Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scanned image reveals next-gen BMW 5-series

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Scanned image reveals next-gen BMW 5-series

The 2010 BMW 5-series could be even more controversial than the current model

A class leader since its inception, the 5-series remains a crucial car in BMW's lineup, so there's a great deal of anticipation surrounding the next-generation model. The new car is due to arrive late this year for the 2010 model year, and heavily disguised sedan prototypes have already been seen testing around the streets of Munich, as have Touring variants. Today a scan claimed to depict the new 5-series has emerged onto the web.

The image, scanned from what appears to be a brochure by a member of the Bimmerpost Forums, shows a new, much more aggressive face with clear cues from the CS Concept, confirming earlier reports. A previous report, issuing from Auto Zeitung, revealed that BMW may in fact be embracing the 5-series' polarizing looks, including some influence from the inflammatory CS Concept. This is an odd strategy, however, given that the recently revealed all-new 7-series has moved away from the Bangle-influence flame-surfacing design to a more generally palatable look.

The new image does looks somewhat similar to the newly-released 5-series GT Concept, but differences around the headlights and lower fascia also make it clear that this is not the same vehicle. It's not yet confirmed that it is in fact the next-gen 5-series, however.

Whatever the car's eventual appearance, under the new sheet metal, inclusion of some aspects of the new 7-series' technical upgrades is possible as well. Dynamic Drive active anti-roll bars, four-wheel steering and active dampers could all be part of a higher-end performance package for the executive sedan. Some safety features, such as the night-vision system, lane departure warning and active brake assist are likely to make the migration to the 5-series as well.

BMW will also continue with its new found love of turbocharging. The 4.4L twin-turbo V8 from the X6 is expected to appear in a range topping model, while more turbo-diesel variants are expected to join the lineup as well. BMW is currently developing its second generation common rail system for its diesel powerplants, which operate at greater pressure for improved performance. In Europe, a 204hp (152kW) 2.0L twin-turbo four-cylinder diesel engine is also likely to be included, but isn't expected to hop the pond to the U.S. Eventually, hybrid versions will also be on the table, though possibly not until a mid-cycle refresh several years after the new car's debut.

The transmission systems will include a six-speed manual and a six-speed Steptronic semi-auto gearbox, however a new eight-speed unit from ZF is also expected to be available. Coming in towards the end of 2010 will be the next-generation M5 sporting a larger displacement 5.5L V10 and possibly forced induction for extra power. Later in 2011, expect the inclusion of stop-start technology for reduced emissions and improved fuel economy in the less performance-oriented models.

Performance of all models will be improved thanks to the extensive use of lightweight materials including carbon-fiber and aluminum. The car’s construction will be a hybrid of an aluminum spaceframe for the front section, and a traditional steel monocoque for the passenger compartment and rear. This will ensure a favorable front-to-rear weight distribution and improved handling. Up front will be an independent suspension with MacPherson struts, with a multi-link layout for the rear. High-performance models will include carbon-fiber body panels to shed even more weight.

Inside, the car will have a more spacious interior, especially for rear-seat passengers, while the center console will be oriented more towards the driver and run an updated version of iDrive. Headroom will be similar to the current model, despite a shorter roof for the new car, while trunk volume will grow to 550L. Wheel sizes will range from 17, 18 and 19in, and a new electrohydraulic brake system will also be added, which will improve braking distances and stability.
Source
Old 02-18-09, 07:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 2010 BMW 5-series spied next to current model

Old 02-18-09, 08:00 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like its got some aggressive lines
i like the softness and flow of current gen 5 series though
Old 02-18-09, 08:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

I can't wait to see the next gen The 5 is my favorite car in that class.
Old 02-18-09, 08:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very aggressive lines up front huh
Old 02-18-09, 09:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my personal taste, that is too much. The hood like a piece of scrap metal they used for test stampings...way too many creases and lines.

There are some elements that look good though, like the headlights general shape of the front end. Very aggressive.
Old 02-18-09, 09:34 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Front looks like smaller version of 7 series. Looks good
Old 02-18-09, 09:39 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, I remember everybody (including myself) hating on the 5-series when it came out. It has definitely grown on seeming everyone (as well as some designers at Honda!).
Old 02-18-09, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That mag scan of the hood with the flaring nostrils looks vicious
Old 02-18-09, 10:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the angry front end! Nothing more intimidating than angle eyes in your rear view mirrors As the world turns, there are no spy photos, vids, teasers about the 4GS. Anywho,

Here is a chop of what this may look like

Old 02-18-09, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like the 5 GT without the prius hump
Old 02-18-09, 11:06 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

yum yum i can't wait for this to come out
Old 02-18-09, 11:14 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

wow looks so much better than the Bangle crap of the last few years. The current 5 is so ugly.
Old 02-18-09, 11:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i still don't like the current 5, it looks pretty bad. the m5 is the only one i might touch

the sketch of the new 5 (and also from the first pic) kind of remind me of the e39, which i always think is the best looking 5 so far.
Old 02-18-09, 06:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks a bit more agressive than the last gen in the front. I am happy with the current gen 5 series aestheticaly. I hope they dont jack the next one up to bad

Quick Reply: Scanned image reveals next-gen BMW 5-series