Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche World Roadshow comes to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 08:07 PM
L&E
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche World Roadshow comes to Canada

Porsche World Roadshow Travels to Canada : Auto News

For the first time ever the traveling sportscar (and SUV) experience that is the Porsche World Roadshow has made its way to Canada. Held at Mosport International Raceway, just outside Toronto, the former Formula 1 facility played host to the vast majority of Porsche’s fleet of cars, with activities both on and off the track.

The Porsche event will be in Canada for several weeks, offering current and prospective Porsche owners a chance to truly appreciate the capabilities of these amazing machines. But before the event was officially opened, Porsche Canada invited us to bang gears, hit apexes and even go off-roading, to experience just what a Porsche can do.

In total, we had the chance to get behind the wheel and experience a Boxster S, Cayman S, 911 Carrera S, 911 Targa 4S, Cayenne, Cayenne GTS, oh… and a 911 Turbo. Other vehicles on-hand included several Cayenne S models, a Cayenne Turbo and a GT2 (which was strictly reserved for instructors to give hot laps in).

OFF-ROADING IN CAYENNES

First up during the busy day of activities was an off-road course, which was a genuine eye-opener. In just a standard Cayenne I drove through ditches, clawed my way up steep hills and climbed treacherous inclines – even dropping off small cliffs and getting the luxury SUV’s wheels up in the air at times.

Possibly even more amazing is how relaxed such an off-roading adventure can be in a luxurious Porsche cabin that doesn’t creak or squeak. Even the engine seemed relaxed, thanks in part to the low-range gearing that can be selected, a setting that also tells the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) to give maximum range to the active front anti-roll bar, allowing the wheels a greater range of movement.

The only real sounds detectable from inside the cabin are the differentials locking and the traction control ticking and clicking away, giving you maximum grip to get up a dirt slope you never dreamed a Porsche could.

The Cayenne, our instructor informed us (and we experienced), is capable of tremendous off-road feats, even though very few drivers will ever need or want such back-country credentials. Greater off-road capability is possible, however the Cayenne, being a Porsche, needs to sit somewhere in the middle to ensure the best possible on-road performance as well.

Normally a Cayenne has 215mm (8.46-inches) of ground clearance, while selecting the High Level I will give 241mm (9.49-inches) of clearance for speeds below 50 mph. A special High Level II, which we used, stretches the maximum ground clearance to 271mm (10.67-inches) and stays that way for speeds below 19 mph.

In the High Level II setting the Cayenne has an approach angle on gradients of 31.8 degrees and a departure angle of 25.4 degrees, with a ramp breakover angle of 24.7 degrees – all of which we used to their full extent...
Old 04-16-09, 08:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats really cool. I like the fact that Porsche tries to gain confidence and admiration by letting people get behind the wheel
Old 04-17-09, 02:33 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thats really cool. I like the fact that Porsche tries to gain confidence and admiration by letting people get behind the wheel
Events like these are actually quite common among many manufacturers.
Old 04-17-09, 05:10 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So is it a pay event or just a invite event or ?
Shoudl move this to the Canada section but i like it here since no one will see it :P