Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to seek another shared Toyota model to replace Vibe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 07:59 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM to seek another shared Toyota model to replace Vibe

Even as it shrinks its North American product portfolio, General Motors is negotiating with Toyota Motor Corp. to determine a new GM product to be jointly produced at the automakers' 50-50 joint venture, New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.

A GM spokesman said that, if successful, the negotiations would result in a new model for one of GM's surviving brands -- Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac.

Earlier today, GM revealed that it will end production of its Pontiac line, including the Vibe crossover.

The Vibe is currently GM's sole yield from the NUMMI partnership -- meaning the Pontiac decision effectively leaves GM without a need for NUMMI as it cuts factory production plans around the country.

But Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said GM is in talks with Toyota and NUMMI itself to determine another vehicle to be produced there.

"We're negotiating to see how best to utilize that facility going forward," Hopson said. "We're clearly not backing away from our partnership at NUMMI. There's no issue of us backing away from NUMMI."

GM and Toyota began building small cars together at the former GM plant in Fremont, Calif., in 1984. Toyota also obtains its Tacoma pickup from a separate line there.

Over the years, GM has obtained models all related to the Toyota Corolla platform.

The venture was supposed to supply the cars on a 50-50 basis to Toyota and GM, with each side receiving 100,000 to 120,000 cars a year. But in recent years, GM's take from the plant has fallen. Last year Pontiac sold 46,551 Vibes, a gain of 25 percent over 2007.

Toyota combines Matrix sales reports with the Corolla, so no data exist comparing Matrix to Vibe sales.

GM has little else in its portfolio like the Vibe. Like the Vibe, the Korean-built Chevy Aveo 5 and Pontiac G3 are five-door hatchbacks. But they are smaller than the Vibe.

"There's really nothing wrong with the Vibe," Hopson said. "Its only problem right now is that it is a Pontiac."

Asked whether the company is considering continuing production of the Vibe with a different GM badge, Hopson flatly said no.

To read more visit the AutoWeek New car news, road tests, blogs, pix and expert insight section.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/904279975
Old 04-28-09, 08:32 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last year pontiac sold 46,551 vibes, a gain of 25 percent over 2007.
there's really nothing wrong with the vibe," hopson said. "its only problem right now is that it is a pontiac."

asked whether the company is considering continuing production of the vibe with a different gm badge, hopson flatly said no.
Who are these idiots and why have they not all been fired?!?!
Old 04-28-09, 09:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummm--Chevy Vibe????
Old 04-28-09, 10:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO they should make it look exactly like the Matrix....looks much better....also the Matrix doesn't have as large of blind spots to the rear like the Vibe has. (ex-Vibe owner here btw '03)

and +1 for the Chevy version....

Old 04-28-09, 12:59 PM
LexFather

Honestly, sell them the old Prius or even the new Prius and their parts. GM doesn't need any gas only help, they can actually figure that out

They need help with hybrids

Old 04-28-09, 08:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the Matrix/Vibe provides cargo room with an efficient 4-banger, GM (Chevy in particular) might take advantage of the Scion's versatility.

Toyota may not want to let the xB so easily reproduced (hell, everyone is doing it). However, the xA does need more of a following...
Old 04-28-09, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its a novle idea, and will probably help introduce some new buyers to the GM/Pontiac without having to gamble on the standard American car. I think masking a Toyota car with a Pontiac grille to give consumers the false sense of reliability is a little shady and pathetic IMHO. Build your own cars GM.

They had Honda putting SUV motors in their Saturns back in the day, and now they are having the Japanese build them econo boxes. I think Toyota may be playing their potential customers into going over to the competition and being happy as well. I am sure they thought this out, but.....

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-28-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-29-09, 06:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly, sell them the old Prius or even the new Prius and their parts. GM doesn't need any gas only help, they can actually figure that out

They need help with hybrids
The Saturn View Two Mode was expected to return #'s of 25/31 with a 260 HP DI V6. However, with Saturn getting boot (and soon) there goes that.
Old 04-29-09, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This whole issue is redundent to me. I see it as a no-brainer. Just rebadge the Vibe as a Chevy. That way, they won't even have to retool the plant.....an important consideration with GM's need to keep costs down.

And, considering that Chevy may (?) very likely lose its truck and large SUV buisness to GMC, there should be space on the Chevy dealer lots to stock the Vibe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 12:44 PM
aznminivan
Driver School Candidate

why cant american companies make nice cars?
Old 04-29-09, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by aznminivan
why cant american companies make nice cars?
They do. Here's a prime example.....the Chevy Malibu. I would buy this car before some Japanese-designed models.

Old 04-29-09, 05:29 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
IMO they should make it look exactly like the Matrix....looks much better....also the Matrix doesn't have as large of blind spots to the rear like the Vibe has. (ex-Vibe owner here btw '03)
I have to disagree, the original Vibe was much better looking than the odd-looking Matrix (Pontiac designers have since then diluted the initial attractive design).
Old 04-29-09, 05:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
I have to disagree, the original Vibe was much better looking than the odd-looking Matrix (Pontiac designers have since then diluted the initial attractive design).
We had a Vibe in the family and chose it over the Matrix strictly for the exterior styling (interiors are the same). Personal preference on our part.
Old 04-29-09, 08:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha 1sicklex beat me to it...

"There's really nothing wrong with the Vibe," Hopson said. "Its only problem right now is that it is a Pontiac."

Asked whether the company is considering continuing production of the Vibe with a different GM badge, Hopson flatly said no.

who what where why? Just like there was no waiting list for the EV-1 right? And only 50 people actually signed on the dot too right? Kindly omitting the fact that they had a tight screening for potential EV-1 owners.
Old 04-29-09, 08:15 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They do. Here's a prime example.....the Chevy Malibu. I would buy this car before some Japanese-designed models.

Will you be buying an American car very soon?

Quick Reply: GM to seek another shared Toyota model to replace Vibe