Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ML 320 Bluetec Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 09:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ML 320 Bluetec Review

Well after all of the discussions regarding MB and Lexus over the last little while, I thought that it was time to post my thoughts on our new 2009 ML 320 Bluetec. It is primarily my wife's SUV, so I wanted to wait until I had enough seat time in it to offer a fair evaluation.

I do want to say that we loved our previous RX (and my current IS F) and would have likely bought the new RX 450h without even cross shopping the competition. However, after the issues that I had with my damaged calipers on my F (see numerous other threads/posts) we started looking at other options.

We had cross shopped the BMW X5, X6 and X3, the Audi Q5 and Q7 and the MB GLK and ML. There were many factors that played into the final decision but the ML 320 Bluetec is what fit our needs the best.

Knowing that this will be nowhere near as detailed or informative as mmarshall or 1Sick....here goes:

Even though many consumers will cross shop the ML's and the RX, I still am of the opinion that they are not truly direct competitors to each other. As I've mentioned previously, I think that the RX is almost in a category of it's own that fits somewhere between the smaller "cute utes" and the larger X5/ML/Q7 segment.

The ML feels huge compared to the RX inside, but you'd never know it in the handling. The argument that the Germans know how to do handling/suspension definitely has some merit. The steering is responsive and confidence instilling, while the ride quality is shockingly quiet and smooth. We have the run flat tires and I can't fathom the complaints that some people have regarding them. It is easily quieter than our previous RX and whisper quiet compared to both of my father's X5's.

The 7 speed auto is silky smooth and offers consistent power at any speed. We haven't towed anything yet, but have travelled through steep grades in the mountains and are sure that it will handle anything we throw at it admirably.

The interior is something that the new gen ML has improved on. When we had looked at the ML back when we got our '05 RX we were both very disappointed in the lack of technology and luxury of the Benz. We really like that we had the option for a black bird's eye maple versus the redder wood in the Lexus. I know that this isn't everyone's preference, but it is nice to have a choice.

We also really enjoy the Artico "leather" in the ML. It's texture allows you to feel more planted in your seat (ie. you don't slide on it like the smooth leather of the RX) and it will last much longer than true leather.

The stereo in our ML is easily on par with the Mark Levinson that we test drove in the new RX....and we don't have the upgraded Harmon Kardon. The sound quality is amazing and the ipod integration is fantastic. Which leads to the navigation. We love that we can operate the ipod through the steering wheel and view the song list in the instrument cluster while still viewing the navigation on the main screen. The navigation is very accurate and displays nicely, but the actual physical navigation is somewhat tedious.

We also love that you can operate the navi while the vehicle is in motion. There are less "nannies" in the ML which we can appreciate. Besides the nav, the speed limiter is set much higher, 200 km/h (no I haven't been there....yet) and even things like the rear tailgate warning beep or seatbelt warnings are quieter and less intrusive.

Even something as simple as a vent in the sunroof shade is a nice touch so you can allow fresh air in while still blocking out the hot sun.

But the biggest attraction to the ML for us was the new to MB, Bluetec technology. We had decided that we wanted something a little more green, so we had settled on the hybrid or a diesel. We have been told that we won't see our optimal gas mileage until somewhere in the 8000-10000 km range. That being said we are currently getting 30 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg combined since purchasing it.

The added bonus, at the moment, is that Premium Diesel is selling for $0.769 per liter versus $1.099 per liter for Premium Gas. That's 33 cents per liter....or $1.25 per gallon less! Combine that with 900 plus km per tank and we are very happy.

Now before anyone starts claiming MB koolaid addict....the ML isn't perfect. Some of the things that we miss from the RX are the lack of air conditioned seats, the extra front plug in for radar/phone charger, the extra driver's side cup holder and the lack of a sunglass compartment/holder.

The navigation, like I mentioned earlier, is somewhat tedious to navigate. The new remote touch set up in the RX is by far the best console set up available on the market today. If only you could use it while driving.

The running boards, while aesthetically pleasing, are not very funtional.

The 3 stalk set up is also somewhat annoying. There is one stalk for the cruise control, one for the wipers, and one for the gear shifting. It does take a bit of getting used to with the gears being up there, but the one touch "Park" is nice. The wipers are fine as well, but the cruise control is in an awkward spot and I could do without it.

The other major issue thus far is the MB versus Lexus reliability. We had one problem very early on with our RX that was rectified under warranty and other than that it was a FANTASTIC vehicle. Already in a month and 5000 km, we have had a wiper blade that was delivered broken, an infamous check engine light that stayed on for 2 days and then went away on it's own, and just last week we got our first recall notice.

None of these issues are major, but they are certainly a PITA and shouldn't happen on a vehicle of this category or price point.

A couple of other things that have been a nice touch are the 2 year or 40000 km "wear and tear" warranty that will cover brakes, rotors, pads, light bulbs, etc. if any of them go. We were also provided a $700 gift certificate for a portrait, as well as a $100 gift certificate in the MB "boutique" for simply filling out a survey.

Another deciding factor was MB's willingness to deal on their brand new model. We were give $2K off of our ML, while Lexus was not willing to move at all on the new RX.

We know that we would have been happy with the RX 450h, but have no regrets with our decision to switch to the Benz.
I hope this review is helpful to those that are looking at both vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails ML 320 Bluetec Review-mlisf.jpg   ML 320 Bluetec Review-mlisf2.jpg   ML 320 Bluetec Review-mlisf3.jpg  
Old 06-01-09, 10:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The M does have a very upscale interior. I agree about the nav since it hasnt gotten the latest COMAND navigation with the rotary ****.

hows the power on that thing?
Old 06-01-09, 10:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the M Class. I am very disapointed in MB of USA for not offering the ML 420 cdi. I love my 500 for its power. Dont get me wrong but I love the 320 as well but its a bit underpowered for my taste. It has the same hp as my ML500, 302 but the torque is a diffrent story. While my ML has a satisfying 300 foot lbs the 420 produces a mind boggoling 516.
Old 06-01-09, 10:29 PM
LexFather

Very good review. I think its great you got the diesel model. Is the NAV touchscreen? I missed that part I think. To be honest the RX 450h will likely have a few first year issues as they always due so don't feel too bad about the ML small issues.

VEry enjoyable read. Any interior pics?

Old 06-01-09, 10:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
The M does have a very upscale interior. I agree about the nav since it hasnt gotten the latest COMAND navigation with the rotary ****.

hows the power on that thing?
Originally Posted by bad co
I love the M Class. I am very disapointed in MB of USA for not offering the ML 420 cdi. I love my 500 for its power. Dont get me wrong but I love the 320 as well but its a bit underpowered for my taste. It has the same hp as my ML500, 302 but the torque is a diffrent story. While my ML has a satisfying 300 foot lbs the 420 produces a mind boggoling 516.
The power is pretty decent in the ML 320. It's rated at only 268 hp, but it has 400 lb/ft of torque. Seems to have plenty of power for passing on the highway and it is very easy to get to speeds that you shouldn't be driving in an SUV.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good review. I think its great you got the diesel model. Is the NAV touchscreen? I missed that part I think. To be honest the RX 450h will likely have a few first year issues as they always due so don't feel too bad about the ML small issues.

VEry enjoyable read. Any interior pics?
The nav is NOT touchscreen....another shortcoming of the nav that I forgot to mention. The newer COMMAND **** in the GLK that we test drove is an improvement over what we have, but it still isn't close to as intuitive as the RX remote touch.

I complete forgot the interior pics...lol.
Attached Thumbnails ML 320 Bluetec Review-mbbluetech7.jpg   ML 320 Bluetec Review-mbbluetech8.jpg   ML 320 Bluetec Review-mbbluetech9.jpg  
Old 06-01-09, 11:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review! I, too was impressed when I test drove the Bluetec M-Class earlier this year. You couldn't tell it's a diesel from inside the cabin.
Old 06-01-09, 11:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

...there's just something wrong with an MB with seat buttons on the side

my C class has that too on the passenger side
Old 06-02-09, 04:11 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx CDN, was looking forward to this review since you purchased... glad you like it!!! GREAT review!!!
Old 06-02-09, 04:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a little more power and mileage, check this out: http://tsperformance.com/mvp-lux.html

this company makes very very good products; you would love this module. the best part about diesels is that they love mods. anything within reason will get more power and mileage and not harm reliablity at all.
Old 06-02-09, 05:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This has to be the best automotive review I've read on here You even included real life pics to boot. I see the ML has the same sunroof configuration as the BMW X vehicles.. I love the fresh air feature where the panoramic roof tilts up and the shade opens in the middle revealing a mesh that allows fresh air into the cabin minus sunlight. The ML is a very nice vehicle. I cross shopped the ML350, RX, X3 and ended up with the X3 because of the drive. Enjoy that beautiful ML!
Old 06-02-09, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write-up, CDNROCKIES. I did a full-length review on the ML320 Bluetec several months ago and agree with much of what you say. And congragulations on your purchase.

The Diesel version probably makes more sense for you in Canada than it does here, because of fuel prices. Here, in the U.S., diesel runs more than premium gasoline (although tax credits are available with a diesel purchase to offset that some). From what you describe, though, in Canada, it seems to be the reverse......diesel is less than gasloine. So you not only enjoy the Bluetec diesel's excellent operating characteristics (it is as different from 70s-80s vintage car diesels as night is from day), but you can run it cheaper, too.

Keep one thing in mind, though. There are reasons why some manufacturers won't allow NAV screens to be adjusted while the car is moving. It can be distracting and lead to accidents, especially with a complex screen/controls like with Mercedes systems.

I agree with you on the suspension/ride/handling combination.......nobody does it like the Germans. And, among the Germans, nobody does it like BMW. Mercedes does it well (as in your case), but BMW is the King of suspension engineering.

If your diesel has more than about 5000 miles on it, depending on how you drive, watch for the indicator saying it needs a urea-solution refill....it could come on at any time (though about 10,000 miles is average). Modern BMW and Mercedes Bluetec diesels are marvelous, but that is one of the trade-offs you have to make for modern diesel technology....periodic urea-refills. Strangely, though, the smaller VW TDI diesels don't (yet) need that solution.....they get along OK without it.
Old 06-02-09, 02:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good practical review of the ML320. I used to own a 06 ML350 so I'm aware of how capable this model is when compared to most SUV's. Best of luck and enjoy.
Old 06-02-09, 03:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice write-up, CDNROCKIES. I did a full-length review on the ML320 Bluetec several months ago and agree with much of what you say. And congragulations on your purchase.
Thanks mmarshall! Your approval, and that of several others(1Sick, Russ, DA, IS, etc.) means a lot, as I firmly believe that this is the most knowledgeable and fair car forum out there.

Keep one thing in mind, though. There are reasons why some manufacturers won't allow NAV screens to be adjusted while the car is moving. It can be distracting and lead to accidents, especially with a complex screen/controls like with Mercedes systems.
I understand what you are saying, but I'm not even necessarily referring to the driver having access to it. What's nice is for the wife to be able to play with destinations while we are moving. The way it's set up in our ML, I'd have to reach across to play with the buttons by myself, which I agree is distracting and potentially dangerous. Now the remote touch in the RX...that's a different story.

If your diesel has more than about 5000 miles on it, depending on how you drive, watch for the indicator saying it needs a urea-solution refill....it could come on at any time (though about 10,000 miles is average). Modern BMW and Mercedes Bluetec diesels are marvelous, but that is one of the trade-offs you have to make for modern diesel technology....periodic urea-refills. Strangely, though, the smaller VW TDI diesels don't (yet) need that solution.....they get along OK without it.
We use kilometers up here. I've got a long way to go before urea becomes an issue. Our first service is at 15 000 km, which should give us plenty of room to not worry about the urea, but thanks.
Old 06-02-09, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
We use kilometers up here. I've got a long way to go before urea becomes an issue. Our first service is at 15 000 km, which should give us plenty of room to not worry about the urea, but thanks.
Oops.....you got me on that one. I forgot that we Americans are the world's black sheep when it comes to miles. Almost everybody else uses KM.

Same principle, though. All Bluetec diesels need the periodic urea refillings, whether in miles or KM. Probably worth it, though.....It's a pleasure to drive them, especially with the (now) easy-starting and instant torque at low speeds.

You don't need to tell us how much you paid, but were you satisfied with the deal? I suspect Canadian taxes on a new-vehicle sale are probably higher than in most U.S. state sales-taxes down here. There are no Federal taxes here on new-car sales in America, except for the gas-guzzler taxes on poor-mileage vehicles.
Old 06-02-09, 04:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

No need to worry about unscheduled urea refills, looks like Mercedes built in plenty of capacity:

"The AdBlue system injects an aqueous urea solution into the exhaust flow, which releases ammonia (NH3), reducing nitrogen oxides to harmless nitrogen and water in the downstream SCR catalytic converter. Just the right amount of AdBlue for a given engine load and speed is injected to get the greatest reduction of nitrogen oxides. Its tank only needs to be refilled every 10,000 miles during routine maintenance intervals (typical oil-change intervals are 10,000 miles)."

Source - Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply: ML 320 Bluetec Review