one. For the past few months they offer 1.9% financing for up to 36 months then 2.9% up to 66 months. Lexus will not match that offer.
The S wins almost every category, really?
Both do 0-60 in identical time.
The LS has a larger trunk
The LS has better gas mileage
The LS has one more gear
THe LS weighs less
The LS makes 380hp with 4.6 liters. The S-class makes 2 more hp with 5.5 liters, nearly a liter more.
Both offer more tech than most cars sold today. The S-class interior looks like a 7 series interior. The LS at least looks original.

Both are sensational and DIRECT competitors. To say otherwise really destroys credibility as a poster. Sorry.

Would you make you feel better if the S-class sold a V-6 S350 (we don't get here) for the same price as a V-8 LS? If they brought it over, it would be the same price as the LS base. lol

The LS is by far the bargain of this class while offering the same kind of car. QUite an amazing feat.

Old 06-23-09, 10:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Please understand what I say takes nothing away from the S-class. It is to me, the standard of this class still and it just a dream vehicle. Now...

Oh really? Every single expert/automotive review in the world sees them as competitors. Top Gear chose the LS as their saloon of the year. They are in the same class. PERIOD. Does the S have more prestige/varients? Yes. The LS still in competition with the S-class. If anything, the PREVIOUS models were not true S-class competition.

Don't get caught in MSRP, S-class has had giant discounts since day one. For the past few months they offer 1.9% financing for up to 36 months then 2.9% up to 66 months. Lexus will not match that offer.
The S wins almost every category, really?
Both do 0-60 in identical time.
The LS has a larger trunk
The LS has better gas mileage
The LS has one more gear
THe LS weighs less
The LS makes 380hp with 4.6 liters. The S-class makes 2 more hp with 5.5 liters, nearly a liter more.
Both offer more tech than most cars sold today. The S-class interior looks like a 7 series interior. The LS at least looks original.

Both are sensational and DIRECT competitors. To say otherwise really destroys credibility as a poster. Sorry.

Would you make you feel better if the S-class sold a V-6 S350 (we don't get here) for the same price as a V-8 LS? If they brought it over, it would be the same price as the LS base. lol

The LS is by far the bargain of this class while offering the same kind of car. QUite an amazing feat.

I don't want to get into a whole argument of whether the LS is better than the S-Class....I say we get back on topic....

Why not put the 5.0 litre V8 from the IS-F into the LS.....call it the LS500s...

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 "Sport"