Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anti-Foreign Car Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 06:12 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Anti-Foreign Car Commercial

A video by Avalon Films wants you to believe Asian-fever’s a bad thing. Something to be ashamed of. What’s worse is that your kids are hooked too. And it’s your fault.

What’s up with the video you ask? Well, Avalon Films is a commercial production company that used to get it on with Chrysler, Ford and GM. Problem is, the big-threes dont put out anymore. People aint buying cars and the stimulus pill bill aint working.

The solution? Bash the Asians. Because if you can’t join them and make cars people want… beat them. Beat them hard.
Old 05-05-09, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You know how it is, when times get tough, you have to play dirty. Shame on the American car companies for punching below the belt, they should be concentrating their efford on building a decent car instead.
Old 05-05-09, 08:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lee Iacocca is back! Buy American*!!

*Assembled in Mexico, Canada or somewhere much, much cheaper than USA!
Old 05-05-09, 08:05 AM
LexFather

Well confuse the crap outta them and buy an Acura TL or MDX or RDX, a BMW Z4 or X5, X6, or a Benz ML or a Sonata, Camry, Accord, etc etc etc

Cause they are all built for Americans, by Americans in America.

Old 05-05-09, 10:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for buying American if and when you can find something American that meets your needs. But that commercial was just stupid.
Old 05-05-09, 11:02 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

garbage like this will make me never ever want to till the day I die buy an American car.
Old 05-05-09, 11:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would like to buy American if I can find something as good as the foreign competition. I think GM is the one who should put on their rally cap and design and built something that we can justify buying over the competition.
Old 05-05-09, 11:35 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never bought an American car and I'll never buy an American car period...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-05-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 11:37 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the 1980's original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo

Because import cars are like drugs. Hold on, I need another hit...
Old 05-05-09, 11:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
*Assembled in Mexico, Canada or somewhere much, much cheaper than USA!
or assembled in the US with Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, Indian, German and French components. Harleys are 1/2 Honda, the only thing that is Harley on those is the frame and engine castings.

A new "American" car sounds like a rolling Vegas buffet.
Old 05-05-09, 11:43 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That's it! I'm selling my GS and getting a Ford Taurus now
Old 05-05-09, 11:47 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well confuse the crap outta them and buy an Acura TL or MDX or RDX, a BMW Z4 or X5, X6, or a Benz ML or a Sonata, Camry, Accord, etc etc etc

Cause they are all built for Americans, by Americans in America.
Exactly, the way Toyota outsources labor has a much more different philosophy than the way American company's outsource. Toyota builds plants in the U.S., hires U.S. workers to build cars that are sold right here in the U.S.

Whereas U.S. companies go into China, India, Philippines or any third world country and builds plants I'm sure of low quality pays workers 2 cents an hour to make products for the U.S. That's why many foreigners don't like American companies because they only look out for number one...
Old 05-05-09, 11:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got to say that while this commercial is stupid, what makes me even more sick are the ignorant people out there that take so much pride in not owning an American branded car.

OK sure if you give American cars an honest unbiased look and decide they don't make anything you like, then that's fair. I also understand if you've bought a couple American cars in the past and had horrible luck with them... you'd hold a grudge.

But there are a lot of people, especially on this board, who live here in the US and flat out brag about how they never have and never will own any car made by a domestic company. That's just flat out ignorant and unpatriotic IMO. You don't even deserve to call yourself a car enthusiast. That'd be like a food critic proudly exclaiming they've never eaten any American cuisine and never will, for no reason other than they've heard bad things about it in the past, or it's just not trendy/cool enough among their peers.
Old 05-05-09, 12:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think so Threxx. I think most on here just appreciate a better car.

I see from your signature that you like sleeping with the enemy too.
Old 05-05-09, 12:05 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've got to say that while this commercial is stupid, what makes me even more sick are the ignorant people out there that take so much pride in not owning an American branded car.

OK sure if you give American cars an honest unbiased look and decide they don't make anything you like, then that's fair. I also understand if you've bought a couple American cars in the past and had horrible luck with them... you'd hold a grudge.

But there are a lot of people, especially on this board, who live here in the US and flat out brag about how they never have and never will own any car made by a domestic company. That's just flat out ignorant and unpatriotic IMO. You don't even deserve to call yourself a car enthusiast. That'd be like a food critic proudly exclaiming they've never eaten any American cuisine and never will, for no reason other than they've heard bad things about it in the past, or it's just not trendy/cool enough among their peers.
What's even more patriotic is the right to choose and we have the free will to purchase what ever we want with our hard earned money. Be the example of a patriotic person and go buy an American car so you can put it in your gargage...

Quick Reply: Anti-Foreign Car Commercial