Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 10:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx

hyundai's warranty
Old 03-05-09, 10:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
i'll be waiting for that comparo!
btw, do you subscribe to C&D or R&T? IMHO, it's cheap and it's worth it.
Old 03-05-09, 10:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

cool review. I think its a great car for a first generation vehicle. Damn good design, features, power, and safety
Old 03-05-09, 11:11 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, do you subscribe to C&D or R&T? IMHO, it's cheap and it's worth it.
i've already read those reviews! now i want to know what's his take on gen coupe vs. G37coupe. it's gonna be interesting.
Old 03-06-09, 03:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Knowing Mike's taste, he's dead on from what I've seen. For me, the Touring isn't the Track version. Again, once one arrives here, I'll give it a spin

Great job Mike!
Old 03-06-09, 05:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
thank you very much
Sure. Anytime.
Old 03-06-09, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
That website (apparantly) only tells part of the story. I've shopped for Hyundais before (helping other people by new ones...not for myself), and the dealerships say that the warranty, as a whole, is only transferable, upon resale, to the immediate family (mother, brother, sister, father, etc...), and that the 10/100 part on the drivetrain only applied to Hyundai-designed parts. The non-Hyundai (or supplier) sourced parts in the drivetrain have the same 5/60 as the rest of the car.

Now, of course, that's what the company said the last time I bought a new Hyundai with someone.....a little while ago. It may have recently changed again, with the drop-off in sales with the recession. If so, then it may be an even better deal.
Old 03-06-09, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Knowing Mike's taste, he's dead on from what I've seen. For me, the Touring isn't the Track version. Again, once one arrives here, I'll give it a spin

Great job Mike!
Thanks, Russ.

What's the latest prospect, now, in your own car shopping?
Have you driven a BMW 335i? That car, IMO, is a drivers' delight, and it has, I believe, an xi AWD option for those six-month-long WI winters. The Genesis Coupe (also a drivers' delight) comes close in roadability, but lacks AWD...it is better off in the garage when the snow hits.
Old 03-06-09, 06:13 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Russ.

What's the latest prospect, now, in your own car shopping?
Have you driven a BMW 335i? That car, IMO, is a drivers' delight, and it has, I believe, an xi AWD option for those six-month-long WI winters. The Genesis Coupe (also a drivers' delight) comes close in roadability, but lacks AWD...it is better off in the garage when the snow hits.
335ix is leading candidate again, most specifically because of the long winters as mentioned... but Vette's peaking back see my GM story post...

Also, since I'm pretty confident where GM is heading (Chpt 11), the Tahoe is getting a serious look, ESPECIALLY in light of the savings right now... see same post

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-06-09 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
First of all, thank you for the excellent review. I highly appreciate it, mmarshall.
Sure. Anytime.

I thought so. Good to hear. Do you hear this? our member Bean?
Bean is at least partly correct, in that DID take Hyundai a while to put some power into their rather wimpy engines....their HP/torque figures did seem a little overrated. They also lagged behind somewhat in gas mileage, too, despite the low power. But those days are gone now.....as I indicated in my answer to his post above. Hyundai does engines now that are fully competitive in both power and gas mileage.

I love this part... That was so well put.
Thanks. I have to call it like I see it.

After reading your review, we can see that the Genesis Coupe out-handles the G37 in the track. This car is more of a 370z, 135i, 335i competitor in the tracks. That is how I picture it. But the G37 is indeed better in luxury features, fit and finish and overall refinement.
The G37 Coupe also costs more. But, on a track, I don't know if the Genesis coupe will outhandle the G37 or not. First, I haven't driven a G37 (I plan to, at joe80's request), only older G35's. Second, I drove the Genesis on the street, not on a track, but I gave it a good enough test to get a good idea of its power, braking, and handling capabilities. And they are indeed good.

I'm very happy to hear that the transmission and Sport Shifting is sooooooooo good. Sounds like it's as fast as the shifter on the IS-F, speaking of virtually no delay.
Yes, using the ZF transmission's paddles is like flicking a light switch on and off, but that is negated somewhat by their awkward design and mounting.

I also read that the body structural strength is about 45% more than the E46 M3. So this car not only performs and handles very well but it is strong like ox.... I bet the crash testing will turn out very good too.
No question about it. The 3.8 Track's chassis is superb, at least under the conditions I drove it.

Bottom line, I am really surprised.
I wasn't.....until I started it up and took off. THEN I was surprised.
Old 03-07-09, 04:17 PM
ConceptVBS

Originally Posted by meowCat
I also read that the body structural strength is about 45% more than the E46 M3.
It's actually 24%. Although 24% more rigid body strength than an E46 M3 is quite impressive nonetheless.

Old 03-07-09, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Torsen Limited-Slip Differential for enhanced acceleration and cornering dynamics
Only the 2.0T and 3.8 Track models get the Torsen.