Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Static Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i mean really, why the hell does that trunk opening have to be so small? probably saved them 50c to reinforce the back end some other way.
Old 06-20-09, 05:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1

WOW!! Just Wow!!! This dash cluster/arrangement just looks sooooo horrible in it's execution. GM had a real potential to turn this car into a real profit getter, until you open the door and get a glimpse at that dash. It just does not have that "inviting" feeling at all; more utilitarian than anything else. I am sure that the die hard enthusiasts will propel this car into great sales numbers, primarily b/c they have been starving for GM to throw them a bone for a long while. I actually do like some aspects of the camaro, and always have, but most of them were asthetic. This new Camaro is one that I will continue to admire from afar, but not admire enough to invest my money into.
its retro -- obviosuly if you don't think retro is cool then you won't like the Camaro, that's the whole concept of the car....they weren't going for anything ground breaking with the interior --- ITS RETRO but modern.

I think the console gauges and instrumentation are more eye-catching the a boring-*** BMW....

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i mean really, why the hell does that trunk opening have to be so small? probably saved them 50c to reinforce the back end some other way.
now do you really think potential buyers give a crap about the size of the trunk opening....??

Last edited by bagwell; 06-20-09 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
now do you really think potential buyers give a crap about the size of the trunk opening....??
you're right. it's perfect.
Old 06-20-09, 11:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw another Camaro today on the way to dinner, bright yellow as expected.
Old 06-22-09, 07:19 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well much like the Mustang a lot of people that buy them will most likely to drive them everyday as their only car and I am sure they would like to be able to fit more than a shoe box into that hole, a spare tire maybe?
Old 06-22-09, 07:46 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its retro -- obviosuly if you don't think retro is cool then you won't like the Camaro, that's the whole concept of the car....they weren't going for anything ground breaking with the interior --- ITS RETRO but modern.

I think the console gauges and instrumentation are more eye-catching the a boring-*** BMW....
I have no problem with retro, and the modern interpretation can look very cool if done correctly. I don't dislike this interior, just not in love with it either. Could be the setup of gauges. Could be the materials used to finish the interior. Can't put my finger on it. Just know that there is something about this new interior that just hits the off button to me. Maybe because I just barely fall into the category(born in 73) of being able to appreciate the original Camaro since a few famiy members had them growing up. Yes, it is eye catching, and will get your attention quickly. I just think that the interior could have been finished off a little better.
Old 06-22-09, 08:10 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw my first new Camaro on the street yesterday, and it is a head-turner - beautiful in red!

Anyone that is a veteran of the muscle-car era will remember that all had that high lift-over trunk sill, but most had a broad, if short opening. If you had the Wide-Oval Goodyears, as my '67 'stang did, you had about half of a trunk left. No wonder the fix-a-flat, without it you wouldn't have a trunk . . . if you could get any kind of spare through that tiny opening at all.

Interior wise, the Mustang is a terrific mix of styling cues from the era with modern instrumentation and switchgear. Nicely done, Ford! You have to remember that muscle cars were not about the inside, but the outside. They were produced as a halo model for the marque. Just as they were made to get off the line quickly - who cared if they could stop or corner? They were about the show-off factor, providing a nice visual experience from the outside, but inside, the level of comfort and convenience was a bit less impressive. From that standpoint, the current crop of nostalgia-mobiles is right on the mark.
Old 06-22-09, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe not, but my job, when I review a vehicle, is to describe it as it is....and how it drives. What is important to individual buyers, and what isn't, of course, differs from person to person.
Old 06-22-09, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Saw my first new Camaro on the street yesterday, and it is a head-turner - beautiful in red!

Were you close enough to it to note the quality of its paint job? GM paint, especially on Chevies and Cadillacs, has improved enormously in the last several years.
Old 06-22-09, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
I have no problem with retro, and the modern interpretation can look very cool if done correctly. I don't dislike this interior, just not in love with it either. Could be the setup of gauges. Could be the materials used to finish the interior. Can't put my finger on it. Just know that there is something about this new interior that just hits the off button to me. Maybe because I just barely fall into the category(born in 73) of being able to appreciate the original Camaro since a few famiy members had them growing up. Yes, it is eye catching, and will get your attention quickly. I just think that the interior could have been finished off a little better.

The original Camaro interiors, in the 1960's, weren't that impressive either, especially compared to the finely-detailed interiors of many other GM products of the time (noticeably better than the interiors of 60's-era Ford, Chrysler, and AMC products). The 1969 and early-70 model Camaro probably had the best Camaro interior ever....the F-Bodies were redesigned as all-new 70-71 models a couple of months later, and, IMO, cheapened some.
Old 06-22-09, 11:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe not, but my job, when I review a vehicle, is to describe it as it is....and how it drives. What is important to individual buyers, and what isn't, of course, differs from person to person.
I know Mike -- and thanks for the great review -- I was mainly replying to bitkahuna.

BTW -- If you've seen the interior lit up it really looks cool...even the console gauges.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-22-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I just saw one yesterday in a parking lot. Sorry to say it did not look as good in person as it did in pictures, but still not bad though.
Old 06-22-09, 03:45 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The original Camaro interiors, in the 1960's, weren't that impressive either, especially compared to the finely-detailed interiors of many other GM products of the time (noticeably better than the interiors of 60's-era Ford, Chrysler, and AMC products). The 1969 and early-70 model Camaro probably had the best Camaro interior ever....the F-Bodies were redesigned as all-new 70-71 models a couple of months later, and, IMO, cheapened some.
The 70 1/2 F- bodies were a huge improvement over the 67-69 models. Unless you like the plaid with chrome look.
Dash & instrument panel were the best of all the F-bodies
Old 06-22-09, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
The 70 1/2 F- bodies were a huge improvement over the 67-69 models. Unless you like the plaid with chrome look.
Dash & instrument panel were the best of all the F-bodies
Though matters like this are, of course, subjective, I have to disagree. I grew up with the Camaro during its early years (late 60's/early 70s) and, being a rabid car reviewer even back then in my teen-age years, I noticed the overall cheapening of the new 70 1/2 models, especially in the interiors. Engine power began to wane, too, but that was not necessarily GM's fault.....Federal emission and safety controls were just starting to cut in, big-time.
Old 08-18-09, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Sales of the born-again Chevrolet Camaro have been notably strong in its first few months on the market here in the United States, even beating its longtime crosstown rival from Ford in June and July.

Now, word comes from General Motors Asia Pacific that the Bowtie's latest muscle car is a hit (of sorts) in Japan as well. We must qualify the term "hit," as the car's total number of takers in Japan is very small, at "over 120 orders" – we could see at least that many within eyesight at any given time last weekend at the Woodward Dream Cruise. However, that's reportedly the American automaker's quota for Japan, although it isn't clear if the tiny allotment is part of General Motors' brand strategy or if the volume is limited by local government regulations. Either way, if you live in Japan and you want a new Camaro, you'd better put your name on Chevy's list for next year.

According to Inside Line, the new Camaro is expected to sell in Japan for the equivalent of $45,325 to $56,390, depending on the buyer's choice of either the six-cylinder or muscular V8 powerplant.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/18/b...sold-out-in-ni

Quick Reply: Static Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro