Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW & Mercedes-Benz reportedly considering four-cylinders in US, pending new fuel ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 09:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default BMW & Mercedes-Benz reportedly considering four-cylinders in US, pending new fuel ...

Apr 27th 2009
BMW and Mercedes-Benz reportedly considering four-cylinders in US, pending new fuel economy standards

With new CAFE regulations looming on the horizon, BMW and Mercedes-Benz are considering bringing four-cylinder models back to the States. BMW's development of new four-pots have been widely reported over the last year, with the automaker confirming work on a direct injected, twin-turbocharged four, likely to be fitted on the next generation 1 and 3 series, due to arrive in 2012. The new mill is also slated to be equipped on the X1 and X3, and according to the automaker, the powerplants will deliver the same output as the current in-line sixes, but with better fuel economy and lower emissions. However, the development of an all-new engine is expensive, and BMW will pass along the cost to consumers, despite BMW's claim that buyers aren't willing to pay for advanced technology.

As for Mercedes-Benz, aside from the 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel that debuted on the E250 Bluetech concept, little is known about the automaker's plans for four-bangers in the States. Although the concept, unveiled at the New York Auto Show, was equipped to an E-Class, don't expect a gasoline-powered four to be fitted on a future E – the new engine will likely find a home in the C-Class and GLK CUV sometime in the next few years.

[Source: Automotive News – Sub. Req.]
Source
Old 04-27-09, 09:40 AM
LexFather

Suddenly the Lexus HS looks like a genius move (again). What is at odds here is consumers in America clearly don't want them or don't care for them as gas is cheap(er) but CAFE is going to shove them down our throats. I am assuming the move is also b/c forecasters expect gas prices to eventually rise up to the $4 mark and beyond then.

If the economy continues to be in the toilet and gas RISES those luxury brands without efficient cars will be far worse off. Now you might say "well SICK, they are luxury cars, who cares about gas" but a couple of things here;
1. The vast majority of luxury cars sold are the entry level vehicles and people are more make a decision based on fuel economy.
2. With the economy possibly in tatters or worse, people that CAN afford big engines will be reluctant to buy them and would rather a more fuel effient car as they do not want to trade in the badge for say a Genesis, etc.

Lexus has proved here that people do want more economical luxury cars WITHOUT sacrificing the "luxury" part. The Germans are betting more on diesels than hybrids which is fine. That said Lexus next round of "hybrids" may focus more on the efficiency aspect than the performance side. (I don't understand why they don't make h=efficient and "F"=performance but for now I am not complaining lol).
The winners in the next decade in America will be those that offer truly complete lineups with a new emphasis on fuel efficiency while also offering larger engines.

A scary thought for the Germans is them losing their prestige advantage as big V-8, V-12, V-10 vehicles start selling so poorly the business case to bringing them here is lost.

Remember, America is the Germans most profitable market and that is b/c we love their big engine vehicles in comparison to Europe where the small engines are the vast majority of sales.

Old 04-27-09, 09:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

^^ Good points. Personally, I think a FI 4 banger works just fine - ask Audi
Old 04-27-09, 10:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will hold on to my inline 6 cars since I love the growl & performance of those motors.. Bring back the 4 bangers BMW.. The E30 M3 was/is a 4 banger and put many 6 & 8 cylinder cars to shame. There are rumors of a M version of the 1 series with a TT 4 banger which will be called the "M coupe".

The HS250 Rolla should blow the doors offthe 4 bangers from Merc & BMW
Old 04-27-09, 01:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we should send a few B200s and B200 Turbos down south for you guys to try lol. It'll make MB's life easier because it's already certified for Canada.
Old 04-27-09, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Suddenly the Lexus HS looks like a genius move (again). What is at odds here is consumers in America clearly don't want them or don't care for them as gas is cheap(er) but CAFE is going to shove them down our throats. I am assuming the move is also b/c forecasters expect gas prices to eventually rise up to the $4 mark and beyond then.
I think the HS is a marvelous idea. I've said for years (and took some flak for it here on CL) that Lexus should do vehicles with smaller engines and four-bangers. Many people said no, it would never work, that it was beneath the "image" of Lexus. We now see (as I saw years ago) that image is not the be-all and end-all. The HS, BTW, is high on my interest list as a possible next car for myself....so it will be a very special review on my part.

If the economy continues to be in the toilet and gas RISES those luxury brands without efficient cars will be far worse off. Now you might say "well SICK, they are luxury cars, who cares about gas" but a couple of things here;
1. The vast majority of luxury cars sold are the entry level vehicles and people are more make a decision based on fuel economy.
2. With the economy possibly in tatters or worse, people that CAN afford big engines will be reluctant to buy them and would rather a more fuel effient car as they do not want to trade in the badge for say a Genesis, etc.
With gas, it is not just a matter of price but availability as well. I'm old enough to clearly remember the shortages and long gas lines of the 1970's. If the pumps don't have gas, a wallet in your pocket thick enough to buy out your local bank won't do you much good.....or an attempt at bribing (the gas is either there or it isn't). So far, for the last 30 years, we've been lucky enough not to have a repeat of the 1970's, even with $4-5 a gallon fuel last summer....but there are no guarantees.
Old 04-27-09, 03:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No biggie, ask Audi. The 2.0T FSI is frugal, quick and lots of fun.
Old 04-27-09, 03:44 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A scary thought for the Germans is them losing their prestige advantage as big V-8, V-12, V-10 vehicles start selling so poorly the business case to bringing them here is lost.
The European luxury brands have the history and the heritage first of all and second, they have sold 4 cylinders here in the past. Their prestige hasn't suffered. It's not a big issue in my opinion.

Anyone remember the Mercedes 240D? That car was a 4 cylinder diesel. Owners loved it. The only real complaints about the 240D was that the car was very slow and maybe it didn't quite start up promptly in colder climates. Most people I know back in the day (late 1970s) only knew two things about that car:

1) it was a Mercedes

and

2) it was a diesel

Did it matter? Not really. It was a Benz. That was and still is a very powerful word in the automotive industry. If I recall correctly Mercedes and BMW also sold some of their more ancient 4 cylinder designs in the US. I know that Mercedes offered us the "Torpedo" 190D - which was a slow 4 cylinder diesel.

If the Europeans bring over their 4 cylinders their prestige won't suffer. I actually think it'll be enhanced. In the Audi S8/W12 thread I mentioned that I spotted several enthusiastic American reader comments about the E250 (gas or diesel) that may reach the US on the International Herald Tribune website. Most of the comments came from current Mercedes owners or people who had owned a Mercedes in the past - as they stated. The impression I got was that such a car would be welcomed. Some people also wished that this engine would make it into the C class and GLK. Indeed, most comments about the GLK lambasted the fact that there is no economical alternative in the US. A GLK220 CDI would be bestseller in the US! The fuel economy is impressive and the performance is completely sufficient.

I think 4 cylinders would do very well in the US in this day and age and possibly even in the future. We're waking up in the Land of Opportunity. We're starting to realize that luxury doesn't have to be excessive and wasteful. Let's not forget the many people who buy these cars are more interested in other features than performance. An economical 4 cylinder E class or 5 series will be just as luxurious as an E350 / 525i/530i/535i - just slower. Big deal.
Old 04-27-09, 03:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
The European luxury brands have the history and the heritage first of all and second, they have sold 4 cylinders here in the past. Their prestige hasn't suffered. It's not a big issue in my opinion.

Anyone remember the Mercedes 240D? That car was a 4 cylinder diesel. Owners loved it. The only real complaints about the 240D was that the car was very slow and maybe it didn't quite start up promptly in colder climates. Most people I know back in the day (late 1970s) only knew two things about that car:

1) it was a Mercedes

and

2) it was a diesel

Did it matter? Not really. It was a Benz. That was and still is a very powerful word in the automotive industry. If I recall correctly Mercedes and BMW also sold some of their more ancient 4 cylinder designs in the US. I know that Mercedes offered us the "Torpedo" 190D - which was a slow 4 cylinder diesel.

If the Europeans bring over their 4 cylinders their prestige won't suffer. I actually think it'll be enhanced. In the Audi S8/W12 thread I mentioned that I spotted several enthusiastic American reader comments about the E250 (gas or diesel) that may reach the US on the International Herald Tribune website. Most of the comments came from current Mercedes owners or people who had owned a Mercedes in the past - as they stated. The impression I got was that such a car would be welcomed. Some people also wished that this engine would make it into the C class and GLK. Indeed, most comments about the GLK lambasted the fact that there is no economical alternative in the US. A GLK220 CDI would be bestseller in the US! The fuel economy is impressive and the performance is completely sufficient.

I think 4 cylinders would do very well in the US in this day and age and possibly even in the future. We're waking up in the Land of Opportunity. We're starting to realize that luxury doesn't have to be excessive and wasteful. Let's not forget the many people who buy these cars are more interested in other features than performance. An economical 4 cylinder E class or 5 series will be just as luxurious as an E350 / 525i/530i/535i - just slower. Big deal.
And in the 80's Mercedes had the sweet 190E & 190E 16v co developed with Cosworth. These were some hot 4 bangers! Some guys were still in the crib when these cars were rolling on the streets and may not recall..

Old 04-27-09, 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right 4 cylinder engines make sense to supplement the engine lineup, not as a replacement for sixes and eights in the US market today.
Old 04-27-09, 04:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

agreed. people like choice. offering a variety of engines makes the most sense. bmw has a great thing going with their turbos.
Old 04-27-09, 04:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The right 4 cylinder engines make sense to supplement the engine lineup, not as a replacement for sixes and eights in the US market today.
well.............so many people want the A4 6 cylinder that Audi is going to stop offering it with the 3.2L -- 100% 2.0T
Old 04-27-09, 04:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed. people like choice. offering a variety of engines makes the most sense. bmw has a great thing going with their turbos.
Choices is what tier 1 automakers are supposed to provide to the customer...
Old 04-27-09, 05:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
well.............so many people want the A4 6 cylinder that Audi is going to stop offering it with the 3.2L -- 100% 2.0T
Good for Audi, a nice excuse to get rid of a mediocre V6.

Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW will continue to do well by sticking to their own agenda.
Old 04-27-09, 05:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Choices is what tier 1 automakers are supposed to provide to the customer...
I agree and that includes the best of 6's and 8's and some 4's too.

Quick Reply: BMW & Mercedes-Benz reportedly considering four-cylinders in US, pending new fuel ...