Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think of this deal for a C63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:20 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to figure what the problem is with the S5 I mean my word you just got it a year ago? Buyers regret?
Old 06-22-09, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I see....

20% off the invoice...

btw those cars are executive/corp demos, that is why 2009 with such low miles are at the dealership. They were never registered as having a owner. Still never registered.
Demos are usually cars that get the snot beat outta them..

Old 06-22-09, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

but seriously, you don't think its even a decent deal if I can get 47k for my trade in and the C63 for 54k?
IF you can get a truly new C63 (not a demo) for your car and 7K, I agree, consider it, but I don't think that's going to happen, for reasons I explained in the other thread. Also, keep in mind what rominl and 1SICKLEX said....they are correct. Demos can be somewhat risky buys.

47K trade-in for your S5 looks about right.....assuming there's no problems with it. I ran a KBB for the average 2008 S5 in excellent condition and 15,000 miles, and they show around 48K. But, the question will be if you can get a truly new C63 for 54K. A demo, maybe, but I'm not sure I'd want a demo.

The average dealership will, of course, try to make as much money as it can. Higher trade-ins often mean higher new-car prices to compensate. Sometimes, though, you can luck out a little if the manufacturer is paying the dealer "holdback" money or other incentives to sell specific cars by the end of the month. If the dealer gets incentives from the manufacturer to move cars as quickly as possible (as often happens at the end of the model year to clear off the lots for new models) then sometimes the dealer will pass on the savings to you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 11:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Demos are usually cars that get the snot beat outta them..
there you go. imho demo are even worse than cars where dealership took back due to finance issues (which aren't uncommon these days).

just thinking what i did to all these high performance demo cars when they only had 100 miles...

Originally Posted by Milla...
I'm still trying to figure what the problem is with the S5 I mean my word you just got it a year ago? Buyers regret?
could be. i had my ls460l for 6 months and i sold it. just not a car for me

but i guess it's all just the OP itself, that's something he has to justify himself

Will you come with me to negotiate my car for me?

but seriously, you don't think its even a decent deal if I can get 47k for my trade in and the C63 for 54k?
lol, first key is never show them that you want the car more than they want to sell it.

getting 46-47 for your car is great, but that does not mean you should make a bad decision on the next car you get right?
Old 06-22-09, 12:21 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Let me get this straight... You are willing to trade in your almost new S5, take a massive hit, pay extra money, only to get a 2009MY C63 that ALREADY has over 5000 miles, most of which are accumulated through abuse and thrashing as a DEMO car?

2009MY + 5000mi + 450hp + demo = EPIC FAIL
Old 06-22-09, 12:38 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was going to restate what was already said about cars with mileage on it, especially with 5K.

Just as an example, when I was looking at a C63, there was one with 1000 miles on it and the salesperson insisted that I take a test drive. During the test drive, he said "go ahead and punch it". As I took a look at the mileage listed on the dealer price sheet, it stated that it was used but with 700 miles on it. Where did the other 300 miles come from? The salesperson admitted to me, after some specific questioning, that the sales staff probably too it for a ride when the managers left. And to think that the car wasn't even properly broken in. So the moral, don't do it and either look at a new one or keep the Audi.
Old 06-22-09, 12:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, I agree with the OP about the trade for a C63. The S5 is a pretty face, but a rather tame drive. Like him, I'd prefer a thrilling ride over appearance.

But do NOT buy a demo car. Those 5,000 miles are probably akin to 30,000 normal miles, or more like 50,000 miles if I was driving it.
Old 06-22-09, 02:09 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the inputs, I am now realizing that the demo deals were pretty bad. Looks like 5k under invoice for a brand new one isn't too hard after all.

BTW does anyone know how the sales tax for cars works for a trade-in in california? In other states where I've purchased a car I was able to deduct the trade-in value from the purchase price of the car and was only taxed on the difference. But I have been told by a few salesmen that that's not how it works in california. They said that I would be taxed on the whole price of the car and the trade-in is considered a down payment? Can someone confirm this? This changes the game completely for me if I have to pay another 5-6 grand in taxes, that's too much. Not to mention the ridiculous registration fees in Cali.
Old 06-22-09, 02:20 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Guys, I agree with the OP about the trade for a C63. The S5 is a pretty face, but a rather tame drive. Like him, I'd prefer a thrilling ride over appearance.

But do NOT buy a demo car. Those 5,000 miles are probably akin to 30,000 normal miles, or more like 50,000 miles if I was driving it.
Abso FREAKIN lutely!!!!!
Old 06-22-09, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks for the inputs, I am now realizing that the demo deals were pretty bad. Looks like 5k under invoice for a brand new one isn't too hard after all.

BTW does anyone know how the sales tax for cars works for a trade-in in california? In other states where I've purchased a car I was able to deduct the trade-in value from the purchase price of the car and was only taxed on the difference. But I have been told by a few salesmen that that's not how it works in california. They said that I would be taxed on the whole price of the car and the trade-in is considered a down payment? Can someone confirm this? This changes the game completely for me if I have to pay another 5-6 grand in taxes, that's too much. Not to mention the ridiculous registration fees in Cali.
i can confirm that, that law doesn't apply here in CA. you pay tax on the whole price of the car, regardless of trade-in

well i know your address is in orange county, at least that's cheaper on sales tax. i was hearing from my friend yesterday that they have another 0.5% hike in sales tax for LA county
Old 06-22-09, 06:18 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i can confirm that, that law doesn't apply here in CA. you pay tax on the whole price of the car, regardless of trade-in

well i know your address is in orange county, at least that's cheaper on sales tax. i was hearing from my friend yesterday that they have another 0.5% hike in sales tax for LA county

yup starting in July the sales tax is 9.75%
Old 06-22-09, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks to the Stimulus Bill, however, that 9.75% sales tax will be deductible on your Federal return (along with any interest you pay on car financing if you don't pay cash), so, if you itemize your deductions, you'll get at least some of that back, depending on your tax bracket.
Old 06-22-09, 07:54 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks to the Stimulus Bill, however, that 9.75% sales tax will be deductible on your Federal return (along with any interest you pay on car financing if you don't pay cash), so, if you itemize your deductions, you'll get at least some of that back, depending on your tax bracket.
The entire 9.75% is deductible? Are you positive?

btw when does this end? at the end of the year?
Old 06-22-09, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The entire 9.75% is deductible? Are you positive?
As far as I know it is. It was stuck into the Stimulus package specifically to increase new-car sales.

It is good up to January 2010 for a $49,500 limit, on foreign or domestic nameplates, and on vehicles up to 8500 lbs. So, if you buy a new C63 for 54K, you can deduct what the sales tax would be on a new $49,500 car, and only the part between 49.5K and 54K would be non-deductible. Of course, like I said earlier, I'll be surprised if you can get a new C63 for 54K, unless it is a risky demo.

This site explains the details.

(in fact, I may have been wrong when I said you would have to itemize.....according to this, you get the deduction even if you don't itemize).

http://www.savingtoinvest.com/2009/0...-economic.html

The deduction is limited to the state and local sales and excise taxes paid on up to $49,500 of the purchase price of a qualified new foreign or domestic cars, SUV's, light trucks, motor homes or motorcycles that weigh no more than 8,500 pounds. You can still buy a qualifying vehicle for more than $49,500 (e.g a $80,000 BMW per a commenter's question below), but you will only get a tax deduction up to the specified limit.

The deduction is only available to families making less than $260,000 (or $135,000 for single filers). It is phased out for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is between $125,000 and $135,000 for individual filers and between $250,000 and $260,000 for joint filers.

The new vehicle must be purchased on or after Feb. 17, 2009, and before Jan. 1, 2010, to qualify for the deduction. Purchases before Feb. 17, 2009, are not eligible for this special deduction.

The deduction is available regardless of whether a taxpayer itemizes deductions on their return (Schedule A). The deduction cannot be taken on 2008 tax returns (even if they are amended or filed late). Also, unlike other tax credits in the economic stimulus package this tax break is not an offset to your federal taxes (i.e. a tax credit), it is a deduction against your taxable income.
Old 06-22-09, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

assume your car is 50k, another 0.5% is another 250 bucks, so...

Quick Reply: What do you think of this deal for a C63 AMG?