Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
Now that is one hell of an ugly looking car.
It's sure not ugly to drive, if you are looking for refinement and all-around use/versatility.
Old 02-15-09, 12:46 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's with the $238 for the power liftgate and $110 for the 12 speaker audio when these are, presumably, included with the Premium Package adn NAV system, respectively?
Old 02-15-09, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcf8000
What's with the $238 for the power liftgate and $110 for the 12 speaker audio when these are, presumably, included with the Premium Package adn NAV system, respectively?

That's what was listed on my test car's sticker. I simply copied the info down and posted it, as I always do on a review.

Lexus has not actually sent the printed 2010 RX brochures out to dealerships yet. They may (?) be making last-minute printing revisions....or on the web site.
Old 02-15-09, 01:29 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review, I'm sure much like the last generation model the looks will grow on me. What I can't understand is that in the 21st century some designer's impression of luxury is nailing bits of tree to a dashboard - especially in that awful brown colour. It's the automotive equivalent of a pipe and slippers. The grey maple I can just about get away with but come on Lexus let's have a bit of imagination employed.
Old 02-15-09, 03:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Were I to buy one, and I may upon my return from afghanistan in Dec 2010/Jan 2011, removal of engine covers would be the first mod. YIKES! how do i check the oil?!
Old 02-15-09, 03:35 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

The engine cover is part an effort to reduce engine noise, I believe. However, I thought the engine noise of the '10 I drove was not significantly lower than my '07. It was definitely not lower at idle.
Old 02-15-09, 04:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Finally had a chance to take a quick look at the new RX

Overall Lexus is getting back to what matters. The details and little things. Overall a very nice redesign which focuses on what has made their cars so popular.

Few things that stand out.
1. The new redesign looks sleek and makes the outgoing model look very dated.
2. Look like Lexus a jackup the price way up for the Ultra Premium models.
3. New grille looks good.

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-15-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Great review,
Thanks.

What I can't understand is that in the 21st century some designer's impression of luxury is nailing bits of tree to a dashboard - especially in that awful brown colour. It's the automotive equivalent of a pipe and slippers. The grey maple I can just about get away with but come on Lexus let's have a bit of imagination employed.
Wood is more or less traditional in luxury-oriented vehicles. In fact, IMO, today's luxury-car manufacturers generally don't use ENOUGH of it.....part of it sems to be an increasing obsession with metallic trim (and carbon-fiber for sport/luxury vehicles), but, in general, they are obviously scaling back on the wood for cost-cutting.

Here is my idea of how to properly do wood in a luxury-car interior....the Jaguar XJ

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-09 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 06:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's ugly, cushy, big, soft, refined like almost all Toyota/Lexus vehicles and not very interesting to drive.

I drove it today after seeing it at the local auto show. There was little interest at the San Jose autoshow and at the dealer's "special intro" today, so I drove it anyway. I think it will still maintain it's sales numbers for the most part, selling to the type of buyer that likes the utility and luxury combo. Solid enough and improved product.
Old 02-15-09, 06:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Gotta love the way Jag does wood and leather.
Old 02-16-09, 12:43 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Wood is more or less traditional in luxury-oriented vehicles. In fact, IMO, today's luxury-car manufacturers generally don't use ENOUGH of it.....part of it sems to be an increasing obsession with metallic trim (and carbon-fiber for sport/luxury vehicles), but, in general, they are obviously scaling back on the wood for cost-cutting.

Here is my idea of how to properly do wood in a luxury-car interior....the Jaguar XJ

Good point, but "traditional" doesn't necessarily say "luxury" to me and many others. Give Jaguar their due they do know how to do wood. Lexus subcontract their wood to Yamaha who do a brilliant job of making a piece of wood look like plastic.
Old 02-16-09, 12:52 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

To me compared to Lexus wood, that Jaguar wood looks creepy.
Old 02-16-09, 01:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer no wood in my interiors... I'll always opt for aluminum when given the chance and did in both my 335i and A4 which had the option of wood or aluminum.

Some comments about the car itself.

-The interior looks to be a big improvement. It's not amazing, but the old RX interior was looking very long in the tooth and just never impressed me... it always felt a bit more cost-cutter than I expected out of Lexus and I never drove a loaner that didn't have way more rattles than most of the rest of the Lexus lineup.

-I just went to Lexus.com and apparently in my area you can't get one without 19" wheels, you can't get one WITH mark levinson (though there's some other strange upgrade option for the base sound system that's only $110?), you can apparently still get one without leather, sunroof, or heated seats in base trim (why does Lexus even bother doing that crap? so they can advertise it at a lower starting price?) and without heated seats or xenon lights if you only get the premium package... we're talking about a 40k dollar Lexus without heated seats or xenon lights?? Not to mention nothing else exciting like nav or lev.

I guess I like the car but I don't like the value or how the cars are currently available equipment-wise in my area.
Old 02-16-09, 01:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the engine cover has the wavy lines to remove heat from the engine bay more efficiently...apparently. haha

the price of the dvd screens is almost ridiculous. i dont know if anybody will actually buy it. its a >$5000 option...
Old 02-16-09, 01:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

oh and this is a small issue with the car. i noticed the new RX doesnt have the "traditional" lexus first aid kit. the past ones were made out of (faux?) leather but the new ones out of some nylon fabric material .lol. more cost cutting?

Quick Reply: Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350