Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mini Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Mini Clubman

By non-CL request, a Review of the 2009 Mini Clubman.

http://www.miniusa.com/#

In a Nutshell: Noisy and quirky, but good space efficiency, and more comfortable than I expected.

I'm still waiting for the CL-requested reviews of 2010-model vehicles to get into local D.C.-area dealerships so I can have access to them (the 2010 Prius should be a few weeks now, the Lexus RX450H not till July, and the Camaro RS/SS models are coming in now but all pre-sold and not available for test-drives). So, in the meantime, my brother expressed some interest in the new Mini Cooper Clubman (enough interest for a review), so, for him, and for anyone else interested in it, I decided to look at it and share my findings with all of you guys.

In 1959, Alec Issigonis, a Greek-born auto designer who came to England, working in conjunction with the British Austin Motor company, introduced one of the most radical (for its time), far-reaching cars in history, though there is some question as to just how much of it was his idea and how much was that of his staff. The tiny, Munchkin-sized Mini, with its box-square styling and transversely-mounted, in-line engine with front-wheel-drive for maximum space efficiency and traction, was clearly 20-25 years ahead of its time. It eventually, by the 1970's and 80s, revolutionized the design of a majority of the world's vehicles, which adopted the basic transverse-engine design. The design so impressed the powers-that-be in England that Issigonis was knighted by Queen Elizabeth....hence the title Sir Alec Issigonis.

Americans, however, used to the 19-foot long, shark-finned, chrome-laden, 350 HP dinosaurs of the period, laughed at the Mini (though Americans were starting to buy the competing VW Beetle in increasing numbers). And, indeed, compared to a Cadillac or Lincoln of the period, the Mini was ridiculously small, and could probably fit into a 1959 Cadillac or Lincoln trunk. Of course, the Mini had the notoriously poor Lucas electrical system that was the bane of most British-designed cars of the period, and that certainly didn't help endear the car to many Americans either, though the open-top British two-seat roadsters did find somewhat of a market here back then. But, in Europe, the Mini's popularity took off like free beer at an Irish pub. The Cooper firm, who did Formula 1 racers, tweaked some Minis, and the first Mini-Coopers were born.

The rest, of course, is history. I won't go into all of the cars and SUVs that the original Mini design influenced...that is well-known by now. But, by 2000, the rights to the Mini design had been bought up by the German BMW company (though the car was, and is, still manufactured in Britain), and their marketers decided that now was the time to try and sell it in America. The first modern, state-of-the-art Minis arrived here about a year or two later and became an instant success....waiting lines at dealerships and price mark-ups became commonplace. In fact, BMW probably could have sold a lot more of them here than they did, had the Mini dealership network been a little more widespread (only certain BMW dealerships were given Mini franchises). In my area, for instance, one of the best new-car markets in the country, there are only 2 certified Mini dealers within 50 miles of my house, and it takes a little effort to get to either of them.

The new Mini-Coopers were first marketed in one body style, a three-door hatchback, and in base and supercharged S-Models. The John Works company, a noted tuner, soon added especially-tweaked models that carried a full dealer/factory BMW warranty. A convertible model was added, with an unusual feature that allowed the covertible top to be partially-opened and simulate an open sunroof. Then, a redesign was done a few years ago that slightly enlarged the car, exchanged supercharging for turbocharging, changed the hood-opening, and added the lengthened, utilitarian, Clubman body style that could haul more inside. But the same cute Mini syling that turned so many heads was still kept...BMW marketers decided not to mess with success.

Unlike the trouble-plauged Minis of 40-50 years ago with the typically poor British build quality, the 21st-century Minis have been quite a bit more reliable for day-to-day driving. But, according to Consumer Reports, the reliability record of the newer models has been inconsistant, and varies by year and component from better-than-average to worse-than-average, so buying a new one is still at least a litte bit of a gamble. But the old days of the Lucas components in Minis constantly shorting out and even burning up are, of course, just that....long gone.

Today, several trim lines of Minis are offered, in base, Cooper S, and John Works versions. There are 3-door hardtops/hatchbacks, 3-door convertibles, and Clubmans. Three engines are offered, a base, normally-aspirated 1.6L four a 118 HP, a turbocharged, 172 HP version of the same engine in the Cooper S models, and a High-Output, turbocharged, John Works version with 211 HP. Two transmissions are offered, a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed Steptronic automatic with shift paddles and manual Sport-Shirt lever. A amazing number of dealer-approved trim and accessory parts are offered, such as American or British-flag roofs, mirrors, checkered-flag racing patterns, etc... (see the web site for details). Roofs are available in a number of colors and patterns for a custom effect, and you can practically order a Mini to your own completely original tastes. And if the dealerships themselves don't offer enough, there is a huge, cultish, aftermarket-accessory choice as well.

I disagree with the way the American auto press has handled the new Minis. They have generally painted the car, especially in convertible and bright-colored versions, as "girlie" or "feminine" cars; more or less the same way they stereotype VW Beetles and Cabrios. This, IMO, is grossly inaccurate, and is a good example, among many, of why I never joined the auto press myself. There is no reason whatsoever; absolutely none, why a male can't enjoy top-down driving fun in a Mini (or Beetle) convertible on a nice day, or in any other Mini model, such as the Clubman I drove today. And, IMO, it would certainly be tough to paint a John Works model, with its high power-to-weight ratio and performance-oriented chassis, as a car for wimps.

And, though John Works models start at 28K, they can get expensive with customization and accessories. One in the showroom today had a $45K marked on the window, though the dealer was discounting it down in the upper 30s.(I don't know anyone that would pay $45,000 for a Mini, and certainly wouldn't recommend it).

So, enough of the car's history....on with the review, At my brother's request, I chose a bright red, base-model Clubman with a silver roof/rear end for today's review. It listed for a reasonable $25,000, and would have been less without several big options, such as the Steptronic transmission (which it had). It had a black leather (or maybe Leatherette?) interior, and several multi-colored interior factory trim parts (see the option list below). An interesting but quirky car, to say the least, with a number of good and bad points......read on.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Mini Clubman

Base Price: $20,200

Options:

Cold Weather Package: $500

Premium Package: $1250

Anthracite Headliner: $250

Steptronic Transmission: $1250

Colorline Rooster Red: $250

Piano Black Interior Surface: $250

Folding Center Armrest: $250

Rear Fog Lamp: $100

Fog Lights: $250

Destination/Freight: $650

List Price as Reviewed: $25,200

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted, 1.6L in-line 4, 118 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 114 Ft-lbs. @ 4250 RPM, 6-speed Steptronic automatic with Sport-Shift lever and paddles.

EPA Mileage Rating: 25 City, 34 Highway.

Exterior Color: Chili Red with Silver Roof/Rear Trim

Interior: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Enormous number of dealer and aftermarket trim patterns/accessories.

Ultra-cute styling turns heads.

Full BMW 4/50 warranty, with 12 year rust/corrosion.

3-Year no-cost recommended maintenance.

Reasonably good ride comfort (better than expected).

Darty-quick steering, even with base-level wheels/tires.

Relatively short turning radius.

Excellent brakes (bordering on superlative) and brake pedal feel.

well-designed lower-body cladding protects from road debris.

Hood now conventional front-opening design.

Nice hood struts.

Fairly good (but tight) underhood layout.

Nice paint job; better than some more expensive BMW products.

Nice paint color choice.

Fairly good-quality exterior trim.

Superb steering-wheel design.

Dual analog/digital speedometers.

Good air-conditioning system with fairly quick cool-down.

Good interior space efficiency.

OK headroom for tall people up front.

Small, right-hand, rear half-door aids rear-seat access.

Fairly good outward/rear visibility from square, boxy body design.

Fairly nice seat leather.

Soft, comfortable seat padding.

Side-sun visors help with side-glare.

Large but quirky tachometer generally easy to read.

Plush, well-finished cargo area.

MINUSES:

Unfairly and inaccurately tagged in the auto press with a "feminine" image.

Inconsistant, up-and-down reliability record hard to predict.

Noisy engine and exhaust.

Adquate but somewhat peaky torque.

Steptronic transmission a little bumpy when cold.

Road noise booms in from rear cargo area.

Brake pedal too close to gas and slightly too high.

More body roll than expected.

Coolant-Temperature warning light difficult to find.

Goofy, absurdly oversized analog speedometer in the middle of the dash.

Quirky, circular-light-bar fuel gauge.

Sport-shift lever upshift/downshift pattern opposite from most cars.

Flat front seat cushions/bolsters give little side support.

Inboard-mounted front seat-rake levers hard to reach with center armrest down.

Rear seat OK for smaller adults, but a little tight for 6-footers.

Quirky door panels can confuse stereo speakers and door handles.

Silver-plastic dash buttons blend into trim and are hard to decipher.

Oval-shaped inside mirror a little small for my tastes.

El-Cheapo sun-visor material.

Fairly loud, clack-clack turn-signal flashers.

Confusing stereo controls at first.

OK, but rather mediocre stereo sound quality by today's standards.

Audio system does not turn off with ignition switch.

Annoying, 2-step ignition module/button.

Strong, but rattly-closing doors.

Awkward-fitting cargo pull-cover assembly.

No underhood insulation pad in base models.

EXTERIOR:

No surprises at all when you first walk up to this car. A Mini is a Mini is a Mini, no matter what version you are looking at. What you see is what you get.....the same puppy-cute styling, big bug-eyed headlights, square body, wheels-to-the-corners chassis, and simple, clean lines. A Mini dealer lot is a veritable rainbow of colors, patterns, hood stripes and two-tones....and, yes, dark/dull funeral-home colors, such as gray and black, are avilable for those who don't want to look like a circus driving down the road. Me, though......I like the bright colors and pastels. And, as befits any proper British car......British Racing green is offered, though it does not seem to be a very popular Mini color.

The paint job itself is very well-done, bordering on excellent. The bright, "Chili", Fire-Engine red on my test car was smooth, glossy, and with virtually no orange peel. A metallic-silver roof (with a manual sunroof) was equally-well painted, with twin silver bands that ran down and flanked the rear cargo doors on either side. A nice, black, lower-body-moulding ran around the entire length of the car and wheelwells to protect the paint from road debris, gravel, salt, etc...I wish all cars had something like that standard. The body sheet metal was solid and well-done, and the hood opened and shut solidly, but the side doors and cargo doors shut with a somewhat loose, rattling sound. The exterior trim seemed solid and well-done, and nice chrome surrounded the headlights and grille. The outside mirrors seemed to have reasonably solid plastic housings, and swiveled/snapped into place smoothly and freely. The mirrors can be dressed up with the British Union Jack flag, if desired, or other graphics. In the rear, there is a rather wide strip of metal that runs down the center of the two doors when they are closed, but that doesn't seem to affect rear vision much....not enough for a complaint, at least.

UNDERHOOD:

Previous Minis had the forward-tilt hood/fenders (Bonnet, in British-speak), hinged in front, that made some access underhood a little awkward. Newer Minis, since the resesign a few years ago, now have a more conventional rear-hinged hood that flips up in front and makes access to most things a little easier. Two nice gas struts hold up the hood for you. Base Minis have no underhood insulation pad (and sorely need one, as this is a noisy engine); upmarket and John Works models have only a small pad that covers the very center part of the underhood surface. The basic underhood layout, due to the small amount of available space underhood, is, naturally, a little on the tight side, but not so tight that some DIY features are unworkable. The 1.6L transversely-mounted four (Sir Issigonis, of course, wouldn't have it any other direction), and Steptronic transmission are fitted in, as I noted, a little on the tight side. But the basic layout is efficient, there is no annoying plastic engine cover to block access to things, and all of the dipsticks, reservoirs, and filler caps seem reasonably easy to reach. There is an oil computer that monitors oil level/change intrvals, but, unlike other BMW products, there seems to be a yellow-marked dipstick as well, at least for U.S.-market models. The rather small battery is back on the left, up against the firewall, under a plastic cover, but the cover, at least, flips up quickly and easily for easy access to the battery terminals. Generally a good job underhood, considering the limited space.

INTERIOR:

The Mini's interior, IMO, is the very definition of automotive quirkiness, though, like the exterior, there are many factory and aftermarket color trim options available. Front and center (literally) in this sea of quirkiness is the absurdly oversized, silver-plastic analog speedometer in the center of the dash, and the smaller, matching, and slightly more sensible-sized tachometer mounted on the steering-column, 1960's style. Inside the lower part of the tachometer, straight ahead, is a trip-computer readout and a small, digital speedometer for drivers who do not want to be constantly shifting their eyes right to the one in the middle of the dash. The steering wheel, in contrast, is superb....a nice, thick rim, comfortable stitching, and a beefy feel (the steering wheel in the John Works version has an even beefier feel). The steering column has manual tilt/telescope features. The silver-painted buttons/controls for the stereo and climate control, in the center of the dash, are oddly-shaped, oddly-marked, mounted in such a way that they appear to be part of the plastic silver dash trim, and, in general, take some time to get used to. The air-conditioning did a good job on this typically warm/humid day in the D.C. area, cooling the interior down quickly and efficiently (and the car had been sitting in the sun before I drove it). I was not particularly impressed with the stereo sound quality.....not bad, but mediocre at best; certainly not worthy of a great Heavy Metal group like Judas Priest or Quiet Riot. The stereo on/off button, like in older VWs, is not wired with the ignition switch, so you have to remember to turn it off by hand when you shut the engine off, or risk running the battery down and having to use BMW's Roadside Assistance program for a tow or battery charge. The fuel gauge is an oddly-shaped arc of widely-spaced light-bars. I couldn't find either a coolant-temperature gauge or even a warning light for temperature (but I'm not necessarily saying a light wasn't there). The steering-column stalks, unlike those in many German-designed cars, feel solid and substantial. The trip computer is operated by the left stalk.

The black/gark gray leather front seats (which actually felt like a nice grade of Leatherette) were generally soft and comfortable in the padding, but the low side bolsters and generally flat-shaped cushions didn't give much side support in cornering. The manual lever-controls were generally handy and easy to operate, except for the inboard-mounted rake-adjustment levers, which are more or less hidden under the optional center armrest....you have to raise the armrest to reach them easily. The quirky-looking door panels had nice padded armrest but their design, with swoopy oval-plastic trim bars and a number of small circles, tended to confuse the radio speakers and similiarly-shaped door handles. Up overhead, there is good headroom for tall people if you get the seat adjusted far down; legroom was similiarly OK. There are separate swing-out sun visors for both the windshield and front side-windows. The one for the driver's side of the windshield has a covered vanity mirror (I forgot to check the passenger's one), but all of them have an ultra-cheap, stucco-like material that would be an embarassment to an $8000, Chinese-built econobox. In back, the squared-off roof gives OK headroom, but not as good as in front, due to the nonadjustable seats. Legroom, in back, is naturally a little tight for tall persons, although the Clubman's slight extra length over regular Minis and the forward-opening rear half-door helps entry/exit and seating room a little. All in all, though, considering the Mini's rather diminutive size (even the extended Clubman model is quite a small car), it is very space-efficient inside, a direct result of the efficient powertrain packaging up front (which, don't forget, was invented by the original Mini in 1959) and the car's boxy design. That boxy design and large, well-shaped window glass also allows very good visibility out the rear, even with the double cargo-doors.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

In the Clubman model, two utility-van style, side-opening rear doors with windows take the place of more conventional trunk (Boot, in British-speak) lid or flip-up hatch-gate. Each door has its own separate pull-handle, and you don't have to open either one first, like you have to with the small rear side-door. The two doors, when unlatched, are pulled wide open with a gas strut on either side; very little effort is needed.

The rear cargo area itself (longer, of course, in the Clubman model than in other Minis) is surprisingly plush for a vehicle in this size/price class (20-25K). Nice black carpeting, rather thin but with a plush feel, covers not only the floor but both side walls as well. The rear seats, of course, easily fold down flat for extended cargo space, and don't need remote-levers because of the car's small size. The boxy, square design of the rear end, of course, means good space efficiency for carrying things, although tall people like me still have to bend down some to reach inside. Under the floor panel, there is a foam-shaped jack tray with tools, and, below that, the compact temporary spare tire.....OK in a car of this price class. A significant goof, IMO, is the way that the cargo-cover assembly is designed. It folds over, in sections, rather then in pulling out, window-shade style, and the way the front tabs are designed, it can be awkward and difficult to fit in and out of the spring-loaded mounting holes in the walls. Even the salespeople had some trouble doing it right.

ON THE ROAD:

I'm not a fan of BMW's two-stage ignition process where (unless you buy the Comfort Access option) you have to use both a push-button AND and key-fob-in-dash to start the engine. They use the same system in the new Mini. The rather coarse 1.6L four settles into a somewhat noisy idle, and the dual-exhaust pipes make themselves known. On the road, engine/exhaust noise multiplies (too much for my tastes)....partly a result of the lack of an underhood pad that I mentoned above and skimpy insulation underneath. Power is OK for everyday driving, but this is clearly not a Friday-night drag racer. The 114 ft-lbs of torque, while adequate, is a little on the peaky side.....you don't feel much thrust until about 3500 RPM or so (torque peak is at 4500).

The 6-speed Steptronic transmission is a little bumpy-shifting when cold, but, warmed up, smooths out nicely. The 6 gears, unusual for an automatic in a car of this class, are well-spaced and give broad coverage.....they help mitigate some of the engine noise. The shifter is well-constucted, slick-operating, and comfortable, but its (+)/(-) manual-shift gate, like other BMW products and Mazdas, runs contrary to that of most cars.....you bump the lever forward for downshifts and back for upshifts. You have to remember that if you are used to driving other brands; if you don't, you can give the drivetrain a healthy shock and (maybe) red-line the engine as far as the transmission computer allows. Fortunately, I'm careful about that.

The ride comfort, with the standard 15-inch wheels/tires, was a rather pleasant surprise. It was definitely more comfortable than I expected from such a small, light (2700-2800 lbs), short-wheelbase car. On smooth pavement, it was nice by small-car standards, and, even on small, sharp bumps, the impact-harshness level transmitted into the cabin was less than I was expecting. The downside, of course, to the comfortable chassis, was somewhat more body roll on sharp steering inputs than I expected, although this Clubman generally lived up to the Mini reputation of darty-quick, Go-Kart-like steering. Steering response was very quick, and accompanied by noticeable but not severe body roll. Despite the quick steering, you can tell you are not in a John Works version that will tear up the rally courses. And the turning radius for parking and manuvering in close quarters was impressively short.

Noise control, though, leaves a bit to be desired. I've already mentioned the booming engine/exhaust noise. A fair amount of road noise from the rear tires, regardless of the type of road surface, also makes its way into the open rear cargo area and cabin, again, probably from minimal insulation in the wheel wells. Wind noise, though, was not bad, at least at regular crusing speeds.

The brakes, like on big-brother BMWs, were superb. The pedal feel and feedback was excellent, with no sponginess; response was smooth, progressive, and linear, and you stopped QUICK, especially at low speeds. My only complaint with the brake system (a common one, if you follow my reviews) is that the pedal was a little too high and too close to the gas pedal, allowing my big size-15 clown-shoes to sometimes momentarily catch the bottom if it when shifting my foot from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

While I greatly respect the Mini's excellent space efficiency, brakes, seat comfort, packaging, and generally well-done chassis, this car is simply too quirky (and noisy) for my tastes, especially on the dash, controls and door panels. I don't want to get into stereotypes (remember my comments about the auto press above), but the current-genenration Mini, in all of its forms, seems to be deliberately designed for younger people (male and female) who want to look "cool" and drive something their parents or grandparents wouldn't want. And with that, it delivers in spades. The Clubman model, of course, combines a lot of this "coolness" with the ability to seat people in back and carry things a little more efficiently. and the 25/34 EPA mileage figures are nothing to sneeze at, either. Careful driving on the highway will probably get you even better mileage then that...in the mid-high 30s. The 6-speed manual transmission will do about 2-3 MPG better, and probably give better pick-up as well.

The John Works versions, though reasonably-priced with minimal options, can get very pricey for a car this size, though, when loaded. I'm not sure that they are worth what they cost, even though some Mini shops will bargain on them. They are essentially road-rally machines, like the Subaru STi and Mitsubishi Evo, which offer driver-controlled AWD systems and more power, for the same or less money as loaded John Works Minis.

But the fact that the Mini has soldiered on for 50 years now (and almost 9 in America) shows that it is pleasing a lot of folks. Sir Issigonis, if he could come back from the grave, would no doubt be proud what the car has accomplished by paving the way for a whole new system of designing cars.......a practice that lives on to this day, and shows every sign of lasting well into the future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 08:36 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven my friends Cooper S numerous times in Colorado up and down moutain roads and I LOVED that car. Plenty of oomph, great cornering, and good looks!

Last edited by FireCode; 05-16-09 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-09, 10:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pirate400
I have driven my friends Cooper S numerous times in Colorado up and down moutain roads and I LOVED that car. Plenty of oomph, great cornerin, and good looks!
Short-wheelbase S models are more suited for that kind of driving than a base Clubman.
Old 05-16-09, 01:59 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Mike, I wonder if you can add the 2010 MB E-Class to your list as well.
Old 05-16-09, 03:11 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw one upclose today, I have to say I like the regular Mini much better.
Old 05-16-09, 03:50 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up - I had a first generation MINI Cooper and my mother has the latest one with the auto transmission (takes away a lot of the fun of MINI driving IMO). Great little cars and hold their value well. The Clubman version has started to grow on me now I'm seeing a few on the roads.
Although the petrol (gas) cap doesn't lock, the body coloured flap covering it does when the car is locked, so fuel can't be siphoned out.
Old 05-16-09, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Thanks for the review Mike, I wonder if you can add the 2010 MB E-Class to your list as well.

Yes....it's on the list. I just got a request for a 2010 E550 last night.
Old 05-16-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Just saw one upclose today, I have to say I like the regular Mini much better.
If you are sport-oriented, you probably WILL like the regular Minis more. The Clubman, of course, is a more utilitarian version, but, it, too, comes in the turbo S form.

I did the non-turbo Clubman review primarily at my brother's request. He is not a sport-oriented driver, and generally likes efficiency and versatility in his vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-09 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Nice write up
Thanks.

- I had a first generation MINI Cooper and my mother has the latest one with the auto transmission (takes away a lot of the fun of MINI driving IMO). Great little cars and hold their value well. The Clubman version has started to grow on me now I'm seeing a few on the roads.
The Clubman "grew" on all Mini owners......a couple of inches in the middle, the rear half-door, and the two double-doors in the back.

I agree the manual transmission is probably more fun in light-traffic areas and open roads without stoplights and stop signs, but they are, for the most part, impractical in this area (D.C. Metro) We have the second-worst traffic congestion in the United states (and the country's second-largest new-car market), both right behind Southern California.

The Steptronic, however, is manually-shiftable, both with the lever and steering-column paddles.

Although the petrol (gas) cap doesn't lock, the body coloured flap covering it does when the car is locked, so fuel can't be siphoned out.
Thank You. I sometimes forget about that with European-designed cars. I'll edit the review and make the necessary corrections.
Old 05-16-09, 07:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its definitely got the "cool" factor. And if you need to park on city streets, its hard to beat (sorry but no SmartForTwo for me), but for my $$ I'd go with a GTI.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-16-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Its definitely got the "cool" factor. And if you need to park on city streets, its hard to beat (soret' but no SmartForTwo for me), but for my $$ I'd go with a GTI.
Unless you need to park or manuver in a motorcycle-sized space, the Smart, IMO, is a waste of money (Yes, I've reviewed it). It uses premium gas, only has a 2/24 warranty even on the drivetrain, rocks back and forth like a bronco when the transmission upshifts, has Roly-Poly handling from its narrowness and very high center of gravity, and, despite the steel-reinforced roll cage around the cabin, is NOT a car to be in for any kind of real accident. In addition, there is a long waiting list for them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 02:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the review Mike.

A close friend got one about six months ago; she's only 4'9", and finds the Mini Clubman to be a perfect car for her. She wanted to extra room of the Clubman over the regular Mini for rear passenger comfort, cargo space, and a little more safety & visibility on the road.

At the time (and maybe still so), you can only special order the car with a four month wait; and that's what she did. It was (and maybe still so) difficult to find one on a dealer's lot that will fit the bill, considering that the car usually is not in base form, with plenty of expensive (and sometimes unnecessary/unwanted) options that drive the cost of the car near $30k. She special ordered her auto-tranny Clubman with minimal basic and cosmetic options, and still drove the price up to $27k.

As much as the Mini Clubman addresses the lack of space compared to the regular Mini Cooper, I don't think it does any better than other cars out there that provides similar or better space efficiency, gas efficiency, and (most importantly in this economy) cost efficiency. I personally don't think that the Clubman can provide a better overall package compared to other wagons such as the Scion xB, Mazda3 5-door, or Subaru Impreza 5-door. Yes, it can be sportier and have more personality, but at the end of the day, the premium price jump cannot be ignored.

No matter what, I think the Mini will do well because of its iconic status and customer loyalty. And although the price tags are a bit high, low supplies and high demand continue to help with its resale value and business viability.
Old 05-16-09, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks for the review Mike.
Sure. Anytime.

A close friend got one about six months ago; she's only 4'9", and finds the Mini Clubman to be a perfect car for her. She wanted to extra room of the Clubman over the regular Mini for rear passenger comfort, cargo space, and a little more safety & visibility on the road.

At the time (and maybe still so), you can only special order the car with a four month wait; and that's what she did. It was (and maybe still so) difficult to find one on a dealer's lot that will fit the bill, considering that the car usually is not in base form, with plenty of expensive (and sometimes unnecessary/unwanted) options that drive the cost of the car near $30k. She special ordered her auto-tranny Clubman with minimal basic and cosmetic options, and still drove the price up to $27k.
The one I drove yesterday wasn't too heavily loaded, though it did have the Steptronic and Premium packages, which together added $2500, and some minor trim options that added some more. But it didn't have any of the wild graphics on it, and it was sitting right there on the lot, for sale, ready to go.....at 25K list, before bargaining.

As much as the Mini Clubman addresses the lack of space compared to the regular Mini Cooper, I don't think it does any better than other cars out there that provides similar or better space efficiency, gas efficiency, and (most importantly in this economy) cost efficiency. I personally don't think that the Clubman can provide a better overall package compared to other wagons such as the Scion xB, Mazda3 5-door, or Subaru Impreza 5-door. Yes, it can be sportier and have more personality, but at the end of the day, the premium price jump cannot be ignored.

No matter what, I think the Mini will do well because of its iconic status and customer loyalty. And although the price tags are a bit high, low supplies and high demand continue to help with its resale value and business viability.
The Scoin xB, both old and new versions, is considerably taller than the Mini....and the new one is wider as well. The xB is space-efficient, yes, (so are the similiar Kia Soul and Nissan Cube), but the Mini gives a more compact exterior size than anything else currently available in the American market, except for the Smart-for Two.

As I see it, you can't directly compare the Clubman with the Impreza and Mazda3. The Impreza is designed for AWD efficiency (which it excels in), not necessarily interior space, and the Mazda3 stresses sportiness over efficiency.

The Mini has, as you note, also become a cult (or at least cult-ISH) car (that's the one thing about its stereotype that is generally true). That, of course, affects how it is marketed and priced.....and I agree with your views on that.
Old 05-17-09, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of my neighbors, BTW (not someone I know very closely or asked for my help in shopping), just came home with a new Mini herself.....a Chili-Red S model with a black roof. Still, there goes another bottle of SCRATCH-OUT....a new car deserves one.
Old 05-18-09, 08:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review Marshall. Gotta love the individual program that BMW has in place for the Mini. Mini is correct in that no two Minis are the same. I would love to have the John CooperWorks version in red with black stripes & British flag roof.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Mini Clubman