Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 08:25 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front end definitely looks like the ES330.

Interior... hard to tell but I see some hints at GM's latest (nice) interiors in there in terms of the overall flow of the lines and vents.

I also see what looks like a single Mercedes seat/person-shaped power seat control sitting right smack in the middle of the dash??? I sure hope I'm wrong about that. It's probably their way of letting you control where the air blows from, but it's still ugly.
Old 07-08-09, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Now I know Hyundai isn't the king of orginal but wow that is a blatant A6 ripoff......Wow....Front lights are very ES 330ish...I know the old Audi designer went to KIA, does he work for Hyundai as well?

Interior seems to really elevate the game.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-08-09 at 09:01 AM.

Old 07-08-09, 09:07 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

headlights also have a CLS curve to it, and same with the side profile to me, with the high window line.

looks good to me.
Old 07-08-09, 09:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The gauges look like they were taken straight from a Mazda
Or Mercedes MLxxx.
Old 07-08-09, 10:45 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno ISICK, I never saw any Audi A6 in the design, but definitely see Lexus ES and Volkswagen Passat CC.

What's intresting to me is that the CC isn't really a volume seller - the headroom is compromised and generally the design isn't for every "CamCord" buyer out there. So is Hyundai out to attract more buyers by producing what is essentially a cheaper VW CC? They should tread carefully as they are straying from proven conventions here...The CC gets away with low sales given its high price, I doubt Hyundai can use the same excuse..
Old 07-08-09, 10:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now I know Hyundai isn't the king of orginal but wow that is a blatant A6 ripoff......Wow....Front lights are very ES 330ish...I know the old Audi designer went to KIA, does he work for Hyundai as well?
Yeah, no offense to hyundai but why do they need to cover their "concept"-who's copying them?
Old 07-08-09, 10:51 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^Why the chinese of course!
Old 07-08-09, 11:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
^Why the chinese of course!
good one
Old 07-08-09, 11:31 AM
LexFather

THe side is a near deadshot for the A6. My goodness look at the flowing roof, the extra C-pillar glass the entire shape.

Old 07-08-09, 12:01 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yeah, no offense to hyundai but why do they need to cover their "concept"-who's copying them?
very funny...

Car looks good and will sell well.... IT might have a more aggressive stance than the Genesis with a drop and rims..
Old 07-08-09, 04:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the Hyundai has more of a rakish roofline. Look how much smaller that rear quarter window is on the Sonata compared to the A6. Plus the camera angle is closer to the ground in the A6 picture.

Regardless, the similarities are there. Between A6 and CC IMO. Im thinking the car will be big enough where headroom wont be a standout problem.

THat interior is very nice. First time I have seen a company steal Volvo's climate control system layout (figures it would be Hyundai. lol). I always liked that look.

Hyundai is going for the jugular and I love it.
Old 07-08-09, 04:52 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hyundai design secret. Take a Toyota and a Honda, mix the two and change the badges
Old 07-08-09, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

Looks just like the present Hyundai Genesis Coupe dash, with a different steering wheel and center-stack design.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-09 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
the finish is just terrible...takes a whole new meaning to plasticky cheapness
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's clearly not a finished product. no way it will look like that. they're probably just figuring out proportions/fit.
Interiors sometimes DO look like that. That's the kind of junk interior finish we saw from GM up to a few years ago and still see from Chrysler. But, with Hyundai, I agree, with their recent good reputation, I doubt if they would let a production model look like that. But, to be honest, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe's interior is a disappointment, and a letdown, compared to the Genesis sedan's.
Old 07-08-09, 08:24 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Equipped with a 1.6-liter liquefied petroleum gas engine and electric motors, the Avante LPi Hybrid is the world's first hybrid electric car that uses a combination of LPG engine and electric motor. The car, which took 43 months and 250.8 billion won ($196.2 million) to develop, is also the world's first commercially available hybrid car that uses lithium-ion polymer batteries.

Hyundai will not be exporting the vehicle but plans to hold promotional test driving events in countries where LPG is used as motor fuel including Australia, France and Italy. The company is also said to be considering developing taxi versions of the Avante LPi hybrid.

Next year Hyundai will launch a gasoline-electric hybrid version of the mid-sized sedan Sonata, which according to Hyundai Kia Automotive Group vice chairman Lee Hyun-soon will be more fuel efficient than Toyota's Camry hybrid.
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSI...0907090045.asp

Last edited by hughh; 07-08-09 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)