Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Genesis Coupe pricing (+ R-Spec Genesis Coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 01:46 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-16-09, 01:46 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-16-09, 01:47 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-16-09, 01:51 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-16-09, 02:13 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

I can't believe I'm saying this either, but that might be my next DD! The design looks great and the price is incredible!
Old 02-16-09, 02:20 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

that orange looks hawt! put a CF hood and it will look like the concept!
Old 02-16-09, 02:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Don't forget the fantastic warranty Hyundai provides. I wonder how "mod friendly" this warranty will be. We all know how Mitsubishi dealt with all the EVO modders.

Damn, that car might get me out of my SC........
I'm pretty sure Hyundai will be very mod friendly. They sold several of the pre-production models to tuners to get the aftermarket stuff going before the cars came out. That sounds mod friendly to me.

This pricing structure makes this a wonderful car to consider. I am thinking of getting either a 97-00 SC400, 03-06 350Z or G35 as a weekend sport driver.
The Genesis coupe is so cheap it might find itself in the running.
Old 02-16-09, 08:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
In the words of Russell Peters

"Mind Blasting!"
LMAO...... LOL...LMAO. It is "Mind Blasting". Its 300+ hp and for starting price of 25K. Mustang GT can kiss off as the cheapest car that makes 300 hp
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Genesis Coupe pricing (+ R-Spec Genesis Coupe)-dsc05291.jpg  
Old 02-16-09, 08:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I cant believe that for less than 30 K total you can have a tuned Genesis coupe that will look just as good as a 45K infiniti G37 coupe
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Genesis Coupe pricing (+ R-Spec Genesis Coupe)-dsc05265.jpg  
Old 02-16-09, 10:14 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

werd!! Lose the grill and its great. ....interior shots?
Im might be making my girl buuy one
Old 02-17-09, 04:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Get this thing on the road already. I will go to the dealer in the SC to test drive one ha ha.
Old 02-21-09, 02:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

some driving impressions from other forums

"This is the car I put 3k miles on(not lowered or with those wheels). That picture was taken at Hyundai's California Proving Grounds. That picture was taken on the VDA pad(a 53 acre asphalt test pad).

I work there, testing cars. Really, abusing cars. Doing **** to these cars I wouldn't do to my own car.

I tested the 3.8 track model(in auto- not the flappy paddle auto) as the 2.0T was finished testing when I started. I like it, but it needs a bit more tire under it. At the limit it tends to push. It's taunt on the highway(sometimes rough on these poor SoCal freeways- but no where near as bad as the Kia Soul). Steering is weighted but not hard. It has good power and pulls all the way to redline. The auto shifted pretty stiff, not this pansy slipping between gears some transmissions do. All in all, I really liked the car. The 100k mile test schedule was over too quick, imo. I didn't get to play around with the car much as I had to adhear to a strict test schedule, but with the way the car has held up(running 24hrs/day, 5 days/week for 100k miles) I'd look into buying one if I could aford it.

One of the tests had us driving at 20+mph and driving into "potholes" 4" deep. The factory 19" wheels held up. Even though it sounded as if the suspension was going to be ripped off the car.

I was actually praising the cars wheels. The rubber bands they pur on these 19" wheels don't offer much protection from bumps. And its not like the "potholes" we have are what you'd find on the road. Ours are 4" deep squared holes in concrete with steel lips(for longevity of the concrete). I doubt any modern car with huge wheels and ultra low profile tires would "ride that out in style". We put 40k miles on the car since I started working there(it had 60k when I started) and it never went down for repair. Trust me, I not a Hyundai nutswinger, but after driving this car through the testing procedures I have, I am impressed. This car stood up to abuse I would never put my own car through.

I have even see the suspension off the car(car was stripped prior to shipping back to Korea). There are a few things I would have done differently, but unless the metal is of a weaker quality, the parts look as good as any of the stuff I've seen come off Toyotas or Hondas.

I'm not unbiased, I actually don't like most of the cars I have to test. But damnit if this Coupe didn't impress me. Stupid ****ing sexy car.

I was supposed to go work for Honda testing their cars, but they suck so now I'm driving at Hyundai. "
Old 02-21-09, 02:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

another one

A friend of mine has a friend who is a salesperson at a dealership here. I get a text last night saying they got one in and it'd be out of prep and stuff today.. So while I'm at work he comes by and walks up to me with keys in his hand. Time to abandon my post for about 10 minutes. I knew it was a 3.8 auto, I thought it was red. Nope, I got outside and it was black as night.

Yup, V6, auto, base model. Black leather interior, paddle shifters, no sunroof, but everyone here knows the specifics. I like the layout of the interior. The silver actually looks pretty nice in person. I see what people are saying about the air vents. I wouldn't call their placement "stupid" really, but they look lower than what I'm used to. In all of the pictures the interior looks pretty cheap, to be honest. Inside the car it feels solid and well-built. It just feels like quality. The seats were supportive and bolstered well. They don't feel like you're going to slide all over the place, but they're also not too restrictive. No telescopic wheel, but I was able to tilt it up and get the seat into a comfortable driving position relatively easily. The leather is nice and soft, feels like good quality. The plastics are hard and don't feel flimsy, but I didn't give the whole inside a rub down to see if they were soft-touch. Outside, the car is just gorgeous in my opinion. No matter what people tell you, pictures do not do this car justice. Interior or exterior. You just have to see it. And for the record, the one I drove, the headlights were chrome. So I'm guessing that it's looking like non-hid gets chrome and hid gets darker housings.

To hammer another nail into the coffin of the vs G37 looks debate, I don't see it nearly as much in person. Like I said before, and my friend agreed, the rear has some Aston cues, but overall the car looks like a grown up Tiburon. A grown up, badass, rear wheel drive Tiburon.

So yeah, I had to go back to work, but when we got out we went straight over to the dealership, talked a bit, and then we took it out. I don't know the area extremely well, so I didn't push the car very hard. It definitely packs a bit of a punch from a stop, like anything you'd expect with 300hp. The engine is responsive and the transmission fared better than I'd give it credit had I not driven the car. It just eats up the rev band when you put that pedal down. Shifts are smooth and don't feel overly sluggish for it not being SMG/DSG type. The paddle shifters are fun, upshifts are pretty good, downshifting takes a bit more time. If you floor the car in paddle mode it'll throw you right into the correct gear. Cruising along in 5th, want some more power. Put that pedal to the floor and it drops to 3rd. You can't hold the gears forever though. If you drop too low in the revs or you hit redline, it'll shift for you. As far as the exhaust, it's a bit quiet from the factory, not horribly loud or intrusive. It does have a nice, mean sound to it though if you get on it. Revving it while parked sounds great as well, followed by some nice burbles as the revs drop back down to idle. I'm thinking it'd sound sick with a nice exhaust setup.

It corners well, but I do think that it'd handle even better with some stickier tires or probably even the factory 19s. As it is the 18s and the equipped Bridgestones are suitable for driving, but they'll give up traction pretty easily. That rear end doesn't take a whole lot to step out, and you can bet that stability control will throw you right back where you belong. The suspension is firm but not rough. It's a good balance for every day driving. I prefer mine to be a little stiffer than most people do, but I have yet to try a track model with the upgraded suspension. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go aftermarket anyway. The car is fairly low by some people's standards, but not low enough for me.. The stock non-Brembo brakes perform really well, better than I thought they would, so I'm really wanting to see how the Brembos are.

Surprisingly enough the standard 6 speaker audio system is pretty nice. It's factory, so it's a bit muddy, but it's not overly bright and still has enough bass that I wouldn't be dying to throw everything out the day I got the car. I'm not sure if anyone knows, but one thing I'd like to point out that I haven't seen on the board is that the USB/Aux/iPod jack is in the center console under the arm rest. I love the placement. I'm sick of plugging a cord into the glovebox and then stringing it over the entire car. It faces up, so you're not going to fit a flash drive in there without an extension cable, for what it's worth. A 2.5" portable hard drive, if supported, would definitely fit in the available space though. Food for though for those with large music collections.

I drove it for a while and my friend drove it. He really likes it as well, and he kept saying how much he liked the steering wheel. His daily driver is a modded AP1 S2000 if that gives any indication as what he's used to. His only complaint was that the steering wheel audio controls get in the way of his hand placement.

I'm really trying to come up with some cons to the car to make it sound like a completely unbiased review. I hate to sound like a fanboy. Hyundai owes me nothing and I've never owned one in the past. So if there are any complaints, I'd say that like I pointed out earlier, the tires are going to need an upgrade if you're going to do some more spirited driving. Another is that you are definitely not going to get anyone tall in the back. I'm 6'3" and I had to slide down into the rear bucket to fit back there, or sit with my head tilted to the side. For their sake, please don't put anyone tall in the back. My friend is shorter than me and he didn't fit either. Uhhh.. Really can't think of anything else.. The paint has some orange peel in it, although not nearly as much as the R Spec picture shows. The Bathurst Black is supposed to be metallic, but it took us a long time to find metal flakes, and only after it was completely dark outside and the car was parked under the dealer lights could we see them. I guess that's not a con though, just pointing it out. I like it, doesn't make it look two-toned or anything.. Looks gorgeous with the sunset reflecting off of the black though.

I think that covers it. If anyone wants to know anything else I missed let me know and I'll try and answer it. Oh yeah, they were asking about a 1200 dollar markup on it. We didn't talk final numbers because he knows I'm not buying one for a while, but he said there'd be no way I'd be expected to pay it. When I'm ready I'm going to go see him and he's going to work the numbers as low as he can to get me into one. It helps to know people I guess.

All in all, I think everyone who's been looking forward to this car is going to be quite pleased with the vehicle. I think all the haters are going to have a rude awakening too. I love the car. I'm pretty much sold on it. I'm awaiting a call when they have a 2.0 track model in, because that's what I'm aiming for. It's just too bad I still hear people say "Well, it's nice, but I'd still never buy it because it's a Hyundai." As far as my friend put it, "Well yeah, that's what I thought too. But then I drove it."
Old 02-21-09, 02:16 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

here is another one

The following is a test drive impression of a 3.8 V6 Grand Touring done by a 350Z owner. NOTE: I have no idea where this person is located, US or Canada or somewhere else.

Basically every major Hyundai dealership in town received one Genesis Coupe. They were all the Grand Touring V6 so I didn't really have a choice on what to test drive. Naturally I went to the dealership that was closest to me and had the 6-speed version as opposed to the auto.

First impressions:
The car looks awesome in person. The exterior's lines flow very well and I was especially impressed with the rear. The front is still growing on me, but I could definitely see it looking better with a lip kit. The Grand Touring comes with the 18" wheels which look decent, but I think the 19's will fill out the fender arches a lot nicer. I'd love to see a photochop of my 19" SSR GT3's on the Genesis Coupe.

The interior also really impressed me. The car I test drove had brown leather. I'm not crazy about brown, so I'd definitely opt for black leather if I were to get the car. The sunroof is a very welcome feature - I missed having one in the Z. I know the Z's roofline doesn't quite allow for the placement of a sunroof, so it was nice to see it fit the Coupe. All of the interior features are very well spaced out. The push-button start is convenient and the iPod integration is great as well. The trunk release and gas door buttons are located on the driver's droor; it took me a few seconds to find them. Speaking of the gas door, it is located on the driver's side - which to me is more convenient that the Z's passenger-side placement. The trunk definitely has space over both the 350Z and 370Z. The back seat is small but can still fit two smaller people (girls!) pretty comfortably. When you need the extra trunk space, the rear seat can be folded down.

Finally the test drive. I should point out that both times I test drove it, I had 3 people in the car total. The acceleration is very smooth and comparable to that of my HR's, possibly a tiny bit slower. My butt dyno is due for its calibration though (no gay comments plz). I definitely liked the feel of the shifter as I was rowing through the gears. It didn't encounter any resistance and was very smooth. The redline came rather quickly at 6500 rpms as opposed to the 7500 on my Z. The electronic fuel cutoff at redline is felt very sharply - the Gen Coupe does not allow for overrevving. There is a button to turn off traction control - or so I thought. After shifting at redline and realizing that the traction control was on I decided to turn it off to see the difference. I was a bit disappointed to find out that the button does not turn the tcs off but rather just reduces it by 20% - or so my sales rep told me. Either way, turning "off" the tcs does not work. When shifting at redline the car still bucks and refuses to allow the tires to slip whatsoever. I was actually told that Hyundai pulls out the tcs fuse for their drift/burnout demos. Perhaps that's what I'll have to do in order to break the tires loose if I get the car... The car has power but it doesn't sound like it. It would definitely benefit from a true dual exhaust, both to open it up a bit and unleash its acoustic fury. In stock form it seems like a very civil car, one perfectly suited to take your mother to dinner in.

The handling was nice from the little I got to experiment with it. The Grand Touring does not come with the upgraded suspension or the Brembo brakes that are on the Track version. Through the few twisties/corners I was able to take it on, the car handled very well. The body roll is about the same as that of my Z. Again though, I did have two other people in the car with me.

Overall I was very impressed. Impressed enough to consider ordering a 3.8 V6 Track in Karussel White. For now they are nowhere to be found, but I was offered to leave a $500 deposit for them to order one for me. They only offered me $16k for my Z (2007 Enthusiast with 30k miles) so I told them no go. I'll keep looking though, this car definitely feels like a winner to me and I am seriously considering replacing the Z with it.
Old 02-21-09, 02:21 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I called my local dealer and they will have couple of v6 auto by this thursday! i'm gonna go check it out. they said 4banger won't available till april though. damn.

Quick Reply: 2010 Genesis Coupe pricing (+ R-Spec Genesis Coupe)