Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Readies Direct Injection for M37 and G37, Unsure About New Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 04:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Infiniti Readies Direct Injection for M37 and G37, Unsure About New Q

Infiniti Readies Direct Injection for M37 and G37, Unsure About New Q
The windblown puddle of mercury known as the Infiniti Essence concept car shown at this year's Geneva show tells volumes about where Nissan's luxury division is headed both stylistically and technically. The twin-turbo 3.7-liter direct injection V-6 in the Essence will debut, sans turbos, in the redesigned M sedan due in early 2010, making about 340–350 hp. The complex direct-injection technology, in which fuel is injected directly into the cylinder rather than in the intake ports as is more common, most likely will also make its way into the G37 coupe and sedan as mid-cycle upgrades before the cars are completely redesigned in about three years. Besides making more power, gasoline direct-injection technology is also needed to meet tightening emissions and fuel-economy regulations around the world.

Where’s the Q?

As yet, Nissan remains unsure whether to replace Infiniti’s former flagship, the Q45. Infiniti's U.S. office wants a $70,000–$80,000 car to seal its position as an aspirational luxury performance brand against Lexus, BMW, and Audi. The idea is being explored; recently, dealers from around the world visiting Japan went wild when shown a Q concept which was basically a four-door extrapolation of the fabulous Essence show car.

But Larry Dominique, Infiniti's vice president of product planning for the U.S., says he wants to see how the economy shapes up before he decides for certain whether to invest in the project. And he has other priorities for the division's limited resources. Mainly, he says, the division needs to keep its bread-and-butter products fresh, namely the 10Best-winning G and the M. The company also has a replacement for the QX56 sport-utility in the works, which will debut after the redesigned Nissan Armada probably later in 2010. Both trucks will be built in Japan on a traditional ladder frame shared with a new Nissan Patrol, which remains for overseas markets only.

New M on the Way

The new M will be shown in sketch form in August and in the metal late in the year or early in 2010. Infiniti isn't quite sure where to pull the sheet off the car as nobody is sure how long Nissan will abstain from the international auto show circuit. If the cost-cutting ban holds through the end of the year, the M may get revealed at a special event or some other as-yet-undetermined venue. Expect a vastly upgraded interior (one of the shortcomings of the previous car) and the new direct-injected 3.7-liter V-6. The twin-turbo direct-injection 3.7 in the Essence could be adopted down the line as a performance upgrade, but at the moment it is just show-car fantasizing. Nissan is hard at work developing a new V-8 as the performance option in the near term.

A Single V-8 Family

Nissan wants to cut its V-8 families from two to one, so the new passenger car V-8 will be shared with the truck line. A V-8 using the new direct-injection technology is in the works but it won't be in the new M at launch, and will most likely never appear in the G. It may show up later in a Q45 replacement, if there is one, or as a mid-cycle upgrade to the M sedan. Currently Nissan offers three V-8s, including a 4.5-liter and 5.0-liter on the same block and the 5.6-liter in Nissan's truck lineup, which uses a different block. For the time being, the new M will likely get the 5.0-liter, currently used in the FX50 crossover. Dominique says that as the current flagship, the M can't have fewer horsepower than the FX.

In other Nissan news, truck production is being moved out of Canton, Mississippi. The plant will build cars and the new LCV (Light Commercial Vehicle), a small delivery van for commercial markets. As mentioned, Armada and QX production migrate to Japan to share the Patrol frame, while the Nissan Titan pickup moves to Mexico to share the platform of the Dodge Ram. That is, if Nissan and Chrysler can agree on terms. So far the deal still isn't signed and sealed. Nobody we spoke to at Nissan would comment on it further except to say that it has nothing to do with Chrysler's recently announced engagement to Italy's Fiat. Most likely, the Titan/Ram joint venture is ensnared in complications arising from the federal bailout of Chrysler.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...new_q_car_news
Old 03-18-09, 06:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 Things:

1) I thought the new G 37 sedan already had a direct injected version of the 3.7L V6?

2) Since when is the interior of the current M considered a shortcoming? It's one of the best in class, IMO.

Old 03-18-09, 06:29 PM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
2 Things:

1) I thought the new G 37 sedan already had a direct injected version of the 3.7L V6?

2) Since when is the interior of the current M considered a shortcoming? It's one of the best in class, IMO.
The new FX and EX have really superbly crafted interiors.
The M is pretty good, but the G is just average, the QX is subpar.
The new M should be spectacular if they keep things up.

Old 03-18-09, 06:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Only thing I don't like about the M interior (and Infiniti interiors in general) is the placement of the ****. A bit too high for my tastes.
Old 03-18-09, 06:45 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

2 Things:

infiniti's website does specify if the 3.7 has direct injection, but i'm thinking it doesn't. but it's about time, the technology has been out for quite awhile. on another note i do like the interior.
Old 03-18-09, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Infiniti needs to work on the details. The performance of their cars easily outdoes the standard cars from Lexus. They just ned to nail the details. If they get the reliability ranking way up I may consider another infiniti in the future.
Old 03-18-09, 10:59 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

1) I thought the new G 37 sedan already had a direct injected version of the 3.7L V6? [/IMG]
Direct injection is really the only thing the VQ needs. A VQ37VHR with VVEL and D.I sounds great.
Originally Posted by R1R
Completely agree on the FX & EX interiors. When I sat in the showroom models, I was blown away at the quality, details, and overall layout of the interior. Everything was smooth and pleasant and very classy.

The current G & M have great interiors. But if they were to bump them up to the level of the EX/FX, that would really be the finishing touch.
Old 03-19-09, 07:20 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R1R

Which interior is that above??? Looks very well made
Old 03-19-09, 07:22 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Which interior is that above??? Looks very well made
It's the FX.
Old 03-19-09, 07:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, Infiniti is moving ahead....
Old 03-19-09, 11:27 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to a car show in January and took a look at the FX and have to say that I was fairly impressed with the interior. My g/f had a G coupe in the past so I was not expecting much when I looked inside the 2009 FX but it's really quite a difference overall. I dont really recall what the interiors were like in previous models even though I did drive an '05 FX45 once.
Old 03-19-09, 11:40 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Agreed, the EX and FX interiors are really pushing Infiniti into the lead as far as interior design goes. Exciting, beautiful designs with top-notch quality. It can only get better from here. The M interior was and still is one of the better interior designs in its class, let down by a few cheap materials. The next-gen M should be even better!
Old 03-21-09, 02:41 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

ashame VVEL came first. but eventually DI + VVEL should be quite nice.
Old 03-21-09, 09:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the q45 looks like a hot essence sedan, I'll be drooling all over it.

i don't see why carmakers can't be more creative with the sheetmetal.
Old 03-22-09, 02:05 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if the q45 looks like a hot essence sedan, I'll be drooling all over it.

i don't see why carmakers can't be more creative with the sheetmetal.
Their new designs are definitely eye-catching, classy, and appealing, IMO. Infiniti seems to be doing all the right things lately, but I really think they should drop both the Q & QX names from their future lineups. Both to some extent have been considered failures and to bring back names that will only serve to bring back bittersweet memories for the brand is not in their best interests. Since 2003, they have re-established themselves in the luxury class of cars and there's no need for them to go backwards and try to recreate new versions of models that have mixed/bad past reputations.

This is what Infiniti should do, IMO:

1. Create a luxury coupe supercar to form a halo over the brand and have that serve as the company's flagship. They already have the platform in the GT-R and they should create their own version using top of the line features and the highest quality materials. They can easily do this - the Essence Concept could/should be this car.

2. Create an M Coupe. Lexus isn't doing this and neither is Acura. An A5/6 Series/CLK competitor is a way for Infiniti to compete one on one with the Germans and help to distinguish themselves even further from the other two Japanese luxury brands.

3. Create a sub-entry level sedan & coupe below the G. The G sedan is already larger than anything else in its class and a smaller, lighter, more compact sedan priced at around 27-29k would bring in more sales & more profits. Offer two engine choices - the 3.7VQ and a smaller more efficient 2.5 liter (or perhaps even a turbo inline 4 to compete with the Gen Coupe).

4. Offer hybrid/EV options on the G, M, & sub-entry level vehicles.

Lesser important things for them to focus on in the future:

5. Create a new full size sedan to compete with the 7 Series. It doesn't have to be an LS clone or try to be anything but a full sized, high quality, stylish, luxury sedan with top features and high quality materials. Offer the 5.0 as the only engine choice and use a different name other than "Q".

6. Create a performance line (ala AMG, M, F) and offer high performance versions across their entire lineup.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Readies Direct Injection for M37 and G37, Unsure About New Q