Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anti-Foreign Car Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 12:09 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
OK sure if you give American cars an honest unbiased look and decide they don't make anything you like, then that's fair. I also understand if you've bought a couple American cars in the past and had horrible luck with them... you'd hold a grudge.
I don't think that's called holding a grudge. Those people who bought a couple of American cars in the past and had horrible luck with them learned from their mistakes of buying American and won't do it again. Nothing wrong from learning from mistakes...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-05-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 12:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I already said... there's nothing wrong with, after consideration of your options, choosing to buy a foreign car. My signature is a fine example of that (though know of the 10 or so cars I've owned in my life, 3 have been domestic, so I am an equal opportunity buyer).

The people that annoy me are the people that wold continue to stick their nose in the air no matter how superior of a car a domestic company produced was... Toyota and Honda could start having serious reliability problems and GM and Ford could be producing home runs and there are many people on this board that would continue to be proud of refusing to buy anything made in America.

There's a difference between having a preference and being stubbornly ignorant.
Old 05-05-09, 12:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That vid was a waste of my time.
Old 05-05-09, 12:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
Like I already said... there's nothing wrong with, after consideration of your options, choosing to buy a foreign car. My signature is a fine example of that (though know of the 10 or so cars I've owned in my life, 3 have been domestic, so I am an equal opportunity buyer).

The people that annoy me are the people that wold continue to stick their nose in the air no matter how superior of a car a domestic company produced was... Toyota and Honda could start having serious reliability problems and GM and Ford could be producing home runs and there are many people on this board that would continue to be proud of refusing to buy anything made in America.

There's a difference between having a preference and being stubbornly ignorant.

People on this board? How about people in general? That would be a better statement. There are some Americans who will never buy American, doesn't matter what forum they are a part of.

I agree its sad to hear but its the American companies who need to win these people over. That is the job of their business. For whatever reason(s) there are a lot of people who will not consider owning an American brand.

GM/Chrsyler/Ford should see that as a great challenge. American companies winning over Americans.

What a novel idea.

On the flipside there are Americans who will NEVER buy an import for whatever reason. The funniest ones are those that swear only buy American but their car is produced outside our borders.

Old 05-05-09, 12:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People on this board? How about people in general? That would be a better statement.
That would be an accurate statement but so is saying people on this board. Since this is a Lexus board it's certainly understandable, but regardless the percentage of people here that fit that description is dramatically higher than the US in general.

I agree its sad to hear but its the American companies who need to win these people over. That is the job of their business. For whatever reason(s) there are a lot of people who will not consider owning an American brand.
Yeah... it's their responsibility to win these people over... that's just how the economy works. However I'm speaking of the people that as a matter of pride will never allow themselves to be won over no matter what is produced by GM or Ford... they never will give those cars an honest look. The only way they can see any domestic car is wearing shades of bias. In other words they could see the exact same car wearing a Toyota badge and suddenly love it, and be willing to forgive all of its shortcomings and inequities.

GM/Chrsyler/Ford should see that as a great challenge. American companies winning over Americans.
They're currently giving it a damn good effort (well, at least GM and Ford are). Unfortunately their past poor (and deserved!) reputation is hard to overcome. So are the social trends that have swept the nation that make it uncool to own an American car... much like designer clothing is seen as desirable over non designer clothing regardless of the real value presented. It's a trend.

On the flipside there are Americans who will NEVER buy an import for whatever reason. The funniest ones are those that swear only buy American but their car is produced outside our borders.
Yes I agree those people are very annoying... especially the ones who will look down at a guy driving a Camry while they ride around in their Mexican-made half German-owned Dodge Ram.

All I ask for in car enthusiasts in general is an open mind... both domestic and import biased alike. It seems to be something that is very absent in both communities.

I just find the lack of an open mind in the import community particularly sad at the moment while looking at how GM is struggling and some of the killer products they're currently offering.
Old 05-05-09, 12:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some people will never buy a California wine, some would only buy shoes made in Italy, some people will never wear Levis. Thats all brand perception, peeople associate american cars to be low quality cars. GM some how convince the Chinese people that Buick is a high quility luxury car, and Buick does very well over there. I am not saying Buicks are not nice cars, but in the pass, here in the US, some old Buick have had their share of problems. In China, they dont have those memories of those old Buick nightmares. Here in the US, we do, and its up to the American car companies to change our perception of the US automobiles.
Old 05-05-09, 12:56 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL ok that's a funny commercial...not bothered by that at all
Old 05-05-09, 01:06 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most american cars just dont do it for me..
thats why i buy import
Old 05-05-09, 01:20 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Trexus
I've never bought an American car and I'll never buy an American car period...
I guess I'll explain this statement since it annoys Mr. Threxx. My father owned a 1974 Ford Vega and it was a piece of shiet. My cousin owned a Citation and it was even more of a piece of shiet. I have lots of friends and relatives that owned American cars and I observed and learned. My very first car was a 1985 Toyota pick up truck and I took it to over 200,000 miles and I know no American car can do that without any major problems. That is why I haven't bought an American car and probably never will. I will talk about American cars. I will look at American cars. I will even test drive American cars and I can be objective to American cars but I will exercise my freedom to choose which car I will buy with my own hard earned money period...
Old 05-05-09, 01:40 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

As many people have already said, why should I buy an "American" car that isn't even made in America? How is buying a car made in Mexico showing my patriotism? If anything, I think it is unpatriotic because instead of putting money into the pockets of American workers, the money is going into the fat wallets of the executives that ran the company into the ground and at the same time, taking advantage of workers elsewhere.
Old 05-05-09, 02:57 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my money and I buy what I want. Have a problem with that? Move to the Axis-of-evils...
Old 05-05-09, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol i watch this with a good laugh. they can say whatever they want, i just feel sad for them coz.... they are pathetic
Old 05-05-09, 05:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
I guess I'll explain this statement since it annoys Mr. Threxx. My father owned a 1974 Ford Vega and it was a piece of shiet. My cousin owned a Citation and it was even more of a piece of shiet. I have lots of friends and relatives that owned American cars and I observed and learned. My very first car was a 1985 Toyota pick up truck and I took it to over 200,000 miles and I know no American car can do that without any major problems. That is why I haven't bought an American car and probably never will. I will talk about American cars. I will look at American cars. I will even test drive American cars and I can be objective to American cars but I will exercise my freedom to choose which car I will buy with my own hard earned money period...
Really fascinating, I owned a Vega too. But mine was made by Chevy. It was so doggoned confusing having both Ford and Chevy make the Vega.
Old 05-05-09, 06:23 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by RON430
Really fascinating, I owned a Vega too. But mine was made by Chevy. It was so doggoned confusing having both Ford and Chevy make the Vega.
On second thought, my father's second Amercian car was a Chevy Vega not a Ford Vega and it was blue. My mistake. Here's a picture for old times sake...

Old 05-05-09, 07:57 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't think so Threxx. I think most on here just appreciate a better car.

I see from your signature that you like sleeping with the enemy too.
Yep trade that 335i for a Pontiac g6( i don't hate this car its the only thing i thought of and i dont care if its good or bad).
Threxx My parents made the mistake of buying American name cars, it was pretty pathetic having a transmission replaced 4 times in 2 years in a good ol American car. We dint hold a grudge against that company we just took our business else were.

Last edited by Oleg400; 05-05-09 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Anti-Foreign Car Commercial