Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's quite a stretch you're making there. 10% is 10% and continually stating that the truck costs 75-80k when the base model costs $62k is a large assumption as well. That's like assuming every LS sold is the 600hL and costs 100k
Exactly. And it's all based on assumptions with not one actual figure. What we do know is per Nissan the brand doesn't make any money and if they don't fix that soon there are going to be some tough decisions being made.

Old 04-19-14, 10:20 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's quite a stretch you're making there. 10% is 10% and continually stating that the truck costs 75-80k when the base model costs $62k is a large assumption as well. That's like assuming every LS sold is the 600hL and costs 100k
I don't think you understand my point. Let me clarify - If you sell 1000 units at 75k or 1500 units at 40k, you are making more money selling the 1000 units than you are selling the 1500 units. So percentage-wise, while the 1500 unit model is selling at a higher percentage, its not bringing in more money. It's simple mathematics. That's why your "10% of sales" argument is not showing the whole picture. That 10% is a big 10% and a large chunk of the profits Infiniti brings in. But whether you think the QX80 is one of their bread and butter products or not, it still sells in ridiculous numbers given the high price point. And dealers rarely, if ever, carry base models on their lot. No one is buying a QX80 for 62k.
Old 04-19-14, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Infiniti is doing pretty bad right now... They have 90+ days of inventory right now... heck, Infiniti has more Inventory than Lexus, despite selling a lot less cars (28k vs 12k).

Maybe they will do better in the future, but they have been talking/promising about it for a while now though.
Old 04-19-14, 11:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Their lineup is also largely uncompetitive right now. I'm confident they'll be OK when the next generation of vehicles comes out. The Q30 and the next QX50 and QX70 will be crucial.
Old 04-19-14, 12:11 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior to my current 3IS I traded in a very nice FX which I enjoyed tremendously

Infinite with it's new branding of Q's or QX whatnot ............. I have nooo clue what the equivalent is for my previous FX .......................... like WTF did they do ????
Old 04-19-14, 05:38 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I don't think you understand my point. Let me clarify - If you sell 1000 units at 75k or 1500 units at 40k, you are making more money selling the 1000 units than you are selling the 1500 units. So percentage-wise, while the 1500 unit model is selling at a higher percentage, its not bringing in more money. It's simple mathematics. That's why your "10% of sales" argument is not showing the whole picture. That 10% is a big 10% and a large chunk of the profits Infiniti brings in. But whether you think the QX80 is one of their bread and butter products or not, it still sells in ridiculous numbers given the high price point. And dealers rarely, if ever, carry base models on their lot. No one is buying a QX80 for 62k.
And you can't just claim a bread and butter model. Is it a key model? Sure, but B&B models are the top drivers to the company and that's the Q50 and QX60. Those bring in the bulk of the profits.

Sure people don't buy the base model often, but they also don't get a fully loaded one often. If anything probably under 70k most of the time
Old 04-20-14, 06:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

And you can't just claim a bread and butter model. Is it a key model? Sure, but B&B models are the top drivers to the company and that's the Q50 and QX60. Those bring in the bulk of the profits.

Sure people don't buy the base model often, but they also don't get a fully loaded one often. If anything probably under 70k most of the time
Check the inventory of nearly Infiniti dealership and 90% of the QX80's are stickered between 70-74k. Not many approaching 80k.
Old 04-20-14, 09:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Wow. Just wow.

Are you going to complain next that S-class, E-class, GL, ML, and G-wagen all share the same V8?
550 engines were made to be sedan engines not a truck engine. Those were sedan engines first and foremost that were put into trucks. 5.6 was in the Titan, Pathfinder Armada, QX56 long before it made its way into the M. So what do you think about Lexus putting the 5.7 Tundra/Sequoia/LC/LX into the GS or LS? No thanks. LX470 engine has been around for a long long time why wasnt it put into the GS/LS430?
Old 04-20-14, 10:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by speedflex
Check the inventory of nearly Infiniti dealership and 90% of the QX80's are stickered between 70-74k. Not many approaching 80k.
Good to know. When I optioned it up to 80k on their website, it was the AWD version which may or may not have much demand based on the geography
Old 04-20-14, 11:23 AM
LexFather

Sadly what is being posted is the typical invalid internet argument which gives clues to ones background. No where in the history of business does anyone simply multiply MSRP by units sold and say "oh its a huge profit maker". We don't know any specifics or costs involved with the vehicle. For all we know it could be losing money.

What we know is Nissan stated the brand make 0 dollars its best years. We do know Inifniti has among the highest incentives of any luxury brand. We do know they subsidize leases heavily. So talking about MSRP is pretty ridiculous at this point. We do know that that big SUV does sell well for the brand.

Not even sure why the focus is on that model when this thread is about the m37/56.

Old 04-20-14, 11:44 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Sadly what is being posted is the typical invalid internet argument which gives clues to ones background. No where in the history of business does anyone simply multiply MSRP by units sold and say "oh its a huge profit maker". We don't know any specifics or costs involved with the vehicle. For all we know it could be losing money.

What we know is Nissan stated the brand make 0 dollars its best years. We do know Inifniti has among the highest incentives of any luxury brand. We do know they subsidize leases heavily. So talking about MSRP is pretty ridiculous at this point. We do know that that big SUV does sell well for the brand.

Not even sure why the focus is on that model when this thread is about the m37/56.
Wow, talk about invalid internet arguments. We are/were talking about bread and butter products and how selling over 1000 units per month of a full size premium luxury SUV is something no one else is doing other than Cadillac. We're not talking about specific profit margins. But then of course, you already know this.

It is common knowledge that typically the more expensive models bring in higher profits. What the exact profits are, are model-specific. Selling more units of a less expensive model may or may not bring in more money overall, but you can't just say 10% is 10% without looking into what that 10% of units sold consists of. 59% of all Lexus sales consist of either the ES or RX. But the LS & LX even though they are selling at a much smaller percentage are likely much more profitable per unit sold. So to even suggest the QX80 isn't more profitable than the Q50 per unit sold even without knowing the specific numbers is almost laughable.
Old 04-20-14, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Wow, talk about invalid internet arguments. We are/were talking about bread and butter products and how selling over 1000 units per month of a full size premium luxury SUV is something no one else is doing other than Cadillac. We're not talking about specific profit margins. But then of course, you already know this.

It is common knowledge that typically the more expensive models bring in higher profits. What the exact profits are, are model-specific. Selling more units of a less expensive model may or may not bring in more money overall, but you can't just say 10% is 10% without looking into what that 10% of units sold consists of. 59% of all Lexus sales consist of either the ES or RX. But the LS & LX even though they are selling at a much smaller percentage are likely much more profitable per unit sold. So to even suggest the QX80 isn't more profitable than the Q50 per unit sold even without knowing the specific numbers is almost laughable.
You cannot one one hand say "knowing Infiniti doesn't make any money doesn't matter" and then repeat over and over the one model they have sold well at this price point in 25 years. Makes no sense.

No one said its not selling well so not sure what your point is. Typcially a more expensive model makes more money but INFINITI MAKES NO MONEY so we don't know what helps their margins. We don't know. You are quick to dismiss the LX 570 vastly outsells it worldwide. So your point about the LX not selling well is really only for America and maybe, just maybe Lexus allocates less here since it sells so well in the middle east.

Not sure why you are here harping about Lexus and what they are doing. Obvisously Lexus knows what it is doing as its value is on par with Nissan though it sells far less volume. Lexus again rakes in 50% of the profits for Toyota. I think you should focus on how to fix infiniti or they won't be around as no business is in business not to make money or to lose money.

Old 04-20-14, 11:57 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

We can agree to disagree. I'm not disputing that the Q50 & QX60 aren't their biggest sellers and account for the majority of sales (as it does the ES & RX for Lexus), but the QX80 is a big seller for them - and it being so expensive, moving so many units per month, must be a primary focus for the brand.
Old 04-20-14, 12:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

We can agree to disagree. I'm not disputing that the Q50 & QX60 aren't their biggest sellers and account for the majority of sales (as it does the ES & RX for Lexus), but the QX80 is a big seller for them - and it being so expensive, moving so many units per month, must be a primary focus for the brand.
Sure. What I'm saying is that a B&B model is a model that the brand can't survive without. Can Lexus survive without the ES/RX? Nope. Can Infiniti survive without the Q50/QX60? Nope. Can Lexus survive without the GS or LX? Yup. Can Infiniti survive without the QX80? Yup
Old 04-21-14, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Infiniti Q70 (formerly M37) pics

2015 model looks a lot better. They slapped the Q50 face on it, beefed up the rear and added chrome strips along the lower sides. The rear 3/4 view looks a bit like the ES350 to me.

This is the "long wheelbase" version.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404167...long-wheelbase

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-21-14 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Official Infiniti Q70 (M37/56) thread