Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge Caliber and Chrysler Pacifica, where is the love?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Question Dodge Caliber and Chrysler Pacifica, where is the love?

IMO both vehicles predate a few of the "new" vehicles now that supposedly are segment busters or are raved about. Where was the love for these 2 vehicles? Are they really that bad? Are they "concepts" that made production but needed some true fine tuning to be leaders?

When I see the BMW X6 or Acura ZDX concept I think the Caliber beat them to the punch by years. I see the Venza and 5 series GT and think the Pacifica beat them to the punch by years.

The Caliber was made to replace the Neon as Dodge saw buyers wanting a sporty vehicle that had cargo space and had a high view like a SUV. The Pacifica was made to blend the SUV/Van into something unique.

Its amazing car mags and people completely DROOL over the other cars but the Caliber and Pacifica are never mentioned or ridiculed.

Does their failures mean that people do NOT want vehicles like these as mainstream vehicles? Are they really just niche products (though I believe both sell/sold quite well at one point).

Is it just me?

Old 06-18-09, 08:18 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I think the X6 is pretty ugly, just like the Pacifica. I know a guy who's car of choice when he was 19 was a Pacifica. Who knows why. The reliability of that vehicle was terrible. Transmissions problems galore.
Old 06-18-09, 08:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I fiddled around in the Pacifica @ the LA auto show when it was first released. The interior was cheap cheap cheap. Not a fan. I was with my then g/f's family and her mom liked the Pacifica's styling but when she sat in it her first response was "oh...that's disappointing"
Old 06-18-09, 08:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my Exs had a Caliber and I can personally attest to the fact that it is nearly as big of a POS as the Cobalt I just turned back in to Enterprise.

The Caliber doesn't deserve to exist.

The Pacifica could have been nicely updated or redesigned to keep in competition with the Flex, Venza, Murano, and others but I guess it got pushed to the back, back burner.
Old 06-18-09, 01:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

If either of those had been well made, they may have had a shot ... maybe ...

(no love)
Old 06-18-09, 02:04 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Driving a dodge caliber feels very awkward. They should have kept the neon.
Old 06-18-09, 02:49 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I drove a Dodge Caliber rental from SF to Napa (about an hour), and around town in Napa for a few days. I can honestly say that it was the biggest POS rental car that I have ever driven, and I've driven a lot of rentals. The engine was gutless, the brakes were terrible, the handling was nonexistent, and the interior looked and felt like it belonged in an 80's Hyundai. It was so bad that I had more fear driving that car at the speed limit versus driving my car in traffic at 100 mph. As a comparison, I've driven a Suzuki Aerio rental down to Mexico, and it was 10x the car.

If someone comes on here to defend that car, ban them immediately. They're either retarded or work for Dodge. edit: (or most likely both)

Last edited by pvmike1; 06-18-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 02:53 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

LOL they had a SRT version
Old 06-18-09, 03:13 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agree on the Caliber; very bad even as a rental car. The looks are horrible, the handling is terrible and the interior feels VERY CHEAP.

The Pacifica, while not a big fan of it, was a car that I would consider to be OK at best. This car really has no "presence" while driving, and had Chrysler actually invested some money iinto this vehicle, as well as made the design alot more attractive, it could have been a hit.
Old 06-18-09, 03:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I wouldnt compare Caliber to X6. Caliber is a cheap, crappy car that is actually suitable for someone who needed some utility but didnt wanna shell out for an SUV. Too bad the car was built out of compressed rust and noone wanted it.

As far as Pacifica, dont forget its premium sibling that also failed, perhaps even more miserably. The R class. Its just uncool, unhip, whatever.
Old 06-18-09, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I've been a fan of the Caliber's design/architecture and was on my shopping list because I liked it's rugged looks and versatility for a compact.

I think it drives OK and is not as bad as some make it out to be. The interior quality is insulting though and has probably been the main deal breaker among shoppers. I have a Yaris which is also criticized for having a cheap interior but compared to the Caliber, it's top notch. Surprisingly though, the Caliber has a decent reliability record so far especially by Chrysler standards.

Also, let's not discredit it's success. The Caliber has, at least up until this year's downturn, was selling quite well.
Old 06-18-09, 07:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!

Also, let's not discredit it's success. The Caliber has, at least up until this year's downturn, was selling quite well.
I wouldn't doubt it. Fleet owners love them.
Old 06-18-09, 08:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't doubt it. Fleet owners love them.
Fleet sales were high but it also did well with private sales as well. I see tons of them on the road everyday.
Old 06-19-09, 06:18 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I've been in the Caliber once and surely it has not been the kind of replacement as the Magnum when it replaced the Intrepid.
Old 06-19-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've driven both and dislike both.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caliber and Chrysler Pacifica, where is the love?