Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MMarshall has inspired me...a review of the 2009 Honda Civic EX-L w/Nav Package.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 07:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default MMarshall has inspired me...a review of the 2009 Honda Civic EX-L w/Nav Package.

Well CL, I thought I would give this a shot. Many of you know my credentials, and as such hold my words on this forum in pretty high regard, or at least I would hope so. I enjoy reading MMarshall's reviews, as I know you all do. This is not my first attempt at one, and I hope I am getting better each time. I will not include pictures taken by myself as there are little/no changes for 2009 in the Civic Lineup, However, I will include a few from google. It is simply a Face lift for 2009. As a 2006 Civic EX owner myself, I was VERY interested to see what the hype over at www.8thcivic.com was about for 2009. So before my surgery, I ventured down to my local Honda dealer, Drum Honda (Dealmaker Honda of Watertown NY...a dealer whom I HIGHLY recommend) and took a Top-of-the-Line Civic EX-L with Nav for week-long spin. They were only too happy to let it go for a week with a repeat customer, and since my 06 was in for a front end-repaint under warranty (more on that below). The car I drove was the Taffeta White w/ Tan leather and Nav package. Please excuse my typing, I have been working this review for weeks, but the latter part of it (translation from paper notes to computer) is being done post-PRK Laser Eye Correction. As such, my vision comes and goes from 20/15 to entirely non-existent, so bear with me.

As many of you know, I am a member of the forums over at www.8thcivic.com, and have been since I became the proud owner of a 2006 Honda Civic EX in April of 2008, when a HORRENDOUS experience with my local toyota dealer...(Read here) forced me to trade in my far less-than-satisfactory 2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD. At any rate, during my tenure at 8thcivic, I have learned alot about the shortcomings of the 8th Generation of Honda's little commuter car, from the transmission issues (an extended warranty along with a letter to ALL owners to inform them was issued through the NHTSA) in the 6-speed manual Si models, to the extremely poor quality paint work done from the factory and the easily scratched interior panels on all of Honda's 06+ Civic models. But for every shortcoming, Honda seems to have come back with RESOUNDING helpfulness, and willingness to correct any mistake on their part. That said, Lets have a look at the 2009 Civic EX-L.

(For Comparison, the 2006 Honda Civic EX-L in Taffeta White)

and the 2009, same model.

^this is the inside of the hybrid model w/ leather, but aside from the fuel ecomony meter and the addition of a gear or 2 on the center console mounted shifter, there are no differences in the interior of the EX-L and the Hybrid-L W/nav Packages.

OK, so lets have a go shall we? MMarshall, I am going to steal your format, I hope you dont mind, it just seems the most effecient way to get things done.

2009 Model Designation and features are as follows:

DX-Base (Prices start at ~$15,000-$16,000)
DX-G ($16,000-$17,000)
LX ($17,000-$18,000)
LX-S ($18,000-$19,500)
EX ($19,600-$21,500)
EX-L ($21,600-$23,000. BWEARE DEALER MARKUP! Prices on this loaded model can be north of $26,000! DON'T PAY IT!)
Hybrid( $23,500, again, typically $26,000+ w/substantial markups DON'T PAY IT!)
Hybrid-L ($24,500...speakes for itself. Dont pay the markup!)
Si (requires premium fuel, avail. in 6 spd manual only, prices typically in the $23,000 area.)

Plusses are:

-Solid build qualtiy inside and out, this will be a car you can enjoy for years to come.

-Leather is soft, and supple, NOT would you would expect from a compact sedan. Rivals that of higher end Acura's. Of course, It cannot compare to new Lexus Leather...nothing does.

-EASY TO USE NAVI. OMG this was a HUGE plus in my book. Too many factory nav's are a PITA to use. The radio is on a separate tab from the nave systen, and the touch screen is really simple.

-The 350 watt XM Ready stereo already has Ipod Integration

-Sound System MORE Than adequate for todays crowd. 8" free-air Honda Factory Subwoofer keeps things bumping.

-HFP (Honda Factory Performance) Accessories readily avaliable at your dealer(Lowering kits, body kits, spoilers, rims, etc...) are easy to install, and warranty is not voided by self-installation as long as proof of purchase can be provided at request.

-New for 2009 5/60 Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty and a new 7/100 powertrain. a HUGE step up from the previous 3/36, if not just shy of what has become the industry standard since Kia/Hyundai arrived on the scene.

-New Colors for '09, Polished Metal Metallic is one of my favorites!

-16" Alloy wheels standard on EX.

-2 new models added for '09, the DX-G (fits between Base DX and mid grade LX) and the LX-S (Fits between LX and EX).

-EXCELLENT Fuel Economy (more on that below).

-5 speed Auto Tranny, smoothed out with new ECU programming from Honda.

-DBW System not as intrusive as the 06-08 models, perhaps as a result of the ECU modification?

-High volume of interior/trunk space in the sedan, not sure on the coupe.

-addition of sunroof DOES NOT reduce available headroom. Don't know how they did it but Honda.

-Butter-Smooth Electronic-Assist Power Steering.

-A/C does not reduce power or fuel economy significantly (1,2 mpg on average over several tanks, which equates to almost no immediate loss).

-Ease of HVAC controls, EX-L models come with Independently-Adjustable, Dual-Zone Climate Control.

-One touch driver/passenger window and moonroof controls.

-easy to read blue backlit gauges with white digits with ADJUSTABLE LIGHT OUTPUT (standard on all models except Si, from 2006 to present, Si's are red/white w/adjustable light output).

-Plenty of 12v power sources (inside center console, glove box, under dash)

-VSA now standard on Si, Hybrid and EX models, optional on LX/DX.

-New for 2009-CF look interior trim option, not sure if its real, but its a looker either way!

Minuses (Gotta DO BETTER here Honda)

-Shoddy paint job quality. Initial quality is great, Paint is glossy and smooth in every aspect, but expect a repaint after 30k miles. there is a 10 year/unlimited mileage warranty on paint defects, excessive (term subject to Hondas Claims department) rock-chipping *WHICH WILL BE ENCOUNTERED* and cracking/clearcoat failure is covered.

-DBW can still be quirky if one isnt accustomed to it.

-Digital speedometer (though I LOVE it) can be a PITA at highway speeds, cruise control needs readjustment constantly if having any number between "75" or "80" on the display bothers you. That is to say, if you set the cruise control at 75, it will spend more of its time at 74 or 76 than at 75.

-interesting lack of power seats, even on fully loaded model, though a manual lumbar support is standard, I guess you have to leave people a reason to buy an Acura?

-wiper blades only available at dealership (refills), cannot change entire wiper.

-4-wheel-disc w/ABS STANDARD only on models EX and up.

-flimsy, hard to read Orange Plastic Oil Dipstick.

-Car sits low to the ground for good fuel economy, but this makes them hard to clean underneath.

-poor alloy wheel design makes wheels/brakes hard to clean.

-Lack of ~110V power outlet as with most entry level toyota's

-hard for plus sized American adults to enter back seat, however, once in, its comfortable.

-CRAPPY, 30k mile treadwear (THANK GOD) Bridgestone Turanza EL-400 tires. Good Grief. If they lasted any longer than the first year or 2, it would make one ponder suicide...or just ponder purchasing new tires.

INTERIOR

Make way Infinity, there is a new competitor on the block...and its...Honda?

Yes, thats right, Honda, NOT Acura. Excellent quality building materials set the interior of this car apart from its peers (the Yaris, etc). Unlike its 06-08 predcessor, the 09 Civic EX has no lack of interior quality. The 2006+ didnt either, but there is simply more of it in the 2009. I dont know what Honda did, but the panels in the 2009 do not scratch nearly as easily as they do in my 2006, or as they have been reported to do in the models leading up the 2009. Maybe it is the lack of time that has passed since its debut, I can't be sure. The Leather on the EX-L is simply SUPERB for a car in the $20-25K range. Unmatched, IMO, is the comfort of the leather seating, though the addition of power seats would make this car a real go-getter. The road noise is virtually incomprehensible, and can be made virtually silent with the advent of good tires (insert Goodyear ComforTreads here). That said, there is no shortage of 12v power supplies with 3 that I counted and maybe more throughout the car. One thing I did notice and thought an egregious oversight by Honda, was the lack of a ~110v power outlet. Even my 2005 Matrix had one standard...Strange? Perhaps. Unwarranted...maybe even more so. The floor-mounted shifter has easy to read numbers (albeit not lit at night), as well as a corresponding readout on the instrument cluster. This is a good-to-have/hard-to-find feature in small cars today. The backlighting on all the switches (even the steering wheel audio controls) were easy to use and well lit at night. The colors available in the interior need some pruning, though there are more this year than last. They are: Black cloth (new for 2009), grey cloth, blue cloth (hybrid) tan cloth, black suede (Si), Blue leather (Hybrid only) and tan leather, with black leather avalailable as a special-order only option with certian exterior colors. Strange huh?

Audio and Nav were bar-none in this model, the EX-L spares no expense. Dare I say, it rivals that of entry model Lexus cars with its smooth 350 watt, crystal -clear-at-all-volume-levels sound that one should only expect from Mr. Mark Levinson himself. Even the base 160-watt sound system (I got to listen to briefly to an LX, although mine has the 160 watt as well) was nothing short of spectacular for an entry level car. Audio is definately not a let down for this particular model of car... DX-EX is impressive, EX-L, Hybrid, and Si are a force to be reckoned with.

One thing that puzzles me, and I wish was available was a woodgrain/leather package for the EX-L trim. I think a decent woodgrain (even at a price) would REALLY set this car off from its competition, moreso than it is already.

EXTERIOR

Any way you look at it, this car is a looker. By far IMO, one of the best looking compact sedans on the market to day. Nothing in its segment comes close, save for the Mazda 3, which is becoming outdated to say the least. The EX's wheels need a look-over, dont much care for the complexity. In fact, I much prefer the 06-08 model EX Wheels. They were a simple, 5 spoke/rimless design that look great and are SUPER easy to clean. Can't say that about the 09 EX+ wheels. While attractive (IMO) they look to be a NIGHTMARE to keep clean on a daily basis, and if the brake dust is anything like my 2006 was when it was stock, a wash would be required every 2 days for you ****-types (like myself) and at least weekely for you not-so-**** people who still prefer clean cars.

The paint is better this year, but still leaves alot to be desired. Allow me to explain myself. In late 2005 for the 06 model year, Honda reformulated their auto paint to the "New" EPA standard (I say "New" because it wasnt new, Honda was just reluctant to do it for the reasons to follow). The paint formulation was pretty bad, I don't know the specifics, but it caused alot of problems. Having spoken with someone on the inside, I can tell you personally...it is either apply and get orange peel (reminiscent of early Kia Rio's) or apply and get great looking paint, albeit semi-temporarily. Honda has heard the cry from the THOUSANDS of 2006-2008 owners, including myself, and has introduced a NICE paint warranty for 2009, taking the hit for the EPA's wishes. The Corrosion warranty is the same as it always was (10yr/250k or something of that nature) but paint correction for premature wear is free...subject, of course, to your local Honda Dealer's District Manager's opinion (no problem on my end, have had the front repainted already on my 06, and it goes in in june for the rest ).

UNDER THE HOOD
Mechanically, the 09 EX-L Is unchanged from the 06-08 models, save for an ECU reflash to try to subdue the over-responsive nature of the Drive-By-Wire system (DBW). The engines on all models DX-EX-L are all the R18A1 model 1.8L i-Vtec (intelligent Variable Timing/Electronic Camshaft) inline-4 with 140hp/128tq. The Hybrid specs are different (I do not know them offhand). The Si comes with 197 (conservative, it is actually closer to 200) HP/160tq and the i-Vtec is different as well, with the R18 on the non-Si geared for fuel economy, it kicks in at roughly 1500 rpms and stays active till 3500 rpms, while the Si's i-Vtec starts at ~6000 rpms and cuts at the absolute shift point (manny tranny) of 8300rpms. The K20 series motor is with the performance oreinted i-Vtec is available only in the Si, all other models (excl. Hybrid) get the R18.

The 5 speed auto that I have the priveledge of owning/driving on this occasion was butters smooth and easy to use. There is no column shifter on the EX, thank the Lord (those belong on Impala's IMO). The VSA was a welcome addition on this car, as the auto trans seems to be geared low enough to spin tires on wet pavement (even dry, I have noticed it on my non-VSA '06 EX). The extra gear that many cars in its class do not have, it takes FULL advantage of. With cruising RPM's at just under 2500 (~80 mph) it can cruise comfortable on today's interstates and still get 40mpg. In my 2006 EX, I average about 40-43 hwy, and 30-36 city, which is ASTOUNDING considering the non-hybrid nature of the car. The 2009's Nav+computer said I averaged 27.6 mpg, but I did all city driving on the weekend I had it, and these cars are notorious for not achieving peak MPG until their 2nd or 3rd year of use (the 2009 was a loaner while mine was in for the front-end-repaint).

Unfortunately, the prop-rod is still there, but for a car that I dont have to EVER get under the hood except to add washer fluid and check/change the oil/tranny fluid, it isnt an issue. MMarshall may not like it, but I look at it this way: Honda doesnt think you will need to spend any substantial amount of time under the hood of this car, EVER. So why charge the customer more for a gas-strut .

THE EXTRA MILE....

The Civic from 2006 and up comes with a neat feature which I have ALWAYS liked. You cannot get into the gas cap easily without first getting inside the car. The remote gas cap release at the base of the drivers floorboard makes it all that much harder for someone to steal your gas when parked in a less-than-desireable area.

Also, when you get the Alloy wheels on the EX+, wheel locks come standard. Again, one of those "nice to have" things. The audio system has an anti-theft built in, regardless of what model Civic you have.

The lack of a "bulge" in the back seat floorboard...something that has always confused me. I'm glad the civic doesnt have it. It's there for RWD cars so the Driveshaft/transmission can have clearance. Soooo....why does a FWD car need it again? Good thinking Honda, way to make use of space that would otherwise be wasted.

The Addition of VSA on the 09 was a smart move on Honda's part. As is the (now) industry standard additon of ABS (wasnt so for the 2002-2005 models of Civic).

The 2009 (as with the 06+) Civic turns into a Gigantic Pillow in the event of an accident. This, I like. Not very many other small sedans can claim 8 airbags...Good thinking Honda!

That said, all-around, If you are looking for good comfort, bang for the buck luxury, EXCELLENT fuel economy and a reliable sedan, the EX-L Civic is right for you!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-26-09 at 09:19 PM. Reason: oops, proofreading and good vision FTW!
Old 04-26-09, 08:20 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for spending the time writing your thoughts on the Civic.
Old 04-26-09, 11:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good review - however VSA is not available on the DX/LX/EX, only on the EX-L, Hybrid and Si. It should be standard across the line though - Honda does this already on the Accord, Odyssey, Pilot and RidgeLine. The Fit, Insight and Civic have it in higher trim levels.

And I ditto the paint issues on Honda, heck any Japanese car. Waxing will help with paint appearance, but not chipping or flaking. IMO, even aftermarket paint "feels" better to me - most higher end bodyshops will use German(Spies Hecker, Standox, Glasurit), British(Nexa Autocolor, formerly ICI), or Dutch(Sikkens) paint.

Last edited by nthach; 04-26-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 01:39 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior is nowhere near any Infiniti, have to say. Sticks with the Honda tradition of vast caverns of hard plastic.
Old 04-27-09, 03:11 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Have you driven a G35 lately? the sedan is better than the coupe, and they may have fixed this for 2009, but I am aware of the hard plastic problem on the previous models. as well as the horrendous panel gap...All cars nowadays have some hard plastic, at least the civic doesnt take it to extremes like the Saturn Ion, or any american made counterpart for that matter, Even the cobalt.
Old 04-27-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice job, Josh. You might have a job at Car and Driver waiting for you when you get out of the Army.

I don't mind you using my format at all, especially if you can improve on it. My reviews are all public information, and if you find a better way of doing it, be my guest.

Mike (1SICKLEX) also does good reviews...you might want to check out his out too.

And, of course, you've tossed in a few things that I don't usually do in my reviews; and you have the advantage of personally being a certified techinician/mechanic and having long-term experience with repairs. I generally review new cars that haven't broken down or crapped out yet, and usually just quote reliability data from Consumer Reports or J.D. Power.

Yes, the hood gas-strut-vs. prop-rod issue may be trivial for some people, but, as I see it, if other manufacturers can afford to use struts on their entry-level cars (like the Subaru Impreza), why not Honda? It shows that it is not a big deal, cost-wise.
Old 04-27-09, 07:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This 'review' has a lot of good information that I wasn't aware of... but I'll take it as more of a "all about the civic" white paper than an unbiased review since it's probably impossible for a person that owns (and is very proud of) the car that they are reviewing to remain truly objective, and that showed in a number of areas in this review that I think were more flattering to the civic than any other review I've read.

With that said the Civic is my favorite entry in this class of car at the moment, though the thing is for the amount of money Honda dealers want for one I can get a solid size/class up Chevy Malibu with more features, much better comfort/practicality, etc. Only question mark is reliability, of course... but initial reports from JD Power have marked its quality as a 5/5, unlike the civic, actually which got a 4.5/5.

My main problem with Honda's models in general right now is a lack of noise control. I like a quiet car and pretty much everything at the Honda dealer today seems to be below average in its class for noise control, with the S2000 being the pinnacle of the problem.
Old 04-27-09, 08:58 AM
LexFather

Wow, very detailed review. Thanks for posting. I am not a fan of the styling inside or out (but at least it looks different) but we all know the Civic is bread and butter. People buy it b/c its a Civic. As for Infiniti vs Honda plastic he does have a point, the Infinit's are not that much better (maybe b/c they are Nissans rebadged here) but they are vastly improved sans the QX. I've said it many times the Accord is so good, it makes the entire Acura line redundant. The Civic is also rebadged as an Acura CSX in Canada (used to be called the Acura EL) so Honda (no matter right or wrong) feels a Civic is worthy of a luxury badge.

I cannot believe the Civic has transmisison issues with the manual. I had no idea.

Its a fantatic car for hundreds of thousands of families and it attracts the "younger" buyer a lot of companies want.

Old 04-27-09, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for Infiniti vs Honda plastic he does have a point, the Infinit's are not that much better (maybe b/c they are Nissans rebadged here) but they are vastly improved sans the QX.
Infinitis did not start out that way, in the 1990's. Quality-wise, back then, they were superb.......you couldn't tell them from Lexuses.

What happened to infiniti was the same thing that happened to Nissan when Renault's Ghosn & Co, bought them out....cheapness and cost-cutting. They are still recovering from that dark period today....but have improved quite a bit in the last 2-3 years.

I've said it many times the Accord is so good, it makes the entire Acura line redundant.
I agree that it might make some older, FWD Acuras like the TL and TSX redundant, but the Accord, to date, sorely lacks the superb SH-AWD that Acura uses on both the RL and TL. It also does not have anywhere near the interior or tank-like body solidness that the RL does. Of course, ANYTHING Honda produces makes the new Acura grilles redundant.

I cannot believe the Civic has transmisison issues with the manual. I had no idea.
Issues or not, the Civic has what I consider the best FWD manual-transmission linkage on the planet. You can shift it blindfolded and, most of the time, not skip a gear.
Old 04-27-09, 06:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

great review. I cant believe what a great value the civic is. It has most of the features that you find in a lexus. Its a great car with great history. Then civic is the leader in this segment of cars. No wonder
Old 04-28-09, 07:45 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

yes, I am somewhat based, but I have not had the time/opportunity to review much else. the civic's new paint-job gave me the opportunity.
Old 04-28-09, 10:07 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Very nice Josh-gotta get used to your new CL ID

The day that econobox are coming out with leather and nav

Over $23k??????????????????????????????????????????
Old 04-28-09, 10:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Interior is nowhere near any Infiniti, have to say. Sticks with the Honda tradition of vast caverns of hard plastic.
Just go ahead and admit you hate Infiniti and Honda with a passion
Old 04-28-09, 10:35 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

To be honest, I spoke to Honda's Regional Marketing Director recently on this exact issue. The bottom line is, more mand more people are looking for luxury cars, but they dont want luxury car fuel economy. So, Honda's descision to incorporate Leather/Nav and similar luxury car components into smaller, more fuel effecient cars is actually MARKET driven, rather than trying to please a particular segment or age group.

That said, Honda itself has to be VERY careful about what luxury aspects it adds to its small cars, so as not to undermine the larger cars in its own brand. I believe that is largely the reason the USDM civic has no power/heated seats, or Woodgrain package. The accord does. If one could get everything the accord or even say, an acura offers in a Civic that averages ~40mpg hwy or more, why would they pay the extra $10,000 for the bigger car? Some would still, but most, especially the older people who do not need the extra space, would not.
Old 04-28-09, 10:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could give a civic every option available on the LS460 but in the end it's still a civic. I don't mean that in a pretentious badge ***** sort of way either... I'm saying just because the civic has available nav and leather does not make it a luxury car or even close to one. IMO what makes a car isn't the check boxes on an option list... it's the rest of the car as a whole.

Quick Reply: MMarshall has inspired me...a review of the 2009 Honda Civic EX-L w/Nav Package.