Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 04:48 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S5 isn't meant to compete with the M3... it's meant to compete with the 335i coupe. Though I wouldn't describe my 335i's handling as 'motorboat' in the least, it's still far off from current-gen M3 handling. Somewhat on par with the previous gen M3.

Mercedes reliability is still definitely an issue... but then again so is Audi. I don't think you'd be hurting your chances there. Personally I have observed far more quality issues with Benz than Audi but that's just my personal observations.

I can't comment on the S5's driving experience since I've never driven one but I can sure say I'd break my neck checking out an S5 long before I'd do a double take looking at a C63. I drove a C350 and did not care for it at all. Not sure how much that's translate to the C63 but the C350's ride/handling combination was bad, and the interior just wasn't very impressive to me.
Old 06-23-09, 08:08 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
the C350's ride/handling combination was bad
I'm curious. You're basing your observation of the C350s ride and handling to which? IS350? Mercury Tracer?

The C class is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. And aside from that it also handles quite well in my experience. The C class is about balance - the balance of comfort and sport and I think the car has done this quite well. All too often people attack the C class without understanding what it is about.

The interior is also fine. Spartan and bland, true, but well-made and it definitely feels expensive in the long run. The true quality of the interior becomes apparent when you own the car like I have.

I've owned the new European W204 C class C200 CDI (company car) and I have also driven the C180 Kompressor (company car). In both cars I came away very impressed with the ride comfort, handling and the seat design, too.

I can't understand where you're coming from, hence I quoted you.
Old 06-23-09, 08:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm curious. You're basing your observation of the C350s ride and handling to which? IS350? Mercury Tracer?

The C class is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. And aside from that it also handles quite well in my experience. The C class is about balance - the balance of comfort and sport and I think the car has done this quite well. All too often people attack the C class without understanding what it is about.

The interior is also fine. Spartan and bland, true, but well-made and it definitely feels expensive in the long run. The true quality of the interior becomes apparent when you own the car like I have.

I've owned the new European W204 C class C200 CDI (company car) and I have also driven the C180 Kompressor (company car). In both cars I came away very impressed with the ride comfort, handling and the seat design, too.

I can't understand where you're coming from, hence I quoted you.
I'm comparing it to the 06 Audi A4 I used to have and 07 335i I currently have, plus my friend's 05 TL... all direct competitors to the C-class.

I test drove a C350 when I still had my Audi but was figuring out what I wanted to replace it with (ended up getting the 335i). I drove several other cars in and around that price range at that time too, yes including the IS350 and G35.

I remember already feeling that the C350 felt cheap and lacked refinement within just a couple minutes of pulling it out of the dealership, but then to top it all off the passenger side vanity mirror light was not working, and the passenger side back door lock actually fell off the door onto the floor while I was driving (nobody touched it). Those were just two definitive confirmations for what I already felt was a cheap car for the price.

This car would be fine in terms of quality and refinement if it were selling for maybe 60% of its MSRP... but no car in the 45k dollar range should drive like that.

Handling was not bad, but nowhere near the 335i. Ride quality was similar to the 335i but with a less refined/solid feel to it, and much worse than my A4. Road noise was excessive, and interior materials felt not much better than you'd find in a Nissan Altima.

Just my .02.
Old 06-23-09, 08:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Threxx so the C350 you test drove was the last gen one? I wasn't a fan of that one either, but the new C's seem pretty solid (I've only driven the 300)
Old 06-23-09, 08:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Threxx so the C350 you test drove was the last gen one? I wasn't a fan of that one either, but the new C's seem pretty solid (I've only driven the 300)
It was a 2008... they had literally just come out within the last week when I went to drive one. Maybe there was something wrong with the one I drove being that it was a brand new design... who knows. It's the only 08+ C-class I've driven so I have nothing else to compare it to.
Old 06-23-09, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
lack of reliability is the trade off for the jet fighter type technology found in cars like the S class. The car has night vision, massaging seats, 4 zone AC, automatic everything, and radar sensing cruise control that will actually bring the car to a stop by itself. All of this is going to come with some electrical issues. I dont think a benz is the sype of car that will leave you stranded in a parking lot, but it will leave you stranded at the dealership service area ( luckily they provide loaners)
No, I disagee with that. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura put a lot of electronics into their vehicles, and yet manage to keep most of them out of the shop.....the Infiniti QX56 being the lone exception.
Old 06-23-09, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagee with that. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura put a lot of electronics into their vehicles, and yet manage to keep most of them out of the shop.....the Infiniti QX56 being the lone exception.
I agree with you on this, Mercedes executed poorly in the period 2001-2007 both advanced electronic gimmicks and basic electrical items such as rear brake light assemblies.

Mercedes is well aware of it recent history of reliability issues and the brand new models exhibit better results due to better design and reliability engineering. Let's hope the trend continues. Obviously they make many very desirable cars that even sold well in the dark years that I mentioned above.
Old 06-23-09, 01:59 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just lease them or sell when warranty runs out and you should be ok. It woulnd't hurt to get acquainted with you benz service advisor. You'll need it. I noticed stupid little things go out on benz's... waste of time imho.
Old 06-23-09, 05:27 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I've written this a few times regarding MBZ reliability. Stay away from them if you plan on keeping them for a long time. My wife and I learned the hard way. The only reason why we still have one is of sentimental value. It was her wedding gift from me. It's a car she's always wanted, but after too many visits to the dealer, she wouldn't mind having it replaced. It's a fun car to drive, but not worth the reliability headaches. She spent another $4500 just recently for an extended warranty to make sure the damn car is covered for another 3 years. $#@%!
Old 06-23-09, 05:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MI350_55
I've written this a few times regarding MBZ reliability. Stay away from them if you plan on keeping them for a long time. My wife and I learned the hard way. The only reason why we still have one is of sentimental value. It was her wedding gift from me. It's a car she's always wanted, but after too many visits to the dealer, she wouldn't mind having it replaced. It's a fun car to drive, but not worth the reliability headaches. She spent another $4500 just recently for an extended warranty to make sure the damn car is covered for another 3 years. $#@%!
Your last Benz was the 2005, right? Yep, that explains the poor reliability, that's about when the problems peaked, certainly a prime example.
Old 06-23-09, 09:57 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Agreed. Ours was 2006 and was problematic since new. Our 92 SC400 will last longer than that.
Old 06-23-09, 10:42 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm.....

anyone have any source / link to any improvements in newer model Mercedes?

Is it true that AMG models are more reliable than the regular Mercedes?

I am pretty much sold on the C63 AMG but the only thing that bothers me is the potential problems I might have to deal with.
Old 06-23-09, 11:52 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i would still never buy an audi/bmw/mb. only lease. same with gm/fomoco/chrysler vehicles.

I'd only buy tomoco and hopefully porsche, one day
Old 06-24-09, 07:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Hmmm.....

anyone have any source / link to any improvements in newer model Mercedes?

Is it true that AMG models are more reliable than the regular Mercedes?

I am pretty much sold on the C63 AMG but the only thing that bothers me is the potential problems I might have to deal with.
Good question. Yes, Consumers Reports reliability charts published in 2009.

I have a 08 C300 (new/current generation) and the quality/reliability is close to my Lexus and far better than any Benz that I've owned or leased in the last decade. My opinion is that Mercedes is doing the necessary design and reliability engineering upfront for the new models only. I have my doubt about Mercedes ability to improve quality of it's older designs that were released in model years prior to 2008.
Old 06-24-09, 08:32 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm comparing it to the 06 Audi A4 I used to have and 07 335i I currently have, plus my friend's 05 TL... all direct competitors to the C-class.

I test drove a C350 when I still had my Audi but was figuring out what I wanted to replace it with (ended up getting the 335i). I drove several other cars in and around that price range at that time too, yes including the IS350 and G35.

I remember already feeling that the C350 felt cheap and lacked refinement within just a couple minutes of pulling it out of the dealership, but then to top it all off the passenger side vanity mirror light was not working, and the passenger side back door lock actually fell off the door onto the floor while I was driving (nobody touched it). Those were just two definitive confirmations for what I already felt was a cheap car for the price.

This car would be fine in terms of quality and refinement if it were selling for maybe 60% of its MSRP... but no car in the 45k dollar range should drive like that.

Handling was not bad, but nowhere near the 335i. Ride quality was similar to the 335i but with a less refined/solid feel to it, and much worse than my A4. Road noise was excessive, and interior materials felt not much better than you'd find in a Nissan Altima.

Just my .02.

I take it you're talking about the last generation C class, right? Because to my knowledge that car wasn't the most competitive in its segment. In terms of overall balance I would suspect that it must have been decent since Mercedes tends to that very well.

Given your terrible experience with that car, I suggest you look into the new C class for the sake of changing your opinion. This new C class is highly impressive.

I had the new W204 C class as a company car and I loved it. Right now I am looking into buying a private car for myself and my wife (after the company lease on our current E230 expires) and I find myself glancing at the W204 C class estate model. Naturally, I am going to look on the second hand car market for one of those but the allure of the new C class and its qualities is hard to resist.

Also under consideration are the Citroen C5, BMW 1 series and Skoda Superb, though I'll probably drop the Skoda in the end. It's a weird shopping process, having a Citroen, BMW and Mercedes and Skoda on your list...

Quick Reply: Is Mercedes reliability still an issue?