Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

top gear: m3 vs is-f

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 11:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default top gear: m3 vs is-f

tried to search but don't see anything, i found this video of m3 vs is-f from top gear by clarkson. pretty interesting. agree with most part (my opinion) but don't really agree on some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okYc...layer_embedded
Old 03-07-09, 12:24 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet another European journalist who hates anything from Japan and strokes BMW's like he's a 12 year old boy looking at a Penthouse magazine

Hey Jeremy the exhaust tips aren't fake, they are real exhaust tips that just aren't connected much like the Audi R8 and Lambo Murcielago, and act as a diffuser when your precious M3 quits at 155 and the IS-F keeps pushing to 170+ mph.

Hey Jeremy learn how to *****ing drive, I've gone against a new M3 stop light to stop light and was never beat............NEVER!

The reason why the new M3 killed you around the track was because you're a miserable driver! Even the boneheads over at 5th gear could stay within one tenth of a second around their track.....and they are worse drivers than you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDL5hiEMto

And the transmission doesn't have to make up its mind instead of you, that's what manual mode is for you pathetic excuse for a journalist. You don't use all 8 gears on the track in manual, only cruising on the freeway where you average 29 mpg on long distance road trips avoiding the dreaded gas guzzler tax (only car in class not implementing the tax). The title of this thread should be unless your car is a BMW don't even bother going out in public because your car sucks!

Other than that I thought it was riveting journalism. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by 8speed; 03-07-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 12:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

???

He's very fond of many Japanese cars and he use to criticize BMWs and their drivers. His M5 reviews are the same.

Jeremy makes many valid point and many comments that pisses people off are for entertainment.
Old 03-07-09, 12:52 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Yet another European journalist who hates anything from Japan and strokes BMW's like he's a 12 year old boy looking at a Penthouse magazine

Hey Jeremy the exhaust tips aren't fake, they are real exhaust tips that just aren't connected much like the Audi R8 and Lambo Murcielago, and act as a diffuser when your precious M3 quits at 155 and the IS-F keeps pushing to 170+ mph.

Hey Jeremy learn how to *****ing drive, I've gone against a new M3 stop light to stop light and was never beat............NEVER!

The reason why the new M3 killed you around the track was because you're a miserable driver! Even the boneheads over at 5th gear could stay within one tenth of a second around their track.....and they are worse drivers than you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDL5hiEMto

And the transmission doesn't have to make up its mind instead of you, that's what manual mode is for you pathetic excuse for a journalist. You don't use all 8 gears on the track in manual, only cruising on the freeway where you average 29 mpg on long distance road trips avoiding the dreaded gas guzzler tax (only car in class not implementing the tax). The title of this thread should be unless your car is a BMW don't even bother going out in public because your car sucks!

Other than that I thought it was riveting journalism. Thanks for sharing
I dont know how to reply to what you said you will be flamed by other users.
just a few points.
-You are acting like a typical lexus fanboy
- M3 is the best over all package
- Not going to argue no need for more infractions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzVv...eature=channel
Old 03-07-09, 01:01 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
just a few points.

-You are acting like a typical bmw fanboy
-you feel m3 is best over all package, others don't. me? i decided to go with isf after having my 2002 e46 m3 engine blow up.
-not goign to argue no need for more infractions
Old 03-07-09, 01:13 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
just a few points.

My post was meant to be tongue and cheek....you obviously didn't get it

And what exactly are you trying to prove with your video link? Motor Trend is a joke (unless you are in love with Z06's) and the driver wasn't even using the paddle shifters and had the car in full auto (just look at his hand at the end of the video, he goes to move the shift **** back to auto from manual and it doesn't move because it's already in full auto!) Fail

And how are IS-F owners who love their cars fanboys when they are defending their cars on a Lexus car forum?

Last edited by 8speed; 03-07-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 01:23 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by f=ma
-You are acting like a typical bmw fanboy
-you feel m3 is best over all package, others don't. me? i decided to go with isf after having my 2002 e46 m3 engine blow up.
-not goign to argue no need for more infractions
+1

That guy doesn't own either of these cars let alone driven any of them and obviously loves bench racing and inane auto journalists. How else could he surmise that the M3 is the best all around package? If only I could live vicariously through auto journalists...........I would never need to buy another car
Old 03-07-09, 01:41 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

why are we arguing over something that is really really old?
Old 03-07-09, 01:45 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I loved the episode! What Clarkson said about BMW drivers, lexus drivers and MB drivers were really funny

Although he believes the M3 is a tad better still, he did say the IS-F was a beast since its lexus's first attempt to enter this market. he also mentioned the 2IS looks better then the IS-F
Old 03-07-09, 01:57 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
why are we arguing over something that is really really old?
Because that's what we do in here..........regurgitate old material becaue we have nothing better to talk about!

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I loved the episode! What Clarkson said about BMW drivers, lexus drivers and MB drivers were really funny

Although he believes the M3 is a tad better still, he did say the IS-F was a beast since its lexus's first attempt to enter this market. he also mentioned the 2IS looks better then the IS-F

That's because the IS-F looks like a pregnant sperm whale with retarded exhaust tips and fake intake vents on the 1/4 panel

I once dated a marine biologist so that's what attracted me to my overpriced Toyota Prius
Old 03-07-09, 02:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

geeze, this video crops up ever few months with the same type of replys.

I have no idea why it is so hard for some to fathom that, perhaps the Lexus actually isn't the best car in this segment. Every reviewer that even subtly calls out the IS-F is deemed "crap", "garbage", "nonsense". What happened to judging a car on a point for point basis? The BMW drives better through the curves and has a better ride/handing compromise. Why so many cannot grasp this and continue to argue that it's untrue is beyond me.

There's a difference between presenting an opinion and trying to justify a huge purchase. Just get over it, people will disagree. Calling eachother fanboys leads absolutely nowhere.
Old 03-07-09, 03:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
geeze, this video crops up ever few months with the same type of replys.

I have no idea why it is so hard for some to fathom that, perhaps the Lexus actually isn't the best car in this segment. Every reviewer that even subtly calls out the IS-F is deemed "crap", "garbage", "nonsense". What happened to judging a car on a point for point basis? The BMW drives better through the curves and has a better ride/handing compromise. Why so many cannot grasp this and continue to argue that it's untrue is beyond me.

There's a difference between presenting an opinion and trying to justify a huge purchase. Just get over it, people will disagree. Calling eachother fanboys leads absolutely nowhere.
Coming from the resident Accord/Passat driving, VW leg humper this post doesn't mean alot.

I'm curious where in this thread anyone stated that the F was the better car. "Better" is an awfully subjective comment. The posted times of professional drivers are close enough that in reality....that's right...out on the street or the track...it is a complete driver's race.

I'm guessing that I will roast just as many M3 drivers as I will lose to. It all comes down to driver skill when they are this close.

Typical on here to listen to posters who don't own any of the cars in this class to spout their baseless opinions.
Old 03-07-09, 03:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't think he doesn't like it, i just think he likes the M3 better, nothing wrong with that. People should just be happy the germans actually look at the is-f as actual competition. For it's first time, Lexus did a great job
Old 03-07-09, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

"your children can have their spleens crushed too in this 4 door version" lol
Old 03-07-09, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I've reviewed and driven both cars myself, though not quite under the conditions that Clarkson did. I found neither engine particularly responsive at lower RPMs, both needing 3600-4000 RPM to really start to feel some grunt....part of that is the extremely high redline of the M3. The M3, though stiff, has the better chassis, more fluid steering/handling, and a more civilized ride over bumps, where the IS-F is quite harsh (sorry, CDROCKIES, I have to call that one like I saw it). The IS-F easily trumps the M3 in fit/finish and build quality......the M3 I looked at had several significant assembly goofs, and one that prevented the power seat controls from working properly. I also agree with the earlier comments about the IS-F being ugly; I thought its front-end styling, in particular, was awkward-looking.

For general street use, though, I like the way the BMW 335i drives, better than either the M3 (which would probabaly be better on a track) or the IS-F. If for no other reason, The 335i's torque not only eclipses the M3's 305 to 295, but it is also noticeably more responsive at lower RPM's. The 335i I drove, with options and the Sport Package, also listed for only 47K, far berlow either the M3 or IS-F.

Quick Reply: top gear: m3 vs is-f