Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Small SUV Roof Strength Test

Old 03-26-09, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I mentioned that to someone in my group and his response is "well sometimes you need to take emergency maneuvers" My response was "What's the point in taking an emergency maneuver if you're creating another emergency?

If I'm in a SUV and a deer runs onto the road, I'll hit the brakes but if Bambi doesn't move she's roadkill...
If Bambi is large enough, YOU may be part of that roadkill as well. I've seen what sometimes happens to vehicles that hit deer, especially a large buck.
Old 03-26-09, 10:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If Bambi is large enough, YOU may be part of that roadkill as well. I've seen what sometimes happens to vehicles that hit deer, especially a large buck.
Maybe is the key word.

The odds are in favor of the driver in the SUV surviving over the large buck. I see plenty of those accidents in the hills where I live. The vultures try to get a piece of the action though.
Old 03-26-09, 10:14 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I'll take a head-on with a deer over a roll over accident. If there's going to be blood, I'd prefer if most of it wasn't mine
Old 03-26-09, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
1. Not a a big concern, high strength steel is used selectively in key areas already in all of the best cars, adding strength not weight. Fire departments are well aware of the use of these high strength metals in newer cars as they cut victims out of wreckages, which is another issue for them. Fortunately the engineering involved is not as casual as putting junk on a roof rack.
This is one of the reasons, among many, why I like Subarus. The center-post (B-pillar) in a number of Subarus, especially older Foresters, is so strong that even Fireman's jaws have trouble cutting into them. Ironically, this has been a Fire Department complaint with the Forester. The secret to the amazing strength is high-grade steel inserts inside the pillars, corkscrewed back and forth over each other some 5 or 6 times.
Old 03-26-09, 10:15 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a problem with large SUVs is that things like debris, deer, other cars, etc. can get stuck under them and then flip them over, especially if the drive wheels are still going. Sadly, my friend's mother is no longer with us today because of this scenario.
Old 03-26-09, 10:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'll take a head-on with a deer over a roll over accident. If there's going to be blood, I'd prefer if most of it wasn't mine
I'd take the roll over, assuming I were strapped in. A deer crashing through your windshield is capable of decapatating(sp) you. Not how I want to go.
Old 03-26-09, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This is one of the reasons, among many, why I like Subarus. The center-post (B-pillar) in a number of Subarus, especially older Foresters, is so strong that even Fireman's jaws have trouble cutting into them. Ironically, this has been a Fire Department complaint with the Forester. The secret to the amazing strength is high-grade steel inserts inside the pillars, corkscrewed back and forth over each other some 5 or 6 times.
Exactly and it's not just the Forester, fire departments are noting this as they cut into almost all the premium cars highly ranked for safety. Basically they just go through a lot of expensive blades while the victims wait inside.

Take a look of color-coded cutaway drawings of the best cars and you will see expensive high strength steel used in windshield posts, B pillars, etc. All this to create a safety cage effect.
Old 03-26-09, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe is the key word.

The odds are in favor of the driver in the SUV surviving over the large buck. I see plenty of those accidents in the hills where I live. The vultures try to get a piece of the action though.
Yes, the airbags and belts/harnesses definitely help protect the front occupants. But it all depends on how the deer hits. A friend of mine, for example, had a two-year old Nissan minivan totalled when a big buck hit the left front end (behind the air-bag sensors, which did not go off) and bounced up onto the windshield. He was fairly well-proteced...but his wife, up front with him, was injured and got a number of stitches.

I ended up helping him get a new vehicle to replace it (as I do with a fair number of people)...a Mazda MPV.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-09 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 11:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'd take the roll over, assuming I were strapped in. A deer crashing through your windshield is capable of decapatating(sp) you. Not how I want to go.
How often does that happen (going through the windshield vs just hitting the front of the car)? Not a lot of deer in CA
Old 03-26-09, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How often does that happen (going through the windshield vs just hitting the front of the car)? Not a lot of deer in CA
It happened to a friend of mine....see my post above. I agree with you, though, that conventional front-end deer impacts are more likely.
Old 03-26-09, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

There were 5 in my backyard Saturday morning. But I don't drive back there.
Old 03-26-09, 10:11 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's no secret that German and Sweedish vehicles, particularly Mercedes and Volvo, have traditionally had thicker sheet metal and stronger frames than American and Asian manufacturers, though, to some extent, Subaru has been an exception.
Not only that, but the type of steel is important - Mercedes is using a ultra-high strength steel with boron added and lower levels of carbon. The less carbon steel has, the stronger it is at the expense of ductility. Toyota has jumped on the UHSS bandwagon in their unibodies, but Honda hasn't - they use UHSS in non-critical areas such as the rear bulkhead.
Old 03-26-09, 11:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^Great information, nthach, thank you.

I find it interesting that Honda can have their element perform to such high levels, but the CRV drop the ball so much. Congratulations to Subaru and Jeep though, the new Forester is a phenomenal SUV, and I always appreciate the added, dare I say, German "solidness" from Subaru products over comparable Honda/Toyota products.
Old 03-27-09, 12:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Good stuff.

Located an old article I posted years back about Subaru's reinforced pillars. So strong Jaws of Life has trouble cutting it apart.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-a-subaru.html

Old 03-27-09, 07:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
Not only that, but the type of steel is important - Mercedes is using a ultra-high strength steel with boron added and lower levels of carbon. The less carbon steel has, the stronger it is at the expense of ductility. Toyota has jumped on the UHSS bandwagon in their unibodies, but Honda hasn't - they use UHSS in non-critical areas such as the rear bulkhead.
Exactly, the answer is more than simply thicker heavier steel. Porsche also uses the ultra-high strength steel with boron added in certain cockpit areas including windshield pillars and rollbars for converts, essentially creating the safety cage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small SUV Roof Strength Test