Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

COMMENTARY: Three Ways to Turn Around the American Auto Industry

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I was confining the comparison strictly to the car lines, if you want to include trucks, Chevy and GMC both offered them in a limited number of models, and today's proliferation of SUVs only makes the same point over - far too many models to be sustained by the market.

I deliberately ignored the '50's series 'vettes because they made no significant contribution to overall sales, other than being the halo car for the brand. Early models coupled the anemic but reliable "Blue Flame 6" to that two-speed auto tranny for a marriage truly made in hell.

The El Camino and the Nomad were simply a standard automobile customized by the factory. The El Camino carved a pickup bed in the back of the two-door, and the Nomad was a styling exercise that created a near-useless two-door wagon. The Nomad in particular was often fitted with the V8, and proved to be an instant classic.
OK, Lil.....I wasn't trying to unduly criticize your post....just bring up a couple of points to clarify things, which you've done here.
Old 04-21-09, 11:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, Lil.....I wasn't trying to unduly criticize your post....just bring up a couple of points to clarify things, which you've done here.
Yes, with a lot of ancient trivia.

Hopefully the Big 3 spend time planning their future and not looking back to the good old days. I'll have some faith.
Old 04-21-09, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, with a lot of ancient trivia.
Like YOU never drove one of those cars? Come on now.

But, yes, I know it takes the thread off-topic.

Hopefully the Big 3 spend time planning their future and not looking back to the good old days. I'll have some faith.
There's some evidence of that now. Check out the new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Cadillac CTS, and Ford's Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets. Definitely not the stuff of the past. In fact, the Aura is one of the few remaining reasons (VERY few, I might add) for actually keeping Saturn as it is now, though it is esentially just a redone Malibu with different trim and orange/yellow dash lights inside instead of aqua-blue.

In Saturn's case, though, looking backwards to the plastic-body age may not be a bad idea. We've already discussed that in other threads, so no need to rehash that here again.
Old 04-21-09, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like YOU never drove one of those cars? Come on now.

Check out the new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Cadillac CTS, and Ford's Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets. Definitely not the stuff of the past. In fact, the Aura is one of the few remaining reasons (VERY few, I might add) for actually keeping Saturn as it is now, though it is esentially just a redone Malibu with different trim and orange/yellow dash lights inside instead of aqua-blue.
Yes, I've driven many of the oldies for sure.

As you've pointed out above, look at all the redundancy, duplication, badge-engineering that you just listed above. Weak companies (like the Big 3 specifically) cannot afford this lame business model on top of all their legacy costs.

On top of this, the car's you have listed are all good cars, but not necessarily best in class. Add in all the other cars that they have in their lineup which are horrible rental cars and trucks, and you have companies that lose billions every quarter.