Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Lexus RX 450h Makes 30 MPG Combined

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 11:21 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
Gee it really is amazing how many guys loving being so b!t@chy with each other over something as trivial as diesel vs hybrid. They are both great technologies. And, as a consumer, I like being able to look at both. Diesels haven't done well here but they do very well in Europe. Now before anyone feels like pointing out that hybrids aren't exactly available in large quantities in Europe, save the bandwidth. I acknowledge your mental superiority in stating the obvious. And just as hybrids aren't flooding europe, diesels haven't exactly been flooding the US market.

Looking at one of the recent car mags that had the 335d run up to 55K in price, I don't think they will get much traction here. Note to the hybrid fanboys, here in Cali, diesel is now at or lower than regular. $2.07 or less for diesel which is right there with regular and 20 cents or so cheaper a gallon less than premium. But one of the additional problems with diesel is that it should cost less than petrol, but it rarely does here in the US. Now, back to the ranting.
+1

Great post Ron.

I agree with you that it is nice to have choices. I never stated that one technology was better than the other, only that current gen diesels have made great strides. Diesel is currently about 88 cents per gallon less up here right now.

And to Nextourer....damn skippy....we make it so it should be cheaper here.
Old 03-10-09, 11:30 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
show me a modern diesel that disproves what i just said.
Let's take a 2009Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Quieter than a Hybrid? Well I guess not, there's a motor that's always running.

Cleaner? Let's look at facts:

CO2: (ton/yr @ 15,000 mi/yr):
TDI @33mpg: --- 6.4 -- EPA 29/40
TDI @40mpg: --- 5.3 -- AMCI 38/44
Jetta 5 cyl: -- 7.7 -- EPA 21/29
Fit: ---------- 6.1 -- EPA 27/34
Camry Hybrid: - 5.4 -- EPA 33/34
Prius @46mpg: - 4.0 -- EPA 48/45
Prius @52mpg: - 3.5 -- Personal Lifetime Av

O: (g/mi)--- FTP75 - US06 - SC03
'03 TDI: ----- 0.2
'09 TDI: ----- 0.4 -- 0.01 - 0.02
'08 5 cyl: --- 0.3 -- 0.6 -- 0.2
'08 Fit: ----- 0.2 -- 0.2 -- 0.4
Camry Hybrid:- 0.1 -- 0.5 -- 0.01
Prius: ------- 0.1 -- 0.0 -- 0.1

NOx: (g/mi)-- FTP75 -- Hwy
'03 TDI: ----- 0.7 --- 0.5
'09 TDI: ----- 0.05 -- 0.03
'08 5 cyl: --- 0.000 - 0.01
'08 Fit: ----- 0.04 -- 0.03
Camry Hybrid:- 0.004 - 0.01
'04 Prius: --- 0.01 -- 0.01

NMOG: (g/mi)- FTP75
'03 TDI: ---- 0.02
'09 TDI: ---- 0.012
'08 5 cyl: -- 0.004
'08 Fit: ---- 0.044
Camry Hybrid: 0.008
'04 Prius: -- 0.009

HC-NM + NOx: - COMP - US06 - SC03 (g/mi)
'06 TDI: ---- 0.748 - NA --- NA (federal numbers, no '03 avail)
'09 TDI: ---- NA ---- 0.08 - 0.12
'08 5 cyl: -- 0.002 - 0.02 - 0.001 (comp from fed)
'08 Fit: ---- 0.06 -- 0.01 - 0.01 (comp from fed)
Camry Hybrid: 0.01 -- 0.01 - 0.005 (comp from fed)
'04 Prius: -- 0.03 -- 0.03 - 0.04 (comp from fed)

PM: (g/mi) -- FTP75
'03 TDI: ---- 0.05 (CA @ 50k miles)
'06 TDI: ---- 0.046 (fed @ 100k miles)
'09 TDI: ---- 0.000 (CA @ 120k miles)
rest -------- NA

So not only is the 2009 Clean diesel significantly superior to the 03/06' generations, but at parity with the Honda Fit. This "clean" argument is valid, but the difference is all but negligible when the overall emissions are better than that of regular petrol engines.

Faster, you're off base. Compare the 0-60 times of a Prius and the Jetta TDI. There's about a 3 second spread, and that difference is not negligible.

prices, yes, I can say that, "even in America". Use Google.

And lastly, a turbo diesel tows more, has gobs of torque, and is generally more engaging behind the wheel than a economic hybrid, while achieving similar mileage figures. Again, behind the wheel of a Jetta compared to the Prius is a very large departure.

As I said before, both technologies have their place, they are both good for society on a whole. But to say one is better than the other hands down and the other has no place is beyond comprehension. It's nonsense, sadly.

Cleaner than a Hybrid? No, but significantly better than Gasoline powerplants?
you cant say that those diesels are as quiet as a hybrid
you cant say that those diesels are cleaner than a hybrid
you cant say that those diesels are faster than a hybrid
you cant say that diesel gas prices are cheaper than gas (esp not in America)
but i guess you can say that you can tow more

Last edited by FKL; 03-10-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 12:48 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Gee it really is amazing how many guys loving being so b!t@chy with each other over something as trivial as diesel vs hybrid. They are both great technologies.
there can only be one winner. clearly it is the hybrid.
Old 03-11-09, 06:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
Lexus should drop this drivetrain into everyone of their cars. IS, ES, GS, LS, SC. This would give Lexus a 30-35mpg car in every category. They would take europe away from BMW, Audi, MB as fast as they took U.S. away.
so the RX450h weight 4950 lbs and gets 30mpg combined....I wonder how much would the IS would weigh with the exact same drivetrain?

surely it would be 1000 lbs less = much better than 30mpg combined....DO IT LEXUS!!

Last edited by bagwell; 03-11-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 08:51 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
there can only be one winner. clearly it is the hybrid.
Posts such as this do little other than to bait idiotic tit for tat exchanges. I doubt many of us have any interest in some meaningless concept as to which technology will "win" let alone believing that anyone here is the decider of such contests. Too many variables and of course, the US market isn't the determiner of technology winners.

Ultimately the market will decide. Hybrid is a great technology. It is also a very young technology, certainly compared to diesel. I am a supporter of both but I have doubts that diesel will get significant market penetration in the US. If the europeans had brought the diesels here sooner and priced them more competitively, and the price of diesel stabilized under the price of gas, it might be a different story. But for now, it is difficult to see it getting much market traction.

Hybrid is certainly a greater recent commercial success in the US but stories of profitability on hybrids is troublesome. For any company to gain market share at the expense of profitability is not "winning" in most anyone's book. The technology is quickly maturing as Toyota has said that it has reduced the cost of the hybrid by 50% in the new Prius compared to the outgoing version. So they are hoping that the new Prius will have a comparable profit margin to the Corolla. They don't report profit margin by model so we may never know and looking at company books now is pretty meaningless to try and figure that one out. And with new technologies, profitability is often strongly tied to volume and even the hybrids are having a tough time with sales so we will have to wait and see.

As a consumer, I definitely do not want to see diesel vehicles go away. For example, I believe that for utility vehicles they make more sense than hybrid. There are just people/companies that need those gargantuan pickups/vans for business and diesel is a very viable technology for them. And that is a pretty big market in the US. Look at F150 sales over the years, usually well up in the top 10 for sales until the current commotion. And that is a decidedly different market than the RX450h is going after.

I don't think it is necessary for the market to ordain one technology as the "winner". For any technology to succeed it has to provide the most widely accepted product solution at the best price point. And for many applications, the europeans have let hybrid get too big a head start IMO. In europe, hybrid isn't having quite as easy a time as it is here where the timing issue is reversed. I also believe that Lexus has had a particularly poor hybrid implementation strategy for cars to date and that hasn't helped them. The GSh and LSh are competitive when you look at the statistics but personally, I much prefer the driving dynamics of the pure gas versions and particularly the competitions vehicles over the Lexus hybrids. Whatever small difference there is in mileage for those two models is well worth it to me to feed the gas to a 5 or 7, S class, or A8. Mildly interested in seeing the HS once it gets here but why they haven't done an ESh wasn't exactly the brightest decision in the world IMO. But that is getting pretty far off topic. Back to the RXh discussion.
Old 03-11-09, 08:51 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
so the RX400h weight 4950 lbs and gets 30mpg combined....I wonder how much would the IS weigh with the exact same drivetrain?

surely it would be 1000 lbs less = much better than 30mpg combined....DO IT LEXUS!!
I think you mean the RX450h...
Old 03-11-09, 08:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FKL;4330061
So not only is the 2009 Clean diesel significantly superior to the 03/06' generations, but at parity with the [b
Honda Fit[/b]. This "clean" argument is valid, but the difference is all but negligible when the overall emissions are better than that of regular petrol engines.

Faster, you're off base. Compare the 0-60 times of a Prius and the Jetta TDI. There's about a 3 second spread, and that difference is not negligible.
Diesels are cleaner, but their EPA air pollution scores aren't nothing to rave about, where in a hybrid you can. An E320 bluetec still only has a rating of 3, compared to the 7 that the E350 is rated at. So while it is splendid that diesels are releasing fewer tons of CO2, they still have a long way to go to clean up their act.

Second, and I don't doubt that this hasn't been said a million times before, I don't think comparing the Jetta a compact car to the midsize Prius is exactly a fair assessment. That being said, comparing the three luxury, alternative fuel SUVs is and the RX wins in everything except towing ability. I guess I could be biased, by the price and fuel savings speak for themselves.
Old 03-11-09, 10:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
I think you mean the RX450h...

yep, fixed

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Second, and I don't doubt that this hasn't been said a million times before, I don't think comparing the Jetta a compact car to the midsize Prius is exactly a fair assessment. That being said, comparing the three luxury, alternative fuel SUVs is and the RX wins in everything except towing ability. I guess I could be biased, by the price and fuel savings speak for themselves.
For some reason most people think the Prius is a tiny car...the back seat room in that thing in huge even with the front seat all the way back....I was was really amazed.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-11-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 10:31 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
And to Nextourer....damn skippy....we make it so it should be cheaper here.
haha. Yeah I remember driving across Canada last summer. I refuelled in Calgary for $1.28/litre and when I crossed the border, Revelstoke had it for $1.41/litre
Old 03-11-09, 11:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ultimately the market will decide. Hybrid is a great technology. It is also a very young technology, certainly compared to diesel.

It's funny you should say that because hybrids are 100 years old this month:

March 2 is the 100th anniversary of the granting of the first US patent for what was called the “Mixed Drive for Autovehicles.”
Henri Pieper's 1905 Hybrid Vehicle Patent Application.
Henri Pieper, a German-born inventor and gunmaker in Belgium, submitted his application on November 23, 1905—and was granted a US patent on March 2, 1909
Its opening paragraph says:

“Be it known that I, Henri Pieper, a subject of the King of Belgium, residing at 18 Rue des Bayards, in Liege, Belgium, have invented new and useful Improvements in Mixed Drives for Autovehicles…The invention…comprises an internal combustion or similar engine, a dynamo motor direct connected therewith, and a storage battery or accumulator in circuit with the dynamo motor, these elements being cooperatively related so that the dynamo motor may be run as a motor by the electrical energy stored in the accumulator to start the engine or to furnish a portion of the power delivered by the set, or may be run as a generator by the engine, when the power of the latter is in excess of that demanded of the set, and caused to store energy in the accumulator.”

http://www.hybridcars.com/history/10...ent-25616.html

Just shows there are few new ideas in this world!
Old 03-11-09, 11:45 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Posts such as this do little other than to bait idiotic tit for tat exchanges.
it's called a joke but some people have no sense of humor.

Ultimately the market will decide. Hybrid is a great technology. It is also a very young technology, certainly compared to diesel. I am a supporter of both but I have doubts that diesel will get significant market penetration in the US. If the europeans had brought the diesels here sooner and priced them more competitively, and the price of diesel stabilized under the price of gas, it might be a different story. But for now, it is difficult to see it getting much market traction.
The American market already decided. But it's still pretty amazing people think someone is going to pick a diesel rated at 20 mpg over a hybrid rated at 30 mpg. The latest clean diesels are no match for the latest Toyota hybrids.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 03-11-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 03:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
For some reason most people think the Prius is a tiny car...the back seat room in that thing in huge even with the front seat all the way back....I was was really amazed.
Its got more room than a Crown Vic back there, it's huge. The first Prius was small so I can see why people balk at the current's size. People also see what they want to see. My roomate didn't want to believe that my Legacy had more legroom than his Legend...then we broke out the measuring tape.
Old 03-11-09, 03:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Let's take a 2009Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Quieter than a Hybrid? Well I guess not, there's a motor that's always running.

Cleaner? Let's look at facts:

So not only is the 2009 Clean diesel significantly superior to the 03/06' generations, but at parity with the Honda Fit. This "clean" argument is valid, but the difference is all but negligible when the overall emissions are better than that of regular petrol engines.

prices, yes, I can say that, "even in America". Use Google.

And lastly, a turbo diesel tows more, has gobs of torque, and is generally more engaging behind the wheel than a economic hybrid, while achieving similar mileage figures. Again, behind the wheel of a Jetta compared to the Prius is a very large departure.

As I said before, both technologies have their place, they are both good for society on a whole. But to say one is better than the other hands down and the other has no place is beyond comprehension. It's nonsense, sadly.
sorry but using the prius here is nonsense. seeing as how the prius beats the jetta by a whopping 10-15 mpg so i guess the 3 second lag is the blame for that. but what this thread is about is the RX450h versus diesel competitors such as the ML320 and X5 diesel.

lets take a look at that (for demonstration purposes, i will use the RX400h since there is no data on RX450h)

RX400h
EPA Mileage: Well 30 if we use the RX450h
Carbon Footprint: 7.3 tons a year of carbon
EPA pollution Score: 8/10
Annual Fuel Costs est: $1296
0-60: 7.3 Seconds (RX400h)

ML320 Bluetec
EPA Mileage: 18/24
Carbon Footprint: 10.6 tons a year of carbon
EPA pollution Score: 6/10
Annual Fuel Costs est: $1665
0-60: 8 seconds

X5 35d
EPA Mileage: 19/26
Carbon Footprint: n/a
EPA pollution Score: n/a
Annual Fuel Costs est: n/a
0-60: 6.9 seconds

bottom line is that when you compare cars that are actually in the same category, you can see that diesels still have a long way to go. im not against them, im just saying that they dont offer anything more than a hybrid besides towing capabilities in this case
Old 03-11-09, 11:14 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

bottom line is that when you compare cars that are actually in the same category, you can see that diesels still have a long way to go. im not against them, im just saying that they dont offer anything more than a hybrid besides towing capabilities in this case
towing capabilities = whatever the mfg wants to claim.
When Toyota wanted to prove the Tundra could tow 10,000 lbs they launched their Prove it! marketing campaign.

I remember seeing the local dealers Tundra towing a 10,000 lb trailer. I'd like to see someone try towing 7,500 lbs in a crossover with a suspension calibrated for comfort. Before it reaches 1000 miles the cute-ute would literally be falling apart at the seams.
Old 03-11-09, 11:19 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
haha. Yeah I remember driving across Canada last summer. I refuelled in Calgary for $1.28/litre and when I crossed the border, Revelstoke had it for $1.41/litre
LMAO...the same way that I drive an hour west to ride at Kicking Horse and support your economy and have to pay 15 cents a liter more in Golden.

Trust me....I make sure I have enough gas to get back to at least Lake Louise so I don't get bent over.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus RX 450h Makes 30 MPG Combined