Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Loaner Cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 04:52 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner Cars

So this whining brat, whose' name I will not mention, brings his BMW 335i into the the dealership for maintenance. Because he didn't schedule it 2 weeks in advance, the dealership gives him an enterprise loaner car, aka a impala. Being a whining brat, he flips and yadadadada.

Anyways what do you lexus guys do when you go service?I know it varies from dealership to dealership. Does lexus guarantee a lexus loaner car because we pay for maintenance? I heard some dealership will only give you one of "their" loaners if you purchased from their dealership. Is this guy reasonable to be upset for not getting a bimmer loaner? Am i Crazy?

I ask this because I've never required a loaner car in over 15 years. My wife or kids usually drop me off at the dealership, and then I go home and get my other car, also my wife and I work at the same company so I sometimes carpool with her to and from dealership to work. I also find it a hassle to drive a loaner but i understand most people have to.

Last edited by f=ma; 04-28-09 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 05:01 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Hmmm, GM doesnt even offer you a loaner unless your car has to be retained overnight for safety issues, I found this out recently when i had to bring in my GTO for service, I asked the service adsvisor If i had just dropped 70 thou on a new Zo6 i wouldnt get one. His response was nope.
Old 04-28-09, 05:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05EX
Hmmm, GM doesnt even offer you a loaner unless your car has to be retained overnight for safety issues, I found this out recently when i had to bring in my GTO for service, I asked the service adsvisor If i had just dropped 70 thou on a new Zo6 i wouldnt get one. His response was nope.
Would you really want an Aveo as a loaner for your Vette?
Old 04-28-09, 05:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

aveo?

i'll take the best of whatever i can get.

it would be a courtesy since chevy doesn't even have a loaner policy.
Old 04-28-09, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha he whined just coz' he didn't make an appointment early enough and get a rental car? he needs to get a life. shouldn't he make sure before he goes? when i brought my bmw in for service, the advisor clearly told me i need 2 weeks appointment in advance to get a bmw loaner.

from my lexus experience, i have been able to get loaner cars at all different dealerships, not the one i bought the cars from. they vary from IS to ES to GS to RX (even hybrid), some dealerships even have LS loaners. of course availability is always a problem, but usually if you make appointment ahead of time you are good to go
Old 04-28-09, 05:46 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Calling ahead is the way to make sure that a comparable loaner is available. When you just show up on the spot then you get whatever is available. Don't even sweat it. He needs to get a life. I have gotten lexus loaners from dealerships and they do vary by the dealership and availability.
Old 04-28-09, 05:54 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

man people and their sense of entitlement....lol jk
Old 04-28-09, 06:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f=ma
man people and their sense of entitlement....lol jk
Sense of entitlement tends to be created when you pay 2x retail for routine service, lol.

Gourmet coffee is nice too.
Old 04-28-09, 07:01 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

I'd be irritated if I had to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance to get a loaner, and I'd be really irritable if I'd paid for a BMW and got an Impala loaner. You pay extra for luxury cars to get special treatment and service.

Also, my dealership will not provide loaner cars to people who live close by but bought their cars elsewhere. Only according to Lexus warranty requirements, which states the vehicle has to be in service for 8 hours on a covered repair. Why should we provide extra services to people who live two blocks away but drove 20 miles away to buy their car?
Old 04-28-09, 07:34 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loaner cars have "Lexus of XXX Courtesy Car" stickers on the back windshield. That's all it is: a simple courtesy. They're not entitled to give a courtesy car to anyone.

Originally Posted by kalvano
Why should we provide extra services to people who live two blocks away but drove 20 miles away to buy their car?
Few reasons to go to another dealership other than the one close to your home: better deals, the color combo/options on the Lexus you want, knows a family member of friend who is part of the team, friendlier service.
Old 04-28-09, 07:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I've serviced my SC430 in a different dealership from the one I bought from for years, & they always gave me Lexus loaners. This dealer did not exist when I bought the Lexus in fall 2002, but it is so much closer to my home.
Old 04-28-09, 07:56 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Made an appointment 4 days ahead for a 3 hour service with Lexus of Portland, they signed me up for a loaner at that time as they had one available. I enjoyed my IS250 for the day and only had to return it with a full tank of gas. While they don't always have one available I've had RX, ES and IS.
Old 04-28-09, 08:05 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I usually make my appointment a week or two earlier. And I always got a loaner I have driven IS, ES, RX. I think this was a great service to have. Some of the local Benz and BMW dealer does not even offer that.
Old 04-28-09, 08:26 PM
mkesc400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i make all my appointments a week to two weeks in advance and i've never once got a loaner car. oh well..
Old 04-28-09, 08:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i usually make my appointment maybe 1 or 2 days in advance. but my SA knows how to take care of me and always offers a loaner.

The official rule is loaner available if your car needs a second day of work or if its a warranty issue. but they tend to give it to you for regular service too

Last edited by RXSF; 04-28-09 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Loaner Cars