Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's new hybrid is hot in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 01:13 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda's new hybrid is hot in Japan

Honda's new hybrid is hot in Japan

The new Honda Insight hybrid, slated to go on sale in April in the U.S., is already big in Japan.

Reuters reported today that Honda has received almost triple the number of orders it expected for the car after it went on sale in its homeland on Feb 6.

Honda Insight “The response has been overwhelming,” Honda executive Hiroshi Kobayashi told reporters at a test-drive event in Tokyo. Demand has been such that the automaker intends to expand its production plans for the car, Kobayashi said, although he declined to specify by how much.

The Insight, he added, is drawing interest from a broad range of vehicle owners, from mini-vehicles to sedans to minivans. There’s currently a 30-day wait to take delivery of a new Insight.

The strong response is occurring even as the Japanese auto market suffers through the same slump that is depressing auto sales around the globe. New vehicle sales were off 20% last month in Japan.

The Insight’s popularity could be due to its price — it starts at around 1.89 million yen (just under $20,000 at current exchange rates), almost 20% less than the rival Toyota Prius.

In Japan, Honda is also boasting fuel economy of around 61 miles per gallon for the Inisght. Based on U.S. mileage tests, the current-generation Prius gets 46 MPG in combined city/highway driving. The third-generation Prius, due in showrooms in the U.S. and Japan this spring, will get around 50 MPG combined, Toyota has said.

You may remember that the original Insight, a futuristic looking two-seat that hit these shores in December 1999 — actually beating the Prius to the U.S. market by more than six months. The Prius made up the lost ground, however, and became the purpose-built hybrid of choice for Americans. The original Insight was R.I.P. by 2006.

The new Insight is slated to go on sale in the U.S. in April. Officially unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January, it has been lampooned a bit for looking too much like, well, the Prius. But, as in Japan, it’s expected to cost less than the Toyota hybrid, which should be an important selling point in these economically challenged times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/upto...d-insight.html
Old 02-25-09, 01:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good!!!!!!!!!

I think the Inisght will do great!
Old 02-25-09, 01:49 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have the Civic Hybrid or the Fit
Old 02-25-09, 02:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

In Japan, Honda is also boasting fuel economy of around 61 miles per gallon for the Inisght. Based on U.S. mileage tests, the current-generation Prius gets 46 MPG in combined city/highway driving.
In the American Method? Doesn't seem likely as Honda is reporting 40 MPG on their website.
Old 02-25-09, 03:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yeah it's rated in the 40s but the media has managed to get up to 60mpg and you know the media isn't exactly the most light-footed group of people. Some have managed to get 50mpg in the Prius but I'm not aware of any media reporting 60mpg.
Old 02-25-09, 03:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The rating system may be different over there. Who knows... I never trust blogs and the likes. Any time you introduce a middle man, you're going to increase human error.
Old 02-25-09, 04:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The rating system may be different over there. Who knows... I never trust blogs and the likes. Any time you introduce a middle man, you're going to increase human error.
It is different. The current Prius gets 80mpg US equivalent on the 10-15 cycle but I think Japan recently introduced a new method which is sorta like the new EPA testing method which, of course, lowers the ratings.

And of course there's always the Imp. mpg vs. US mpg mistake.
Old 02-25-09, 07:45 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

wow 61mpg is going to make this the hybrid king, looks like I'm putting the new Insight on my to-do list.
Old 02-25-09, 08:09 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Id like to see if it really does get 61mpg, Toyota step ur hybrid game up..
Old 02-25-09, 08:25 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i thought it was 40mpg.
Old 02-25-09, 10:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joe80
i thought it was 40mpg.
officially, yes (actually, are the numbers official yet or are they still estimates?)

But those in the media that have tried it have got up to 60mpg. Just look up a few on Youtube.
Old 02-26-09, 12:15 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I think it would be hot in the U.S. as well.