Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 ALG Residual Value Awards

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 06:42 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the irrational hatred for Acura is beyond all belief. And the arguments used here to ridicule their victory are doubtless the same ones being used on BMW and MB forums to denigrate Lexus...

Isn't it just the slightest bit possible that Acuras hold their value well because they are well-built cars that last a long time and that people are willing to buy used? And that Acura's value pricing model, which packs a lot of features in at a lower price point than the competition, helps as well?

The same argument applies to Honda winning the non-luxury segment as well. Actually, just look at all the Japanese cars on that list! People believe that Japanese cars will run forever, so they'll pay more for a used one than they will an American used car.
Old 02-04-09, 07:06 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't say Lexus don't sell cars over 50k. I said Lexus only has two cars that have a starting price over 50k, which is correct. Go to the Lexus website. I don’t care about the loaded prices because no one is really paying that amount for cars these days. For example, a full loaded 335i is over 70k.

If you look at 1SICKLEX listed, you'll understand where i am coming from.

No one is paying over 50K for an IS these days unless it's the F series.
The SC and GS sells are pathetic so what's left only the LS. I still don't understand why the GS is not selling well that car is beautiful in white.

Honestly, I don't see a lot LS's in the DC Metro area. The only Lexus’s I see are the IS's, ES's and of course the RX's.

I don't like suv's or trucks so I’m not going to bother discussion their price.

Lexus car prices are lower than their competitor is. Therefore, from my conclusion Lexus is #2 on this list because they're reliable and offer valuable prices.

Which is a good thing so I don’t understand your frustrate with my post.

Remember this not about Acura this about the list.

Last edited by rogers2; 02-04-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 07:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
. For example, a full loaded 335i is over 70k.
They are?
Old 02-04-09, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Wow, the irrational hatred for Acura is beyond all belief. And the arguments used here to ridicule their victory are doubtless the same ones being used on BMW and MB forums to denigrate Lexus...

Isn't it just the slightest bit possible that Acuras hold their value well because they are well-built cars that last a long time and that people are willing to buy used? And that Acura's value pricing model, which packs a lot of features in at a lower price point than the competition, helps as well?
That's exactly the point, & it's very rational, not the irrational hatred for Acura that you mentioned. The lower priced models for all brands are always better value than the higher priced ones, as you go up to the high end models, "value" decreases, & Acura's are more heavily tilted to the lower price range(which historically hold their values better) than the others. They have no higher end models to pull their average down. This is a very relevent & yes, rational way to analyze it.

Mercedes Benz ranks low in resale value retention is partially due to the fact that they sell more high-priced, high-end models than anyone else too.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-04-09 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 08:00 AM
LexFather

The only think irrational is the love for a brand that is ugly, underpowered, awful/average MPG that keeps "saying" instead of "doing", with their saving grace a cute NAV that can get Zagat. Call them Acura Garmins. If you read what people are saying instead of wearing the same ole tattered Acura cape, you would see the REASONING here.

I guess someone has to root for the LA Clippers

Old 02-04-09, 08:15 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

More evidence to add to my thesis that there is little to no correlation between reliability/cost of ownership and residual value. If that were the case, how could Volkswagen have been rated higher than Toyota? Brand perceptions have a lot to do with results like this. Say what you will, but the consumer still places a premium on "German engineering and design".
Old 02-04-09, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I didn't say Lexus don't sell cars over 50k. I said Lexus only has two cars that have a starting price over 50k, which is correct. Go to the Lexus website. I don’t care about the loaded prices because no one is really paying that amount for cars these days. For example, a full loaded 335i is over 70k.

If you look at 1SICKLEX listed, you'll understand where i am coming from.

No one is paying over 50K for an IS these days unless it's the F series.
The SC and GS sells are pathetic so what's left only the LS. I still don't understand why the GS is not selling well that car is beautiful in white.

Honestly, I don't see a lot LS's in the DC Metro area. The only Lexus’s I see are the IS's, ES's and of course the RX's.

I don't like suv's or trucks so I’m not going to bother discussion their price.

Lexus car prices are lower than their competitor is. Therefore, from my conclusion Lexus is #2 on this list because they're reliable and offer valuable prices.

Which is a good thing so I don’t understand your frustrate with my post.

Remember this not about Acura this about the list.
umm, very funny. is-f, ls460, sc430, and lx470, all of them STARTING over 50k. two? what two?

and a loaded 335i for 70k? care to show how? i just wasted time on bmwusa.com to build a 335xi sedan with everything including accessories and it's 62k?
Old 02-04-09, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Lexus Starting at 50k
GS 450h
GS 460
IS-F
SC 430
LS 460
LS 600
LX 470

This is not rocket science really. Lets look at AMG Benzs or V-12 ones as another example. Lovely cars that depreciate like a rock. Why? B/C some of their prices are very very high. A S65 is a 180k car new. A S600 is a 140k new. When they drop to 120k and 90k, well they will NEVER win this ALG award.

Old 02-04-09, 09:18 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

The question is .. what if toyota were to win this award, what will the response be?

Good job toyota
Old 02-04-09, 09:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking lol

And the arguments used here to ridicule their victory are doubtless the same ones being used on BMW and MB forums to denigrate Lexus...
I am glad that I am not the only one who notices this ... it is amazing that no matter what board/topic it is on the web, there is always some form of animosity. What did people do before the web?
Old 02-04-09, 09:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I didn't say Lexus don't sell cars over 50k. I said Lexus only has two cars that have a starting price over 50k, which is correct. Go to the Lexus website. I don’t care about the loaded prices because no one is really paying that amount for cars these days.
This point is not relevent because you can say the same about the Acura models too. The RL, their priciest flagship sedan is $50K loaded, which is lower priced than any of the flagship models of the other luxury brands, but when was the last time anyone pay MSRP (or even close to) for a loaded RL ? Are all loaded TL's and TSX's, etc., sold at,or close to MSRP's ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-04-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 09:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wmb0000
The question is .. what if toyota were to win this award, what will the response be?

Good job toyota
Even if that's the case, you also need a good analysis /argument to back it up, like we are doing here.
Old 02-04-09, 09:42 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GS69
I am glad that I am not the only one who notices this ... it is amazing that no matter what board/topic it is on the web, there is always some form of animosity. What did people do before the web?
What did they do? Go watch Braveheart.

Whats amazing is logic and reasoning is ignored b/c people want to just bish and complain. That is whats amazing. Though considering what they like, I am not surprised.

Instead of contributing, the usual suspects just come and try to stir the pot.

Old 02-04-09, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Even if that's the case, you also need a good analysis /argument to back it up, like we are doing here.

Thread summary

-Acura #1 thread posted by Acura lover
-People post the logical and sound reasoning of how that happened. No one said Lexus should be #1 or anyone else should be #1 instead. All that was stated was the REASONING behind the win-Acura brigade comes in throwing the usual jabs at members/the forum b/c they don't read, they just want to bicker b/c people have the audacity to make sense of the findings
-Kill 1SICKLEX t-shirt sales up 39%
-Acura brigade joins like Voltron trying to make a point about members/the forum is biased like they are not biased, INSTEAD of contributing to the thread and the topic at hand

Old 02-04-09, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
agree, facts and evidence are all out there, analysis are done different ways and it's up to the smart to determine what's right and wrong

Quick Reply: 2009 ALG Residual Value Awards