Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mercedes GL450

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Mercedes GL450

By CL member request, a Review of the 2009 Mercedes GL450.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/

In a Nutshell: Expensive, verstile, solid, thirsty, and safety-oriented, but with some bad design features as well.

Lately, there has been much CL-based interest in the smaller, compact-sized, Mercedes GLK SUV, along with the just-introduced Audi Q5 I reviewed last week. But, with the GLK, it seems that most of you CL members who were interested in it (or were just curious) have already looked at it, driven it, and come to your own conclusions, so, while I briefly looked at it along with the larger GL today, I didn't take any notes, do a test-drive, or a formal review. I DID have at least one formal review request for the 2009 GL450, so, I spent most of my time on that instead (I can do a formal GLK review later, if requested).

The GL-series was introduced for the 2007 model year as a sequel to the extremely rugged, Rock-of-Gibraltar-solid Mercedes G-Wagen (Gelandewagen), which ranks as one of the most-incredibly solidly-built vehicles, in body, chassis, and hardware, that I've ever seen. The bank-vault-solid doors on a G-Wagen, for example, close with a solidness that has to be heard and felt to be believed. It HAD to be solid...it was based on a 1980's-vintage German/Austrian military vehicle that had to be off-road-capable in Alpine mountain conditions, with three locking differentials. The G-Wagen was schedued to be dropped after the GL's introduction, but, for reasons known only to Mercedes marketers, has been kept in limited production till now, with no immediate plans to drop it in the American market, even with the poor economy.

The GL series is nowhere near as vault-like as the G-Wagens, but is generally well-built and solid.....it is not flimsy by any means, and can do a limited amount of off-roading itself. Unfortunately, like many recent Mercedes-Benz products, it has suffered from poor reliability in electrical, electronic, and hardware components....though some Mercedes models have shown some improvement (finally) in the last 12-24 months. The GL series, though, according to Consumer Reports, remained well-below-average in reliability through the 2008 model year....only time will tell if 2009's fare better.

In the American market, three basic versions of the GL-series are offered. The GL320, Like its slightly smaller ML320 cousin, has a 3.2L V6 Bluetec diesel and a 7-speed automatic with manual Sport-shift. The GL450 has a 4.6L (actually closer to 4.7L) V8, with the same transmission. The GL550 has a 5.5L V8, the same transmission, and some AMG-derived components (but not an AMG engine). No manual transmission is offered. All three versions come with Mercedes 4Matic AWD system for mild off-roading and extra traction on slick, paved surfaces as well.

Like with most upmarket Mercedes products, it costs money to get into a GL....lots of it. The review request was for a GL450, so I chose a black 450 with a beige Tex-upholstery interior (other color combinations are available, but this is a fairly strong-selling combination). It listed for even more than I expected it to.....almost $70,000, but that included a $6600 tech-option package with a lot of power and electronic gear to it. Even at that open-your-wallet price, I still wasn't impressed with the seat upholstery...to get REAL leather, you have to spring for the $80,000 GL550...more on that below.

However, to be fair, the GL450, while expensive, is not necessarily any pricier (depending on options) then its competition from the BMW X5, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, and some other top-line V8-powered SUV's. There is simply no such thing as an inexpensive vehicle in this class. However, in the current auto-buying recession, discounts are available......but, even so, a thin wallet just isn't going to cut it with these vehicles.

So, what is the GL450 like? Let's find out.......on with the review.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Mercedes GL450 4MATIC.

Base Price: $59,200

Options:

Obsidian Black Paint: $720

Lighted Door Sills: $570

Rear Seat Entertainmant System: $1850

P01 Tech Package: $6600 (Yes, that's right, $6600......but it includes a lot of equipment)

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $69,815

Drivetrain: 4Matic AWD, Longitudional-mounted 4.7L V8 (4663 cc), 335 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 339 Ft-lbs. @ 2700 RPM, 7-speed Automatic transmission with
paddle Sport-Shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: 13 City, 18 Highway, 15 Combined

Exterior Color: Obsidian Black

Interior: Beige Tex-surface upholstery, Wood Trim.

PLUSSES:

Numerous, traditional, Mercedes safety features.

Torquey 4.7L V8 at all but lowest RPMs.

Smooth but firm-shifting transmission.

Butter-smooth, but somewhat spongy, brakes.

Relatively good ride comfort.

Smooth but somewhat inconsistant steering response.

Generally good noise isolation.

Superb paint job.

Solid doors and sheet metal.

Good exterior hardware.

Front/Rear sunroofs for third-seat passengers.

Well-designed, clear gauges.

Easy-to-read analog clock inside speedometer.

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Plush, well-finished trunk includes First-Aid kit and 115V power-plugs.

Power-operated third row seat-folding for easy cargo-loading.

Handy, dual-adjustable hood struts for added access.

Strut/spring combination for hood security meets new Pedestrian-impact safety standards.

Excellent interior hardware and trim....but noticeably better in the more expensive GL550/version.

Well-designed climate-control vents.

Solid, slick-operating climate-control *****.

Good legroom and headroom, front and rear.

Ingenious scalloped-out front seatbacks add to rear legroom.

Good headroom in the small third-row seats.

Rear-seat entertainment screens built into front seat-backs for simplicity.

No Federal gas-Guzzler tax, despite the low EPA figures.

Can handle a number of off-road conditons (if not extreme).

MINUSES:

VERY badly designed turn signal/cruise-control column-stalks.

Ultra-Cheapo, hard, gritty-feeling sun visors.

Quirky and somewhat awkward P-N-D-R column stalk for transmission.

Outside mirrors tall enough but too narrow.

Somewhat spongy brake pedal.

Roly-Poly body lean on corners.

Extra-cost for some paint colors.

Temporary spare tire grossly cheap for a 70K vehicle.

Second-row seatbacks/headrests too short for tall people.

Third-row seats suited only for children/short adults, despite good headroom.

Tex-upholstery should be real leather, not an imitation.

Uncomfortable, cheap-feeling steering wheel rim stitching.

Complex (as always) NAV/stereo buttons (but Voice Command is available).

Large D-pillars block some rear vision.

Relatively poor underhood layout.

Poor gas mileage.

Poor reliability history from Consumer Reports.

Very expensive parts, repairs, and dealer-service, if not factory-covered.

4/50 drivetrain warranty uncompetitive with Japanese and American competitors.

Very pricey with major options.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the GL450, at first glance, there is nothing unusual about the GL's styling. It is instantly identifiable as a member of the Mercedes SUV family, although its rear-end is longer and a little more squared-off than the slightly smaller ML-class, and the C and D-pillars are quite different. Still, the GL has more or less the same horizontal-bar grille, big Mercedes Tri-star on the grille, rather conservatively shaped headlights, and tall roofline of its corporate brothers. The sheet metal, doors, hood, and hatch-lid are Mercedes-solid, and open and close accoringly, though not with the same solidness as the super-strong G-Wagen it replaces. The paint job, typical of Mercedes products, is smooth, even, and first-rate, with only the tiniest amount of orange-peel. Like many of today's vehcles, however, I find the GL's paint-color choice rather dull and funeral-like, and some of those colors, like with many other European manufacturers, cost extra (the Obsidian Black on my test car was $875). The lower-body panels on this rather tall vehicle carried lighted door sills ($570) to help shorter people at night and in bad weather. Splash guards do not come standard, but a black lower-body cladding, a few inches wide, runs around the whole car to help ward off paint damage from road pebbles and gravel. The rather tall-profile tires help ride comfort, but are not the best for steering response (more on that below). The two outside mirrors have high-quality housings, snap-swivel and fold easily and freely, and have the ubiqutous turn-signals in them (Mercedes invented that feature, years ago). They are also tall enough, but, IMO, are too narrow for optimum side-vision. All of the exterior trim and hardware is of high-quality and generally well-done, though the GL550 has noticeably nicer trim and hardware outside then the 450.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the solid hood, and you will find not only the two usual gas struts (expected in this class) to hold it up, but two other nice features as well. First, the right strut has a secondary release-tab in it that allows the hood to go up to a full 90 degrees for added access. There are also secondary springs built into the hold-down mechanism that keep the hood, when a pedestrian hits it in an accident, from causing much damage or injury...a bow to European pedestrian-impact safety standards that will be coming here to the U.S. in a few more years (the new GLK also has them, but in a different design). A nice underhood insulation-pad is also standard....and it works (more on that below).

Unfortunately, once the hood is raised the full 90 degrees, or even to the first notch, there isn't much TO access under it. The GL has the usual poor underhood layout of this type of upmarket vehicle, with the longitudinally-mounted 4.7L V8 crammed in rather tight, a large plastic engine cover blocking most of the top-engine components, and only few of the ones on the side of the block are accessible. Plastic covers and panels cover most of the reservoirs, non-engine hardware, and battery as well. Your friendly Mercedes service department will be happy to deal with this mess, and do the underhood work for you.....but, if it's not covered by warranty or free factory service, it's open-your-wallet-time again. Mercedes parts/repairs/service, like Porsche, is notoriously expensive.

INTERIOR:

Step up into the interior of this tall vehicle, (the lighted door sills will help at night), and you will find a generally well-done interior let down somewhat by Mercedes cost-cutting in a couple of spots. The first is the Tex-grade imitation leather upholstery, which is a nice beige color (and gives good contrast to the black trim), but otherwise looks and feels rough, knobby, and cheap. The same material is on the steering-wheel rim, poorly-stiched, and does not feel pleasant when you grip the wheel. The sun-visors are awful...they are so hard and cheap they look and feel like they are made of stucco (I've seen lots better in entry-level, $12,000 econoboxes). At least they have the covered vanity-mirrors in them expected of an upmarket vehicle like this. Another very bad design inside, IMO, is the cruise-control stalk, just above the turn-signal stalk on the left-side of the steering column. Like on other German-designed vehicles, it not only gets easily mixed-up with the turn-signal stalk when you signal for a turn, but something even worse: if you mistake it for the turn-signal stalk and flick it up to signal a right-turn or lane-change, it will speed the car's cruise-control up....I had to jab the brakes quickly (which automatically deactivates it) to keep from hitting the guy in front of me. And I don't remember seeing any other switches inside to turn the cruise control switch on or off (only that one), though I may have just missed it.

These complaints/quirks aside, the interior is quite well-done.....I was generally impressed with it. The front seats, despite the somewhat cheap upholstery, are generally comfortable, and have many power-adjustments with the easy-to-use, profile-based, Mercedes power seat controls. The gauges are well-designed, clear, and easy-to read, and I liked the small, analog clock and fuel-gauges mounted in the lower part of the speedometer and tach. The climate-control ***** were large, well-trimmed, solid, and worked easily and slickly. The stereo has excellent sound quality (KISS, AC/DC, and Alice Cooper wouldn't have it any other way). German-car stereos, in general, having come a long way in the last few years. But the combination stereo/NAV buttons, while well-marked, are rather complex, as they usually are with NAV systems. Some of the difficult ****/controlled functions, however, can be used with Voice-Command, which , of course, makes it easier. The interior trim is attractive and quite well-done; both the wood and metallic parts of it, but, here again, one notices significantly better trim and upholstery on the GL550 than the 450. The GL550, inside, has trim quality equivalent to upmarket Audis, generally considered some of the best in the industry. All GL-series models, though, have numerous little cubby-holes and pop-up compartments inside for conienence and storage.

Headroom, in all three rows of seats, was excellent, even with the sunroof housings over the first and third-row seats (yes, the small third-row seat, in back, has its own sunroof). This, of course, is the result of the tall, conservative roofline that adds space efficiency inside......those Humpy-Dumpty-arched rooflines on sport-oriented vehicles pay their price with tall people. Legroom up front as excellent, and, with the clever, scalloped-out vertical rows in the front seat-backs, good in the second-row seat as well. The second-row seats, however, have backs and headrests that are just too short for tall people (I wonder how the renowned Mercedes safety engineers let that one get by), and the third-row seat, of course, like in most SUV's this size, is primarily for children and small adults....don't expect much width or legroom. The screens for the entertainmant system, like with Audis, are built into the tops of the front seat-backs, so kids in the second-row seat have them right in front, more or less at eye level.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

My test car had the power-operated hatch lid, which goes up and down at the touch of a button (keep your head out of the way, of course). It opens up to a well-finished, plushly-trimmed cargo area with a nice grade of beige carpeting on both the walls and floor. Real metal/chrome loops and rings provide tie-down security on the floor. A pull-shade cover keeps the trunk contents from prying eyes. A traditional Mercedes First-Aid kit is in a left-wall compartment and cover. 115-volt power outlets are also in each wall. The third-row seats, when they are up, naturally eat into some of the cargo room (though, again, the tall roof helps). But, power-operated buttons also drop both third-row seats down flat for addded cargo space (the second-row seats can also fold for even more space). Under the trunk floor, however, lies a bit of Mercedes cost-cutting......a temporary spare tire, insultingly cheap in a $70,000 vehicle. IMO, a real spare tire/wheel, (not just a cheap, flimsy imitation), is especially important in an off-road-capable vehicle such as this, bcause tire failure is more likely under off-road conditions with sharp obstacles in the vehicle's path.

ON THE ROAD:

Starting up the big 4.7L V8 is pretty much state-of-the-art for an upmarket vehicle. With the proximity electronic "key" in the vicinity, and foot on the brake, push the "Start" button, and the engine fires to life, turbine-smooth and almost (but not quite) Lexus-quiet. Once warmed up and on the road, this is a nice engine, with enough torque at all but the lowest RPM's to give you a noticeable shove in the back, even with the weight and drag of this big SUV with automatic transmission and AWD. Engine noise is generally low, as is exhaust noise......neither will assault your ears like, say, a Mustang GT. The 7-speed transmission is no doubt efficient, and had noticeably low spacing between the gears, but 7 speeds, IMO, is still a little overkill......as is the 8-speed automatics in some Lexus models. 5 or 6 speeds, in most cases, does the job just as well. The 7-speed automatic, despite its efficiency, still doesn't get much mileage out of this big engine and heavy vehicle....note the low EPA ratings (13/18/15). Otherwise, though, the transmission works quite well, whether in full-automatic or manual paddle-shift mode. Shifts at lower vehicle speeds and higher throttle openings were positive-firm, but not harsh. As throttle pressure dropped, though, and at higher vehicle speeds, shifts became butter-smooth, like a typical Lexus. I didn't like the stubby, steering-column-mounted shifter, though. It flicks through its P-N-R-D positons in what, IMO, is a rather awkward and quirky manner. Mercedes basically copied this shifter design (more or less) from the Chris Bangle BMW 7-series, and I've never liked it.

Steering response, though very smooth (almost BMW-smooth), was somewhat inconsistant...it seemed to vary with vehicle speeds and wheel input, sometimes feeling slow and unresponsive, and at other times rather darty. Generally, the faster you went and the quicker you yanked the wheel, the quicker it responded. Marked body roll, no doubt a result of the vehicle's high center of gravity and generally comfort-oriented tires/suspension, was present at both low and higher speeds. This is (for on-road use, at least), a sedate, cruise-oriented vehicle, or maybe for typical suburban use. Don't go trying to drive it like a sports car or trying to flick it quickly around mountain curves.

Ride comfort, even to my comfort-oriented standards, wasn't bad at all...better than on a number of other SUV's I've driven, and it lacked the typical fore/aft porpoising motions of tall, high-center-of-gravity SUV's. In ride comfort, it even slightly exceeded the 2010 Lexus RX350 that I tested a few weeks ago; the new 2010 RX, despite taller-profile tires, being slightly stiffer than older models because of a new wishbone suspension. Noise levels were very well-controlled, with very low engine/exhaust noise, no audible tire noise, and only a very small amount of wind noise on this cold and windy day....a good day to test for wind noise.

Brakes were ultra-smooth (so smooth that it felt like someone put grease on the pads/rotors), but initial response was a little spongy, with a couple of inches in the pedal, before they took a good effect. Once they took effect, however, they had good (typical-German) stopping power. And, when shifting from gas to brake, there were no hang-up problems on the underside of the brake pedal with my big size-15 shoe like there was with the Audi Q5 last week.

THE VERDICT:

Mercedes has come up with, generally, a good-driving mid-to-large size SUV here....but there are some bad quirks.

The drivetrain is well-done....quiet and responsive. Brakes are generally well-done. The ride/handling combination, while not perfect, is good for an SUV, even with the body roll. Cargo space and passenger room inside is generally good. Interior materials are pleasant except for the Tex-upholstery and awful sun visors. Paint is the usual Mercedes first-class, and German car stereos are, today, head-and-shoulders above those of just a few years ago. There are safety features galore, and the gauges are pleasant to read and use. The car is pleasantly quiet on the road.

But there are some significant faults that need to be addressed. How the Mercedes safety engineers let the awful cruise-control-stalk design and too-low rear headrests for tall people get by is beyond me. The sandpaper-feel sun visors are an insult to an entry-level econobox....as is the temporary spare in the trunk on an off-road vehicle. The underhood design, despite the clever hood hinges, only encourages super-expensive Mercedes dealer service that much more.

And, last, of course, is the money issue. As I mentioned in the opening section, it takes a healthy sum of cash to get into a vehicle like this. This is going to be an expensive vehicle (even with dealer discounts) for many CL members, notwithstanding the fact that CL represents, in general, what is probably a more-affluent-than-average cross section of the auto-buying public. One could buy a new Lexus LS460, IMO one of the finest luxury cars in the world, for what a GL450 costs.....never mind the even more expensive GL550. Of course, an LS doesn't have the GL's versatility or cargo space, but the LS now has an AWD option for bad weather. So, the question arises.....is the GL worth what it costs? For my purposes, no......but everyone has different wants, needs, resources, and priorities in car-buying. I can't speak for everyone. Those who have the $$$$$, want a safety-oriented, mid-large-size SUV, need the space inside, are willing to take a chance on potentially unreliable electronics/hardware, and sometimes go mild off-roading, may want to give it a look.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-09 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews (when available):

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

2010 Lexus LX450H (review update to the RX350, not a whoile new review)

BMW 7-series

2010 Chevrolet Camaro (SS production, right now, is questionable....GM may be killing high-performance V8s)

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-09 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:21 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thorough and well written as always Mike, THX!!!

While an interesting model from MB, IMO much more "practical" choices out there, even from MB themselves...
Old 02-24-09, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Sure. Anytime.

While an interesting model from MB, IMO much more "practical" choices out there, even from MB themselves...
For that matter, Mercedes' own little brother GLK (for some 30K less than my test GL450) is probably a more "practical" choice (though I haven't completely reviewed it), especially if you don't need as much space inside. I took a static look at one today, along with the GL450 review. The little-brother GLK only ran about 40K, far more reasonable, IMO.

If it were my money, though, I'd get a Lexus RX350 before either one, even though
I liked the GL450's ride a little more. And I'd probably get a new Outback even before the RX.
Old 02-24-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

I agree, good review of an interesting SUV in a challenged market segment. Recently 2008 GL450's were selling with $14K discounts.

For Mercedes the sweet spot seems to be the mid-sized/"practical" MLx50 which still generates fairly big sales numbers. Of course we are all wondering how the GLK will sell. I was at a local Benz dealer last Sunday and they had only sold 3 GLK's so far, a weak performance so far.
Old 02-24-09, 05:52 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

you cannot compare GL quality to lexus LS quality...two different class... the gl is built to be rugged but at the same time to be luxury while the lexus ls is lexus`s top of line luxury car...

if you must compare the interior quality, mind you compare them to escalade, yukon, range rover or other luxury SUVs... you can even compare it to lexus lx570 which is the full size luxury suv. But comparing the lx570, you must compare it to GL550 as these two cars are in the same tier of price ranges.....

other than that, you made some good point about the car having spongy brakes and a tad bit pricey... i believe MB could drop the GL450 and just sell the GL550 as there is no need for two lower model of the same class, the GL450 and GL320.
Old 02-24-09, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidsong
you cannot compare GL quality to lexus LS quality...two different class... the gl is built to be rugged but at the same time to be luxury while the lexus ls is lexus`s top of line luxury car...
I wasn't directly comparing the two in the manner you imply. I merely pointed out that GL450 money can buy one of the finest luxury cars in the world, the lexus LS460, which is a fact. It can also buy an Lexus RX350 (one of my favorite SUV's) with quite a bit of change back.

if you must compare the interior quality, mind you compare them to escalade, yukon, range rover or other luxury SUVs... you can even compare it to lexus lx570 which is the full size luxury suv. But comparing the lx570, you must compare it to GL550 as these two cars are in the same tier of price ranges.....
I have not test-driven the LX570, so I can't write up a formal review of it, but I've looked at it statically, and its interior quality is about the same, overall, as the GL450's....different strengths and weaknesses in different areas. The GL550 (at least the ones I saw today) actually listed for MORE than most LX570's.....so I disagree, at least to some extent, that they are in the same price range.

other than that, you made some good point about the car having spongy brakes and a tad bit pricey... I believe MB could drop the GL450 and just sell the GL550 as there is no need for two lower model of the same class, the GL450 and GL320.
The 550, though, has some AMG-sourced parts, even if it does not include a hand-built AMG engine. That helps the roadability and handling some.

The 450's brakes, yes, are a little spongy (by German standards), but they make up for it with incredible smoothness and a fair amount of bite once they DO take effect.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike and with my short time with it, I agree with your points. The price leaves me scratching my head as the exterior (IMO) looks like a bigger Highlander, the interior is not really luxurious and the feature content is just average. To me it seemed as if they rushed this effort. I am sure next time, they will improve on what you stated.

My question is do you think its much better than the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalades?

Old 02-24-09, 08:03 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Great review as usual, thanks mmarshall.

I've spent some quality times behind the wheel in my friend's GL550 and my impressions are:

Interior quality is worthy the MB tri-star but the steering is light and the handling is nothing to write home about. Acceleration is ok but for a 5.5L V8 it is not impressive at all.
Old 02-24-09, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike
Thanks.

with my short time with it, I agree with your points. The price leaves me scratching my head as the exterior (IMO) looks like a bigger Highlander, the interior is not really luxurious and the feature content is just average. To me it seemed as if they rushed this effort. I am sure next time, they will improve on what you stated.
While the GL450 is not cheaply done inside (except for the few points I mentioned), the GL550 clearly has higher-quality trim and leather, especially on seats and door panels. The difference is noticeable. It also has some AMG trim parts on it (but not an AMG engine)

My question is do you think its much better than the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalades?
I think it beats the GM full-size SUV's in powertrain sophistication/refinement, quality of brakes (long a Yukon/Suburban/Escalade weak point), steering/handling, general safety features, a better AWD system, better paint quality, and quality of interior/exterior hardware (with a couple of exceptions).

The big GM SUV's of course, being body-on-frame design, have a huge towing capacity (higher than the GL series), a big, super-strong frame, loads of room inside, lots of torque (and weight), an attractively-trimmed dash on newer ones that is much better than on older models, a slightly better repair/reliability record (but not by much), seats that are better-suited for tall people, and underhood accessability.

Both of them have a smooth transmission, a reasonably smooth, quiet ride, and a fair amount of body roll.
Old 02-24-09, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Great review as usual, thanks mmarshall.
Sure...anytime.

I've spent some quality times behind the wheel in my friend's GL550 and my impressions are:

Interior quality is worthy the MB tri-star but the steering is light and the handling is nothing to write home about. Acceleration is ok but for a 5.5L V8 it is not impressive at all.
The 550, as you say, is VERY impressive inside....notably more so than the 450. Its trim quality, IMO, is about equal to the upper-level Audi class.

But its price tag, IMO, borders on the absurd (do you agree? ). The GL550 I looked at today listed for some 82K. That would buy two of the new GLKs that were parked right next to it (at around 40K each). Even the GL450's price tag on the one I reviewed today (almost 70K), I thought, was too high for what you got.
Old 02-24-09, 09:18 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

^^ Yup! Although I like the GL but I think the price tag is a bit on the high side. For $80k I'll take the LX570 over the GL550 in a heart beat.
Old 02-24-09, 10:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Not as nice as GX470 or LX570.

I do like the unibody frame. Lexus needs to go this route with the GX and LX at some point
Old 02-24-09, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A key feature in the class of the GL is the 3rd row back seat, many familly-type buyers require this feature and it's not available in LS or other large sedans, ML's, GLK's, RX's, Q5's, etc.

fyi - Another thing that Mercedes offers with the ML and GL is a clean diesel option, available now in all 50 states. According to the WSJ nearly 20% of recent Mercedes SUVs are diesel.
Old 02-24-09, 10:49 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
^^ Yup! Although I like the GL but I think the price tag is a bit on the high side. For $80k I'll take the LX570 over the GL550 in a heart beat.
The GL is a much larger vehicle than the LX. For those who need the cargo space and for 7 passengers to ride in comfort, the GL is a much better choice than the LX.

The 3rd row seat in the LX is mediocre at best. Unlike the GL, whose 3rd row seat can electronically retract flat at the touch of a button, the LX's 3rd row seat doesn't fold flat and thus takes up valuable cargo space. Both interiors are nice, but I prefer the nav system in the LX.

For such a larger vehicle, the GL550 is pretty quick (0-60 in 6.2 secs). While the styling of the GL450 is pretty tame, the GL550 is much more aggressive d/t the huge front grill, large fender flares and 21 inch wheels. A great looking vehicle IMHO.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Mercedes GL450