Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Solara lives

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 10:19 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solara lives

The Camry Solara convertible will live on for another two years. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/11/t...-gallows-pole/

I wonder if the SC can be saved as well
Old 08-11-08, 10:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always believed that the Solara should live on.

It's the only midsized Japanese car that offers a convertible option for less than $30k. The Accord and Altima don't offer such a drop-top option. And sure, the G6 and Sebring offer something similar, but they are extremely far from being as comfortable and plush as the Solara, especially when compared to the SLE variant.

My only quirks with the Solara:

--I don't think it needs to be sporty-handling because it is a barge of a vehicle. Suspension modifications need only minimal tweaking. However, it will benefit from the current 3.5L 270hp Camry engine, instead of the old 3.3L V6 with only 210 hp.

--A hardtop would be nice, but I think it would be more appropriate for the 3rd Gen Solara (if that is ever produced).

--TRD needs to offer OEM modifications for this. Damn, TRD does a hell of a lot with the Tundra and FJ Cruiser, but NOTHING with the Solara.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-11-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 10:31 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's the only midsized Japanese car that offers a convertible option for less than $30k. The Accord and Altima don't offer such a drop-top option. And sure, the G6 and Impala offer something similar, but they are extremely far from being as comfortable and plush as the Solara, especially when compared to the SLE variant.
Impala? Did you mean something else?
Old 08-11-08, 10:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

It's the only midsized Japanese car that offers a convertible option for less than $30k. The Accord and Altima don't offer such a drop-top option. And sure, the G6 and Impala offer something similar, but they are extremely far from being as comfortable and plush as the Solara, especially when compared to the SLE variant.
You forgot about the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. Hell, if Korean automaker Hyndai comes out with a Genisis drop top then look out Toyota...
Old 08-11-08, 10:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I think Toyota is rethinking all its USA operations as sales of Toyota, Scion and Lexus are all in the tank. The worst is Lexus. The problem with the USA made Toyota's is that they really can't be sold anywhere else.

If they plan to redesign the Solara then they must redesign it so that it can be sold in other markets outside North America. Not sure if there are any markets that want one tho.

Trouble with Tundra, Sequoia, Solara and Avalon (even thou its sold in some middle east markets) is that that nobody outside North America wants them
Old 08-11-08, 10:49 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the Solara should stay but I also wonder if a revival of Toyota's coupe lineup will result in more specific definitions for these vehicles.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think Toyota is rethinking all its USA operations as sales of Toyota, Scion and Lexus are all in the tank. The worst is Lexus. The problem with the USA made Toyota's is that they really can't be sold anywhere else.
You are right, sales are down, including at Lexus, but they haven't collapsed utterly. 158,893 sales so far this year vs. 187,343 last year (which was a record-breaking year). However definitely there is room for improvement in the US.
Old 08-11-08, 10:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Impala? Did you mean something else?
Whoops!

I meant Sebring.

Fixed.
Old 08-11-08, 11:17 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

You are right, sales are down, including at Lexus, but they haven't collapsed utterly. 158,893 sales so far this year vs. 187,343 last year (which was a record-breaking year). However definitely there is room for improvement in the US.
They are down about 30,000 unites year over year. IMO there is a major problem going on with Lexus. IMO the concept of luxury by Lexus is outdated and this is the reason why sales are down and furthermore why Lexus is rethinking its F performance line up. Also hurting sales is the lack of a redesign.

Lexus SUV are seriously outdated. LX570 sells very well because of the lack of competition in the uber full size SUV market but compared to a Range Rover the LX enentually needs to IRS or body of frame at some day.

Compare a GX to a G-class, MDX, Infiniti, X5 and the GX comes DEAD LAST.

Lexus needs to reinvent themeselves big time. Eventually we should see that with dedicated hybrid, a IS coupe/convertible and maybe even a small Rav souced SUV..all the signs of going down market. GX/SC will eventually be deleted and we should see a new cross over JX

Eventually IMO Lexus is going to have to go either down market with there pricing or way up market which means less sales. Today there are so many more options other than Lexus for luxury and performance that a buyer can go after.

The biggest opportunity for Lexus will be the IS and hybrid models. I think enventually the GS model will have to be killed off as there won't be any room for the GS and LS models.
Old 08-11-08, 11:24 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ Ithink the gx is a great vehicle for it's price and it's league. First of, the g-wagon should be in the same league as the range rover and lx, second of all most people would, at least the ones i know would and have picked the gx over the mdx, while i fidn the q7 extremely nice, i highly doubt they are selling that well either. If anything the gx ,considering what it is, is a hit
Old 08-11-08, 11:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lexus can't clutter up their lineup with convertibles, coupes, F-vehicles, otherwise they will derail from their original intent: Luxury

There will always be a GS model because there is a class for it. The only way I can see the GS being killed off is if Lexus created another vehicle that's about the same size, while offering more at a lower price. I doubt that will happen. Worse comes to worse, Lexus will redesign the GS to fix any flaws it has/had.
Old 08-11-08, 11:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
^^^ Ithink the gx is a great vehicle for it's price and it's league. First of, the g-wagon should be in the same league as the range rover and lx, second of all most people would, at least the ones i know would and have picked the gx over the mdx, while i fidn the q7 extremely nice, i highly doubt they are selling that well either. If anything the gx ,considering what it is, is a hit
The GX is not a stable vehicle imo & I would not want to be behind the wheel of one making an accident avoidance maneuver on the highway.. The GX needs a stable chassis & better driver control ala the competition. Hopefully, the above mentioned will be addressed next generation.. Speaking of competion, I had an opportunity to drive the GX and its competition just last year on an autocross/driving event sponsored by BMW..

Old 08-11-08, 11:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If anything the gx ,considering what it is, is a hit
What is was...was a hit. Not anymore. The market for body on frame SUVs are dead and a redesign of the GX with a body of frame for the USA is not going to happen. I am not taking away any of the capabilities of the GX or refinement or materials but there are alternatives to the GX.

The new Mercedes G class does fine with uni body structure and the GX needs to go this way.

Toyota could of a had a huge hit right now if the designed their Sequioa with unibody platform, a little smaller body with a 7500 lb tow capacity. Use that design for the next GX>

the g-wagon should be in the same league as the range rover and lx,
There is just not enough competition in this category to force Toyota to change the LX.
Old 08-11-08, 11:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The only way I can see the GS being killed off is if Lexus created another vehicle that's about the same size, while offering more at a lower price
That is what I said earlier. Lexus needs to go down market with pricing. I still don't know why there is a 342 v8 in the lineup when there is is a fantastic 3.5 303hp v6.

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-11-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 11:53 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i want the current solara dead. I hated it when i had one, I hate it now even tho i traded it in for the IS 250.

I will hate that car till the end of time lol

the Solara is a USDM only car and that's it's problem.

Next solara has to meet or beat the performance/luxury/styling points the rest of the competition has to offer, ie Altima Coupe, Accord Coupe, etc etc

Same thing with the SC, they need to make it better, ie not having a heavy barge come with stiff suspension that's been dumbed down to be sorta cushier than it was in a car with really light power steering with no feedback?

c'mon a sport coupe that has very little sport in it. same with the solara.

if ur gonna keep the solara, stick in the new 3.5 and restyle it to look better.
Old 08-11-08, 12:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

the Solara is a USDM only car and that's it's problem.
Toyota is just realizing this...Now it appears that they want to try and sell the Tundra and Sequoia in some overseas markets. Problem is that these trucks and SUV have poor payloads, weaker frames and just too big..it does have good towing when unloaded.

Quick Reply: Solara lives