Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel

By multiple CL member request, a Review of the 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...d/default.aspx

In a Nutshell: Typical BMW driving pleasure in a big, all-weather package, but with some complex and frustrating controls.

I have several CL requests for a review of the new BMW x5 3.5d diesel, and, as they are now available in my area, I decided to check one out today. I always look forward to BMW reviews, because BMWs, in general, are so enjoyable to drive. But, of course, they have plusses and minuses just like any other vehicle, particularly in their complex dash/console controls. Still, I've always particularly liked their chassis and steering gear, and X5s are no exception.

While truck-based SUVs with body-on-frame construction, and expensive imported SUVs, like the British Land Rovers and Mercedes Gelandewagen, had been avaliable for decades, it was Lexus, in 1998, who first introduced the concept of a car-based, unibody, luxury-import AWD SUV with a center differential and unibody construction....the extremely successful, Camry-based RX300. The RX300, despite its sludge/gel-prone V6 that was unforgiving of oil-change neglect, was so successful (I liked its smooth ride and tomb-like quiet myself, though I never owned one), that competitors soon followed from a number of American, European, and Asian manufacurers. Relatively inexpensive gas in the U.S., of course, encouraged the sales of gas-powered SUVs even more......until last summer, when it went over $4.00 a gallon. Into this mushrooming number of luxury/import, car-based SUV's came BMW's X5, with little-brother X3 soon to follow. The X5, at first, drew howls of protest from the BMW sport-sedan faithful, who were already upset with many of the redesigns and new features that the notorious Chris Bangle brought to the company. Traditional BMW enthusiasts, and many in the auto press, saw an SUV with a blue-and-white propeller on the hood as an abomination, just as Porsche sports-car traditionalists did with the Cayenne. Yet the X5, while turning some people off (Chris Bangle turned a lot MORE people off with the I-Drive and questionable styling), also brought in a new class of SUV-shoppers, many of whom had never stepped foot into one of the traditionally arrogant and snooty BMW dealerships. Even with the uppity sales and service departments at the dealerships (fortunately, much of that is changing now) the X5, like many other SUVs of the era, proved quite successful, extending some of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" characteristics into winter snow and slippery roads, though X-Drive AWD, by then, was also offered on some of their regular passenger cars as an option. Little-brother X3 was also ultimately successful, although it was criticized, at first, in the auto press for a overly-stiff ride.....BMW, uncharacteristic for them, had to make some suspension and tire changes to keep the sales up.

The X5, however, not out of the ordinary for some BMW products, did develop a reputation for electronic, hardware, and power-equipment failures (Consumer Reports rates its reliablity history as varying from average to below-average). Perhaps the worst problem was a string of vehicles with defective electric-cooling-fan sensor-switches for the engine. A number of X5s were quietly replaced by the factory under warranty, or were totalled by insurance, when those little switches decided to go out to lunch one day, overheat the engine, and turn the whole front end of a $50,000-plus vehicle into the Ultimate Marshmallow-Roasting Machine. BMW, of course, faced with replacing expensive vehicles from a simple switch failure, (fortunately, no one that I know of was hurt or killed from this), wasted little time with a quick recall and getting to the root of the problem. Later X5s were still not the most reliable SUVs on the road, but no longer had any dangerous problems.

Today, for 2009, there are three versions of the X5 in the American market. The 3.0 version has the excellent, much-loved, in-line, 260 HP 3.0 L straight six. The 4.8 has the 4.8L, 350 HP V8, and the new-for-2009 35d has an in-line, twin-turbo, 3.0L diesel six, with, like current VW and Mercedes diesels, state-of-the-art, common-rail, direct-injection technology. All three versions come standard with BMW's X-Drive AWD system and a 6-speed sport-shift automatic transmission (no manual is currently offered in the American market). The review requests, of course, were for the diesel, so that is what I chose.

Diesels, of course, have pros and cons. While they typically (depending on a number of factors) offer substantially better gas mileage than equivalent gas engines, the low-sulfur diesel fuel that modern diesels need is also quite expensive...in many areas, well over the price of premium 93-octane gas. Thank the EPA and CARB for this.....in 2005, the same low-sulfur fuel that had been sold in Europe for years was mandated in America. Of course, there was a reason for that, as the cheaper (but junk) diesel fuel that was previously sold here was substantially higher-polluting, and was simply not compatible with the new common-rail, TDI, and Bluetec diesel technology. But, for several reasons, the new low-sulfur fuel is not currently very cost-effective, partially due to a limted market, and so sells at a higher price than gas...it is expensive to refine. Diesel fuel is also not as widely available as gasoline, either....you may have to hunt a little for a station that carries it. The U.S. Government does not give the low-sulfur diesel fuel here a tax advantage like many countries in Europe do, and that also keeps the pump price up. But, in many states, and with the IRS, a new diesel vehicle purchase itself can qualify for a tax credit (diesels are considered alternate-fuel vehicles for tax purposes, even if the fuel itself, like gasoline, is still petroleum-derived). I haven't figured that one out yet.....you'll have to ask the politicians, who make the tax laws, why.

As I have pointed out in other late-model diesel reviews, if your conception of a car diesel is still the unreliable, hard-to-start, rattle-noisy, sluglike, stinky, black-smoke-belcher of old, take those memories and toss them in the trash can, because that's just what they are, today.....memories. Today's diesels are marvelous. They start and run virtually no differently from a gas engine (details below), give better mileage than a gas engine, have LOTS of torque at low RPM's, and, IMO, just may (?) be worth the extra price of the low-sulfur diesel fuel that made these new diesels possible. In some cases, diesels also have a longer life than a gas engine in service.....a result of the ultra-heavy-duty block and strengthened internal parts to withstand the high diesel compression, though the piston rings and valve stems still wear and have to be replaced. Some new diesels require a urea-solution injected into the exhaust systems to help the catalytic converter clean things up. Urea refills, depending on the need for them, driving conditions, manufacturer recommendations, and the size of the urea tank, are normally done at 10,000 mile intervals. Dealerships usually handle this, but an increasing number of independent shops are getting the equipment and supples for them. BMW, for the X5 35d, probably covers this with its free 4-year/50,000 mile service.

So, now let's see how the new 35d stacks up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 BMW X5 35d

Base Price: $51,200

Options:

Premium Package: $3200

Rear Climate Control: $900

Sport package $3700

Technology Package: $2600

Satellite Radio with 1-year subscription: $595

I-Pod/USB: $400

HD Radio: $350

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $64,365

Drivetrain: AWD, Longitudionally-mounted, common-rail, direct-injected 3.0L Diesel in-line 6, 265 HP @ 4200 RPM, Torque 425 ft-lbs. @ 1750-2250 RPM, 6
speed Sport-shift automatic.

EPA Mileage Rating: 19 City, 26 Highway,

Exterior Color: Arctic White

Interior: Black Leatherette with Walnut trim.

PLUSSES:

Superb, much-better-than-average BMW website and "Build Your Own" feature.

Typical, superb, BMW steering feel.

Superb diesel drivability.

Excellent low-RPM torque.

Excellent brake feel.

Generally good handling, but not as snappy as BMW coupes/sedans.

Over 500-mile highway driving range with diesel*
*with a fuel-injected vehicle, it's not a good idea to let the tank go below a quarter-full.

Low wind noise.

Low road/tire noise.

Relatively comfortable ride, with good ride/handling compromise.

Nice, smooth paint job.

Many different interior color and trim choices.

No extra charge for metallic exterior paint colors like other German cars.

Generally OK underhood layout.

Vehicle-surround lower-body cladding helps prevent paint damage.

Full-length sunroof.

Dual-action clamshell tailgate/hatch.

Well-finished cargo area.

Excellent primary gauges.

Comfortable front seats.

Killer stereo.

Well-done interior wood and metallic trim.

Thermoplastic front fenders resist dents/rust.

Good headroom, front and rear.

Good legroom, front and rear.

Fairly good visibility out the rear.

4 year/50,000 maintenance plan.

Alternative-Fuel-Vehicle tax credits available.

MINUSES:

Very pricey with options.

Pricey (and limited availability) low-sulfur diesel fuel.

Heavy weight (5225 lbs, empty)

Slower-than-average steering response for a BMW.

No (?) oil dipstick.

Awkward, quirky electronic shifter.

Awkward parking-brake-tab on console.

Awkward, two-step igniton fob/button.

Cheap sun-visor materials....but nice vanity lights.

Overly-dull, funeral-home, paint color choice.

Unpleasant, but durable, seat "Leatherette".

Uncomforable stitching on steering wheel.

Poorly-placed brake pedal for big feet.

Complex, frustrating I-Drive and stereo controls.

Cheap, flimsy steering-column stalks.

Fairly high step up/down getting in and out.

Below-average reliability history (though the diesel engine is new)

4/50 warranty (including power train) not as long as American and Asian competitors.

Expensive parts and service if not warranty or maintenence-plan-covered.

Snooty dealerships in the past.........but some of that is changing.

Outrageously expensive ($6000) factory/dealer accessory wheel packages (my test car did not have one).

EXTERIOR:

The 2009 X5 is essentially the same, style-wise, outside, as it has been for a couple of years now; there are no big surprises as you walk up to it. It is still the same, conservatively-squared, fairly handsome mid-size SUV it has been for a while now, with the traditional split/twin-kidney BMW grille and semi-eyebrow headlights. What IS surprising, though (and I wasn't expecting this), are the thermo-plastic front fenders (like on the old Saturns) and super-lightweight aluminum hood.....BMW says that this is done for optimum weight distribution in the center. Still, that's fine with me...I like the idea of dent/ding/rust-resistant panels (I always have). The other body parts seem to be a mix of aluminum, steel, and plastic.

BMW paint jobs have been improving lately, and the Arctic White on my test car, especially on the plastic front fenders, was quite well-done. The X5, this year, seems to buck the usual BMW (and other European-manufacturer) trend of charging extra for metallic and pearl paint jobs.....all of the colors are included in the base price ($51,200). Unfortunately, the dull paint color choices offered, like on so many other vehicles today, would put a librarian or a funeral director to sleep. Most of the exterior hardware, as typical of BMW, is well-done and solid-feeling, though the plastic grille, attached to the aluminum hood, feels a little flimsy. A dark gray band of lower-body cladding, a couple of inches wide, runs around the bottom of the entire vehicle and in the wheel wells, protecting the paint from road debris...a feature I like. (This is something, that, IMO, should be standard on all new vehicles). Though it's not the highest-stance SUV on the market by any means, getting in and out requires a good step up and down....even more so to clear the running boards flared out at the bottom on both sides.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the super-lightweight aluminum hood, held up with two nice gas struts, and a nice, thick underhood insulation pad helps enhance even more of the advanced diesel's quietness. The underhood layout is generally OK, though the longitudionally-mounted 3.0L straight-six diesel fits in a little on the tight side, and has an annoying plastic cover that blocks some upper components. But other components can be reached around the sides and front of the block, with no problem. The battery is not up front; it is rear-mounted, again, according to BMW, for optimum weight distribution. Filler caps, reservoirs, and dipsticks are generally accessable, though I don't remember seeing an oil dipstick. Most BMWs, today, have discarded traditional oil dipsticks for a computer-monitored oil level and change intervals. That is a big No-No in my book; I simply don't trust the complex electronics to do the job of protecting the engine that a simple, occasional glance at the dipstick and common-sense oil changes at 3-5 months/3000-5000 miles will do. BMW has, not surprisingly, had to replace some engines under warranty when these computer systems malfunctioned or allowed the engine to go too long and get plugged up with oil sludge and gel. So, generally, not too bad a layout underhood, but still not a very good one for do-it-yourselfers.

INTERIOR:

Step up into the interior, and it is typical BMW in its styling, layout, and trim.....no surprises here. A wide variety of leather colors and trim materials is offered....BMW is one of the better manufacturers in this area. My test car had the black "Leatherette" interior with Walnut wood trim.....full-leather seats are a $1400 option. The Leatherette was thick and seemed durable, but, like on some other BMWs, I was not impressed at all with its feel. It felt grainy, rough, matte-finish, and cheap, compared to the smooth, soft leather found in upper-level Lexus and Jaguar vehicles. However, the full-power front seats themselves were well-shaped, comforable, and supportive, though I noticed a slight difference in the width of the blostering, from front to back, that impacted a little on my rather large rump.

Overhead, a full-length power sunroof, with a sun-shade, covers both the front and rear seats, yet headroom is generally good both front and rear....as is legroom. Separate automatic climate controls (a $900) option, and vents for the rear line the back of the console. The front console has twin flip-up lids with good hardware locks (a weak point in many other vehicles). I didn't like the pull-up parking brake tab on the console; nor did I like the flimsy, awkwardly-designed electronic transmission-shifter (more on the shifter below). Visibility out the back, with the somewhat conservative roofline and C/D pillars, is generally good. The polished-wood trim on the dash, console, and door panels, with the chrome trim-strips, was, IMO, well-done, though not quite as well as on Audis and Jaguars. The round, twin-primary gauges are typical, superb, clear, easy-to-read BMW, and a vaccum-MPG gauge is included underneath to help keep tabs on the diesel's good mileage. I liked the looks of the typical three-spoke BMW steering wheel, but didn't like the hard, protruding, rough stitching on its Leatherette wrapping....it felt uncomfortable in my hand.

The stereo was a real killer; one of the best I've seen on a European-designed vehicle......classic KISS, with Gene Simmons doing "Calling Dr. Love", and Ace Frehley doing "Shock Me", hasn't sounded this good in awhile. Unfortunately, both the stereo, NAV, and some of the climate controls were hampered by the I-Drive ****, (which I have never liked) and quite complex.....I'd rather try and master nuclear physics than to fiddle around with that ****. Yes, I know that some of you like the I-Drive system and are used to it. Fine. I respect your opinions, but I have yet to see one in a BMW product that I liked (or a similiar Audi MMI). IMO, it vastly complicates what could be done much simpler...especally when you are trying to keep your eyes on the road. Like on some other BMWs, a cupholder pops out of the right-front dash, right next to the glovebox lid. The steering column has full-power adjustments for both tilt and telescope (I need it full-up to keep the steering-wheel rim from hiding some of the gauges). The turn-signal and cruise-control stalks, like on many German-designed cars, were both cheap, flimsy plastic that felt almost like they would break off in your hand, but, at least, they were not both mounted on the left side of the column, like on some VW and Mercedes products. That can cause confusion when you reach for one quickly. The turn-signal stalk had the typical-BMW feature where it flashed three times and quit unless you forced it down all the way. The headliner was generally OK, but the black sun visors both bad rough, hard, cheap-feeling material (an increasing peoblem with a number of manufacturers). However, nice vanity lights were provided.....but they were an unusual style. Instead of being mounted in the visors themselves, a push-button lights up a small light in the ceiling above the visor.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The rear hatch-lid is separated into two parts; an upper, power-operated, vertically-rising, conventional hatch, and a lower, pull-down-and-out clamshell-style panel that serves as a mini-tailgate for loading. The rather conservative, fairly high rear roofline, with its minimal slant-down, generally gives good cargo room, and, of course, the rear seats fold flat for more room if needed. A pass-through is provided in the rear seats for long, narrow items like skis or fishing poles, if the seats need to be kept up. I was impressed with the quality of the cargo area's fit-and finish. Durable materials and nice, plush, semi-soft-feeling carpet line both the walls and trunk floor. A power-plug is included on the right wall. Fold-out cargo hooks are built into both walls, with big, durable tie-down rings mounted on the floor as well. The run-flat tires mean, of course, that there is no temporary spare tire or compressed-air bottle to take up space, though I'd still rather see, especially at this price ($64,000), 4 conventional tires and a REAL spare. A nice, compartmented tray lies under the trunk floor, with some tools included, and cubby-compartments to store small items. A conventional pull-shade cover pulls back, hooks into the rear, and covers your gear in back from prying eyes.

ON THE ROAD:

Unless you have the optional BMW Comfort Access system, starting up (as on other BMWs) requires both a push button AND an ignition module stuck into the dash.....ditto for cutting the engine off. This is not just a diesel feature....many gas-engine BMWs are the same way. IMO, the single-step Access system should be standard....especially at this price.

Insert the module, however, into the dash slot, put your foot on the brake, push the START button, and you are instantly greeted with a REAL treat. Like I told you in the opening section above, this is a real honey of an engine....just like the also-superb Mercedes Bluetec diesel. To compare this diesel with the miserable auto diesels of 30 years ago is like trying to date a beautiful girl and a frog at the same time. This diesel, like the new Mercedes and WV diesels, starts up almost instantly, with no significant glow-plug warm-up time like years ago. And, instead of the pocka-pocka-pocka diesel idle of old, just a smooth, relatively quiet hum (that nice underhod insulation pad helps). I got out and stood behind the vehicle as it was idling, right at the exhaust pipe outlets, and couldn't smell any obnoxious diesel fumes or see any black smoke (that urea-injection really does its stuff). So, I got back in, buckled up, and took off for some MORE treats. Though this vehicle is no doubt heavy (over 5200 lbs, empty), the diesel's 425 ft-lbs. of torque and twin-turbos, at barely-above-idle RPM's, shot the X5 forward with a good shove right to your back. I didn't carry the RPM's above 4000-4500, as, One, it was a brand,new engine, and two, there was little need to...torque peak is at 1750-2250 RPM, and HP peak at a low 4500. Though, of course, I'm not a speed junkie by any means, THIS is the way I like an engine.......right-now, instant response, not a bunch of lag like on Honda/Toyota VTEC fours and some small turbos. Even under hard acceleration, there was little diesel noise or commotion under the hood. Folks, for those of you who have not tried out a new-genration diesel like this, be my guest. If the last one you tried was one from around 30 years ago (they have not been popular in the U.S. since then) you will be astounded at today's diesel technology.

The 6-speed automatic sport-shift transmission, though not bad at all, was not quite as impressive as the engine. It genereally shifted smoothly enough and had well-chosen ratios, but I thought, on my test car at least, that I detected occasional small flares on the 1-2 and 2-3 full-automatic shifts. That could be just a small sample problem with a slight lack of hydraulic pressure or electronic-shift monitoring inside the unit. Anyhow, it was a very small flare (maybe 100 RPM or so), was not obtrusive, did not happen continuously, and so I didn't list it as a complaint. Manual-mode shifts were smooth and almost as quick as the instantaneous ones I sampled a few weeks ago on the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track coupe.

I DID list the electronic shifter, however, on the console, as a complaint. I have not liked BMW electronic shifters on any model I've driven (lower-line BMW's generally don't have them), and the X5's is no exception. I didn't see any shift-paddles on the column (maybe (?) I just missed them), so all the manual-mode shifting was done with the lever. There are several things I don't like about the lever. First, it is made of thin, flimsy, silver-painted plastic, and feels like something out of a toy car. Second, the motions getting it into and out of "P" (Park) are awkward). Third, the motions getting it into and out of normal D (Drive) mode are awkward. Fourth, the side-buttons are needed, combined with other motions, for access to some gears...it's hard to remember which is which, especially for those like me who are used to more conventional shifters. Fifth, the (+) and (-) motions of the lever for manual up and down-shifting, like on Mazdas and some other BMW's, are opposite from most vehicles, so care must be taken to make sure you don't move it the wrong way, hit the wrong gear, and over-rev the engine or get a hard jolt (yes, I was careful not to do that). Again, like with I-Drive, there may be those of you who like the lever and how it works. Fine. I don't....but I respect your opinions.

The chassis is the typical superb BMW...few if any complaints. The power-steering feel is telepathic, solid, heavy...typical BMW, just the way like it, although the steering showed slightly slower response and a little more understeer than is typical of most BMWs, possibly because of the heavy vehicle weight. Handling was generally pretty good, especially for a big SUV this size, and body roll was noticeable, but very minor. Ride comfort, even with the Sport Package and low-profile aggressive tires, was not bad at all, even over bumps.....BMW, IMO, is one of the best manufacturers on the planet in getting a good ride/handling compromise, regardless of tires or suspension, though the M3, admittedly, is rather harsh. There was none of the usual porposing/fore-aft rocking motions often seen in SUVs. Road/tire noise, even with the Sport Package tires, was well-muted, regardless of the road surface, and wind noise was likewise well-muted, though not Lexus-quiet.

Brakes, typical of BMW and German-designed cars, were ultra-smooth, linear, almost instantaneous with virtually no sponginess, strong and effective considering the vehicle's heavy weight, but had a rather poorly-located pedal that did cause some hang-ups on the bottom of the pedal with my big size-15 clown-shoe going from gas to brake. However, since no manual transmission is offered on the X5 in the American market, this will not be a big deal with downshifting, since, obviously, no heel-and-toe motions will be needed for RPM-matching.

THE VERDICT:

For the most part, I liked this vehicle, and have a high opinion of it, though the awkward (IMO) design and use of several of the interior controls need some major improvement. The new-technology diesel engine, like the Mercedes Bluetec and VW TDI, is an absolute gem. It is space-efficient, with good room inside, has the typical BMW chassis/suspension/steering excellence, slick/smooth brakes, clear gauges, and good noise isolation. The traditionally snooty and aristocratic BMW dealerships also seem to be a thing of the past. Tax credits are available for the diesel....and, with the Stimulus Package that was just passed, auto-loan interest and auto-sales tax can be deducted now on Federal taxes like they once were; on any new car, not just an alternative-fuel one. BMW paint jobs seem to be getting better (now, let's see some real COLORS), and seat comfort is above-average.

But, there are some flies in the ointment as well. Even with tax credits, this is not a cheap vehicle. A 52K base price and 64-65K list is nothing to sneeze at, especially in these economic hard times. Low-sulfur diesel fuel, though giving good mileage, is still, in the American market, substantially more expensive than gasoline....and one must resist the temptation to use the cheaper diesel fuel that big trucks and trains use...it will mess up a new-technology auto diesel. Periodic urea-refills will be needed. BMWs, though improving in some reliability issues, are not known for defect-free manufacturing or electrical reliability. And, last, once the 4-year warranty and free maintenance is up, you can be looking at some expensive parts/service/repairs if needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also part of the review request was a quick 2009 X5 35d/ 2010 Lexus RX350 comparison, in one paragraph or less.

In general, I prefer the RX350, though, I admit, it's a tough choice between the two overall. The Lexus, IMO, with its superbly smooth drivetrain, refinement, quietness, longer warranty, more driver-friendly controls, and better reliability, would make a better daily driver, especially when you are tired and driving home after a hard day's work. Its steering feel, brakes, and ride/handling combination, though, can't match the X5's, and the X5's diesel clobbers the RX350 in low-RPM torque.

So.....in a word, the RX350 is the luxury vehicle; the X5 is the sport vehicle.
Old 03-25-09, 04:08 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EXCELLENT (as always ) review Mike!!

I noticed the minuses section was one of the shortest out of all the reviews you've done to date... a definte reflection of your liking this car/SUV!!!
Dipstick- is there none to be found? So is there a oil level gauge on the dash?

Curious- I read where the diesel has some off throttle lag once you clear 2500 rpms... did you experience this at all? Any performance degradation compared to X5 4.8?

As I like MMI, the iDrive will be a non-issue for me... I respect your observations on this and can understand it does take getting used to

Another good point is the comparison to the MB 320 Bluetec.. the Missus (as stated in another thread) would now prefer an SUV to a convertible, so I plan to drive these back-to-back when the time comes... I don't think we can go wrong with either!!!

Kudos, GREAT review!!
Old 03-25-09, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
EXCELLENT (as always ) review Mike!!

I noticed the minuses section was one of the shortest out of all the reviews you've done to date... a definte reflection of your liking this car/SUV!!!
Dipstick- is there none to be found? So is there a oil level gauge on the dash?

Curious- I read where the diesel has some off throttle lag once you clear 2500 rpms... did you experience this at all? Any performance degradation compared to X5 4.8?

As I like MMI, the iDrive will be a non-issue for me... I respect your observations on this and can understand it does take getting used to

Another good point is the comparison to the MB 320 Bluetec.. the Missus (as stated in another thread) would now prefer an SUV to a convertible, so I plan to drive these back-to-back when the time comes... I don't think we can go wrong with either!!!

Kudos, GREAT review!!
Thanks, Russ.

Some of the "Minus" issues, in this case, were related with things like the warranty, BMW marketing/pricing, dealer attitudes, expensive service, etc.....more than the actual physical vehicle itself. While some of that is changing, I felt I needed to list them because some BMW dealerships still live in the past, when they were the kings of the enthusiast-vehicle class and could treat potential customers pretty much like they wanted to. However, some of the option/package prices on BMW's, IMO, are still outrageous.

On the lack (?) of an oil dipstick, I don't remember seeing an oil-level gauge on the dash, but the oil-warning light usually takes care of that function. If oil level drops to the point where critical oil-pressure is reached (usually around 5 PSI), the warning light goes on. On some cars, that can happen while idling with a hot engine, even if the level is not critically low....the oil viscosity thins out so much from the heat that its pressure drops, even with an adequate level.

I didn't notice any significant lag at all, with this diesel, at any RPM short of the 4500 HP max I took it. Press the pedal down, and you GO. It's as simple as that. Sometimes, with twin turbos, you get minimal or no lag, because the programming in one turbo overlaps that of the other. In other words, Turbo A spins at low RPM all (or most of the time), needing minimal spool-up time. When you punch it, Turbo A provides almost instant boost while Turbo B is spooling up, so that when Turbo B is ready to go in a couple of seconds, it just adds to the power Turbo A is already producing....up to the safe limit of the engine, which is determined by the engineers. Any extra, over-boost goes out through what is called a wastegate, which is like letting steam out of a pressure-cooker.

If you can decipher I-Drive and MMI while driving safely and keeping your eyes on the road, more power to you. As far as I'm concerned, both systems s**k. And the X5's console shifter and double-stage ignition routine, IMO, s**k as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 05:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'm willing to bet most BMW buyers make too much money to be elgible for the tax credit. Just like most Lexus buyers were for the hybrids. Stupid government.
Old 03-25-09, 05:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review as usual Mike.

This X5 is certainly a great driving vehicle. My only issues are that compared to a ML 320 Bluetec or an RX 450h it seems very overpriced. The other concern is of course first year model reliability for this new SUV. My father rolled the dice on the original X5 when it first came out and crapped out.

His newer gen has been much better but still only average as far as reliability. They are, imho, the best driving SUV's out there....BUT is the premium price and unknowns worth it?

P.S. I didn't see any mention of the available third row seats....but they are useless.
Old 03-25-09, 05:39 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
This X5 is certainly a great driving vehicle. My only issues are that compared to a ML 320 Bluetec or an RX 450h it seems very overpriced. The other concern is of course first year model reliability for this new SUV. My father rolled the dice on the original X5 when it first came out and crapped out.
MMmm Hmmmm. My dad turns in his 330 in may after a 3 year lease. Fun car, but good riddens.
Old 03-25-09, 05:40 PM
Lexwang07

Why you care about under hood layout so much? I don't get it. Tell me why? Care so much. Give bad rating under hood layout.
Old 03-25-09, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'm willing to bet most BMW buyers make too much money to be elgible for the tax credit. Just like most Lexus buyers were for the hybrids. Stupid government.
As far as being able to deduct the sales tax and auto-loan interest on your Federal return goes, the way I understand it, there is no income or sales limit for it....that took effect with the stimulus bill just passed. Whatever the sales tax is (which of course, varies by state...in MD where you are, I think it is 5%), it can be deducted, no matter how much you make, or what you paid for the car. Same with the auto-loan interest. It's like the mortgage or home-equit-loan deduction.....there aren't any limits to it.

Now, with the Federal (and state) tax credits for a alternate-fuel (diesel) vehicle purchase, that may (?), as you note, be a different matter, depending on where you live and/or how much you make.
Old 03-25-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Great review as usual Mike.
Thanks.

I agree it is borderline overpriced...but, for a number of reasons, BMW has traditionally been able to soak their customers and get away with it.

Did your dad have one of the early X5s with the defective cooling-fan switch? Those cars were (or could be) bad news.

His newer gen has been much better but still only average as far as reliability. They are, imho, the best driving SUV's out there....BUT is the premium price and unknowns worth it?
Yes, correct. Consumer Reports gives it average to worse-than-average reliability, depending on the year. I wouldn't pay 60K+ for it, but BMW enthusiasts are a loyal breed.

P.S. I didn't see any mention of the available third row seats....but they are useless.
Yes, you're right. My test vehicle didn't have them. In this size SUV, though it is not a small vehicle by any means, there probably isn't enough room back for a reasonably-sized third-seat, even for small adults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
Why you care about under hood layout so much? I don't get it.
The reason you don't get it is that, like a number of people, you probably just want to put fuel into your vehicle and go, and don't care about doing anything else by yourself under the hood. Not everyone is like that. They will respect your opinion, but you need to respect theirs as well.

However, in this case, BMW picks up 4-year free servicing for you, but only a limited amount. Some vehicles, with severe and demanding driving conditions, (and traffic jams and stop and go driving are considered "severe" service), need more-than-average fluid/filter changes.

Tell me why? Care so much. Give bad rating under hood layout.
I didn't give it a terribly "bad" rating. I said that, IMO, the basic underhood layout was OK, but not particularly good for do-it-yourselfers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-09 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 06:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
Why you care about under hood layout so much? I don't get it. Tell me why? Care so much. Give bad rating under hood layout.
Some people like to work on cars themselves. Plus if it breaks down it's nice to be able to fix it/check on yourself.
Old 03-25-09, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
MMmm Hmmmm. My dad turns in his 330 in may after a 3 year lease. Fun car, but good riddens.
He may (?) have a hard time, though not impossible, getting a lease on another one. A lot of manufacturers have cut WAY back on the number of cars they will lease....and for how much. BMW, especially, has had a lot of leases in the past, and lost money on a lot of them as well.
Old 03-25-09, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Some people like to work on cars themselves. Plus if it breaks down it's nice to be able to fix it/check on yourself.
Making engine repairs can be quite difficult and complex on today's engines, even WITH service-friendly underhood compartments, but it's nice to have a simple enough layout and room enough to access things so that you at least can do simple stuff like fluid/filter changes, battery replacements, and (maybe) spark plugs.
Old 03-25-09, 06:47 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He may (?) have a hard time, though not impossible, getting a lease on another one. A lot of manufacturers have cut WAY back on the number of cars they will lease....and for how much. BMW, especially, has had a lot of leases in the past, and lost money on a lot of them as well.
At least up here, BMW, MB and Lexus are all interested in offering competitive lease rates. The rates have dropped significantly and I imagine will continue to be aggressive for the next few months.

We were quite shocked that Lexus was offering 3.9% on the brand new '10 RX and that MB had matched that with their new ML Bluetec.

The sales guys are eager to move vehicles and leasing doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel