Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Z4: Let's Burn A Hole in My Pocket!

Old 06-18-09, 11:18 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Am I of only a few people who prefer this over any model Z4?
i love this car. give it a drop and some aggressive mesh wheels...heaven.
Old 06-18-09, 11:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd take S2000 over this any time.
Old 06-18-09, 01:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Ehhhh... SLK/Z4 both German cars.... unreliable and expensive maintenance. If Lexus revised the SC w/ the IS-F powertrain and keep it strictly as a roadster, I'm sure my wife would gladly get rid of her SLK for one of them.
For some reason, when people think of high performance luxury convertible coupe, they dont think of Lexus.
Old 07-09-09, 02:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat in a new Z4 at my dealer yesterday. Didn't drive it since I have no intention of buying one. The one I sat in was loaded up to the hilt as far as I could tell... had a sticker in the very low 60s.

I only spent about a minute in it but I found the interior to look less appealing in person than it looked in the pictures and the feel of it was fairly cheap. I suppose no cheaper than my 335i's interior, but still, when I looked at the pictures of this car it looked like it was going to have a nicer interior than my car, which was good since my 335i's interior has always been a sore spot for me... not very nice for the $$ the car costs, IMO.

I also found the interior of it to fit me and felt much more similar to the Audi TT than I expected it to. In pictures it looked bigger. Heck maybe it IS bigger, but it just didn't feel like it. I still felt a bit claustrophobic, though I'm sure putting the top down would have solved that.

Last edited by Threxx; 07-09-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 02:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

That's disappointing to hear. I'll be visiting random dealers as my brother is shopping for a new car and I'll see if I can stop in to take a look myself. Have you looked in a last gen Z4 before? I was wondering if was cheapened from then to now.
Old 07-09-09, 02:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's disappointing to hear. I'll be visiting random dealers as my brother is shopping for a new car and I'll see if I can stop in to take a look myself. Have you looked in a last gen Z4 before? I was wondering if was cheapened from then to now.
I guess I should specify there. The new Z4 is definitely nicer inside than the last Z4, and roomier too. The difference just isn't quite what I was hoping for based on the pics. I guess based on the pics I thought the Z4 was going to go from unacceptable (my opinion of the recently discontinued generation) to 'grade A'... but instead of went from unacceptable to 'passable depending on what you are expecting for 50-60 grand. Since I tend to focus on interiors more than most people shopping for a roadster, it just wouldn't work for me.
Old 07-09-09, 03:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I would have to agree somewhat with you. I was at the BMW dealership a few weeks ago as well. They had one with the all white leather interior and a blue exterior. Price was about 60K. To my understanding the optional white leather also adds leather on the dashboard. I thought the use of the leather looked good and classy, but IMO the overall design was not appealing in anyway for the price they were asking.

Maybe the one you saw had the basic leather interior?
Old 07-09-09, 04:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

whys it so damn expensive
Old 07-18-09, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

well, the car's styling may be and the price may be but damn this is a fantastic marketing web site i found out about through the also EXCELLENT tv commercial:

http://www.expressionofjoy.com

(you can see the commercial by clicking the play icon once it's loaded up)
Old 07-18-09, 03:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
whys it so damn expensive
Low production numbers, high cost to produce and market, and little demand = high cost.

High production numbers, relatively inexpensive to produce, and huge demand = Camry.
Old 07-18-09, 08:35 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, the car's styling may be and the price may be but damn this is a fantastic marketing web site i found out about through the also EXCELLENT tv commercial:

http://www.expressionofjoy.com

(you can see the commercial by clicking the play icon once it's loaded up)
Anyone else think that just a bunch of color lines? I mean are we that retarded these day to call that art?
Old 07-18-09, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think that advertisment is kind of lame and its a poor attempt at calling anything BMW " art". The art of rip off
Old 07-18-09, 11:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
Anyone else think that just a bunch of color lines? I mean are we that retarded these day to call that art?
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think that advertisment is kind of lame and its a poor attempt at calling anything BMW " art". The art of rip off
i didn't enjoy the web site for the 'art work' itself, but more for the camera work, driving, music, and overall design of the web site.