Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda: Yes to Diesel; No to Hybrids (update: Toyota hybrids, New Sky-D engine)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 01:38 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
I can't speak to California's prices but my local Chevron has diesel for the same price as regular.
Those are not the California price. those are the NATIONAL AVERAGE...

Can't read?
Old 03-29-09, 02:24 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
So are you saying if they use a different standard for Diesels then it'll be cleaner? Okay...

With a different standard McCain should be the president now...

So what's your point?
Diesel and petrol are inherently different. Diesel contains far more heptane than iso-octane and in petrol it is the exact opposite, (diesel's octane rating would be between 15-25 versus 87-93 in petrol).

It would be as if you were judging Scotch by vodka standards.

All that really matters is that diesel's energy density is about 10 percent higher than gasoline.

Until hydrogen is figured out diesel is the best stop-gap we have. Hybrids don't preform well enough and battery tech is still awful and harms the environment even more than petrol. And other than the Tesla tell me another electric car that is even close to good?

I was addressing you personally in regards to CA diesel prices. My quote was misleading, sorry.
Old 03-29-09, 03:47 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

This hybrid versus diesel nonsense goes on the same way everytime. The preachers/fanboys take everything so personally that they have to start insulting eachother like school children with snide remarks. Grow up people. Back in a place called the real world both hybrid/electric and diesels both share a place in the market. This is hardly a zero sum game. Andbody who honestly believes that needs to take the blinders off, seriously.
Old 03-29-09, 04:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

diesels work best in markets where there is weak emissions testing, they become overly expensive when asked to meet US emissions.

Add new gasoline tech like DI and Valvematic and diesels offer insignificant mileage gains.
Old 03-29-09, 06:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
Only because CARB was too stupid to make a different emission standard for diesel. Diesel release far fewer hydrocarbons than gasoline (primary polutant) but releases more NOx compared to gasoline. So, in their infinite wisdom they made diesel standards the same as gasoline effectively banning diesel untill Mercedes created the Blutec urea system. With urea, diesels are far cleaner.
Oh so you need another testing system to make diesels look better?

They're Tier 2 Bin 5s. That's ULEV or what the rest of the gasoline cars meet. Keep in mind that we also needed ULSD before MB would even bring over their good diesels because the sulphur content would "destroy" their emissions system.
Old 04-13-09, 05:49 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool FlipFlop

Just a few weeks ago, Mazda was adamant that diesel engines would be enough to satisfy its needs for more fuel-efficient cars - but now, in a major shift in strategy, the carmaker will be embracing hybrids and electric powertrains in the coming years.

The change in heart was revealed by Mazda's CEO Takashi Yamanouchi last week at the New York Auto Show. Speaking with Automotive News, Yamanouchi confirmed that Mazda will have hybrid and electric powertrains in its lineup by 2015, although the company will still be focusing on improving the efficiency of both its diesel and petrol engines.

Furthermore, Yamanouchi was confident enough to state that Mazda's next-generation of petrol engines will achieve the same fuel-economy as current diesels, and that its diesels will achieve the same fuel economy as existing hybrids.

Interestingly, despite the close links between Ford and Mazda, Yamanouchi claimed that new hybrid and electric technology will be "unique" to Mazda - although "if Ford desires, [Mazda] will be ready to see its technology".

Despite the shift in strategy, petrol and diesel engines will still play a large role in the company. The reasoning is that with hybrids and electric vehicles Mazda will be able to satisfy almost 90% of the car-buying public, and not just a limited segment of the market.
Old 04-13-09, 05:21 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydrogen will still win. Think about it...we spend so much money using fossil fuels to refine more fossil fuels, and are not able to get that fuel back. At least with hydrogen you'd be able to replenish the fuel source...water.

As far as changing one evil with another, don't you think that if they can come up with a way to harness it for cars, that they will find a way to harness it for the refineries? You might use gasoline for a time being, but it'd only be a matter of time before they start switching everything over to hydrogen.

You also don't have batteries to charge, batteries to dispose of when they die out from being cycled too much, weight issues, etc etc.

Time will tell what wins out.
Old 03-19-10, 05:12 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Update

Mazda is seriously considering a 4-cylinder diesel for the CX crossover for the U.S. market in efforts to boost fuel-economy without sacrificing performance, reports Road&Track.

The 2.2L diesel inline 4-cylinder in the European 5-passenger CX-7 makes 170-hp and a peak torque of 295 lb-ft. That’s enough to get it from 0-62 mph in 11.3 seconds. In comparison, the 2.3L direct-injection gasoline engine makes 260-hp, allowing the CX-7 to go from 0-62 mph in 8.2 seconds.

If the decision to bring diesel to the U.S. is approved, a Mazda official says that it would be the company’s next-generation diesel called SKY-D that would make it here. It is a little bit more powerful than the 2.2L diesel unit and would most likely be offered with the company’s new dual-clutch automated gearbox. The 6-speed manual may also be retained.
Old 03-19-10, 05:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Mazda Tribute hybrid anyone?
Old 03-19-10, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Mazda Tribute hybrid anyone?
Ford, Mazda's owner, won't share the Escape/Mariner's hybrid drivetrain with the Tribute. I agree with you......it is one of Ford's rare marketing goofs nowadays.
Old 03-19-10, 12:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford, Mazda's owner, won't share the Escape/Mariner's hybrid drivetrain with the Tribute. I agree with you......it is one of Ford's rare marketing goofs nowadays.
Oh I guess it never surfaced. I recall seeing a Tribute hybrid on display somewhere, I just assumed that it was on sale. Looking at their website I see that it is not.
Old 03-19-10, 03:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I thought I heard a while back that Ford sold its stake in Mazda. It was one of those moves that happened when Ford was trying to accumulate cash.
Old 03-19-10, 03:23 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Cali

Oh I guess it never surfaced. I recall seeing a Tribute hybrid on display somewhere, I just assumed that it was on sale. Looking at their website I see that it is not.
2008 Mazda Tribute: Tribute returned for 2008 with freshened styling. Added for sale in California was a gas/electric Hybrid model that came in Touring and Grand Touring trim. Hybrids paired a 133-hp 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine with an electric motor and didn't require plug-in charging.
2009 Mazda Tribute: Tributes received a power boost for 2009. The i models got a 171-hp 2.5-liter 4-cylinder to replace a 153-hp 2.3-liter engine. The s models' 3.0-liter V6 gained 40 hp for 240 total. Hybrids, still sold only in California, got a 153-hp 2.5-liter four that replaced a 133-hp 2.3-liter version.
Old 03-20-10, 08:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So I am not crazy.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-10, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Mazda Tribute: Tributes received a power boost for 2009. The i models got a 171-hp 2.5-liter 4-cylinder to replace a 153-hp 2.3-liter engine. The s models' 3.0-liter V6 gained 40 hp for 240 total. Hybrids, still sold only in California, got a 153-hp 2.5-liter four that replaced a 133-hp 2.3-liter version.
Good catch. I had forgotten that the Tribute Hybrid is offered in CA. I see no reason to limit it to just there, though.

(I try and keep so many auto facts in my head that I occasionally mess one or two of them up)

So I am not crazy
No, you certainly aren't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-10 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda: Yes to Diesel; No to Hybrids (update: Toyota hybrids, New Sky-D engine)