Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the review!
Sure...Anytime.

There are release parties this weekend here in SoCal, as PhilipMSPT says.
CA is a big state, though. I hope you and him live near one of them.
Old 02-13-09, 08:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review, thanks! Looking forward to the RX450h review
Old 02-13-09, 11:37 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey thanks for the review, I actually checked it out today for the first time I didn't get to do a test drive though I must say it looks much better in person, the interior looks and feels very modern from the previous model even with the lack of wood from before, the pictures don't do justice this is the SUV to have, I don't see any other SUV around $40-$45k to choose over this.
Old 02-14-09, 12:12 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I just find devices like that difficult and awkward to use
It's a great review. But I have heard so many good things about the Remote Touch, so you saying something like that.... are you a bit older...?
Old 02-14-09, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Great review, thanks!
Sure. Anytime.

Looking forward to the RX450h review
The Hybrid won't be out until April. Instead of doing a whole new review (which takes a lot of time), I may just test-drive the Hybrid and do a quick update to this review instead, describing the Hybrid's price, powertrain, and dash gauges. The rest of the it should be pretty similiar to the 350.
Old 02-14-09, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
It's a great review. But I have heard so many good things about the Remote Touch, so you saying something like that.... are you a bit older...?
You're right, I'm not young. But I would feel the same way about it if I was a teen-ager. I find computer screens and joy-stick or mouse controls difficult to use while driving. Bumps, for exmple, can make smooth use of it difficult and to put the cursor right where you want it.

I was also a pilot some years ago and, in the general-aviation class, found analog aircraft instruments easier to deal with than digital cockpit displays (and, as a pilot, you have to multi-task.......for the most part, there is no such thing as flying without it).

I obviously don't have any problems with computer use in general.....look at the number of posts I have on CL.
Old 02-14-09, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Hey Mike great great review on the RX. Let me say I don't fully disagree with you about "remote touch". I much prefer touch screen and buttons but AGAIN thats all I am mostly used too. Maybe over time I would like remote touch like i like touch screen.

What really did "wow" me was I sat in the new RX and played with the remote touch with no issues and it felt very comfortable and was easy to use. In comparison I-drive is the complete opposite. You click and turn and it just isn't very intuitive (to me) like remote touch is. I give BMW credit for trying to come out with a way to minimize buttons and come with another way to control the cars electronics first but Lexus made it way way easier to use with their method.

Old 02-14-09, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey Mike great great review on the RX.
Thanks. I got a fair number of requests for it. The Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLK are next on the list, subject to local availability.

Let me say I don't fully disagree with you about "remote touch". I much prefer touch screen and buttons but AGAIN thats all I am mostly used too. Maybe over time I would like remote touch like i like touch screen.

What really did "wow" me was I sat in the new RX and played with the remote touch with no issues and it felt very comfortable and was easy to use. In comparison I-drive is the complete opposite. You click and turn and it just isn't very intuitive (to me) like remote touch is. I give BMW credit for trying to come out with a way to minimize buttons and come with another way to control the cars electronics first but Lexus made it way way easier to use with their method.
I understand where you are coming from, but my experience has been that, in most cases, while you are trying to keep your eyes on the road, the simpler the controls you are dealing with, the better.

That is one of the reasons why there are so many accidents with cell phones and text messaging.......people are too busy pushing buttons and reading screens instead of driving.

I also found that out years ago as a pilot, especially in landing approaches with crosswinds and turbulence. Under those conditions, you have to fly, keep your eyes on the runway ahead, and correct for changing aircraft attitudes every second......nose up, down, wings level or banking into the wind, sideslips, etc.....fiddling with computers won't cut it. If you let the wind and turbulence get the best of you even momentarily, it could mean an accident.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-09 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-14-09, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Thanks. I got a fair number of requests for it. The Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLK are next on the list, subject to local availability.

I understand where you are coming from, but my experience has been that, in most cases, while you are trying to keep your eyes on the road, the simpler the controls you are dealing with, the better.

That is one of the reasons why there are so many accidents with cell phones and text messaging.......people are too busy pushing buttons and reading screens instead of driving.

I also found that out years ago as a pilot, especially in landing approaches with crosswinds and turbulence. Under those conditions, you have to fly, keep your eyes on the runway ahead, and correct for changing aircraft attitudes every second......nose up, down, wings level or banking into the wind, sideslips, etc.....fiddling with computers won't cut it. If you let the wind and turbulence get the best of you even momentarily, it could mean an accident.
Mike I 100% agree with keeping the eyes on the road. It takes some self-control to drive how we SHOULD but we both know cars have become mobile homes in the last 10 years. Thanks for the pilot assesment.

Old 02-14-09, 10:24 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure. Anytime.

The Hybrid won't be out until April. Instead of doing a whole new review (which takes a lot of time), I may just test-drive the Hybrid and do a quick update to this review instead, describing the Hybrid's price, powertrain, and dash gauges. The rest of the it should be pretty similiar to the 350.
Either way, I'm looking forward to it!
Old 02-14-09, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

thanks very much for the great review mike, as always!!!

looks like another home run for lexus (although for me the looks aren't a home run)
Old 02-15-09, 10:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review as always Mike
Old 02-15-09, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review mike, as always!!!
Thanks A number or folks were waiting for this one. In fact, as a 2010 model, I'm surprised Lexus released the non-hybrid model as early as they did (February).

looks like another home run for lexus (although for me the looks aren't a home run)
The RX has always been one of my favorite SUVs. Looking back now, I almost wished I had bought one instead of the yellow IS300 I got...an RX would have been far better as a winter vehicle, where the IS300 was almost worthless. But I did enjoy that IS300 while I owned it....and that's how I joined CL.

Though Subaru makes what is probably as good or better an AWD system for less money, no Subaru on the market has the RX's refinement and riding quietness. Subaru engines tend to be somewhat unrefined.
Old 02-15-09, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Great review as always Mike
Thanks, Russ.

The Audi Q5 and Mercedes GL are next, subject to availability.
Old 02-15-09, 11:03 AM
insider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that is one hell of an ugly looking car.

Quick Reply: Special Review: 2010 Lexus RX350