Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 03:10 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Good point, but "traditional" doesn't necessarily say "luxury" to me and many others. Give Jaguar their due they do know how to do wood. Lexus subcontract their wood to Yamaha who do a brilliant job of making a piece of wood look like plastic.
I agree with you here.

Someone had shown that Lexus offers at least the dark wood for JDM vehicles. It sure would be nice to at least have a choice over here.

I also would lean towards a dark/aluminum or dark/carbon fiber interior trim. Other manufacturers at least give you multiple options.
Old 02-16-09, 03:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Someone had shown that Lexus offers at least the dark wood for JDM vehicles. It sure would be nice to at least have a choice over here.
someone has a name you know
Old 02-16-09, 03:55 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review mmarshal! When I got the email from Lexus regarding the new RX, I got excited but haven't had the time to check it out myself.

One thing though, I was under the impression that one of the new features was the Heads Up display. I don't recall seeing you mention that in your review (I could just be blind). What did you think of it?
Old 02-16-09, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Great review mmarshal!
Thanks.

One thing though, I was under the impression that one of the new features was the Heads Up display. I don't recall seeing you mention that in your review (I could just be blind). What did you think of it?
No.....maybe I'M the one who was blind, not you. If it was in there, I didn't try it out.

Good point.
Old 02-16-09, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I prefer no wood in my interiors... I'll always opt for aluminum when given the chance and did in both my 335i and A4 which had the option of wood or aluminum.
You're not alone in that opinion, Threxx....and I respect that.
Old 02-16-09, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes it's ugly, cushy, big, soft, refined like almost all Toyota/Lexus vehicles and not very interesting to drive.

I drove it today after seeing it at the local auto show. There was little interest at the San Jose autoshow and at the dealer's "special intro" today, so I drove it anyway. I think it will still maintain it's sales numbers for the most part, selling to the type of buyer that likes the utility and luxury combo. Solid enough and improved product.
It's cushy-handling, yes, but the ride was not quite as cushy as I had expected, even with the 60-series tires, and it had a little of the typical-SUV fore/aft porpoising motions. Did you notice that on your test drive?
Old 02-16-09, 05:47 PM
LexFather

The RX apparantly continues to get sportier without alienating its loyal buyer. Why would Lexus do so? 1/2 of the reviews of sporty SUVs come out all wrong anyway. Sports cars on stilts.

There is an RX event at my dealer saturday, I'm going to try to take some time to check it out.

As for Jags, I love the older interiors. Not big on the XF or XK but they are fine. I love the XJ interior and the last XK. It says "JAGUAR".

Old 02-16-09, 06:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I did just that and drove the RX on Sunday at the "intro event". Nobody was interested in the 2 RX's except for me so I drove one. Plush, quiet, smooth, it should keep the RX loyalist happy. But it's boring, the windshield is mini-van weird, the tan interior a bit too light in color to be practical. Not very attractive with that underbite front end but does have a wider stance than the old narrow track RX. No break-through product, nice enough.
Old 02-16-09, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Oh and again IMO, you have to get the LEDS. It give the front end a totally different and more aggresive look.

Old 02-16-09, 06:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's cushy-handling, yes, but the ride was not quite as cushy as I had expected, even with the 60-series tires, and it had a little of the typical-SUV fore/aft porpoising motions. Did you notice that on your test drive?
I'm kind of used to that SUV/crossover/unibody/station wagon on stilts type of ride after owning a few, but I'm a bit tired of it too. I think your ride observations are valid for almost all of these vehicles, more the result to trying to achieve sports sedan ride and handling with a tall/high center of gravity/elevated for road clearance station wagon. A sport sedan can achieve a better ride/handling combo strictly for on-road use of course.
Old 02-16-09, 07:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh and again IMO, you have to get the LEDS. It give the front end a totally different and more aggresive look.
Are the LED lights available on the RX350? I thought they were only on the hybrid, and were standard?
Old 02-16-09, 07:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
someone has a name you know
Lol....I thought it was you, but was too lazy to actually go back and search the threads. Thank you!
Old 02-16-09, 07:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The wife saw a commercial tonight and seems a little interested. I want her to experience the Lexus quality and service. She has had an infiniti G35 and Acura TL. I think if she checks out Lexus she will be sold on the brand. The new RX seems safe and has enough room for a couple of babies. It may end up in our driveway next year. I keep hearing from insiders that the auto market will be a bloody desperate mess in 2010. I am going to wait . If I can get a smoking deal on an LS I may make a switch as well. The idea of driving an LS dropped on 22's is extremely appealing to me
Old 02-16-09, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The wife saw a commercial tonight and seems a little interested. I want her to experience the Lexus quality and service. She has had an infiniti G35 and Acura TL. I think if she checks out Lexus she will be sold on the brand. The new RX seems safe and has enough room for a couple of babies. It may end up in our driveway next year. I keep hearing from insiders that the auto market will be a bloody desperate mess in 2010. I am going to wait . If I can get a smoking deal on an LS I may make a switch as well. The idea of driving an LS dropped on 22's is extremely appealing to me
Why would you want 22's on an LS? The whole idea of an LS is comfort, not sports-sedan handling.
Old 02-16-09, 08:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LEDs are not available on the RX350 and are NOT standard on the RX450h.

Quick Reply: Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350