Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Coupe vs. 370Z and Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 04:43 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis Coupe vs. 370Z and Ford Mustang

After all this Genesis verses G37 nonsense comes a much more realistic and relevant comparison. Genesis Vs. 370Z and Mustang

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track: Mustang Fighter or Cut-price Nissan 370Z?
How Hyundai's Sporty Two Door Measures Up Against Its Closest Competitors

We've driven Hyundai's V-6 Genesis Coupe, and it's a pretty solid effort. There are some things we'd like improved, like the rubbery shift of the six speed manual transmission, the slightly gluey steering, and the somewhat subdued feel of the 306 horses under the hood. But for the money -- just $30,250 for the loaded Track version, Brembo brakes and all -- it's an honest, fun drive.

With sporty looks, solid performance, and value pricing, the Genesis Coupe follows a tried and true formula, one that was first nailed by the original Ford Mustang, and later successfully aped by Nissan's Z-cars. Both the Mustang and the Z have changed over the decades, each going through its lost, Elvis-in-Vegas years, getting fat, slow and soft. But the 2010 Mustang GT and Nissan 370Z are cars that successfully channel the DNA of their original ancestors.

Which got us thinking: where does the Genesis Coupe fit? Is it a Mustang fighter, or a cut-price 370Z?

Complete article
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...70z/index.html
Old 03-13-09, 05:22 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

very good first effort by hundai. hanging there with the veterans ford and nissan.
Old 03-13-09, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
After all this Genesis verses G37 nonsense comes a much more realistic and relevant comparison. Genesis Vs. 370Z and Mustang
Call it nonsense if you want...but I reviewed and compared the Genesis 3.8 Track and G37 Coupe AT CL MEMBER REQUEST....as most of my reviews are done. (I also reviewed the 370Z by request, but no one asked for a direct comparison).

I would have done the same for you (as is my policy), or for any other CL member, if you had asked for it.

We've driven Hyundai's V-6 Genesis Coupe, and it's a pretty solid effort. There are some things we'd like improved, like the rubbery shift of the six speed manual transmission, the slightly gluey steering, and the somewhat subdued feel of the 306 horses under the hood. But for the money -- just $30,250 for the loaded Track version, Brembo brakes and all -- it's an honest, fun drive.
An honest, fun drive it is. I can't comment on the manual....my test car was an automatic. But the automatic, lever or paddle, shifts virtually instantaneous.

With sporty looks, solid performance, and value pricing, the Genesis Coupe follows a tried and true formula, one that was first nailed by the original Ford Mustang, and later successfully aped by Nissan's Z-cars. Both the Mustang and the Z have changed over the decades, each going through its lost, Elvis-in-Vegas years, getting fat, slow and soft. But the 2010 Mustang GT and Nissan 370Z are cars that successfully channel the DNA of their original ancestors.

Which got us thinking: where does the Genesis Coupe fit? Is it a Mustang fighter, or a cut-price 370Z?
The Genesis drives more like the 370Z (and actually beats it in some categories), but in general layout, with the 2+2 configuration, it is more like the Mustang inside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A generally good comparison. I haven't driven the new 2010 Mustang, but did a review on the last-generation GT a couple of years ago.

I agree with most of their conclusions, but not all of them. I found the Genesis steering very BMW-like, with a fair amount of heft, but not quite as telepathic. The 370Z and G37 coupe I reviewed (both with the VQ 3.7) also felt a little sluggish at low RPM's (under 4000). But many of their other comments were right on.

I also, of course, did not drive them under track conditions like they did, either. My reviews are done on public roads, though I do some fairly aggressive acceleration, handling and braking to see what the cars are generally capable of.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 06:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Call it nonsense if you want...but I take offense at your comments. I reviewed and compared the Genesis 3.8 Track and G37 Coupe AT CL MEMBER REQUEST....as most of my reviews are done. (I also reviewed the 370Z by request, but no one asked for a direct comparison).

I would have done the same for you (as is my policy), or for any other CL member, if you had asked it.

MMarshall. You got it all wrong. It's nothing personal against you. I've always appreciated your professional-quality reviews and will continue to do so. At the same time I've also been outspoken about the Genesis being compared to the G37 universally. It's being done all over the web and in auto journals but I don't think they are real competitors. So my comment above is about the very idea of comparing them (something everyone seems to want to do) since, as this article shows, there are numerous other vehicles which truly are the Genesis' competitors.

So no hard feelings.
Old 03-13-09, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
MMarshall. You got it all wrong. It's nothing personal against you. I've always appreciated your professional-quality reviews and will continue to do so. At the same time I've also been outspoken about the Genesis being compared to the G37 universally. It's being done all over the web and in auto journals but I don't think they are real competitors. So my comment above is about the very idea of comparing them (something everyone seems to want to do) since, as this article shows, there are numerous other vehicles which truly are the Genesis' competitors.

So no hard feelings.
OK, Fine. Likewise.

I also realize my first response was a little harsh....I removed part of it.

One of the reasons that many auto journalists feel the Genesis was closer to the G37 Coupe than to the 370Z (and MT also felt this way in the article you posted) is because of the 2+2 configuration the Genesis and G37 share, and the fact that neither is designed, like the 370Z, to be a hard-edged sports car, though the Genesis, to an extent, drives like one. However, you do have one point.....and I agree, a valid one. There is a big difference between the G37 and Genesis, price-wise, which shows up primarily in the interior and hardware, where the Genesis, in comparison, does show some cost-cutting. Hyundai put most of the money into the chassis and drivetrain (the stuff under the skin), and didn't seem to have a whole lot left over for the skin itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-09 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 07:25 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...grand-touring/

marshall, you weren't alone about bmw steering feel.

The biggest surprise in this entire package: the Genesis Coupe’s steering. While the Europeans seem to favor lighter and lighter steering feel (to disguise their model’s increasingly obese if safety-oriented curb weight), the Genesis feels perfectly weighted and precise. BMW’s M3—yes, that one—should take lessons from the Genesis Coupe’s steering rack. It serves-up Porsche-level feel, with just a tad less precision.
Old 03-13-09, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...grand-touring/

marshall, you weren't alone about bmw steering feel.

The biggest surprise in this entire package: the Genesis Coupe’s steering. While the Europeans seem to favor lighter and lighter steering feel (to disguise their model’s increasingly obese if safety-oriented curb weight), the Genesis feels perfectly weighted and precise. BMW’s M3—yes, that one—should take lessons from the Genesis Coupe’s steering rack. It serves-up Porsche-level feel, with just a tad less precision.
Yes, I agree, but Motor Trend, however, in their article, didn't care for the Genesis's steering, and, while I don't agree with their finding, I respect their opinion.
Old 03-15-09, 11:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

for 30k I think many younger buyer will take advantage of the great features, power, performance, and great looks. 30K price tag and the Hyundai assurance plus plan........ seems a no brainer for most younger buyers
Attached Thumbnails Genesis Coupe vs. 370Z and Ford Mustang-dsc05291.jpg  
Old 03-15-09, 11:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

not a bad looking crew
Attached Thumbnails Genesis Coupe vs. 370Z and Ford Mustang-dsc05232.jpg  
Old 03-16-09, 02:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of MT's more interesting comparisons.
Old 03-16-09, 02:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

IMO the main reason the Gen Coupe and the G37 are so closely compared is because they look so much alike...
Old 03-16-09, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
Ya know what? I think you'll be better off with an AUTO Genesis Coupe Track edition than the Manual version. Not only is the Auto version quicker in the 0-60 and the quarter mile, the Sport Shift is insanely quick. THAT impressed me. Since it can upshift or downshift with no lags the AUTO tranny version maybe a better candidate.

I thought I heard that the AUTO version has closer gear ratios, but I'm not 100% positive. What's also funny is that the AUTO version weighs less than the Manual version.

Glad to hear that the steering is better than the BMW M3. Hyundai has done something impressive here. They are actually making the car real good performer.
I won't go so far as to say that the steering is better than and M3, but, in my experience, it is one of the best power-steering units this side of the blue-and-white propeller.
Old 03-16-09, 02:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
IMO the main reason the Gen Coupe and the G37 are so closely compared is because they look so much alike...
Although I am never a fan of the G37coupe's design compared to the G35coupe, when I finally saw the Genesis coupe in person last week, I find the front end of the Genesis coupe to be fugly, even worse than in pictures, & that alone could be the deal breaker for me ...
Old 03-16-09, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Although I am never a fan of the G37coupe's design compared to the G35coupe, when I finally saw the Genesis coupe in person last week, I find the front end of the Genesis coupe to be fugly, even worse than in pictures, & that alone could be the deal breaker for me ...
Ugly or not, did you DRIVE one, Andrew? If you are used to an LS460's magic-carpet ride/noise level (as I suspect), you will find the 3.8 Track's ride and chassis quite stiff in comparison, but, man, is this car responsive.