Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car would you choose if you had to??
95-98 Nissan 240sx
15.22%
MKIII Toyota Supra N/A
23.91%
94-00 3rd Gen Acura Integra
26.09%
91-96 Toyota MR2 N/A
34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 03:32 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)

G'day folks...

I've decided to hand my Civic down to my younger brother...his Integra is on its last leg and he's looking for another commuter car. This Civic has given me no problems in the last year of ownership and averages at least 32-35MPG. There are no problems mechanically. The exterior is pretty much banged up here and there because my cousin didn't really take good care of it when she had it before me.

So I'm looking for another "beater". I've narrowed down my choices to several cars. I'm just looking for some input from any of you, wether you've owned one or knew someone who owned one.

I'm basically looking for something that gets good-to-excellent gas mileage, cool looking, and provides me that basic satisfaction. The Civic is a great car economically, but it's a car that seriously lacks that complete satisfaction factor. I feel like I'm driving "just a car". I don't like that feeling. I drove the Civic to and from work. So this is a perfect opportunity to get myself into a car that I'll enjoy driving to and from work.

This next car will be slightly modded - meaning wheels and lowering. Nowhere near the level as my Coupe though. I just can't leave stock alone

Here is a list of what I've narrowed down to and why imo...

The 1995-1998 Nissan 240SX - I've always liked this coupe...being a N/A 4-Cylinder, I'll still be able to get good MPG

The N/A Mark III Toyota Supra...I can't afford the Mark IV...LoL...but the retro "square" profile and pop-up headlights are something I'll always find interesting...I'm looking at the N/A model because of increased MPG over the Turbo model

94-00 Acura Integra Sedan - I like the sedan over the 2-door for some odd reason. Call me a ricer or whatever, but I love that JDM front end on these cars...It's obvious I'm considering this car because of it's reliability and effeciency, but give me the look without the performance please. I would probably consider this car AFTER looking at the other 3 - If one pops up all done up at the right price, then I would probably buy it...

91-96 N/A Toyota MR2 - This car seems to be a fun car is a small package. I've always liked them because you just don't see them around that often.

I probably could buy a newer,cheaper, and lower mileage car, but I don't think I'll like driving them to be honest with you. I have an eye on these ones because I'm an enthusiast at heart and would be happy with any one of them. Even my "beater" has to be something that I like...

If I posted a pic of your car or if it they belong to somebody you know, then I'm just using them purely to describe what I'm looking for...thanks
I just wanted to know what your thoughts would be...
Old 05-31-09, 04:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I woted for the Acura Integra, although I like all of them.

Its funny how you mentioned that you could have a newer, cheaper and lower mileage car, but wouldn't like driving it. Just the other day me and my wife were driving on the highway, or rather were stuck in traffic on the highway, and we were just talking how the cheap Japanese cars in the 90ies did not look or feel cheap. If you look any of these, or even if you took a plain 5th gen Civic which used to cost $12k in basic config, they looked far better than todays Fit, Aveo, Yuris, and Vespa (or whatever that Nissan is called), which just scream cheap.
Old 05-31-09, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,362 Posts

i'd take the newest car you can afford. anything REALLY old (like a 91 car) is likely to give problems just from old age / things falling apart, not to mention it's likely to have no safety equipment.
Old 05-31-09, 04:58 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted integra, you will be to tempted to turbo the other three.
Old 05-31-09, 05:01 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i voted supra.

Have u considered other options, like BMW?
Old 05-31-09, 06:23 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I voted integra, you will be to tempted to turbo the other three.
I won't be tempted...I've always wanted to turbocharge my SC and I've never really gotten to that point yet...I really don't want to hassle with it after careful consideration. I would hate to drive something that wasn't compliant with Cali regulations. I would hate to invest all that time and money into something only to have to reverse the process. If I were to turbocharge any car, it would be my SC before anything else...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd take the newest car you can afford. anything REALLY old (like a 91 car) is likely to give problems just from old age / things falling apart, not to mention it's likely to have no safety equipment.
Very good point. I have thought of this and to me, I could afford to up keep an older car if I had to. I work for the dealer and I have enough willing hands and wrenches to help me. I'm willing to invest in an older car depending on what i find. I would love to find a low mileage 97 240sx based on what you suggested.

Originally Posted by P Weezy
i voted supra.

Have u considered other options, like BMW?
The MKIII Supra would probably be the toughest to find in terms of a real clean one.

I just don't see myself driving an older BMW...they're just not for me. I think the only Bimmer I would consider is an E46 M3, and that's something that isn't practical for me right now.

I would like find something with a clean body and no accidents. I can handle a well-maintained higher mileage engine.

Thanks for your input fellas! Keep em coming!
Old 05-31-09, 07:13 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voted Supra I wanted one when they first came out but the insurance was ridiculously high so I passed on it.
Old 05-31-09, 07:23 PM
LexFather

None and hears why. For one most are not close to fuel efficient. Two if they are fuel efficient they are cars you will probably drive sporty/fun/hard, thus killing any MPG savings you thought you were getting. I am a fan of the 4 door intergra and since you have a small coupe with a small trunk, I would suggest the 4 door, especially in GS-R form. That said the image of owning an Integra make me want to puke and the chances of it being stolen are tremendous.

Not sure what old CRX values are but what about that? Or a Corolla GTS hatch? How much are you looking to spend? What about a Mini Cooper or a Scion xB?

Old 05-31-09, 07:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Integra sedan. always had a soft spot for those.
Old 05-31-09, 08:06 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
None and hears why. For one most are not close to fuel efficient. Two if they are fuel efficient they are cars you will probably drive sporty/fun/hard, thus killing any MPG savings you thought you were getting. I am a fan of the 4 door intergra and since you have a small coupe with a small trunk, I would suggest the 4 door, especially in GS-R form. That said the image of owning an Integra make me want to puke and the chances of it being stolen are tremendous.

Not sure what old CRX values are but what about that? Or a Corolla GTS hatch? How much are you looking to spend? What about a Mini Cooper or a Scion xB?
Nice thought...however, I hardly drive spirited...I've never owned a vehicle with over 250HP...LoL. I'm real gentle on the driving, trust me. I've been driving for well over 12 years without a single infraction *knocks on wood*. I would probably benefit most with the MR2 or 240...realistically.

I like the CRX's, but I've driven one and it's not what I'm looking for...same goes to a Civic Hatch. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $3,500-$5,000. I honestly don't like the Mini or the Scion...I'm hard to please

The 4-door Integra would be nice, but you do make a valid point. Thieves target these cars like if there were no tomorrow. I'm afraid of getting into an Integra because it may feel like I'm still driving my Civic...LoL
I've always been a Toyota fan to be quite honest. I got that Civic for free a year ago. I'm just spoiled that I have a car just for commuting to and from work. I've just grown a little tired of it over the past few weeks knowing that my brother would benefit from this car more than I have.

Thanks for your suggestions though 1Sick...your words are always valuable.
Old 05-31-09, 08:11 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote integra...
I owned a 1996 LS 5spd and i loved it...had it for a few years and ran it to 212k when someone rear ended it and toatled it...id still have it if the accident didnt happen...i did my regular maintenence at the local acura dealer and it ran like a top with no major issues other than the failed power locks.
theyre good cars!

just dont get the supra. those mark III's are full of issues, and most of the parts are long discontinued.
Old 05-31-09, 08:54 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

240sx all the way, try to find a LE, IMPOSSIBLE, couldn't find a LE when it was new. Did you know LE has climate control. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had 1998 240sx SE white on black back in the day, very SOLID car, but very slow. We miss this car, i would like to have it as a beater myself. Integra is too common, Supra looks way TOO OLD, and MR2 is too small IMO. 240sx all the way, try to find 97+ SE w/ leather, and post pictures. I can't find a single one on eBay... I think this car looks similar to the SC in a way..
Old 05-31-09, 09:12 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

this car needs more consideration...
Attached Thumbnails Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)-silvia04.jpg   Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)-104_4652.jpg  
Old 05-31-09, 09:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

240SX, but gas mileage isn't that good, I have had 4 of them.

I love MR2 and probably will get one for the hell of it.

No Integra, I had a GSR with B18C5 swap, full setup, isn't that exciting.
Old 05-31-09, 09:43 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

true that, gas mileage isn't all that... I prefer Honda Prelude over Interga for it's size.

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-01-09 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for another "Beater" - I would like your input please (Poll Inside)