Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 ALG Residual Value Awards

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 10:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2009 ALG Residual Value Awards

Automotive Lease Guide has announced its annual Residual Value Awards, which honor those vehicles in each automotive segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original price after a conventional three-year lease term.

The awards are based on 2009 model year vehicles. For the seventh year, ALG has also included awards for the brands that have the highest overall predicted resale values among all industry and all luxury vehicles. Award winners are featured on ALG.com and other automotive publications and websites dedicated to bringing the industry's best-performing models into the public eye.

ALG's 2009 Brand Study
For the sixth consecutive year, Honda has won the Industry Brand Residual Value Award. Honda also received individual segment awards for the Accord in the Midsize Car category, and the Honda Fit in the Compact Car category.

In addition, Acura, Honda’s luxury division, has won the overall Luxury Brand Residual Value Award for the first time. Although Acura does not have any segment winners, all of its vehicles’ residual values are relatively strong, with the new TL and TSX ranking among the highest in their segments.

Industry Brand Residual Value Rankings

1. HONDA
2. SUBARU
3. VOLKSWAGEN
4. TOYOTA
5. NISSAN
6. MAZDA
7. SUZUKI
8. SATURN
9. PONTIAC
Only brands above the industry average were ranked. Below industry average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Buick, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Mercury and Mitsubishi.

Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings

1. ACURA
2. LEXUS
3. AUDI
4. INFINITI
5. LAND ROVER
6. BMW
7. PORSCHE
8. MERCEDES BENZ
Only brands above the luxury average were ranked. Below luxury average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Cadillac, Jaguar, Lincoln, Saab and Volvo.

Note: All brands with vehicles in at least three segments were included. As a result of this requirement, MINI and Scion were excluded from the above rankings.

Compact Midsize Utility
Mid-Compact Large Utility
Midsize Near Luxury Utility
Full-size Luxury Utility
Sporty Compact/ Midsize Pick-up
Near Luxury Minivan
Luxury Hybrid
Luxury Sports Full-size Pick-up
Compact Utility (tie) Commercial Specialty

For further information, please contact Fernando Ubeda at (805) 898-8444.
Old 02-03-09, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol, so now who says bmw and mb retain values better than lexus

all the lease numbers are bunch of BS by dealerships and manufacturers. but then again, i am happy bmw and mb are doing that so we get all these attractive lease deals
Old 02-03-09, 10:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

and Acura is #1 because most of their sales are low end luxury brand cars, they lack models in the higher priced range which usually depreciate much faster than the the low end models ... They are #1 in holding their value in Canada too, & they have the CSX here.
Lexus is also above BMW & Mercedes in resale value in Canada despite being more expensive to lease...
Old 02-03-09, 11:15 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you consider higher priced range? The same thing can be said about Lexus.
Old 02-03-09, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rogers2
What do you consider higher priced range? The same thing can be said about Lexus.
the most expensive acura is what, 50k at most? lexus has a line of cars 60k and upward, all the way to 120k. deprecations on those cars are often far worse than cheaper cars. same with bmw and mb, a lot of cars in those range
Old 02-03-09, 11:41 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is land rover on that list?? you can get a lr3 for under 20k some around 15 !! that car starts at 50k!!
Old 02-03-09, 11:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
and Acura is #1 because most of their sales are low end luxury brand cars, they lack models in the higher priced range which usually depreciate much faster than the the low end models ... They are #1 in holding their value in Canada too, & they have the CSX here.
Lexus is also above BMW & Mercedes in resale value in Canada despite being more expensive to lease...
Exactly. You can get a 2005 RL for under 20k if you look hard enough. Most are in the low 20s. THey have the resale value of milkshake straw after Magic Johnson drank from it.
So Acura is #1 b/c they are the cheapest. The irony (again) of this "luxury" brand.

Old 02-03-09, 12:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THey have the resale value of milkshake straw after Magic Johnson drank from it.
roflmao.....
Old 02-03-09, 12:21 PM
rogers2
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
the most expensive acura is what, 50k at most? lexus has a line of cars 60k and upward, all the way to 120k. deprecations on those cars are often far worse than cheaper cars. same with bmw and mb, a lot of cars in those range
HA HA man give me a break. Lexus offer one car that's 120k. Anything to pull down Acura.

What line of cars? Only two Lexus cars start over 60k.
Lexus is number #2 for the same reason. Price and reliability

On another note when did Audi started doing so good in this dept?
Old 02-03-09, 12:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the concise stats.
Old 02-03-09, 12:49 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HA HA man give me a break. Lexus offer one car that's 120k. Anything to pull down Acura.

Yes, audi used to have the worst in the reliability department. It breaks down and fall apart like bread crums. since they are placing the judgements on newer models. Audi really step their game up. The older Engine with the twine turbos use to blow after 90 to 100K. That's an 4 grand fix, or people usually just upgrade their Turbos. Their V8s have tranny that breaks every other week because it couldn't handle the power. Electric sensors can nose bleed on a hot summer day. But since then they stop the turbos on their A line and build Stronger Tranny.
Old 02-03-09, 01:17 PM
LexFather

I like you so I am going to make this quick and painless (Estimates off the top of my head)
Acura
TSX starts at 28k-32k loaded
TL-starts at 35k-44k loaded
RL-starts at 48k-54k loaded
RDX-starts at 34k-38k loaded
MDX-starts at 40k-46k loaded

Lexus
IS 250 30k-48k loaded
IS 350 35k-55k loaded
IS-F 56k-65k loaded
GS 350-45k-55k loaded
GS 450h-55k-64k loaded
GS 460 52k-54k loaded
LS 460-62k-96k loaded
LS 600-104k-118k loaded
SC-65k-70k? loaded
RX 350-38k-48k loaded
RX 400h-45k-50k loaded
GX 470- 46k-55k loaded
LX 570- 75k-85k loaded

Its not close as it shouldn't be. One is a full fledged tier 1 luxury brand and the other is a Tier III entry level pre luxury brand.

What Henry and Andrew stated stands.

Old 02-03-09, 01:53 PM
rogers2
Racer

Thanks for take it easy on me. I'm not disagree with ya'll that Lexus offer more expensive cars than Acura. Acura is a step down. I just feel Lexus is #2 for some of the same reasons and from what I see the only cars Lexus is really selling is the ES and RX from your list. Oops the IS.
Old 02-03-09, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for take it easy on me. I'm not disagree with ya'll that Lexus offer more expensive cars than Acura. Acura is a step down. I just feel Lexus is #2 for some of the same reasons and from what I see the only cars Lexus is really selling is the ES and RX from your list. Oops the IS.
Who knows (numerically) what the difference between #1 or #2 is, wonder if it's even significant. It's a good place for any auto company to be.
Old 02-03-09, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks mike, i am sure i can count with my eyes closed more than TWO lexus selling for more than 50k, so roger you give me a break

talking about sheer selling volume then acura is purely pathetic, and if you talk about popular sales, everyone can logically tell you the lower end sells more. 3 series, a4, and c class, anyone?

but the higher end models are what pulling down the resale avg, and don't even try to tell me lexus don't sell a lot of ls460. i don't know about MD but here in cali i see crap load of ls460 together with 7 series and s class

Quick Reply: 2009 ALG Residual Value Awards